Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

What's up, goons? Have you been keeping fresh with some Coca Cola in this hot afternoon?

Are you ready for the next level in consumer branding promotional soft soda in the form of a Sega system??

'Cause I just got this thing and it's sick:

It had to be recapped before it started working again, but image and sound quality now are suberb :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Meanwhile the Satiator is "available" for more money and less features if that's your thing.

What features does the Satiator lack in comparison? Is it game compatibility or simply that the MODE allows the use of a hard drive?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

SCheeseman posted:

Sega doesn't care, why should you?

Yeah, no, that is a contradiction. They are still making the combined game available to buy as seen above where they can do so. That is an important distinction since this game is a mess of copyright disputes over its music due to the MJ estate and god knows who else. It's also the reason why Christian Whitehead wasn't allowed to remaster it like the other games he did.

Also, buying it from Steam gives you a rom that you can do whatever you want with it. There's mods available (from within Steam even) and you can also throw it at whatever emulator/everdrive you want.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

the specific project linked has only been tested with the Steam rom, and they strongly imply that using it with any version you didn't legally purchase will result in glitching. "Sega doesn't care" isn't being said in the sense of "it's cool to pirate it," it's being said in the sense of "use fan projects like Complete or AIR since they're not gonna give it a proper remake."

Got it. It's cool that project requires a legal version of the game. Most wouldn't bother.

drrockso20 posted:

I really don't get why they don't just replace the music if it's such an issue

I'm going to guess it's the "but it wouldn't be the authentic experience" excuse.

Funny enough, back in the 90's they released Sonic 3+K on the PC with a different soundtrack, most likely because there were already licensing problems back then. I don't know if that version's soundtrack is any good, though.

I actually have a copy of that version here from a pack thing that came with three Sonic PC games (the Sonic Action Pack), but I don't have the hardware for it and haven't bothered figuring out a VM to test it out.

IIRC, you can hear a bit of it in this LGR video that nearly the end goes over this compilation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=581n2n_V_4c

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 26, 2020

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Lethrom posted:

Does anyone who got Phantasy Star II when it was new remember if the hint book thing actually came in (or with) the box or if that was a separate thing. I managed to snag 1, 3, and 4 CIB years ago at this point but never got around to getting 2, and now that I've got my tax return I want to make bad financial decisions, but can't find a definitive answer about what CIB for 2 looks like.

What I don't know is if that map was included in all copies.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Also, what in the loving gently caress. An "acceptable" PSII just sold for 190 American dollars. It didn't even include the hint guide or the instruction manual, though it did include the map. What the gently caress is wrong with all these people? They are making my life of collecting old Sega poo poo miserable.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Dell_Zincht posted:

So I just made around £500 selling my Mega Drive games on eBay

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

1. Assuming this thing flat out can't work with my genesis games, does that necessarily mean 32X games will also not work?

Yes. If standard carts don't load, the 32X ones shouldn't either. The mushroom isn't making proper contact with the base.

Gutcruncher posted:

2. If anyone recognizes these specific symptoms, do you know of a fix I can do?

Cleaning contacts first with some alcohol and then using an eraser so the residue improves the connection. Standard techniques to get pesky carts loading.

There's also a removable, plastic piece to help secure the mushroom depending on what kind of Mega Drive version you have. Make sure you got it and it's properly attached.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

It wasn't my Mega Drive, but at the time (circa 1991), this friend got one with two packed in carts: Sonic 1 and a three-in-one compilation with Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, and Revenge of Shinobi. Having only been exposed to fami-clone and ZX Spectrum output before, I had never seen something as beautiful as all of those games were.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Booted up the MD2 Mini yesterday. This is a rather unique selection of games compared to previous MD game compilations for sure, including obviously the first MD Mini.

The included controller has a pretty good D-Pad, as all my special inputs on Fatal Fury 2 worked without missing a move. Thankfully it's the 6 buttons one this time. Unfortunately "just" six buttons probably means it won't be very useful outside the MD itself, since everything I can imagine on PC these days require L+R buttons

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I wish I would have known about this cool thing like 15 years ago. Would have snagged it from Yahoo auctions or whatever for a decent price instead of a sports cars price it probably goes for now.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Happy anniversary, you sexy hot thing!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

After The War posted:

Drop that gaudy gold text

They actually used the gold text only on the Asian market, AFAIK.

Internationally, it was turned white:

And I don't know to tell you that Mega Drive is the most Star Trek badass name ever.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Coming up soon for the Mega Drive / Genesis:

https://twitter.com/yuzokoshiro/status/1727687936890777608

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

freelop posted:

Last time this happened I had to replace the entire laser unit. ODE's seem very tempting now but I've got so many disks

Yeah, the last time a drive died out completely I replaced it with the GDEMU, and then got a second unit with a drive in good shape for the discs. Truth be told, I rarely turn on that one, but it's the thought that I can use the discs at any time that counts.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

otter posted:

Yeah but the new fenrir allows the drive to be plugged in as well, if I recall correctly.

Wow, that would be certainly new. I haven't heard about that before. Legit want to know if this is being recalled correctly because it would otherwise kill the one advantage the more expensive Satiator has.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I remember the Japanese NA version of Sega Rally 2, which came out later than the others, was much improved.

Edit: actually misremembered the regional versions and their release dates, which isn't surprising since they were both foreign to me and required a boot disc to launch

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Nov 29, 2023

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I haven't played that game in... a decade or so and got it wrong.

It's the NA version I was thinking of, which was the final release and tried to fix as many issues as the ones present in the Japanese version. The Japanese version had been a very rushed port to begin with and the baffling decision to go with Windows CE instead of the Dreamcast's native environment (which has a significant impact on performance) appears to have been to ease its later PC release.

PAL release came before the NA version and additionally had the adorable issues that PAL releases frequently had, which isn't funny when you consider the Dreamcast was the first system that started fixing that poo poo with 50/60Hz selectors and PAL resolution optimization.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Sounds like the power supply may not be passing enough power. Maybe recheck it for current/voltage and the new caps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I’d pledge for a Segagaga translation kickstarter project thing.