Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Coffee Jones posted:

Yeeeah ... that experience curve / damage calculation is weird. They expected the player to be at a higher level than what most players are when they come across that boss. Except if there’s too much of a delta between enemy level and player it only registers 1 damage per hit.

This sorta thing would be patched if they could, but I don’t think 8 and 16 bit console games from indie studios saw much pre-release testing from the public.
You could do good damage to her even a bit underleveled with magic, though!

... A thing which is disabled in every other boss fight. You can't even TRY to cast magic during most boss fights. So by the time you get to Blood Mary you have been taught to not even bother trying.

Pretty good posted:

My favourite thing about Terranigma's magic system is that the game never bothers explaining that magirock is an infinitely renewable resource, and you can use it to re-"buy" spells as much as you like. I spent my first couple playthroughs practically never using magic at all because of how stingy it seemed.

That too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

when i first played terranigma as a kid (pal guy) i somehow managed to get to the final boss at level 26, i think i mustve skipped a lot of enemies or something. at that level you only do scratch damage to everything which makes the game much harder and more tedious but still playable as long as you avoid getting hit. the final boss is ridiculously easy when youre normally leveled but at lvl26 it's only barely doable, i think i used up a full supply of healing items when i finally beat him after the 10th try or so, i also didnt know how to lure him down within range, thinking it was just random

i also beat bloody mary severely underleveled, basically you have to do a maneuver where you use the slicer to get through her gem ring without damaging her and while hitting her, and then do a single jump from a standing position right after the slicer to get over the gem ring again, while basically not getting hit more than a few times during the fight. somehow i still really enjoyed the game despite playing it like this

the problem for me was that the game assumed i was familiar with jrpg conventions like leveling and items when i wasnt really, id only played action rpgs and sort of ignored levels, i also assumed it would be like illusion of gaia where leveling happens more or less automatically

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
After running through Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Circle of the Moon, and Aria of Sorrow, I can confidently say gently caress the Zombie Dragon from CotM. I'm not the best Castlevania player, I prefer exploring much more than combat, but it felt like there was no good way to easily beat that stupid thing. I ended up hiding in a corner and using the long earth whip while sliding under to avoid attacks. Very much not a fan of bosses where I have no room to maneuver.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

After running through Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Circle of the Moon, and Aria of Sorrow, I can confidently say gently caress the Zombie Dragon from CotM. I'm not the best Castlevania player, I prefer exploring much more than combat, but it felt like there was no good way to easily beat that stupid thing. I ended up hiding in a corner and using the long earth whip while sliding under to avoid attacks. Very much not a fan of bosses where I have no room to maneuver.

That boss is a massive (literally) POS. I can't remember what I did to deal with it but I do remember being laughably underpowered, so naturally it was a long, drawn-out process that was about as much fun as slamming my hand in a car door.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I remember my first playthrough using the lighting whip that spins in a circle around you, sitting in a safe place, and letting it kill itself. The second time through I found something that did basically the same thing but more damage.

poo poo boss

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Happy Thread posted:

Hope you brought arrows to this dimension, and haven't already lost them down the infinite drop on a previous death.

Having picked up this game again to play on a friend's vanilla server, I've encountered the actual final boss of this game: my own inventory, because for some reason in the year 2020, Minecraft does not have an auto-sort option natively. :eng99:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Zereth posted:

Yeah but at launch you would, very frequently, load into that guy's fight to find he had already killed you. Hard to beat that.

Haha, ouch. Didn't know that.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Zereth posted:

Yeah but at launch you would, very frequently, load into that guy's fight to find he had already killed you. Hard to beat that.

In multiplayer this guy was a laggy death coin-toss for years

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

AverySpecialfriend posted:

It's dogshit that you have to throw your gear in the secret upgrade fairy pond to beat Ganon in LttP. Literally impossible without silver arrows.

The only requirement to beat Ganon is the Master Sword and either the Lamp or Fire Rod. That said, Silverless Master Sword Ganon takes forever—he takes damage from Master Sword spin attacks, but it takes 24 of them to kill him. It's not too bad with the Tempered Sword though, that only takes 12 spins.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Chunderbucket posted:

In multiplayer this guy was a laggy death coin-toss for years
I believe they eventually solved the problem by making the pre-boss room part of the same map, so all the loading happened before you were sitting there in the room with him waiting for your client to catch up while he attacked you.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

TheHoosier posted:

If I haven't mentioned this gently caress at least once everytime this topic comes up then I'm failing you all:

"Looking for Bael?!" :shepicide:

I still have no idea who this zerg rip off was even supposed to be story wise.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Flannelette posted:

I still have no idea who this zerg rip off was even supposed to be story wise.

A demon who is buds with Bhall.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

In Mega Man II, Metal Man is a bad boss because you fight him first and his weapon is too good. It has tons of ammo, is useful against several bosses (for whatever reason), fires in 8 directions, and passes through objects and weak enemies.

On that note, classic Mega Man robot masters in general are a neat idea but the "use the right weapon" gimmick forces you to play in a certain order and makes boss fights too easy if you do

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Eclipse12 posted:

In Mega Man II, Metal Man is a bad boss because you fight him first and his weapon is too good. It has tons of ammo, is useful against several bosses (for whatever reason), fires in 8 directions, and passes through objects and weak enemies.

On that note, classic Mega Man robot masters in general are a neat idea but the "use the right weapon" gimmick forces you to play in a certain order and makes boss fights too easy if you do

At the other end of the spectrum, there's making Cutman in the original game weak against a weapon that can't be used against him during the re-fight. At least he's easy enough without it.

Come to think of it, I thought it was a bit BS how seldom Gutsman's weapon can actually be used as a weapon.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
In terms of all time bad bosses and Mega Man 2, the king is still Boo Beam Trap (or however it's romanized).

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Is that the one that's just turrets on walls? Because yeah, that one really is in the poo poo boss hall of fame.

Also, final Wily being invincible to everything but bubble. If you run out of ammo, you're screwed.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Eclipse12 posted:

Also, final Wily being invincible to everything but bubble. If you run out of ammo, you're screwed.

thats the one that pisses me off the most cuz you have to game over

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Y'all talking about lovely Mega Man bosses and haven't once mentioned Elec Man? The guy who kills in three hits and spawns about 2ft away on the first fight? The guy who lobs huge (and potentially unavoidable) projectiles across the screen in the second fight while his weakness is a pair of weedy boomerang scissors with pitiful range? That's grounds for a kid snapping a loving controller in half right there. Or even the game cartridge.

John Murdoch posted:

In terms of all time bad bosses and Mega Man 2, the king is still Boo Beam Trap (or however it's romanized).

Eclipse12 posted:

Is that the one that's just turrets on walls? Because yeah, that one really is in the poo poo boss hall of fame.

mycophobia posted:

thats the one that pisses me off the most cuz you have to game over
Stuff like this (along with Metal Blade just being too good a weapon) is why I just can't understand how MM2 is so widely considered the best of the NES MM titles. I'd take MM3 or MM4 over it any day. Even if they're also both guilty of "Final Boss is immune to Mega Buster" bullshit, at least in MM3 the Gamma boss has two weaknesses per phase and in MM4 you can just restock the Pharaoh Shot between attempts at destroying Wily Capsule.

Meaty Ore posted:

At the other end of the spectrum, there's making Cutman in the original game weak against a weapon that can't be used against him during the re-fight. At least he's easy enough without it.

Come to think of it, I thought it was a bit BS how seldom Gutsman's weapon can actually be used as a weapon.
Or, given that most players target Cut Man first, even used at all! It further winds up being completely worthless once you get Thunder Beam, so just makes you wonder why it's even in the game to begin with. What would have been awesome is the ability to pick up mooks and throw them away! The first Mega Man game is all sorts of wonky (especially when it comes to any sort of fumbling your way over bottomless pits/spikes without Magnet Beam) and 1/3 of the weapons are just plain poo poo. Hyper Bomb is easily one of the worst "usable" weapons across the entire series. I feel sorry for any Wily Wars player who tried Wily Tower mode and took Guts Arm & Hyper Bomb as two of their weapon choices.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The worst MM2 boss for me is actually the Doc Robot fight against MM2's Air Man in MM3 because due to the sprite size and some other things it's basically impossible to fight without taking serious damage.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Y'all talking about lovely Mega Man bosses and haven't once mentioned Elec Man? The guy who kills in three hits and spawns about 2ft away on the first fight? The guy who lobs huge (and potentially unavoidable) projectiles across the screen in the second fight while his weakness is a pair of weedy boomerang scissors with pitiful range? That's grounds for a kid snapping a loving controller in half right there. Or even the game cartridge.

Yeah, if you fight him fairly. You do know the pause trick with him, right?

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009

...! posted:

.....go on..........

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

...! posted:

No pause trick in Dr. Wily's Revenge where Elec Man really is one of the worst robot masters in the series.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Random Stranger posted:

No pause trick in Dr. Wily's Revenge where Elec Man really is one of the worst robot masters in the series.

Ah, the first Mega Man I ever played/beat..I did the entire thing with the mega buster because I didn't want to run out of ammo ever. Stupid, stupid kid..

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

...! posted:

l33tfuzzbox posted:

.....go on..........
Of course, mash Select as your projectile connects and watch any enemy get obliterated. Still a lovely boss though.

food court bailiff posted:

The worst MM2 boss for me is actually the Doc Robot fight against MM2's Air Man in MM3 because due to the sprite size and some other things it's basically impossible to fight without taking serious damage.
The Wood Man Doc Robot is also some premium-tier nonsense because of the enemy Leaf Shield being bigger. It's then double-lovely in Wily Wars because Mega Man himself is also resized!

Random Stranger posted:

That game is loving hard and I'm not entirely sure if it's for any of the right reasons!

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Elec Man is easy enough to lock in a loop by immediately jumping on the blocks in the room, and smacking him in the face with Cut Man's weapon when he tries to jump up there. His AI defaults to trying to jump up there repeatedly.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Every and single boss in Shinobi for the PS2 starting with the spider. That game was utterly brutally and unrepentantly difficult and the bossfights went from "you can goof up a little with the core sword mechanic and then grind me down" to "live on the blade's edge ninja, or die like a dog!" by about the third one.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Coffee Jones posted:

It’s their mainline flagship series, tons more people than normal will play it, just on then FF name alone...
maybe now is not the time for a battle+character abilities system that’s way outside the norm? Tactics or SaGa or any one off like Vagrant or Cross I’d understand
I dunno, SaGa's battle system was arguably way less of a break with battle system convention than where the FF series went from FF12 onward.

Though, it has some other things that are pretty eye-popping in retrospect, like SaGa Frontier having a character join your party at the start of one of the campaigns and then ejecting them from your party right before the final boss. Hope you weren't using them or anything!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Mei-Ling was a starter character with bad stats. You get so many better characters over time. At least you got Mecs who only needed equipment to get better. Maybe the remake will address that.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Carpator Diei posted:

The most annoying one I've personally encountered is the final boss of Star Fox Adventures, Andross: His very presence in that game make no sense at all and completely derails the plot at the last minute; the fight is a space battle, in a game that up to that point was 95% Zelda-ish action-adventure stuff with a total of 5 very short and unchallenging space battle sequences; and evading one of his attacks – which you have to do because otherwise he regenerates – requires doing a barrel roll, a move that wasn't required at any earlier point and is never explained in-game. It took a very unpleasant amount of attempts until I realized by pure chance that the weird spin the Arwing does when I press L is supposed to be a dodge and not some ineffectual shield.
Maybe not the very worst boss mechanically (when you know what you're doing, he's pretty trivial and even somewhat fun), but in the context of the game as a whole he's just an incredible heap of bad decisions.

Oh yeah, that fight sucks and gets at one of my biggest gaming pet peeves of "final bosses that are built around an entirely new or rarely-used mechanic in that game". Ares in the original God of War with that two-handed sword and that sudden change to a "tug of war" life bar sticks out in my mind as well.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

This prick:

Robot Y from Streets of Rage 3.

Not explicitly difficult to destroy (neutral jumpkicks usually do the job while he does nothing but fly around the room in a circular motion), but of course it's an incredibly tedious setup that takes longer than it should due to the idiotic difficulty buffs in Western versions (in this case, like many enemies, he simply has too much health). There's also a time limit to destroy him within (three minutes) if you want the good ending. Thanks, Sega.

Just an all-round poo poo boss, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green
I have a very "just push through it, dont grind unless you have to absolutely do so" attitude that I've developed mostly because I stream in my spare gaming time and I don't think grinding isn't very fun to watch(Or commentate most of the time). So lately I've been going through all of the classic/handheld zelda because in my youth I hated the original zelda and it threw me off the horse until I played windwaker and eventually went through oot and mm and became a fan for life.

This brings me to zelda II.
And Thunderbird.

The Great Temple was bad enough in that it's a twisting fuckfest that I managed to take every wrong turn in trying to find the path down, but on top of that I spent my first two game overs just figuring out that it was the spell I didnt have enough mp to cast that was needed to even hurt the boss.

Basically you have just enough magic at maximum to cast thunder (and only thunder) once unless you level magic to 6 and up and why would I do that unless I had to because attack is right there and I feel its effect more immediately because zelda 2 is a ton of trial and error. So my 3 potential lives on Thunderbird get snipped to two to suicide for mp because I also dont want to add 5 minutes to the rundown by respawning slimes to drop magic. I personally didn't want to leave to go grind also just because getting to the great temple itself was a trial and a half and it's literally the only place in the game that checkpoints you at the start meaning game overs bring you to the beginning of the temple and not the start of the game.

So Thunderbird itself is also a lot of trial and error. Basically the best way to handle it is to get into a rhythm of running across the boss screen and jump hitting it in my particular case because I can't even cast the spell Jump to reach it while its in the air. It's the best way to make sure the ballls its shooting don't hit you when you jump because its constantly crossing links origin when it moves. Oh yeah, it also hits like a truck and even with 6 attack it still takes like 26 or something hits to take down. So I get 3 mistakes twice and then I have to do a ten minute run back. And THEN when it's near death it speeds up effectively makes the chase strategy useless and dodging hits when it dives extremely hard. I died so, so many times when it was pulling this shtick even after I managed to get the first half down pat.

That said, still enjoyed the hell out of zelda II, but loving Thunderbird came close to retroactively ruining that.

Susat fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 13, 2020