Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My last game was way too ambitious for my first cyoa, so I'm keeping it real simple this time. There's no real direction I have planned for this story, I'm just plopping you into the churning pit of my imagination, and what happens happens.

You wake up in your bed.

It is dark in your room.

Your name is Lobster.

What do you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
We probably need to pee, if we woke up while it's dark for no good reason. So...

Turn on light/Activate Darkvision
Locate toilet/chamberpot/window as appropriate

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Something is wrong.

I don't remember having so many pee pot.

All over the floor.

What does it mean?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elfface posted:

We probably need to pee, if we woke up while it's dark for no good reason. So...

Turn on light/Activate Darkvision
Locate toilet/chamberpot/window as appropriate

Nyaa posted:

Something is wrong.

I don't remember having so many pee pot.

All over the floor.

What does it mean?

Still hazy from sleep, you fumble blindly to your right until you feel the cluster of wires hanging freely from the ceiling. You tug it upwards and feel yourself towards the bottom, where your battery pack is fastened. You switch the battery on, and a couple seconds later the single fluorescent bulb fades on.

As a result of the metabolic processes inside your body, you often need to excrete liquid waste. Now is one of those times. On auto-pilot, you shamble over to your self-designated piss corner, squat, and do your business. Everyone else thinks you're weird for peeing in the same place every day, but hey, you're just OCD like that.

You are in your room. It is made up entirely of colors in the brown spectrum. You have a bed, a bare desk, a decorative wall-mask, and a battery pack hanging from a fluorescent bulb by a loose bundle of cables.

Also there's a door.

What do you do?

Mr. Steak fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 26, 2019

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Put the mask on.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Examine desk

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Junpei posted:

Put the mask on.

You take the mask down from the wall, where it hung from a small wooden peg. The mask, which was probably black at one point, doesn't have any cord with which to actually fasten it to your face, but you hold it up with both hands and peer through the slit-like eye-holes at your desk. It is a wooden desk of exceedingly simple design, lacquered of course in the brown that stains absolutely every surface down here.

You are standing in your room, feeing quite silly at the moment.

What do you do?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
root thru desk drawers

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SniperWoreConverse posted:

root thru desk drawers

You find some dead bugs, but not enough to hold you over.

You are in your room, and you weren't all that hungry anyway.

What do you do?

Phearson
Aug 15, 2006

Have you seen my pants?
Put on pants. Put on ALL of our pants.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
If we lack pants disassemble our desk and make it into pants

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Cast a magic spell to find a way out.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phearson posted:

Put on pants. Put on ALL of our pants.

All of the pants you have would be the pants you are wearing right now. Well, you'd probably call them "shorts" if you had any concept of fashion. You like them a lot, mostly because they are one of the few things you actually own along with the "shirt" thing that covers the rest of your body. The only thing you don't like is how they make you insecure about your hairless legs. You want to look like everyone else, who is adults. You've never seen anyone as small and dumb as you.

If we lack pants disassemble our desk and make it into pants

You never use that desk for anything important anyway. In an attempt to render the desk into something useful, you smash it into workable pieces. Part of what had once been a leg of the desk is pretty sturdy and fun to swing around, so you tuck it into your pants, securing it with the string that amounts to your waistband.

Junpei posted:

Cast a magic spell to find a way out.

You've always had lovely intuition, but even you can find the way out of your own room. The door is right frickin' there. Outside you can hear the muffled sound of the morning hustle and bustle, people milling about to their jobs. Speaking of which, you have to get to yours pretty soon.

You are standing in your room, and today is a normal day just like any other.

What do you do?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Head to our car/bike/local bus stop to get to our work.

Phearson
Aug 15, 2006

Have you seen my pants?

Junpei posted:

We can't be seen! Stab anyone that we encounter with our new stabbypants to ensure they don't rat us out.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Think about how much we hate our parents for naming us Lobster. Like really, really get into it.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Open up a seasoning packet and inhale deeply of the mysterious scents.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Look into our mirror and say what we see lutloud, we are weird like that

Also describe what we did last night

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Inspect feet. Are they fleshy or chitinous?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Cast the magic spell to find the exit anyway. The door might be a lie!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Cast passwall to make a back door for secrecy purposes

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Nemo posted:

Look into our mirror and say what we see lutloud, we are weird like that

Also describe what we did last night

There is nothing reflective in your room.

Last night, you came home from the Food Office at the usual time, ate your evening meal, and went to sleep. Every day has been exactly the same ever since you can remember, which is about 8 days at this point.

Outrail posted:

Inspect feet. Are they fleshy or chitinous?

You look down and wriggle your toes a bit in the brown muck. It makes you feel comfortable to feel close to the earth like this.

(and yes they are fleshy)

Junpei posted:

You exit your room and step out into the residential center, which is just a generous way of saying a big underground cave where a bunch of people live. The cave interior is textured exactly like your room, except it's much bigger and illuminated by a lot more lights. There are also a lot of people, your neighbors, walking around doing... morning stuff, you guess. They're just like you, but bigger.

You can easily get to your job by walking. You work with many others as a trash miner, traveling deep into unclaimed caverns and bringing back valuable nuggets of garbage. They aren't strict about attendance at all, but there isn't exactly anything else to do around here, so you may as well mine for garbage.

By popular demand posted:

Open up a seasoning packet and inhale deeply of the mysterious scents.

You don't know what it means to inhale deeply of scents, but the air does taste slightly different around particularly tasty garbage, which can sometimes be found on the side of the road if you're lucky. You don't have any right now though.

Diogines posted:

Think about how much we hate our parents for naming us Lobster. Like really, really get into it.

You don't know what parents are. But your name actually came to you in a strange dream which is the first thing you can remember. You have a hard time explaining the dream with words, but that image of a giant god-like lobster spirit had been unmistakable.

Anyway, you are in the residential area. A number of other people are also milling about, making squishing sounds as their bare feet smack the wet ground all around you. There are two large exit tunnels, leading to either side of the village, and four smaller tunnels leading to other areas. One of those smaller tunnels leads to the mines.

What do you do?

Phearson
Aug 15, 2006

Have you seen my pants?
Ask a neighbor what the weather outside is like

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Do our job.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Do somebody else's job.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
No we must become a holy cleric. Worship the Great Lobster Father Smis

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phearson posted:

Ask a neighbor what the weather outside is like

No we must become a holy cleric. Worship the Great Lobster Father Smis

You hail the nearest familiar face, which happens to belong to Fernsprout, one of the chief priests. He is the oldest of the priests, and apparently communes with ghosts in his dreams.

You don't really believe in worshipping the ghosts, since you're loyal to Smis, the great Father Lobster whom you've witnessed in your own dreams twice before. But you still find the ghost stories interesting, so you ask Fernsprout in your blubbering mud language about the surface for the like fourth time in your memory, which, again, is about 8 days.

Fernsprout explains for the upteenth time about the dangerously radioactive sun that buffets the earth unrelentingly with hot, skin-searing particles. And he explains about the darkness of nighttime, and about how the ghosts come out of their bizarre buildings and illuminate the night with their countless glowing figures wandering aimlessly about. The scene always gives you chills to imagine.

[You gain the quality "Smis Worshipper" - on rest, 25% chance of Smis dream]

Junpei posted:

Do our job.

Ralith posted:

Do somebody else's job.

Hmm, this needs a vote. You have the skills required for a number of jobs, and the agency to perform whichever you want. You had only chosen to keep mining trash because you find the job fun compared to the others. But maybe today's a day to mix things up a bit...?

A: Trash Mining
B: Something way out of your comfort zone
C: Something more easily performed while sleepy
D: Something that allows you to revel in filth
E: Join Father Fernsprout in priestwork

Mr. Steak fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 7, 2019

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
b we should really crank it up a notch, feel pretty confident about this since we have a mighty club in case we need to fight

Phearson
Aug 15, 2006

Have you seen my pants?
B We should job like we've never jobbed before!

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There are several jobs available today that you feel are way out of your comfort zone.

1: Egg Smasher - the eggs are big and you have to murder the fetus inside.
2: Trumpeter - you can technically play the trumpet but you are horrendously underpracticed.
3: Anything in the Hot Zone counts, because it's so hot there and you hate it.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Trumpeter. Who says being bad at it is our problem?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Ralith posted:

Trumpeter. Who says being bad at it is our problem?

This guy gets it.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
What type of fetus this could be a deal breaker if it's any lobster-adjacent creature

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

What type of fetus this could be a deal breaker if it's any lobster-adjacent creature

Varied, but they are generally mammalian- or avian-looking.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
ponder the meaning of murder and how it relates to mammal eggs

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ponder the meaning of murder and how it relates to mammal eggs

You haven't been around long enough to understand the social taboo against murdering humans, let alone the complicated social issues relating to the disposal of beasts inside smashed eggs, but something innate within you has an aversion to harming anything above a certain size. Of course, this aversion isn't so strong as to prevent you from properly performing egg smashing duties.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Well that just makes sense. Don't want to harm something that could harm you back.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
[currently, it seems Lobster is going to spend the day trumpeting. but there's still time to vote on the other two options, though category B has pretty much won the first round of voting]

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Lobster smash the egg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Wait what's in the hot zone besides heat