Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh this place is starting out real friendly. we just stepped in and it already tried to kill a kid! Good thing our dreams warned us about this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I can't really blame the building for attacking Cate but I'm glad no one got hurt.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
It's a good thing the group got to the building when they did! If the glass cracked from the weight of David and Cody, it probably would have broken from the blowing sand sometime today anyway. At least nobody was killed!

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

:siren: There is goon participation in this entry! :siren:

After avoiding a fatal accident and rescuing Cody, we make our way through the wall's opening and enter the Sidereal Plexus office building. This room seems to be mostly intact, but clearly abandoned. Cody, what do you think of it?

What do you think of this office?
I don't like being here. Can we go already? This place is... wrong. It's evil. Can't you feel it?

Sidereal Plexus? Evil? No way, they make heat absorbing tiles! How can any corporation that makes drink-cooling tools be evil? There is a chart on the wall and two computers we can examine here before going through the door on the right.

(Interaction - Chart) This chart has some lines of different heights and curves. I have no idea what exactly it represents. Electrical voltages? Something with semiconductors?
(Interaction - Broken computer) Time wasn't very merciful to this particular computer.
(Interaction - Computer) This computer doesn't seem to work.

The door out of the room leads to this hallway. There seems to be a way down to the right, and an elevator. And is that a rock? Ooh, shiny! David likes rocks.

A small rock (1 kg). A small, round rock.

(Interaction - Collapsed doorway) It's completely collapsed. I can't do much about it.
(Interaction - Fire alarm) In case of emergency, break the glass. I think I've done enough glass breaking for now.
(Item - Wrench or small rock on fire alarm) I doubt anyone would come to the rescue anyway.

The elevator isn't a way out, unfortunately.

(Interaction - Elevator) The elevator is stuck mid-floor. I don't think getting inside would be a good idea.

The stairs it is, then.

The Waste's Mystery

Don't be scared, Cody.
I'm not! ...What was that? (Runs back to David.) I am scared. I don't want to be here.
Hey, it's okay. I'm here. We'll get what we came for, and then we'll just leave.
Okay...

There are two doors to the left, another stairway down, and the elevator to the right. What's downstairs?

(Interaction - Stairway down) I should find the outpost location before going any further.

To the left door, intrepid explorers!

That is Ed. Ed's dead, baby. References and the mummified body who's worked overtime aside, there are a couple of noteworthy things here, but let's pat down the body first.

(Interaction - Dead body) He has an ID on his neck.

An ID badge (0 kg).

A key (0 kg). A simple, metal key.

(Interaction - Dead body) I've already taken his ID. He doesn't have anything else that would be interesting.
(Interaction - Any PC here) It's not powered. Or it's broken. Or both.
(Interaction - Fax machine) The fax machine is not operational.

Fax document (0 kg).

Of course this company was crooked... But this sleep process described is very, very familiar. Is that how we were able to dream travel and meet Maggie? Have we done this before? And is that a gun silencer on the ground?

(Interaction - Gun silencer) A gun silencer? What is it doing here? Maybe it's the reason there's a dead guy at the desk.
Assassins! Do you think they are still here?

A rifle silencer (0.5 kg). It's a big silencer for rifles.

We can mod the rifle now, but I'd rather have a little help from Cate with this. She's the gun nut, after all. But we'll definitely make our best friend here shoot quietly when the bandits come a-raidin'. Anyway, back to the hallway, and to try that second door.

(Interaction - Doorway) It's locked.
(Item - Metal key on doorway) I've unlocked it.

This must be a way to get power back online, but I have no idea what to do just yet. I'll be back.

(Interaction - Elevator shaft) The elevator shaft is just like our future... dark and hollow. And with a risk of being crushed by a heavy thing falling from above.

No elevator just yet, then. Okay, time to play with wires!

With a bit of trial and error, I manage to get the power back on. The minigame here was simply to connect the wires from the left pins to the right by running them through other pins, altering the power level to match the required values.

Ah, it appears at least one computer managed to survive the ravages of time and sand.

drat. And here I was hoping we could use a search engine to find us some guns. Not even the very useful sticky note on the right could help log in at the homepage. Maybe the e-mail server or local disk contains useful information?

Shame about the extra responsibilities without extra pay, Douglas.

Huh...? Catherine Mayweather... Pilot. Could that be Cate? We really need to have a talk.

Another world is about right. If Maggie's presence and our prophetic dreams are the real deal, we have dream traveled and we've been to other worlds or experienced other lives... Which means Cate has done so too? We'll have to have a talk with her about this.

I've marked it on my map.

08:37 am: I learned about a lodge in the woods up north. It might be worth checking out.

This is exactly what we need. The lodge, if it's still unexplored, will have the guns and traps we'll need to fend off the bandits.

Cate shoots down people in more than one way.

I didn't care to read a boring old report anyway.

Good old progression clue. Juice up pin A with 15V, and pin B with 40V.

You know, if my job said, "Hey, the Moon blew up, come in to work anyway," I'd be pretty upset. Ditto if a world plague came down and infected everyone, but what do I know of the economy?

Jacob Salmann is our deceased buddy to the right. Asked too many questions, got capped for the trouble.

I've marked it on my map. Now I can finally get out of here.

08:37 am: I found the location of the outpost.

Jacob may be dead, but that doesn't mean we need to be. We learned where the outpost is!

It's cold comfort for a journalist to expose the truth before the world burns, but I appreciate the effort. Time to get out of here and go downstairs.

First things first: what's to be done?

(Interaction - Elevator shaft) I think I see the bottom, but it's far too high to jump.
(Interaction - Fire hose) It's a fire hose locked in a glass cabinet.
(Interaction - Darkness) It's too dark to see anything...

The solution to the darkness is the backup battery. Time to go back up and rewire the power.

And there we go.

The red light looks pretty spooky. There's a bit to investigate here.

(Interaction - Pipe) (Struggles to pull it.) It's too heavy.
(Interaction - Vent) (Pulls the vent out.) I can't fit in there.
(Interaction - Doorway) It seems to be locked from the other side.

Well, the door blocked by the pipe will need to be accessed with Barry's help, I think. Talking with Cody gives us the option to ask him to enter the vent, though. Use your size to our mutual advantage, young one!

Hey Cody. Do you think you could crawl through that vent over there?
Huh? Why?
Because this door is locked. Maybe there's a way to open it from inside.
(Walks to the vent.) Okay, just wait here. I'll open it.

There is nothing here, though. Just some office stuff.
Thanks, Cody.

Of course, we enter it straight away. There's a photocopier with a stack of papers, a PC, and a floppy disk.

(Interaction - PC) It's not powered. Or it's broken. Or both.
(Interaction - Photocopier) It's not operational.

Photocopier document (0 kg).

That's the creature we saw in our dream! Is this some sort of guardian of dreams or something? Why did it try to chase us down in our dream, whereas with this witness, it just stood there? Weird.

(Interaction - Floppy disk) A floppy disk labeled "PHASE CTRL LITE". I have no idea what it is... yet, I feel it's really important. I definitely don't want to leave this thing behind...

A floppy disk labeled "PHASE CTRL LITE" (0 kg). No idea why, but I feel like I've seen this thing before. It feels so important. I should keep it no matter what.

I absolutely must not misplace this. I feel that this is crucial to our escape.

The only way down the elevator seems to be using the firehose. Let's break the glass and use it.

If we can't get the power running to the elevator, this is our only real option.

(Interaction - Either collapsed doorway) It's completely collapsed. I can't do much about it.
(Interaction - Lab door) It's locked. I need a key to open this door.

Two hallways, but only Lab 13 is accessible. Well, not quite just yet, of course. We'll have to find the key.

And here's where the "R" fell. If Cody had fallen down, he'd probably be dead by now. Thank goodness we got him up safely.

(Interaction - Reception desk) Nothing useful here.
(Interaction - Sidereal Plexus logo) What exactly were you doing, Sidereal? What was your game?
(Interaction - Main door) There is a dune of sand on the other side of that door. I'd better find another exit.

One more useless hallway, and a door. Where does it lead?

Sweet sunlight once again. Let's get out of this death trap.

Cate told me what happened. If you hadn't warned me to stay... How did you know...? Dreams?
Yes. Dreams. There might still be something worth checking out in that building. I think it's safe to go together now, Barry.
If you say it's important...
But first... Cate.
David. You've got the location?
Yeah. I've found a map. Thanks for your concern.
Why? You're fine. Show me it.
Take a look. The launchpad is here in the mountains. We can go right away.
What about your dream? The bandits, raiders.
What about them? If we get to the launchpad fast, they won't be our problem.
I... don't know, David. You HAD that dream. It might mean we won't escape them just like that. If the ship is still there it might require a lot of work before it takes off. If those thugs follow us there... No, they can't find out about the ship. We have to deal with them first. We have to stay one more night.
You realize you're putting our lives at risk? They have guns.
We CAN'T lead them to that ship.

Hooray, Barry! Thanks for listening to us. As much as I'd like for us all to get out of here safely, though, I agree with Cate. If the bandits even happen to get a glimpse of us going to the outpost, we'll be losing our only way off this rock.

But that's not all we can get out of Cate... Now that we have explored the area, we can ask her more about the place, what to do today, and about her real name. Let's start with your thoughts "about this place."

So, what do you think of this place?
I was expecting something more, to tell you the truth. I heard so many things about this place, but I never made it here myself. Until now of course.
It was once a huge city.
The bigger they are...

I wouldn't want to live here either. What "about today," any advice for your amateur gunslinger?

Any ideas for today?
The best defense is a good offense.
What?!
Don't "what" me. If we want to have any chance, we need to go to their camp and do as much as possible to stop them. A little sabotage won't hurt. Actually... maybe it will. It will hurt them. But that's the point. Just make sure we don't get spotted. We wouldn't stand a chance in an open fight like that.

Not to worry, Cate. David's played plenty of Metal Gear on his MSX2. He can be just as stealthy as Solid Snake! Now that we're done messing about with spy stuff, "Catherine Mayweather," maybe you can be honest about your identity.

Mayweather. Catherine Mayweather.
Huh?
Is that your name?
Why do you ask?
I've seen it in one of the documents. You worked for Sidereal, didn't you?
...Briefly. I didn't even know where this office was before the dream I just had. And I definitely wasn't important enough to earn my place on the lifeboat, it appears.

More options appear. "Why hide it," Cate?

Why hide it? Why conceal that information?
Isn't it obvious, David? Sidereal caused it. All of it.
The Moon...?
Yes. And... more than that. I wasn't directly involved. But you can imagine I don't want to be shot in the face by a stranger for mentioning that my employer has accidentally destroyed the world.

David wouldn't hurt you, Cate. Just judge you silently. "What else are you hiding" from us?

What else are you hiding?
Nothing. Jeez, David.
I'm sorry, but I think you know more than you say. That turned out to be truth in the past... and I think it's still the case.
Alright. You don't have to trust me if you don't want to. Just help me get to that ship.

I don't know, Cate. "The ship is gone" by now, right?

So from the documents I've found it seems people from this office were evacuated to the launchpad. Wouldn't that mean the ship is long gone?
It's not gone.
How do you know?
Dreams, David. I also keep having them.

Your dream was as accurate as mine, but "where do those dreams come from?" Maggie wasn't very forthcoming about that part.

Where do you think those dreams come from? How is it even possible?
I believe those are visions... sent by someone.
I'd think you're crazy if I didn't have the same thoughts myself...
Maybe we're both crazy then.
Well, that's always possible.

Could the visions be sent by our other selves? The visitor who tried to touch us in our dream certainly wasn't very happy with our little mind-hopping.

Cody also has something to say "about today," don't you, youngster?

What is it, Cody?
You said there are bandits. Can't we just talk to them?
They are bad people, Cody. They won't listen.
I chatted with you yesterday even though you could have been evil...
I wish it was that simple.
Maybe with some of them...?
Cody...

As much as I'd like to try Cody's advice, I'm pretty sure it would lead to us getting shot, and something even worse for Cody, like getting eaten or something.

Our big man also has some stuff to say "about today."

Are you worried about tonight?
A little. I mean, we are clearly outnumbered. They probably know how to use weapons.
I'm quite good with those as well!
At least one of us is. It won't be enough to defend our hideout. We need to do our best fortifying this place.

I'm assuming he means our safehouse, but we'll discuss defenses later. For now, we have to head back up to the door with the pipe.

Now that we're indoors, we can ask Barry about the office, as well as to move the pipe. First, Barry, your thoughts "about this place?"

What do you think of this office?
I hate it. I used to hate offices of all kinds. Now I have one more reason to do so.
Yeah... I don't like it either.

Enough chatter. "Can you help me with this pipe," my good man?

Hey, Barry. Could you help me with something?
What is it?
This pipe over there is blocking the way. But it's too heavy for me to push.
Sure. Let's try together.

You're welcome.

Before we go in, Cate also has something to say "about this place."

This place is terrifying. And dangerous.
Oh, come on...
I mean it. Remember what happened on the roof?
Let's not stay here any longer, then. How about that? We have things to do.

That's fair. Let's head into that other room now...

Another office with a collapsed wall, but with some shiny stuff to grab. There's a stack of papers in the fax machine, and another floppy disk...

(Interaction - PC) It's not powered. Or it's broken. Or both.
(Interaction - Fax machine) The fax machine is not operational.

Confidential document (0 kg).

Gee, glad to know our entire world is "expendable" just because the Sidereal Plexus branch here is inferior to whatever other worlds they have been to.

(Interaction - Floppy disk) A floppy disk labeled "MEM BOOST". I have a strange feeling like... déjà-vu? Like... it's really important for some reason. I think I should keep that disk.

A floppy disk labeled "MEM BOOST" (0 kg). Why does this feel so familiar and important at the same time? Why? I'd better carry it with me. Who knows when I might need it?

Between this blue floppy and the red one, we have a pair of extremely important items to never lose possession of. I think that's all we can get from this office for now, so let's head back and explore the area.

Before we go, I combine the silencer with the rifle again, but Cate doesn't even offer to help! Fine, we'll do it ourselves.

09:52 am: I added a silencer to my rifle. This might prove useful.

A silenced rifle (5.5 kg). A silenced rifle. It has 6 bullets.

Not giving away your position in a firefight is very important. Now, onward!

:siren: We have found the location of the lodge and the outpost. The question now is, where do we go from here? I personally want to look around for the bandit camp first and scout them out, but there are plenty of other places to go, too!

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Olive Branch posted:

You know, if my job said, "Hey, the Moon blew up, come in to work anyway," I'd be pretty upset. Ditto if a world plague came down and infected everyone, but what do I know of the economy?

Ha. Ha. :shepicide:

Olive Branch posted:

:siren: We have found the location of the lodge and the outpost. The question now is, where do we go from here? I personally want to look around for the bandit camp first and scout them out, but there are plenty of other places to go, too!

Sounds good to me. We should be meandering towards the lodge, looking around on our way there I guess.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

I doubt the lodge is useful to our survival in any direct way - it's not as if we could setup there. Thus, as likely just a source of items it should be investigated first.
On the other hand, visiting the bandits should probably be left for last, as i doubt we would be able to waltz in willy-nilly repeatedly. Gotta make sure that whatever we want to do with the bandit camp, we do it in one go and making sure we have all the items on hand is part of it.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Lodge Traps inside the camp.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
I'm getting really invested in this again! Always happy to see an update show up.

Look around for the bandit camp.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Finally checked the website.

I vote search for the Bandit Camp.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Lodge first so we can loot the place and maybe get some good weapons for Cate and Barry.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

You loot poo poo, then go on murdersprees. With your loot, you see. Lodge first

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Guys, I found out that if you go to http://www.siderealplexus.com/ you can log in with the username and password-why does this seem so familiar?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Let's hit up the lodge!

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
I'm feeling the lodge, myself.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I'm thinking lodge. We can hopefully find stuff there to mess with the bandit camp when we go looking for it later.

Also, I still giggle every time the truck is mentioned because you went with my suggested name of Communism.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

:siren: There is goon participation in this entry! :siren:

The votes for this update favored visiting the lodge for a spot of ransacking and arming ourselves. We'll be looking for the bandits later.

It will be a bit of a drive from the office complex to the lodge, but that's nothing for Communism. It's built and designed for the long haul.

Covering Ground

This lodge looks pretty sturdy and survived the ravages of the apocalypse, unlike Barry's home. Let's chat with the gang about this place.

So, what do you think of this place?
It's not that great. Could be easily compromised. Door is gone. Even if we secure the windows, it would still be easy to get inside.
Do you always have to give me those tactical explanations?
What else do you want from me? I never say how I feel. Not even to my therapist.

What's wrong, Cody?
I don't like this place. The trees here look scary. I think I saw a monster over there.
Monsters don't exist. You don't have to worry about that.
I still don't like it. I always wanted to have a cat, but we couldn't have animals in the orphanage. We had a hamster once... but the other boys didn't take care of it. People here didn't seem to care for animals either.
There's always a reason behind everything...

What do you think of this place?
I don't have any opinion about it. I know people from the city used to come to this area for hunting season. Everyone has some kind of hobby. That wasn't mine. I hit a deer once while driving. Maggie shouted at me for the rest of the day. I think she was more worried about the deer, though.

I've heard stories of deer surviving getting hit dead-on while wrecking the car that hit them. They're pretty sturdy creatures. Let's check out the back before we go inside, just in case.

Looks like the locusts, or whatever surviving wildlife is around the place, ate a trapped boar here. Its carcass is still buzzing with flies, as whatever wasn't eaten is rotting. There are two bear traps we can make use of, so I'll be taking those. I'm sure they'd work about as well on a human as they would on a giant spider. Huh, that's an odd comparison to make.

A bear trap (5 kg). It looks dangerous.

(Interaction - Animal carcass) It's crawling with maggots. I think I'm gonna throw up.
Aww. Should I hold your hand?
God drat it, Cate. This is sickening.
I agree with David. The smell is revolting.
Yuck!!! It smells like, I don't know, worse than anything.
Alright, it stinks like hell. I'll give you that.

I wonder if this isn't a bit of a trap choice that will make us stink and give away our position when we go spying on the bandits, but until now the game hasn't done anything like that. I'll take the risk and move the carcass so we can get a third bear trap for our home defenses.

Now I smell no better than that dead boar.

That line doesn't reassure me, but nobody else is making any comments about my new fragrance. Let's take the third bear trap, dump the lot in Communism's trunk, and then head inside the lodge proper.

This place is pretty well-maintained and organized. I bet there's lots of useful stuff the hobbyist hunters stashed away here. Time to poke around a bit for those guns.

(Interaction - Painting) The painting depicts a wolf or a large dog on a snowy hill. There is a human settlement in the distance. Night is dark and the sky seems hazy. I think I've seen this picture somewhere before...
(Interaction - Fireplace) The fireplace is empty, with a thick layer of ash on its walls and floor. It smells like burnt wood.
(Interaction - Couch) No time to sit down now.
(Interaction - Scratches) There are some visible scratches on the floor as if something was pushed back and forth repeatedly.
(Interaction - Deer trophy) One of the antlers is skewed. I can't reach it.
(Item - Crowbar on deer trophy) This seems long enough to be able to push the antler. There was a loud click somewhere in the room...

Ah hah! There's a metal safe on the floor here, and it's unlocked thanks to the antler trick. What's inside?

(Interaction - Floor safe) There was a revolver in the safe. There is still something there. There was a box of rifle ammo in the safe. There is one more box inside. There was a box of revolver ammo in the safe. The safe is empty.

A revolver (2 kg). A small handgun with a 6-cartridge cylinder. It's not loaded.
A box of rifle rounds (1 kg). A box full of rifle ammunition.
A box of revolver rounds (1 kg). A box full of revolver ammunition.

A revolver (2 kg). A small handgun with a 6-cartridge cylinder. It's fully loaded with 6 bullets.

Cate's our handgun expert, so maybe she should carry this gun as well as her pistol.

You might need this.
Thanks. I already have a gun. Remember?
Right.

You may have a gun, Cate, but do you have enough bullets for it? We're facing god knows how many bandits, so having a spare gun and ammo in case you run out or your pistol jams would be useful. Well, what about Cody? Hey Cody, you wanna hold a loaded gun and shoot at bad guys?

Tell me if I'm wrong, but are you about to give Cody a revolver?
That was the plan.
Whaaat?
I'm not sure if this is responsible behavior.
I want a gun!
He has to be able to defend himself, Cate.
Yeah... But can he actually even use it?
I know where the trigger is. I've seen enough action movies!
That's not really enough to be able to defend yourself, Cody. But I'll teach you. Do you still have that can I gave you at the restaurant?
Umm... yes. But it's empty. I ate it.
That's okay. All we need is an empty can. We will use it for target practice. Put it over there and come back here.

Um, let's not do this just yet. I was kind of kidding about the whole "give Cody a gun" thing, David. But what if we were to offer Cody the silenced rifle?

(Item - Silenced rifle on Cody) Uh, no. Defending is one thing, but firing that gun would tear off his thin arms. Maybe if I find some other, smaller weapon...

We're going to hold off on actually giving Cody a gun for now. Maybe Barry is a better option for the revolver? Can we give him the rifle?

(Item - Silenced rifle on Barry) I think I need it more than he does. Maybe if I find some other weapon...

I'm sure that Barry would take the revolver and its ammo if necessary. While I believe he is obviously a better option than Cody for, you know, actually aiming and being able to control his shooting without dislocating his shoulders, I'll hold on to the revolver and leave it to you fine folks reading this to decide who gets it.

The pantry at the back of the lodge has more stuff to grab. There's a fourth bear trap, a bottle of whiskey... and a rifle scope, score!

(Interaction - Broken window) I can see the back of the lodge from here.
(Interaction - Electric socket) The socket won't solve any of my problems without anything to plug in.

A rifle scope (0.5 kg). It could be installed on a rifle, making it more accurate.

Yes, please! We'll be modding this baby and make it the finest weapon in the wasteland by using our Weaponsmithing skill, just like Angela Deth and the Desert Rangers. We'll need a name for our new firearm!

A silenced sniper rifle (6 kg). A silenced sniper rifle. It has 6 bullets.

11:30 am: I added a scope and a silencer to my rifle, making it more accurate and silent.

A bottle of whiskey (2.5 kg). A big bottle of strong whiskey.

I like guns, and I like drinking. I like drinking even more when we make a gun tacticool. Cate, Cody, Barry, y'all want a sip of ol' Jack Daniel's?

Maybe some other time. I need to keep my mind focused. But to tell the truth, I wouldn't mind a glass of wine.

Wow. Really? Can I?
David, you shouldn't...
Aww...

No, thank you. I stopped drinking some time ago. Maggie said it would be better for my health.

Fine, I'm sure I'll be able to find some other use for this...

That's all the lodge had to offer, so I'm going to head back to our place and drop off our loot.

We filled up our storage container with every sort of knick-knack and item we could grab. I took out the metal bars and nails and laid them on the ground on the assumption that if we are to make our stand at our home, we'll need to reinforce the windows. Of course, we could always just cover up the windows with rolls of plastic wrap. That can stop a grown man from breaking in, or preventing a thrown projectile from going through the window, right?

I left our cricket pal in the back of Communism to take out the wad of cash as we go on the hunt for bandits and explore other locations. Maybe it will come in handy if we have to bribe a sentry or guard, not that it's worth anything now. I'll investigate the roadblock to the east first, just in case we can find anything of use before heading west again.

A waste of gas and time. Nothing here. Time to head back west towards the gas station, see if we can't refuel.

Alone

Oh. We just stumbled on two of the bandits discussing the plan to kill us all. What if we just ran around the corner and put an end to this right now?

(Interaction - Gas station parking lot) I'd rather not go there blindly. We could take a peek safely from the inside of the shop.

David really isn't an idiot like I wanted him to be. Good for him! Let's do as he says and sneak around inside the shop.

This is not as stealthy as I was expecting, but the bandits outside seem to be too busy arguing to notice us.

We need their supplies so we're gonna take 'em. And their crib is totally dope. Amazing defensive spot for us to use.
My point exactly. It's gonna be a good defensive spot for us. It IS a good defensive spot for them.
Don't crack me up. We've been watching them for some time now. It's just two dudes, a chick, and a freakin' brat. One triflin' happy family plus a blazed uncle. And there's freakin' twenty of us, including your army boy-scouts.
...yeah, I guess you're right.
drat right I am. I want your men to be ready at dusk. I've welcomed you in the gang but it's time to start paying off, Sarge.
...yeah.
Alrighty, we're heading back to the construction site to tell the boys the plan.
Hmmm... I think I know what construction site he is talking about... I've seen one back on the helicopter. I'll mark it on your map. Maybe we'll pay them a visit later.
You comin'?
Yeah, I'll just finish getting that fuel and take another look at the gas station shop.
Okay. Catch ya later.

11:54 am: We overheard the thugs' leader talking to one of his men. Their hideout is located in a nearby construction site.

We heard the plan. These freaks want to kill us come nighttime, and there are twenty bandits to face, which certainly gives them an advantage against our group of four, even if we have the high ground and a good defensive position. This guy Sarge, who is very familiar for some reason, is busy with his own gas can and has his back to us. Hmm... What if we just took care of one bandit here and now with our new silenced sniper rifle?

...That is an option we have, if we don't want to risk showing our face and talking to him first. But maybe we could trust in our diplomatic skills to convince him to pull back his men or desert the gang so we face fewer attackers?

:siren: There are a few votes to consider today. First, do we shoot Sarge, and if not, do we talk to him? I'd rather we not shoot him, and talk to him instead. Second, who do we give the revolver to, Cody or Barry? I think Barry is a more prudent and much safer choice: he probably won't accidentally shoot himself or us, he will likely be a better shooter, and we won't need to spend a whole hour teaching him how to properly fire a gun. Third, what name do we give our newest best friend, the silenced sniper rifle? I have no suggestions of my own, and leave the naming entirely to you!

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 15, 2021

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Talk to him, he seems familiar and it feels like a good idea.

Barry gets the gun, sorry Cody.

Say hello to our little friend Dirty Harry

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
Talk to Sarge.

Barry gets the gun.

Our sniper rifle is called Shhhhh!

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Talk, simply killing him will just reduce their numbers by one. He may be amenable to leaving with his men.

Gun to Barry. Giving the gun to Cody makes me think of a really dumb Apollo Justice case.

Naming a gun is weird and even if the moon is falling I'm not going to do it.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Talk
Barry
Name the gun after the greatest videogame sniper of all time, The End

Guper
Jan 21, 2019

David posted:

Monsters don't exist. You don't have to worry about that.

Yep David, certainly no giant locusts, giant spiders, or interdimensional beings to worry about.

Let's do the sane options: Talk and give Barry the gun named Steven

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Talk, Barry, and I have no opinion on the gun's name. Shame that Sarge got in with a bad crowd this time, at least he's aware of that. Wait, why am I saying this time?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Talk, Barry, name the gun Capitalism

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Talk
Barry
The Spirit Engine 2 protagonist is convinced not to arm a child. Let us show the same wisdom.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
I want to see this run get a little hosed up. Shoot Sarge, give the gun to Cody, and I like the name Capitalism.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Talk, Barry, No idea what to name the gun.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Leraika posted:

Talk, Barry, name the gun Capitalism
drat right. Capitalism kills!

Also we can have Communism carry around Capitalism and just make a clusterfuck of ridiculously named objects create hilarious, nonsensical metaphors.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Guper posted:

Yep David, certainly no giant locusts, giant spiders, or interdimensional beings to worry about.

Look at this dude. Afraid of giant spiders. Doesn't seem real to me.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Maple Leaf posted:

I want to see this run get a little hosed up. Shoot Sarge, give the gun to Cody, and I like the name Capitalism.

I agree with this.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Almost everyone knew giving kids a loaded gun was a bad idea, so Barry will be getting the revolver. We also will not shoot Sarge but we will talk to him to see what he has to say. Our silenced sniper rifle has also been renamed to Capitalism. It is deadly, cumbersome, and should not exist, yet everyone listens to whoever holds its power.

Alone

Sarge still seems to be busy with the gas tank. This is a good a time as any to give Barry the revolver, just in case Sarge starts blasting.

Take this.
A gun.
You know how to use it?
Yeah, it's just... I'd rather NOT have to use it.
I know. Me neither. But sometimes life doesn't leave you any other option.
Thanks, David. I'll use it if everything else fails.

11:54 am: I gave a revolver to Barry so he can defend himself, if needed.

I also try giving Barry the box of revolver ammunition, but David refuses to do so. I have no idea why; maybe this ammo won't be necessary for the bandit raid? Well, whatever. Time to go see Sarge.

I might need your help in case there's trouble.
I hope you know what you're doing.

And it'd better be a drat good reason.

Well, Sarge certainly is jumpy. We have three possible reasons to give him. From left to right, "I could have killed you," "my friend has an aim on you," and "I want to negotiate." I want to tell him the truth, that we could have killed him with the raw unfettered power of Capitalism, but chose not to. I want to show each answer, so let's start with the comment that Cate has a bead on Sarge, then negotiate, then the killing comment.

I'm not alone. My friend aims at you as we speak from the building over there...
Hello, sir. Please lower your gun.
Heh. Nicely played. Yet, I think you'd have killed me already if you didn't want something first.

Investigation

I just want to talk.
You want to talk. Sure. I can do that. Since I've lowered my gun, can you tell your friend to stand down, as well?
I'll stand down when I feel like it.
Alright, so...

I've come to bargain. I want to negotiate peace... before a war breaks out between our groups.
A war? Listen son, I don't know what world you live in, but it's not going to be a war.

Investigation

You have nothing to give us that we can't take by force... or can you prove me wrong? I'm listening.

I saw you talking with the rest of your gang. Then you turned your back to me, and I could have killed you easily.
But you didn't. What exact advantage does that currently give you?
What I mean is...

Investigation

Hahahah. Civilized talk. Look around you, son. How much of a civilization do you see 'round yerself, huh?
Exactly. I tell you what, your attitude amuses me. We can talk.

No matter what answer we give, Sarge is wiling to talk. David is one silver-tongued smooth talker. We can ask this man if he is a sergeant and who the motorbike guy is. Let's open dialogue by asking this military man, "are you a Sergeant?"

People that were with you called you Sarge. Are you really a Sergeant?
Hah. I used to be. Sergeant First Class to be specific. But that doesn't matter anymore. It's in the past. My nickname is all I have from that life.

A new option appears to ask Sarge about his squad, so let's press him about that.

That guy on a bike mentioned something about "your men." Is it your squad?
Jesus, you've been listening to all that? Yeah it's my squad alright. Or what's left of it. Four men. They still take orders from me, even if we're not soldiers anymore.

Sounds like a loyal group of companions, much like our own. But the leather thug isn't, huh? "Who is the motorbike guy," Sarge?

Who is the guy you talked to?
They call him Razor. He is the leader of the gang. And technically my boss. Also a guy that will most likely kill you. I would avoid him at all cost if I were you.

The obvious question arises. "Why do you work for Razor?"

So... why did you join him?
Are you kidding me? As if we had a choice. We were alone... me and what was left of my squad. There is no more army. No HQ, no government. We had nowhere to go. No supplies, no food, no shelter. Razor took us in... in exchange for our muscles. Even if I'm not proud of it.

We don't seem to have much else to discuss here. This is "goodbye" for now, Sarge.

So... that's all for now, I think.
For now? Aren't we shooting each other next?
I was hoping that could be avoided.
Just go away and I'll pretend I haven't seen you, okay?

I'm assuming there must be a way we can avoid fighting Sarge and his four men. If we could convince them to remember their oaths, or somehow betray Razor, we could cut the raiding party from twenty men to fifteen... or perhaps even convince them to join us in defending the hideout? But that could also backfire, as we'd be bringing in a Trojan horse. Maybe we can convince him by giving him our only weapon, or showing him some other goodies...?

(Item - Silenced sniper rifle on Sarge) He's a military man. I'd be dead before I even pull the trigger. If I really want to shoot him, I'd better go into the gas station so he doesn't see me...
(Item - Bottle of whiskey on Sarge) I don't drink... not on duty, at least. I know some guys at the camp who would love to get smashed, though. Anyway, just take this away.
(Item - ID card on Sarge) Sure, I could pretend to be a member of a corporation that has destroyed the world, but I don't really want to.

Well, it seems safe to walk here now, so let's meet up with the others and bring them over. Perhaps they have something to say or do? And what they think "about Sarge," anyway?

What? Why are you looking at me like that?
I'm just wondering why you let that guy live. It would be easier to deal with them one by one.
I'm not some cold blooded murderer...
You realize that we are living in times when it's us or them, right? It's not some fairy tale with a happy ending. Stop acting like a child, David. Grow up.

Hmm...
Are you worried about something?
No. I'm fine. Well... yeah. Maybe a little.
If it's about that soldier, you don't have to be worried. He looked like a good guy. I'm pretty sure I can recognize a villain. I read a lot of comic books.
Good to have a specialist in the field.

Do you think we made a mistake?
Why? Of course not. We'd be no better than those thugs if we started killing everyone we see. There must be another way. We are not animals.
Yeah, you're right. I just hope we don't regret that decision.
Stick to what you believe, David. No matter what. Maggie always said that. Your action describes who you are. And you are a good guy.

Well, two out of three of our companions agree sparing Sarge was a good idea... and Sarge seems to be struggling with that fuel valve quite a bit, as he's trying to open it only with his hands. Why not offer him help with our handy-dandy wrench?

(Item - Wrench on Sarge) (Sarge stands up.) Need some help?
No.
Come on, you'll never open this valve with your bare hands.
Why do you even help me?
Because I feel it's the right thing to do.
... (The screen fades out with the sound of fuel pouring into a container, then it fades back in.) Thanks.

Exploration

Cool, let's grab that fuel and-

(Interaction - Blue gas canister) Don't touch that. I'll need that fuel.

Okay, fine, it's yours. Let's chat instead, shall we?

You again.

We have unlocked more conversation topics with Sarge now that we've helped him with his task. We can remind him of our help, chat about the moon, and reveal that we have a spaceship. Let's begin by mentioning how good our "help" was to him.

Got enough fuel?
Yeah. Thanks for your help, I guess.
No problem. I guess this is how it should be. We don't have to fight, you know. There is no need for violence. We can all live in peace.
Can we? I'm not sure.

Another choice of options. We can mention that we a kid to protect, ask him to just let us go, or remind him that he was a soldier. Let's use Cody as our shield! "We have to protect the kid," Sarge!

There is a kid with me. Cody. He's ten, or something. He doesn't have to go through this.
Oh but he does. He very much HAS to go through this. We ALL go through this. Nobody ever asks us. I had a son, you know? Do you think anyone asked me for an opinion when a panicking crowd trampled my poor boy into a mashed sack of broken bones?
I... I am so sorry...
Yeah, I was sorry, too. I was supposed to protect those people when they tried to evacuate. And I couldn't even protect my boy. So, no. The fact you have a kid on your happy team doesn't give you a golden ticket of mercy. Not from me, at least.

We can try again by choosing "help," so we won't give up here.

I still think there's gotta be another way. We don't have to kill each other.
I doubt that.

Okay, how about we just drop to our knees and beg for mercy? "Just let us go" and we'll be out of your hair, Sarge.

Just let us go. We will leave the house, if you want it so much. Nobody has to die.
You and I both know this is not going to happen. You can leave, but Razor will follow you and hunt you down. Because you're more than just an obstacle for him; you are his prey.

That didn't work either. How about reminding him of his military background? "You were a soldier," Sarge. Surely in this post-apocalyptic hellhole, duty still counts for something?

You were a soldier. A man of honor. I can't believe someone like you would sign up for a slaughter of innocent people.
The times have changed, son. I have changed. Nothing is as it used to be. Honor won't feed you. It won't give you a shelter. The times have changed and so did we, to survive.

Progress! We can tell him we are no threat to him, or get tough and tell him to act like a soldier. Let's try the meek route first. "We are no threat to you," Sarge.

We pose no threat. You don't have to kill us to survive.
As long as you live, you are a threat to Razor. He won't let you just walk out of this. He will follow you and hunt you down. Because you're more than just an obstacle for him; you are his prey.
I'm not talking about Razor. I'm talking about you.
I... I do what I can to survive.

Okay, acting weak didn't work. Time to salute the troops and tell him to "act like a soldier!"

This is not how soldiers act. This is not who you are.
I told you. I'm no longer a soldier. This is who I am now.

It looks like there's nothing we can do to convince him for now, but the "help" dialogue isn't greyed out yet, so there's got to be something we can do or discover to convince Sarge to back off. For now, let's discuss something else. Like "the Moon," which is looking mighty big these days.

The Moon is falling on our heads.
Yeah? Wow, I didn't notice. Maybe I was too busy trying to look after myself and my squad, because the drat MOON EXPLODED AND IS FALLING ON US.
What I meant was... It is going to crash into Earth. Like, really soon.
Good.
Good?
It's all gonna end. It has to. This whole nightmare. Let me tell you a story, okay?
Sure...
Our squad was helping with evacuation. We were on a chopper, hovering above a football stadium where people had gathered. We were picking up the wounded to get them to safety. Suddenly, BAM! Another earthquake started and everything went to hell. Literally. The ground split open, bursting out red flames. Do you know The Bible?
I'm not an expert.
I wasn't a religious man either. But after seeing all this... After seeing a whole stadium of people being swallowed by Hell itself in one chomp? It was then that I realized. There is no hope. Nothing is going to end well. This is judgment day. The final chapter of mankind.

Well, "we have a spaceship" you could escape into, Sarge.

We have... we might have a clue to where to find a spaceship.
Yeah? What'd you need that for?
To... to escape.
To escape? You're out of your mind. Where would you escape?
Well, there's a space station. Supposedly.
Son, I understand you want to survive at all cost. But this is being delusional. The entire world is dead. This isn't something you just escape from. You can't. There is nowhere to go. There is no magical kingdom, no wonderful utopia waiting for survivors. No space station will save you. Don't let anyone fool you like that.

That got grim and depressing faster than talking with Cate about... well, anything. Actually, now that we've discussed the Moon's apocalyptic fall and Sarge's past, maybe we can convince him to do one last act of goodness before we all die?

Ah. After going through the "you were a soldier" reason again, we got a new option. Sarge, it's "time to rethink your life."

The times are not just changing. The times are coming to an end. These are the final days, can't you see? It will all be over soon.
Maybe. Yet we still bother. We're not all putting bullets to our heads. We still fight to survive.
Yes. We're still trying to survive, against all odds. Still, we're most likely all going to die. Our time is running out. And here we are. Standing in the wasteland, with our hands close to our guns. Preparing to fight like a bunch of idiots.
What do you suggest we do, then?

Another option. We can ask Sarge to "let us go," or to tell him, "you should go." I think the latter option is the correct one, but why not appeal to mercy one more time? "Let us go," Sarge!

Let us go. The house is yours. With all the supplies.
If it was that simple, I would let you go. Believe me, I would. But it's NOT that simple. You can leave, but Razor will follow you and hunt you down. Because you're more than just an obstacle for him; you are his prey.

Yeah, we heard that one before, Razor's a sadistic murderer. Okay, "you should go" instead, buddy.

Sarge. Take your men and leave.
What?! Are you kidding?

Once again, a new option. We can ask him to "be a decent man," or point out that, Sarge, "you don't like working for Razor." Why not appeal to his better nature?

I'm serious. Spend those last days decently. In peace. Without spilling innocent blood for nothing.
But... if we're all going to die, what's the difference? Nothing should matter.

We're almost there. We can tell him that "people will remember you as a good man," or that "it's a difference for your squad." The clear answer here is to mention his squad, but why not try to promote history when there won't be any in a couple of days?

People will remember you as a good man.
What people? We're all going to die. There will be nobody to remember us. No witnesses. I think we should take all the advantage we can get while we are still here.

Yeah, that was a clear dud. On to the right answer!

It's a difference for your squad... and for yourself. For your conscience. As we live we often make mistakes. We lose our paths. Then find them again. Then lose them again. But in the end we should at least be able to say that we tried. That we lived a good life. As a good person. Or we can spend our last moments remembering the faces of people we hurt.
You're right. There is no point in denying it. I'll talk to my squad. We'll change our ways while we still can.

Alternatively, we can be blunt and tell him Razor sucks.

You don't respect Razor. You don't like him. You only work for him because your squad is counting on you. But this is not the right way. And deep down, you know I'm right.
Razor won't save you from the end. The question is, what kind of man are you going to be when the end comes? What do you want to see in the eyes of your squad?
You're right. There is no point in denying it. I'll talk to my squad. We'll change our ways while we still can.

Either path leads to us convincing Sarge to back out of the raid. Thank you, Sarge! "Goodbye" again, and we wish you well.

I guess this is goodbye then. I'll take my squad and leave right before dusk. Make no mistake... Razor will still try to get you. So you'll have to deal with the rest of his men.
How many people will he have?
Without us he is down to fifteen. Still, that's a hell of a lot more than you have. Good luck, son. You'll need it.
Hey, Sarge...
Hmmm?
Thanks. Good luck out there in the wasteland.

And with the roar of the motorcycle racing away, we are left only with our party. What do they have to say about Sarge now?

Maybe there is a happy ending after all.
Maybe there is. Who knows?

So, the Sarge...
I knew he wasn't a villain!
You were right, Cody. He wasn't a villain.
Just like last time. He was a good guy.
What do you mean "last time?"
The last time we met him!
Cody, we've never met him... Wait, I'm confused.
Uh, me too. Thinking about it makes me dizzy...!

That went better than I expected.
He seemed reasonable. He didn't want to do us any harm. Even if we have to deal with the rest... it's still a few saved lives.
For now...
What happens next doesn't depend on us. We did all we could.

Cody's weird comment aside, everyone agrees we did a good job in talking to Sarge. We reduced the enemy's force by a quarter thanks to our words, but Sarge did warn us Razor and the rest of his gang won't be so upstanding.

As we load up the car and prepare to drive over to the construction site, our companions have a bit of a chat with each other.

Let me know if you need my help with anything, okay?
We know that, Barry.
Just wanted to make it clear. Because I'm really grateful for what you did for me. If it wasn't for you...
Don't you even start this kind of talk with me...
I was referring mostly to David anyway.

Huh. I just had deja vu.
What! Why didn't you share it with me! I'm so hungry!
Err... deja vu, Cody. What do you think it is?
Sounds like a dessert. A French one.
No... It's a feeling you get when you feel something that has already happened.
I feel deja vu all the time then.
Really?
Yeah. I'm hungry all the time. Just like yesterday.
Cody... uh... never mind.
And the day before. Oh boy, what deja vu!

Next time, we'll do a bit of reconnaissance and sabotage at the raider camp!

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 19, 2021

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Looks like Sarge gave us a hint on what to do with the whiskey. Are we gonna deal with all the raiders non-violently?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Looks like Sarge gave us a hint on what to do with the whiskey. Are we gonna deal with all the raiders non-violently?

Nah, at the very least Razor wont survive this. I am pretty sure about that from a pure meta gaming perspective. If we were able to do the pacifist route here, we could survive this without using the bear traps or the heap of guns or any other lethal options we may come across. And that is a bit heavy on the redundancies.

Maybe we could just slip by with our lives without personally killing any one of them, but it's pretty clear that they will have to die. Unlike the locusts, I don't think they will just give up and leave when they find the doors and windows barricaded.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
:allears: Cody is really growing on me.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

The thugs' base is the construction site. There is no soundtrack here, and the only ambient sound is the wind blowing and metal creaking. From where we're standing we can go to straight to the site itself, or hang right to enter a construction equipment parking lot. I do see some sentries marching around the perimeter wall, so going forward would be a bad idea. First, let's talk to our group about the place.

Any thoughts, Cate?
We've gotta be really careful. This place seems to be swarming with those guys.

Are you okay, Cody?
I'm a bit scared of those bad people...

What do you think, Barry?
I think we should leave before they see us.

Sorry, Barry, but Cate had the right idea this time around. We'll need to use all of our stealth and subterfuge to weaken the raiders before they attack us. That being said, let's Leeroy Jenkins through the front door!

The entrance is guarded...
Who would have thought?
Well, going there would be suicide.

David continues to be a smart protagonist. Let's go into the parking lot instead and check out the perimeter.

I could sneak through there. Maybe they won't notice me... Guys, you better stay here.
Are you sure this is a good idea?
No, but it might work. Maybe there is a back door somewhere there.
Alright. Even if you sneak past guards... Even if you find a way in... What exactly do you intend to do? You're not exactly a "special task forces" type.
I'm just gonna look around. Maybe I'll find something useful.
Don't get yourself shot.
See? She does care about you after all.
Shut up.
Please be careful, okay?
I promise I'll be back soon.

We already have our first obstacle. There's a dangerous-looking thug keeping watch, so we can't head right without alerting him. There's a rotting animal corpse, maybe a cat, which is full of maggots and being pecked at by a crow. Let's see what we can do here.

(Interaction - Fence shelf) This piece of fence is flat like a plate, but that won't help me get to the other side.

What's wrong with just walking forward into this guard's line of sight?

Oh, right, that would happen. Then let's rethink our approach. Maybe we can use that corpse somehow?

With an indignant caw, the crow flies off and leaves the carrion to us. We pick up a maggot to use, but it doesn't seem like it can do much. Let's fling it at the guard!

(Interaction - Maggot on thug) That maggot could be used to distract the guard, but not directly. Maggots don't randomly fall from the sky. It would just make him more alert, if anything...

Okay, so let's try using the maggot on the fence shelf.

Our crow buddy gives us the distraction we need, cawing loudly and startling the guard. We didn't take the chance to run, but we have plenty of maggots to bait the big black bird over. Let's do it again and book it to the right entrance I spied!

Perfect. Sam Fisher would be proud, David.

We're in the storage area of the raiding camp, it seems. There are a couple of ammo boxes and food supplies here.

(Attempting to move towards the thugs.) I don't think getting near those guys is a good idea.

Alright, let's investigate that ammo.

It's a bit upsetting to think all these bullets will be flying in my general direction a few hours from now.

(Interaction - Food supplies) I've taken some food.

A bag of food (0.7 kg). I took it from the thugs' camp at the construction site. It's just some wheat, but drat, it's better than nothing.

(Interaction - Food supplies) I've already taken some food. I don't want them to notice.
(Item - Bottle of rat poison on bag of food) It's my food. Why would I poison it?

A plan is forming in my head. We could poison the food supplies with our rat poison and make many of the ammo rounds useless by pouring some kitchen oil all over them. It does say to keep the bullets away from fire, too...

(Item - Kitchen oil on ammo boxes) The boxes contain a lot of different kinds of bullets. Both are far too heavy or clunky to move. (Kneels down and pours oil.) I've poured a lot of oil into the box. At least some of the bullets should fail when fired.
(Item - Bottle of whiskey on food supplies) (Kneels down and places the bottle of whiskey next to the food boxes.) You've gotta down that food with something, right? I hope some of those thugs have weak heads.

Oh, now we're developing a conscience? I guess I'll leave this up to the thread... Should we poison the thugs? That's all we can do here, except maybe somehow light all the bullets on fire with our flamethrower, but that would cause a massive explosion. Let's try it later, for the hell of it!

The thug on guard duty is very politely checking his gun and looking away from his assigned area. We can just run past him... or eliminate him with Capitalism, our silenced sniper rifle. Let's just run past him for now and rejoin our friends. We'll no-alarm pacifist this visit, but if we end up returning, I'll leave it up to you all if this guy gets a bullet in the brain, courtesy of the invisible hand of the free market, before his buddies attack us.

We're back safe and sound. The bag of food we snuck away will help poor Cody with his hunger pangs, but first let's pass it around to Cate and Barry and see if anyone else is hungry.

You'd better give that to Cody. He's so skinny.
I'm not! Wait, what's this? Can I have it...?
Ha ha, sure, little buddy. David, give him some!

It's your lucky day, kid. Enjoy a bit of dry wheat. It's simple fare, but calories are calories, and a growing boy like you needs them.

Are you hungry, Cody?
YES! Thank you!

Inside

After feeding Cody, I drove back to the house for an assessment of our defenses. The windows are busted, but we could barricade them, lock the doors, and deploy some bear traps, too. I believe our best option is to barricade the windows with metal bars, reinforcing them with nails and tape, and set up bear traps outside the house at the entry points. Other than that, we could return to the bandit camp and poison their rations, as well as silently take out at least one sentry. What else could be done today?

:siren: So, again, there are three votes for this brief but important entry. First, do we poison the raiders' food supply? I know David isn't a murderer, but this is life or death and we can't reason with the bandits. Besides, we'll be gunning them down anyway, so what difference does their exit from this world matter? I say we poison the lot of them and shoot the survivors when they come for us. Second, do we kill the thug standing guard at the construction site? While removing an enemy now means one fewer bandit to worry about later, if the others find his body before the assault they will rightly get suspicious and go on high alert regarding our other sabotage, so I say we leave the guard alive and kill him later. Third, how should we defend ourselves? Obviously we'll equip the rifle, but I also feel we should follow the plan I outlined above. Is there anything else you can think of to help bolster our defenses?

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Poison, no kill, barricade and beartraps.

Also if you weren't joking about this being an option light the ammo on fire and then run.

The goal is to keep incapacitate as many of them as possible so when you finally have to kill you don't have to do very much.

And yes: fate worse than death, maiming, they'll die anyways, etc, etc. Whatever. I generally take the option to not kill in videogames if given a choice.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Just poison them and hole up. Let nature be their judge.
Could you have poisoned the whiskey instead? Would have been a bit less suspicious.
Oh yeah, barricade and bear traps, naturally.

Edit: Don't poison.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 19, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Poison, No kill, Barricade and Bear Traps.

Can we do anything with the sprayers in the garage to spray our "pests" right at the house like we did with the locusts and spiders?

Light the ammo if possible. Gotta make it look like incompetence rather than sabotage.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Poison, No Kill, Traps & Barricade

And yeah, light up that ammo if we can. Fireworks!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Who would possibly fall for the poison, after there was some clear signs of sabotage?
I much prefer the idea that they did not notice our presence at all and go about their day. Eating poison with a nice swig of Whiskey and loading faulty ammunition.
Also, since getting a source of fire is pretty easy, from a gameplay perspective it seems deceptively simple to just blow it all up. Especially if you still have to sneak past that guy on the way out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

So I know that poison sounds like an appealing option, but didn't we just appeal to humanity towards Sarge? If he learns we poisoned the food he's probably going to reconsider leaving us alone.

I'm going with No Poison, No Kill, Traps, & Barricade.

Tampering with the bullets seems good too if you can figure out how.