Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Inside

The votes for what to take to the Moon were all pretty close, but I'll load up what I can in the backpack before we blast off. That means that we're taking the floppy disk, Eve the Bird, the instant noodles, the paper clip, the duct tape, the kitchen knife, the voltometer, the copper wires, and the keys. Sadly, ditching Cate for extra weight is not an option, as much as some of you were demanding we just take her out. The rifle is way too heavy to take along (weighing a staggering 5 kg) as is the crowbar (1.5 kg), so both are going to be left behind, and the glue gun was used up. With our backpack cinched and carrying the maximum possible, it's time to blast off into space!

Wasteland

The silo is open, and ready for us to take off.

(Interaction - Left silo) A silo. This one turned out to be empty.
(Interaction - Right silo) A silo. It has our ship inside.

Alone

Houston, we are ready for takeoff... But it turns out we're taking more than we can handle. It seems Cate wants us under the weight limit of a kilo, so I'm going to leave behind the voltometer in favor of the keys. Sentimentality over practicality, with apologies to bbcisdabomb. Now, let's interact with the controls again, this time under the weight limit.

Are we ready to launch?
Ready when you are, David.

Let's arm ourselves with the kitchen knife. There's nothing else we can really take as a weapon that's light enough... Time to go.

Long Nights

All systems green? Well... some systems were green. You didn't have time to check every last nut or seal, like people did before launching rockets in the old days.

Five... Four... Three... Two...

One...! Zero!

The seat next to him was empty. At least you've kept the kid safe like the big old man wanted.

Thank you for all your help, Barry. Rest in piece with Maggie. We'll take care of Cody.

"Would you look at that?" smirked Sarge, slowly shaking his head. "That kid actually did it. Good luck with whatever you find there," he added, before he turned away. The whole squad decided to open their last bottle of whiskey and drink it as the world around them started falling apart.

Semper fi, Sarge. Country roads take you home. :patriot:

The composition was perfect. Maximum efficiency meant a lot of thrust and a smooth ascent.

With its help Cate was guided with a set of numbers, angles and coordinates, which is always better than just guessing.

It precisely calibrated all the engines, making them really well-coordinated.

With your repairs, it proved to add almost no air resistance. Cate managed to compensate for the slight aerodynamic changes with her piloting skills.

It caused the main rocket to burn fuel quicker, but it also made the reaction much more powerful.

Another Sunrise

We survived perfectly, as in the last two nights! Now it's up to Cate to guide us into the Moon base safely.

The ship approaches the Moon, avoiding loose debris.

We land safely like a plane, but is that a hole on the runway?

Oh god!

Thankfully, despite the sudden loss of the wheels and scraping to a stop on the runway, it seems the ship is still in one piece...

The landing was good, even if we wrecked our ride. Everyone is safe... for now. Welcome to the Moon, goons.

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Mar 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I knew we should have packed space suits. No one's gonna be sprinting across that runway without one, that's for drat sure

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

mercenarynuker posted:

I knew we should have packed space suits. No one's gonna be sprinting across that runway without one, that's for drat sure

There are spacesuits in the shuttle, we found them an update or 2 ago.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Looks like if you don't nail this one perfectly, you don't make it to the moon.

Which, y'know, makes sense for space flight.

Good thing we have instant ramen!

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Shei-kun posted:

Looks like if you don't nail this one perfectly, you don't make it to the moon.

well, much like any other day, this one has a difference between "you lived" and "you did it perfectly".
In this case, we did all 5 preparations and got the perfect ending.
Olive, do make sure to show off what happens if you forget any 1 thing later on.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Regallion posted:

well, much like any other day, this one has a difference between "you lived" and "you did it perfectly".
In this case, we did all 5 preparations and got the perfect ending.
Olive, do make sure to show off what happens if you forget any 1 thing later on.
Not to worry, I'll have a bonus update showing us screwing up (and thus dying in the night) and non-perfect days on conclusion!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Olive Branch posted:

The seat next to him was empty. At least you've kept the kid safe like the big old man wanted.

:unsmith:

I think what I'm mostly looking forward to in the conclusion are the differences with Barry in tow and if there's a way to save them both.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Bregor posted:

:unsmith:

I think what I'm mostly looking forward to in the conclusion are the differences with Barry in tow and if there's a way to save them both.

Same.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no soundtrack on the Moon, only a warning klaxon. The ship periodically shakes as the Moon rumbles and breaks apart under our feet. Cate and Cody both seem to be okay, but we need space suits, too.

(Interaction - Hatch or storage compartment) I should check up with everyone before I start doing anything else.

All right, let's talk to both of them to make sure they're actually okay.

Cate, are you alright?
Uhh... that wasn't one of my best landings.
I've never seen you do any better.
Could be worse though, couldn't it? In my defense, it was my first time landing on the Moon.

Cody, you okay?
Uh... I don't know.
Can you stand?
I think... What's that sound? Are we going to die?
We're losing air, David. Now is the time to use the space suits.

With Cody and Cate up, we can actually ask them what they think of the place, which I think is kind of funny given the situation.

Wow. We made it. We actually made it.
I never doubted we would. But... I guess I owe it to you... Come on, let's move. It's not safe in here.

How are you holding up?
Uh, I feel dizzy, and I don't like spaceships anymore. Can we go outside yet?
You're probably right. We should hurry up.

Why not try opening the hatch without a spacesuit? What's the worse that could happen?

(Interaction - Hatch) It'd be a good idea to wear a space suit before opening this door.

Earlier in the thread, and throughout it, Bregor pointed out we were lacking in King's Quest-like deaths. Now, I can tell that's because the game is trying to keep the player alive and locking out actions that would be fatal outside the night. In an older adventure game, doing something as stupid as opening a hatch without accounting for air supply would be an instant game over. How game design and the times have changed. Right, then. On to the storage compartment to get those suits.

There they are. Everyone, into the suits!

Looking dapper. I'm surprised they had a child-sized suit ready to go... maybe Sidereal Plexus employed some short people? Cody periodically adjusts his helmet, which keeps slipping down.

(Interaction - Storage compartment) I already have a space suit.

Let's get out of this shuttle.

Wow. This is quite a sight, even if we're going to die if we don't hurry. Those hab shelters must be the Moon base Cate wanted us to go to. Before we do, let's talk one more time with the gang.

I still can't believe we're here...
You'd better start believing. Being on the Moon is the least of the unbelievable things here.
What do you mean by that...?
Let's get to the Moon base I'll show you.

We're on the Moon, Cody!
Look at me! I'm in space!
Yes you are!
Yay! This suit is too big for me.
Maybe a bit. I think you're doing great, though.
But what now?
Let's keep going. Just stay close to me!
Okay!

(Interaction - Crashed shuttle) There's no point going back there...

On to the Moon base...

We face an airlock and its opening mechanism.

(Interaction - Airlock) I have to find a way to open this door.

One more puzzle. We need to rotate these layered rings until the dark patterns on each ring segment make an unbroken line.

The moment I finish this relatively simple puzzle, the door opens.

(Interaction - Airlock manual override mechanism) The airlock is already open.

Great, because I'm almost out of oxygen...

Let's look around.

Our inventory is accessible again, and for bringing Eve the Bird into space, I get an achievement! The base rumbles and the lights flicker in and out with the Moon's shudders. We may not have the clock to worry about, but we still need to find a way out of this second rock. Let's talk to our friends, starting with Cate.

So, what do you think of this place?
It's... bigger than I imagined.
Really? It doesn't look that huge...
Look around, David. Most of this is impossible with current technology. Hell, I doubt it's even possible with whatever technology would be available 50 years from now.
So... what does that mean, exactly?
It means Sidereal Plexus likes to borrow technology from other places.

What do you think of this place?
I don't know. This place is cool, but I'm also scared. Is there a name for this feeling?
Hmm. You're... awestruck?
And a bit dizzy.

We have two options: a passage to the left, and one to the right. Left to right seems good to me!

Cate?
Sleeper pods.
Why are people here? You said they all left. You said they went to a different dimension or something.
They did. This is what they left behind.
Cate, you said they escaped!
They did, David. Check out their neural activity monitors. They are flat. Because their bodies are here, sleeping. But their minds... left this place. They traveled through the Realm of Dreams and already woke up in safety, months ago. Pods just sustain their empty bodies here. Not that it's required, but if for any reason anyone wanted to get back, they still can. At least for now.
Wait... I've got some questions.

Oh, you bet I've got questions, which David may just ask. We can ask about the sleeper pods, what happens if their body dies, what the Realm of Dreams is, and why the sleeper pods have to be on the Moon. Again, left to right is my order of questioning. What are these "sleeper pods" you speak of?

So... it's some sort of hibernation?
Yes, so the body doesn't die while the consciousness is elsewhere.

That... was short. Okay, but "what happens if the body dies," Cate?

What happens if the body dies?
In any normal circumstances, your mind would die, too. But Sidereal has discovered something. I don't know what it is exactly, but they can completely separate the mind from the body. So when the Moon hits Earth and everything here blows up, it won't matter to them.

I think my bigger question here is, whose bodies are they inhabiting in the other dimension? Are they taking over a coma patient's body, like those conspiracy magazines suggested the testing was being done on? Does their mind just happen to land on a host body shared by the same person, and you have two consciousnesses sharing the brain, or are they melded together? Maybe these questions will be answered later. For now, what exactly is the "Realm of Dreams?"

Realm of Dreams?
A poetic name, but quite graphic. Sidereal has discovered that the human mind is capable of accessing this... place. A vast network, connecting every mind. As it later turned out, it reached far beyond every mind in the world. It can connect minds across universes.

So it's some sort of Jungian collective consciousness, or psionic network that our brains can attune to. Thing is, what else connects to it? We got hints that there are other intelligences out there, watching these mind travelers... So "why do sleeper pods have to be on the Moon?" Actually, we probably already know the answer to this one from the FAQ in the outpost.

Why do the sleeper pods have to be on the Moon? Why even bother flying here if all they do is put you in a pod?
Their pods are extremely susceptible to any interference. Especially radio waves. Humanity used to produce a giant mess of electromagnetic waves of various frequencies. Radio broadcasts, TV, communications. I can go on and on. Sidereal found it next to impossible to come up with a location desolate enough for their sleeper pods to work as intended. Faraday cage shielding was partially effective, but it was apparently causing some side effects. Early experiments led to some awful failures. They finally came up with the idea that the only thing that would shield the sleeper pods well enough would be...
The Moon.

We get a new option to as about "other interferences," which is just as well... after all, do we have aliens to worry about, too?

What about Moon-Earth communication? What about radio waves from space? Don't they interrupt the sleeper pods?
Sidereal's own communication devices work on frequencies outside the harmful spectrum. Space radiation. drat it, David. I don't know! They must have found a way around it. I'm not a physicist.

Thanks for the explanations, Cate. Time to end this conversation, so "goodbye."

So, that's our way out. We get into those pods and we dream our way out of here. Wake up somewhere safe.
I'm not sure how I feel about that idea. But then again... what do we have to lose?

But whose body do we wake up in? Our own? That would be wicked strange, for our mind to materialize our body like some sort of freaky cloning experiment. There are four empty pods we can use (probably for Barry, if he had survived somehow...), a black access card lying on the ground, and a diagnostics screen on the computer displays on the left.

(Interaction - Any empty sleeper pod) This pod is empty... but closed.

An access card (0 kg).

There isn't even a picture of the owner on this access card. Odd.

Look at the small amount of system memory on use here. 90 megabytes are sustaining this many pods? Now that's efficiency. Note also the fact there are no floppies in the drives... and we happen to be carrying one. Before I try using it here, though, I want to explore the other side of this facility. Maybe Cate knows something?

She does. We can tell her "the controls are locked."

The controls are locked.
We've gotta unlock them, fast. I think it can be done in the control room.
If you say so.

(Item - Floppy disk on console controls) The console seems to be locked.

That's all we can do here. Let's head to the right passage.

Uh... the Earth is looming closer with every passing moment outside the windows, and debris is starting to fly around outside. I'm scared this is a hidden timer of sorts, so let's not dawdle. This room has a card reader and a base control computer. The access card we got may be used in the reader, but what about the computer?

(Interaction - Card reader) There's a slot for an access card.

No go on the base control computer, so maybe we need to use the access card first.

There we go.

Do it. We can't sleep our way out of this one otherwise.

(Interaction - Base control computer) I've done all I had to do here. Time to move.

Time to move indeed. Let's shake our butts back to that sleeper pod console and run the diagnostics again.

No, no, no. Check that again. Maybe it was just a glitch.
It still says "phase controller corrupted."
It has already happened. It keeps happening.
Cate? You're not making any sense... Cate?
Yeah?

Four more topics of conversation come up, all related to the diagnostics and Cate's reaction. Working from left to right. First off, "what's the 'phase controller'" you mentioned?

What's the "phase controller?"
It's a system designed to transmit human consciousness to a selected target.
Target? A human in another world?
Yes. Usually an otherwise braindead clone they've prepared especially for this purpose... or a patient in a coma, in the worlds like ours, where cloning has not been developed yet. This is how they used to navigate between worlds. Go to sleep here, target a sleeping human vessel in another world and wake up there.
I'm not sure if this is more terrifying or more unbelievable.
If that controller is disabled, we can't select a target body or world.

So they would either target a clone of the host that is braindead, or a coma patient, as I suspected... Clones I can understand, but with coma patients? Talk about a violation of individuality, of consent, of your very freaking being! So "what's the 'emergency merge mode'" all about?

So what's the "emergency merge mode?"
When the primary phase controller is disabled, a backup system kicks in. It targets a random world and a random sleeping person.
Without their consent?
Yes. However, for some reason, when this happens you almost always end up in your own body. But in a different world.

A few more options pop up, but we'll get to those in time. Let's keep going left to right. Next up, "where will we go?"

Where will we go?
Well, without the phase controller, two things can happen. We can end up in limbo, in the dream world, without bodies to return to. Or we can wake up in our own bodies in a different world. A different version of our world.
Like... one where all this never happened? A world where there was no lunar explosion in 1996?
Hopefully... Yes, hopefully.

That doesn't inspire much confidence. After all, you said "it has already happened." "What do you mean 'it has already happened?'"

What do you mean "it has already happened?"
I'm... not sure. The dreams we both had. Warning you about incoming threats. Showing me where the Sidereal office building was. Those might have been our own memories. From our past lives. That would mean I've been through this. We all have.

Time to ponder those new conversation options. First, "are we going to remember any of this?"

The computer says something about memory loss.
Yeah. When your mind ends up in your own body in a different world, this is what happens. You merge. Your current memories... become distant. Like a dream that you've forgotten.
It doesn't sound like we're going to make it in one piece after all...
It's better than dying completely, I guess.

Time for the big question. The one that, if we have been doing this before, must mean something. Are we causing or experiencing "a paradox" of sorts, Cate?

But if my past me warned me about the incoming events, who warned him? Another me? Who warned that other me? When did it all begin?
As far as I know, the number of worlds might be infinite. It's better not to think about it.

Maybe Cate's right. You might as well ask existential-level questions in that case. Time to say "goodbye."

We have no other choice, David. We've got to use those pods, whether they're fully operational or not.
Can't we fix the damaged systems?
Even if we knew how, it would probably take days. We definitely don't have that much time. Let's do this. Quick. This whole place is falling apart.

Three sleeper pods open and await us to enter. We now come to what I feel is a choice: do we enter the pods without the disk, or with it? I figure entering without the disk is a "bad end" of sorts, so I'll do the best thing I can for this Let's Play: to go into the pod without inserting the floppy and see what happens, and then load this save to insert the floppy we've been carrying around.

(Interaction - Any empty sleeper pod) I think I should ask others if they want to go first.

On to the floppy-less ending! We can tell Cate that it's "time to sleep."

Time to sleep, right? Or should I go first?
It's okay. Remember to turn off the lights. And promise you won't do anything stupid.
(Cate walks to a pod.) Have I ever done anything stupid?
Hah, you're funny.

Survival

Umm... Never change, okay?
Okay...
See you soon.
Goodnight, Cate...
Alright David, so... Here we are. At the end of the road. Or is it the beginning? I wouldn't have made it here if it wasn't for you.
Are you getting emotional now?
Hah. I think I've spent too much time with you.
Where do you hope to wake up?
In a bed. In a world where they have a Moon and lattes.
I hope that's what happens.
Me too. Bye, David. Until we meet again.
Just don't point your gun at me when we do, okay?
Can't promise that.

(Interaction - Cate's sleeper pod) You are where you wanted, Cate. Let's hope you were right about all of this.
(Interaction - Any empty sleeper pod) I think I should ask Cody to go first.

And now, we can tell Cody it's time for bed. "Time to sleep, Cody."

Cody... It's time.
I don't want to sleep.
I know, but we all have to.
I won't be able to sleep now. I'm too scared.
This machine will help you. Come on. Don't be scared.
What will happen? Where will we go?
(Cody walks to a pod.) I... don't know. But it's going to be alright.

I don't want to be alone again.
You won't be. Wherever you wake up... I will find you.
Promise?
Promise.

(Interaction - Cody's sleeper pod) Sleep well, little prince.

This is the conversation order we get when we put Cate to sleep first. But now, let's go back and see what happens if we put Cody in first...

Goodnight, Cate. (Cody repeats the same dialogue with David as before.)

(Interaction - Any empty sleeper pod) I think I should ask Cate if she wants to go first.

Nothing else changes between me asking Cate to sleep before Cody and now. The only change is that she doesn't say goodnight to Cody and ask him to stay the same.

Initiate the "bad end," please!

Well god drat it, what now?

Oh, great. Now we need to head back to the main console...

Long Nights

The vocal part of "Long Nights" begins to play as the Earth approaches even closer! We need to get to that base control computer now!

We have no option but to reroute power!

(Interaction - Base control computer) I've done all I had to do here. Time to move.

Cracks begin to appear on the glass... We're entering orbit!

David flings himself into the hallway as the blast doors close and electric power surges begin to spark all along the corridor...

(Interaction - Right passage) The blast door has sealed that part of the station.

No time to spare, let's activate the pod and get going!

The pod closes on David's sleeping body...

It all felt so real... I feel like something is missing. Like I didn't do something important. But what? A blurry memory that disappeared too fast. I... don't remember. Well, I guess it was just a dream.

Mourning

Main Menu

And that's the bad end, dropping us right into the main menu after the credits roll. But we know what that "something important" we didn't do was. Time to go back in time and insert that essential floppy disk in there!

And we're back before we put everyone to bed.

(Item - Floppy disk on console controls) I've inserted the "PHASE CTRL LITE" disk into Drive B. The computer reads it...

I hope this is going to make things better...

Before we tell Cate to go to sleep, we can tell her we "inserted a 'Phase Controller Lite' disk" in the computer. What does she think about it?

I've inserted a special disk into the console.
What disk?
A disk I found in the Sidereal Plexus office. The computer says it will increase the memory transfer, or something like that. Do you think it's gonna help?
Yeah, I guess so. Even a single helper program like this could make a huge difference... If our memories are transferred intact... Or at least in a greater, more consistent rate... This could be huge, David. This might actually save us.

Good end, here we come? I put our party to bed, as before, with no changes in dialogue. The same sequence with the power going off and needing to reboot it takes place...

And now, time for the real end.

It all felt so real... I feel there was... something more in that dream. Something... sad... and important. Why do I feel like this already happened? Yet something is different. I'm gonna find out what.

The credits roll as they did in the bad ending, but...

The main menu has changed. The Moon is now upon the Earth. There is no more "New Game," but "The Awakening" as an option. Old memories, new body. Old memories... new body...

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 22, 2021

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
No.

(Right? It says "Don't Escape" right in the title!)

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Well, the moon is still hosed but this means we get to keep some of our memories so surely we should be able to make more progress!
Also hell of a thing to spring on us, Cate! Love ya!

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

If David keeps his memories of Barry's death he can probably save both of them this time!

Also, I assume for the "real" ending we need to get the second floppy disk as well, but who knows where that is?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

We can save Barry!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

No.

(Right? It says "Don't Escape" right in the title!)

Oh...you're right!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

:aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa: :aaaaa:

Hypocrisy posted:

We can save Barry!

Yes

Time to go for the actual Good End!

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
For some value of good. Remember...

Don't Escape.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Escape will set you free.

AWAKEN

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

Yes

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Abso-loving-lutely

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Continue game? Y/N

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Wake up? But we haven't yet. This feels... weird. I don't like this dream...

We fade into a strange, half-lit living room. The wind whistles through the shattered window.

David, the lone survivor we control, walks into the frame from the darkness on the right.

The game helpfully gives us our controls: left-click to interact, right-click to examine. The items we find will have their descriptions written up from this examination.

We try the sturdy-looking door, but it's locked, as David points out. So how about that window? It's dark outside...

Oh god! With a shatter of glass, a swarm of locusts bursts through the window and bite David into a lifeless corpse.

What a nightmare... It all felt so real. I feel there was... something more in that dream. Something... sad... and important. Why do I feel like this already happened? Yet something is different. I'm gonna find out what.

But it was just a dream. David is in fact alive and well, and camping out in the desert. It's a bright morning, the sun is shining, and the moon is cracked in half. Just another day in the post-apocalypse... But how odd. Why did David say this already happened? I can't shake a feeling that... Nevermind. Let's check out our campsite.

(Interaction - Tent) I think this tent served me well long enough. It's too damaged to keep using it. I'll just leave it here.
(Interaction - Campfire) That campfire kept me warm through the night. There's nothing left of it now.
(Attempting to move) I'm not going anywhere without my trusty backpack.

Let's take that backpack, which acts as our inventory.

It appears we can carry up to twenty items, but only 30 kilograms (that's about 66 pounds for the American audience). The heavier our load, though, the more time certain actions will take to carry out, like climbing out of a ditch. I have this sensation that David should be able to carry more, but I don't know why. So how about that broken moon, eh?

(Interaction - Moon) It's shattered, just like all the dreams humankind ever had...

Moving east towards the wasteland causes a strange dark cloud to grow in the horizon...

(Interaction - Dark cloud) I don't like the look of this cloud. It seems to be moving this way. I think my nightmare might have been more than just a dream. I still have a couple of hours, but I have to find a shelter... fast.

David has a journal! As the game helpfully points out, we can check our current progress and David's movements throughout the day here.

I have to find a place to hide.

David just started his journal. A couple of things of interest: the year is 1996, and David thinks the remains of the moon are getting bigger every day. Could this mean the moon is on a collision course with Earth? If so, we may just be screwed from the get-go... Right?

But David has to get moving. Staying put means no fresh food or water, and no shelter for the night. So let's head east into the wasteland.

We don't get far before we run into some ruins in the distance, and closer, a great wall spanning the desert.

(Interaction - Ruins) Another ruin slowly swallowed by the desert.

Let's approach that wall. It seems there's an outhouse or shed and a hole in the wall we can go through. Let's check it out.

I don't have time to walk around this wall. There's gotta be a faster way to get to the other side.

[While your time is limited, keep in mind it only advances with certain actions. You will be warned each time before that happens. When you find a hiding place and prepare it for the night, use the clock icon to finish the current day.]

Don't Escape: 4 Days to Survive has a clock mechanic. As the game points out, some actions we can take use up time, and how much time we spend depends on what we're doing. For the moment, I'll be taking decisions on my own about using up time, but later on, I'll give the thread leave to make decisions for me. Haven't we been doing that for some time, though...? Well, anyway. How about that hole, David? Can you fit through?

(Interaction - Hole) If only that hole was a bit larger I could squeeze through to the other side of that wall...

Let's check out that wooden fence.

You bet we're taking that wooden pole out!

A solid wooden pole (1 kg). Quite sturdy looking round pole.

How about the shed?

Hello there, that's a sledgehammer head.

A sledgehammer head (15 kg). A heavy hammer head. Useless without a handle.

By clicking on one item and then using it on another... We can combine those two items!

A sledgehammer (16 kg). A big, heavy hammer.

The only way through is by widening the hole! Get to work, David.

David swings the makeshift hammer three times, widening the hole enough for him to go through.

We are through the wall, but as we continue to walk east...

Well, that sucks. The sledgehammer could have come in handy. But that's another point this game is making: we can't carry everything we want. Sometimes we'll have to leave things behind. Thankfully they'll stay where we left them. In this case, though, the sledgehammer will be left behind in the sands.

And as we keep heading east, the game tells us we have to march on. And so... We do. Again? We march on again...? This isn't the first time we've done this, is it?

Main Menu

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 25, 2020

Bregor
May 31, 2013

>PANIC:ovr:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
>Gaze at the second moon.

Putting two screenshots directly behind each other looks weird sometimes.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
Glad to be on the ground floor of this amazing game!

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

Maple Leaf posted:

Glad to be on the ground floor of this amazing game!
I'm excited to see where it leads. Incidentally, if anyone knows how to make GIFs, please let me know. I have the feeling we'll have a lot of animated cutscenes as the game continues.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Thanks for providing links to the music.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

Kinda interested to see where this is going.

I like the setting so far.

...wait wha-

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Never he-ard of this, se-ems interes-ting-

Da-vid, you are the worst point and click protag-onist, you don't leave things be-hind just because you've fin-ished with them and will ne-ver need them again, ge-ez.

Black Robe fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 8, 2020

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
You know, I haven't played any point and click games in a while. Nice to see the genre still get some love again.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

So we're in an alternate dimension. Neat. But wait...that means we can't save original Barry. At best we can save a Barry.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Well this is an interesting little adventure game. Locusts are a terrifying way to go though.. at least it's not spiders?

...Wait a minute.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Ever get that feeling of deja vu?

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Huh.

Just to be sure, did you select yes?

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Huh, we just started, and already it looks kinda interesting. Don't think I've ever heard of it, but I've got a bit of a soft spot for point-and-click adventure games, so I'm interested in seeing how this turns out.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
A twist! But I cant recall why id think that?

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
It's nice to see this style of game show up in current times. Looking forward to seeing how all this plays out, and how many deaths we-

Wait a sec. Did I post this already?

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

:siren: There is goon participation in this entry! :siren:

Main Menu

After hiking through the wasteland, David finds a farmhouse that could serve as a shelter. What about that sign?

A gas station 1.5 miles away. We should find something of use there, even if other survivors have gone through it.

David refuses to explore away from the house for now, though. So, up we go!

Yes, this will do nicely.

The house has a path leading to the front door, and one to the rear. Is it open?

(Interaction - Door) It's locked.
(Interaction - Window) I have to break that glass if I want to get inside.

The house is inaccessible. David isn't confident enough to using his elbow to smash the glass, and breaking the door down would make this place less of a shelter. Why not explore the rear path?

The back of the house has a rear door and the remains of a greenhouse, held together with rotten planks and rusty nails. The path continues further right.

(Interaction - Door) It's locked.
(Interaction - Greenhouse) I could recycle some of the nails that hold this greenhouse together, but I need a tool for that.

The back door is also locked, and we have a secondary objective: get some nails. I have this strong sensation that they'll be important... somehow. Also, there's something on the greenhouse.

A water sprayer (0.5 kg). It could be used to spray plants with water, if I didn't have better things to do. And if I had any plants.

This is absolutely craftable as a weapon of some sort, whether against the locusts or some other threat.

The path leads to a bright-red barn and tractor. There's also an irrigation pipeline running out of the barn and into the fields beyond.

(Interaction - Tractor) Months spent out in the open took its toll on this tractor. It's completely ruined. There isn't even anything to salvage.
(Interaction - Water irrigation system) These pipes seem to cover a lot of area, surrounding the house with the irrigation system.

The barn is still standing and its machinery looks functional. There's a pickup truck in here and a pipe, too. I bet it can shatter the window!

A short pipe (1 kg). A short, metal pipe.

(Trying to interact with anything) I should find a way to get into that house before I start fiddling with things in here.

David is still restricting my exploration abilities. I can't mess with anything here, with the exception of the car's trunk.

We can store items in the car's trunk. I bet that if we fix it up we'll be able to drive it around with our stuff in it. It's big and red, like Clifford the Big Red Dog... Now why did I think that? There is also a haystack covering the pipes. Maybe there's a needle in there.

Kicking the haystack a few times reveals the pipe running under it, but with the big holes in it, we can't say it's in working order. Anyway, time to use the pipe against the window.

Investigation

David smashes the glass of the window with a big swing, then brushes away the remnants of the glass clinging to the frame. He is nothing if not fastidious with safety.

Inside

Staying here might be a good idea, but I only have a few hours to convert this ruin into a fortress before my nightmare catches up with me. I should look around and explore. That road sign might be a good start.

We enter the house through the window, and it's absolutely the house we dreamed of. Now we just have to watch out for the locusts that turned David into a human buffet. At least it's not, say, giant spiders... David says we should go explore, but the next order of business is exploring this house and the barn. Our journal got updated, too.

7:53 am: I found an abandoned house that looks like a good place to stay... I should go out, explore down the road and look for something to fortify this place with...

(Interaction - Photo) This photo of an old lady was taken years ago. The colors have faded a bit, but her warm smile is still clearly visible.
(Interaction - Kindling basket) The kindling box is empty.
(Interaction - Fireplace) The fireplace is empty. Only some ashes from previous uses still scattered all around in it. I also think the chimney is clogged. I don't feel any air draft. That's actually good news... at least for now.

[You can also just drop them on the ground - they will not disappear.]

This storage chest lets us store items in it, like an item box in Resident Evil games. Since we only have a carrying capacity of 30 kg, being able to store items we don't need in here will help us travel light. There's something already inside, so let's grab it.

A hammer with a broken handle (1.8 kg). It's useless until I fix it somehow. World seems to be full of broken hammers.

Looks like this is everything in the living room. I bet there's a kitchen in the back.

I don't know how I knew that.

(Interaction - Oven, closed) I've opened the oven. I've also switched it on, but nothing happened. There's no power.
(Interaction - Oven, open) I've closed the oven and switched it off.
(Interaction - Fridge) (David opens the fridge.) The fridge is empty. After such a long time without electricity, I'm relieved to know that.
(Interaction - Sticky note 1) Some phone numbers are listed on this piece of paper.
(Interaction - Sticky note 2) (The sticky note says "BUY MILK!") I think they never bought that milk.

Hanging on the rack, and glinting in the sunlight, is a set of house keys! Now we can unlock the doors, but we shouldn't forget to lock them again afterwards, just in case. That's it for the kitchen, so I'll check upstairs.

House keys (0.1 kg). A set of house keys, for both front and back doors.

The upstairs of the house looks like it served as a bedroom and office space. The window here is broken, which we should fix later to avoid the flesh-eating locusts. There's also a ladder leading up to a ceiling hatch to what I'm certain is an attic.

(Interaction - Window) A nice view around the wasteland, with the Moon hanging above like an executioner's axe.

It's locked, and I can't find any means of opening it.
(Item - House keys on ceiling hatch) There is no lock in that hatch. I think it might jammed rather than locked. Nothing I can do about it for now.

So the attic is unaccessible. A pity. I guess the only thing that could shake it open is... a helicopter crashing into the house? No, that's just a silly thought. Maybe we can use some sort of tool on it later, since David can't reach the handle or shove the door open. What about the desk with the broken computer and stack of papers next to it?

(Interaction - Papers) There was a paper clip holding several sheets of paper together. The documents themselves don't hold any useful information. Just some invoices for farming equipment.

A paperclip (0 kg). It looks really useful. I'm sure it would be helpful if I was writing a letter.
A stack of documents (0.5 kg). Some financial documents, invoices and bills, mostly for farming equipment.

(Interaction - Computer) The screen is all cracked and the case seems partially burnt. This PC won't work.

drat! Now how is David going to post in forums like a goon if he can't lounge in front of a screen all day? Ah well. There is a bathroom to the left.

The bathroom looks functional, but something tells me we won't ever use it. The window here is also broken. Yet another thing to fix in our quest to avoid death by a thousand bites.

(Interaction - Mirror 1) You talking to me?
(Interaction - Mirror 2) Mirror, mirror, here I stand. Who is the fairest in the land? Probably not me.
(Interaction - Mirror 3) That's me. I should probably wash myself. If only I had the time...
(Interaction - Mirror 4) I can see each and every day spent on the wasteland reflected in this face.
(Interaction - Mirror 5) This mirror has probably seen better looking faces.
(Interaction - Bathtub) There's no time to take a bath, unfortunately.

Between referencing Taxi Driver's Travis Bickle and not taking literally five minutes to wash himself, I think it's official, guys. David is a goon. Let's drag our filthy meatbag body back to the barn.

Investigation

Ahh... Smell that morning hay. Plenty to look at in here.

Interacting with the generator gives us this. We can pull on the starting cord but David says it's out of fuel. Leaving it on "off" and trying pull the cord has David say we need an output first.

(Interaction - Water pump and irrigation control system) It seems to be dead. I think it's powered by that big generator next to it.
(Interaction - Pestice inlet) I could use this to add something to the water that will be pumped to the sprinklers.

Fuel's what we need to make things go here. I'm guessing that the oven in the house will turn on if we have the generator running with the output on "house," so if we had, say, a cold snap tomorrow, we could heat ourselves up. The irrigation system could also serve as a sort of insect deterrent if we had some pesticide. So what about the car?

Step one to being a mechanic: know your ride. Yes, let's investigate the car.

Well, the car could be started, I guess. But it doesn't look very good. Obviously a wheel is missing. The ignition coil is busted. It has no fuel.

To do: find a spare wheel, an ignition coil, and fuel.

Okay, now that we know what we need for the day, I figured I'd leave the next step to you, goons. I'm taking every item for the upcoming trek. The question is, what way out of the house shall we explore first: east or west?

Clicking on either direction brings up this map. It's 8:08 am, and we have 11 hours and 52 minutes before night falls.

To the east is a roadblock, with a 15 minute travel time. Heading that way could probably net us an ignition coil, and it also appears to be a dead end, so we could turn right back around if we don't find anything. To the west is a destroyed bridge, with a 15 minute travel time. The gas station is beyond here, and that's probably where we'll find plenty of the supplies we need to survive the first night, as well as gas, obviously.

:siren: Please vote on the way we should go. I somehow find the need to head east pressing, but have no idea why. Still, I think 30 minutes to go and come back to the house, and then keep going west, is a fair use of our time.

Olive Branch fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 25, 2020

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

East sounds good!
For locusts we prob need the Window Net which I inexplicably know lies to the west.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Yeah, let's head east. Makes the most logical sense to me.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
East is a dead end, and thus easier to explore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Yeah, east makes sense. Obviously we'll need to find stuff there to fix that bridge.

I keep getting the weirdest sense of deja vu, like maybe I played this game before a long time ago? Can't remember. Eh, I'm sure it's nothing.