Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Valve managed to pull off an impressive feat, a game I'm both curious about and disinterested in. Curious because, well, Half-Life, but disinterested because I'll probably never get the VR system necessary for it and watching a video of someone else's VR experience has never really grabbed me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

its a wankproject and i'll literally eat my butt when it's a game

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Tom Gorman posted:

its a wankproject and i'll literally eat my butt when it's a game

Now that I'll pay good money for

MisterFister
Jul 6, 2003

Sticking it to THE MAN, assuming THE MAN is an innocent casual dining restaurant.
Funny thing is I would have gone all in and built a new pc and bought their vr thing if this was Half Life 3. Even after all these years. Ain't doing it for this.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Meh, I'm desperate enough for Half-Life-related content that I'll throw down for VR if the game seems good enough.

Hopefully they've perfected a haptic-feedback vest that someone will hack a month after launch to disable the safeties and cause a bunch of shattered ribs whenever you get hit with a Strider cannon

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol awesome can't wait to not play it

what am i supposed to do with vr when i only have one eye .(

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I'm stoked as hell, VR owns, Valve's 'The Lab' proves they get VR and goddamn Half-Life.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Dolphin posted:

I'm sure they'll have a pirate skin DLC you can buy.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Dolphin posted:

It's supposed to work with one eye but there's not a lot of info on that. Have you tried it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avH3wxHAzgY

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Judakel posted:

If you think this is a full game rather than a way for Valve to play around with tech they like... Wooo boy.

the datamines and leaks have suggested they intend for this to be a full-length game, or very close to it. it's not supposed to be a sandbox or a tech demo, but i guess we'll see if they actually pull it off

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

whatis posted:

the datamines and leaks have suggested they intend for this to be a full-length game, or very close to it. it's not supposed to be a sandbox or a tech demo, but i guess we'll see if they actually pull it off

They seem really onboard with VR, so they might pull out all the stops. The fact it stops short of a full sequel could simply be that most of the people that wrote those games are gone. I am not going to hold my breath, though.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
VR is pretty uninteresting to me. Hopefully this is cool and sells me on a headset sometime in the future. If its bad then yeah I just will still never own a VR headset then

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
Going to go ahead and guess this will use a lot of the tech from the Boneworks project (who had a pretty close relationship with Valve) plus whatever else they've been cooking up in the back-end in secret. Valve have a vested interest in pushing VR as the "next step" for PC gaming, and that means something more than your Beat Sabres or Superhots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ2lzV2LLwM

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Dolphin posted:

i know someone with 1 eye who says that VR works great, while 3D and the like did not

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I want to make a joke about someone with one eye but I can't think of one, so just pretend to be offended please

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Lemming posted:

It's good

Someone get this man on the Oculus payroll. This is the 1000th post you've made saying 'it's good' and posting huge gifs of you streaming it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Calipark posted:

Someone get this man on the Oculus payroll. This is the 1000th post you've made saying 'it's good' and posting huge gifs of you streaming it.

You're welcome

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
v cool

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

MisterFister posted:

Funny thing is I would have gone all in and built a new pc and bought their vr thing if this was Half Life 3. Even after all these years. Ain't doing it for this.

same. I suppose I will keep an eye out in case it's not a total turd because I've been waiting ages for this but this super disappointing

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Anyone who has been keeping an eye on Valve knows they've been putting in tons of research effort into VR for a long time now and the Half-Life series has always been their 'tadaaaa' when they've built something good and want to show other game developers how it's done. For a while now I've been saying that we won't see the next Half-Life until Valve feels their VR tech is ready so this just might be it.

Also lol:
https://twitter.com/Charalanahzard/status/1196583837616074753?s=20

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Anyone who has been keeping an eye on Valve knows they've been putting in tons of research effort into VR for a long time now and the Half-Life series has always been their 'tadaaaa' when they've built something good and want to show other game developers how it's done. For a while now I've been saying that we won't see the next Half-Life until Valve feels their VR tech is ready so this just might be it.

Also lol:
https://twitter.com/Charalanahzard/status/1196583837616074753?s=20

That's not hl3 tho

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
This poo poo is going to bomb so hard lmao

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

gently caress SNEEP posted:

That's not hl3 tho

They’re calling it their flagship game in the tweet. It’s pretty clear that it’s going to be more than a super-hot scale tech demo. What’s in a name?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

"half life 3 is vr" is not a hard to make prediction lmao

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

They’re calling it their flagship game in the tweet. It’s pretty clear that it’s going to be more than a super-hot scale tech demo. What’s in a name?

Look here pilgrim, so-called ~virtual reality~ isn't real and Valve can't count to 3 ok buckaroo and I'm mad as hell at gaben so it's bad!

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Also I’m pretty skeptical that they’ve still got their chops because last I heard almost all their competent game makers have left a long time ago. I don’t think this will be Duke Nukem Forever all over again but that’s also not a high bar to clear

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Also I’m pretty skeptical that they’ve still got their chops because last I heard almost all their competent game makers have left a long time ago. I don’t think this will be Duke Nukem Forever all over again but that’s also not a high bar to clear

DNF needs a VR mode so that I can aim my piss with precision while flipping off a pigcop

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Kinda same, but The Lab is pretty clearly trademark Valve classic style, from the humor and just how good everything feels, and that's extreme first generation stuff. The narrative aspects, well, we'll see, but the loose one present in The Lab is pretty good for what it is.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Bold move to make HL3 an immersive visual novel dating sim.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
This is not the half-life 3 that I wanted.

I will wait and see, though. I'm either going to be amused that VR finally has one good game, or laugh at the train wreck.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I like how there's finally more Half-Life and it's probably not HL3 or Episode 3

Lemming posted:

It's good

I got my brother an Oculus last Christmas and he tried it a few times but he gets really bad motion sickness so it doesn't work.

I've never tried it. I'd probably be ok since I don't get motion sickness.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Nov 19, 2019

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

what a sad attempt to sell their VR gear

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

i don't want it back

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

haldolium posted:

I'm pretty sure you can plug any PC compatible headset into Steam?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

haldolium posted:

yea totally this is just a scheme to sell Index units smdh gabe you mad genius

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

haldolium posted:

Except it runs on literally everything SteamVR supports. According to the here-to-forth true leaks.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
No one mentioned the leaks that it's a HL2 prequel? I guess that's one way not to continue a story you never planned on finishing

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Valve and Facebook bought heavy into VR while the rest of the world treats it like it is, a gimmick unable to replace classic media consumption.
So yes, it is too to sell more of their poo poo and still trying to open a market.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Right now it's an announcement about an announcement, we'll see Thursday I guess

I'm feeling dark fate levels of excitement here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

haldolium posted:

Valve and Facebook bought heavy into VR while the rest of the world treats it like it is, a gimmick unable to replace classic media consumption.
So yes, it is too to sell more of their poo poo and still trying to open a market.

Yeah and? Are you saying it's wrong to try and make new and exciting titles with established brands to push an entirely new and budding form of media to gain more mind share of the mainstream market and therefore sell more hardware. Thus making developing and expanding this brand new medium more alluring for big name developers? Further more enriching VR as it's own entertainment platform for all companies involved?

Weird. I can see where you're coming from. That is totally unreasonable. How dare they? They should just keep churning out regular ol' games like my pappy used to play.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Nov 19, 2019