Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I believe the couple throwaway lines Russ gives as you exit the distillery are all there is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I would have liked the ending to HLA better if it wasn’t openly spoiled in plain text some 10 or 15 pages ago :mad:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I loved the two handed weapons in Boneworks

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The original unreal is very slept on. I remember exiting the ship for the first time and being blown away by the big vista you’re dropped on.

I have never gone back and replayed that game and I feel like my memories might be very rose tinted given how many play throughs and speed runs and pontification you see in 2020 on half-life 1 compared to none of that for unreal, but I loved it at the time.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s funny because my level of anxiety went way down once i hit the prepurchase button because I knew I was gonna play the game for real.

My anxiety level is back up now because even though Valve says it won’t be another 13 years, it’s Valve, so it could be another 20.

My hope for the short term is the porting work to get HL2 into HLA works out because I can play those games all day, along with the eventual level editor making for some fun stuff

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

smoobles posted:

I imagine they all vomited into their headsets and ruined the warranty

Why does your HMD cover your mouth?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

smoobles posted:

I barf big

barf big or go home

barfing at the top of your lungs

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Captain Hygiene posted:

You just wanna barf all over the couch and carpet? :confused:

They are arguably easier to clean than an HMD?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I barf into the vent of my trash can mac pro

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Half life adjacent :smith:

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

https://twitter.com/DmnPix515/status/1249787590716174336

Rick May, the Soldier's VA from TF2, passed away.

Let's send him off good, with a massive Soldier clusterfuck in the server. From 7PM to 9PM central (8-10 eastern), I'm gonna have a class limit plugin on the server disabling every class except Soldier. Taunting and voice-clip spamming is 100% encouraged. Let's get as much motherfucking Rick May into two hours as we can.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jack Trades posted:

You should play Boneworks.

I love Boneworks but the melee is easily the worst most inconsistent part.

I’m gonna give Alyx a bit to marinade in my mind and then go back and try it on hard mode and explore more this time around. I didn’t even find the piano the first time!!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

just in general if you're posting in the half life thread, you should play tianfall 2. huge half life vibes

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I didnt get the burst fire specifically because one of my absolute favorite things in VR is taking time to line up shots on enemies

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If you've played through half life in preparation for Alyx and now have beaten Alyx, there is always TitanFall 2, on sale for $5. Huge half life vibes, highly recommended

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Titanfall 2 (PC Download) $4.99

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I love the option to have smooth movement and teleport at the same time.

I used smooth movement 99% of the time and then teleport to get through small spaces.

Every game needs to copy that scheme

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jack Trades posted:

Personally I'd rather the game make me actually crouch.

Alyx forcing me to teleport through places I should've been able to crawl though was really annoying.

Yeah but you’re the outlier there. Not everyone can do that for space reasons, physical reasons, or (in my case) laziness reasons.

E: just saw your last post. Yes, a checkbox for crouch type would have been better

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m about half way through the series and they’re fantastic

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I had a dream last night that I was playing HLA and I was in a section with Jeff and one of the zombies that throws headcrabs and it got too intense, so I took my headset off and I was still in the game, it wouldn’t go away, I couldn’t escape it and it was terrifying.

It was one of those dreams where I had to make myself wake up by forcing my eyes open

Thanks for joining in my therapy

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

gently caress. I knew it

Lots of vodka at least

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

tak posted:

Oh also, gotta say, I loved that every object I brought through a loading transition room stayed with me, including random poo poo I just piled in there (fuel cans, crates, chairs, mannequins, headcrabs....) I mean I didn't literally count stuff that wasn't usable, but at least I didn't notice any difference

And ammo/resin in loading rooms I looted with the grabbity gloves weren't duped when I loaded the next level the few times I found some in them

GOTD. Best FPS I've ever played bar none, let alone best vr game. It's the vr game I've been waiting for. I had a vive that broke after 4 months and HTC support dicked me around until my warranty expired, and wanted $400 to fix it. I bought an index specifically for this game and don't regret it at all

I will buy every dlc sight unseen, I need more. If I have to wait even 4 years for another valve vr game I'll probably die. Everything looks so fuzzy and textured and Xen tentacles dripping with smelly alien slime and breathing, and throbbing revoltingly when my flashlight is shining on it. Everything is just real. I felt like my head set was goggles that peered into another dimension--i couldn't tell that the flashlight wasn't real, it's extremely realistic and buttery smooth.

I found myself just staring at stuff constantly from all angles. Weird alien gribleys especially

Extremely :same:

I spent so much time just looking at stuff in this game. It was as much a walking simulator as an fps just because of how I played it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What? Give me the mod that puts HL2 weapons in Alyx you cowards!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I see he uses the Jim Silly-Balls version control methodology

:thunk:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hey friends, Alyx is a good game, I hope this helps our little community here.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jack Trades posted:

but still you could see that it was a last minute hack by how they still make you teleport through a bunch of sections anyways.

Counterpoint: I liked teleporting through crouch areas because I’m generally lazy when I play games and while I get ~my immersion~, it’s also obnoxious.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Aaaaaaand Steam is down. Is this really that huge of a thing?

E:maybe it’s up? :iiam:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bumping this thread from 10 months ago to say that there is still code from Quake in Half Life Alyx

https://kotaku.com/ancient-90s-code-from-quake-still-controls-lights-in-h-1847105972

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Half life Alyx still exists. You can play it today if you’d like, friend.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

5 days friendos!!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/658920/HalfLife_2_VR_Mod/

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well, half life 2 is a better game than alyx, so it really only depends on whether or not they gently caress up the VR implementation.

I say this as a big fan of alyx.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:siren: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbZ3HzvFEto :siren:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rookoo posted:

But he's right there??

Lol

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Unit24 posted:

Yeah Laidlaw literally called himself deranged for sharing that outline since it's absolutely not what the final story would have ended up being otherwise Valves lawyers were going to sue him out of existence

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ScreenDoorThrillr posted:

this is insane

it's the best combat in any vr game

I'm in your boat, I love Boneworks combat, gun handling, shooting, all of it, but it is probably the most polarizing VR game I've ever seen. There is an equally big boat of people who absolutely hate it and are just as vocal about it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Case in point, you thought the shooting was goofy, I thought the way the iron sights and scopes worked was awesome, and the loading and reloading did a lot to make the guns feel more real.

Its just that kind of polarizing game

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Boneworks was nice because you could basically do anything. Everything was a physics object, and everything could collide realistically with everything else. I recall in one level not having enough inventory slots to carry the stuff I wanted to take to the thing-saving-machine at the end of the level. I just picked up a trash can, threw them in and carried the trash can with me. It worked perfectly, minus the sound of like 5 guns rattling around in a metal trash can

I tried the same thing in Alyx when you first get grenades, and the grenades just sort of slipped out of the bucket I was carrying after I walked a bit, becuase the bucket wasnt designed to carry grenades, really.

Thats the main difference in my mind. Alyx was (very much like Half-Life), a series of setpieces that you can kind of interact with but mostly exist to impress visually. It was very polished, and looked and functioned better than boneworks. Boneworks was a linear series of places with stuff in them, and it was up to you to figure it all out any way you wanted. It wasnt always pretty, and could come across as quite janky, but dammit, if you wanted to smash a zombie in the crotch with a chair from a break room that you've been carrying with you for 20 minutes, you could.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It would be extremely slow and boring as a flat game. It is very much not designed around mouse and keyboard "whip your view 180 degrees in a split second" gameplay that you'd find in a regular flat FPS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Super gravity gun is crazy fun but I’m glad they kept its time short, being that wildly OP would get boring after a couple levels