Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
First time posting in this thread, but I grew up playing the poo poo out of Bungie's Halo games and from viewing the gameplay trailer of Infinity, it was really disappointing to realize that 343 still hasn't figured out what made the old titles so good (Though I'll grant that I haven't played Halo 5, not that I have much inclination to).

To jump on a high horse for a bit, talking about the single-player campaign specifically:

Twenty odd years ago, when the first Halo was being designed, it started out not as an FPS, but an RTS, with the gimmick that the player could jump into one of their units and fight from a third-person perspective. This eventually evolved into first person, and then the entire game was redesigned as an FPS because it turned out that was more fun and interesting—but the idea of the player being merely one unit on a much larger battlefield was reflected in the gameplay and level design of every one of Bungie's subsequent entries, from the beach assault of Silent Cartographer to the titanic battle against the duel scarabs of The Covenant. There were missions where you fought entirely by yourself, but very rarely were they as enjoyable or memorable as the missions you fought alongside allies, and it was these kinds of encounters that truly made the game feel unique and special.

Now, I'm going off old memories by this point, but in Halo 4 that... didn't happen. The game starts with the Chief on his own, and keeps him on his own for the vast majority of the game, with the sole exception of 1-2 levels in the middle of the game when you meet up with the Infinity. And it's telling that in the second level of the game, when you find the Warthog, it is the first time in the franchise since The Maw that the player is given a 'Hog without at least 1 partner. The story that 343 wants to tell is clearly centered around the Chief as an entity unto himself, as opposed to feeling like a small but highly influential part in a much larger conflict—and it's to both the story and the gameplay's detriment.

I had originally had some minor hopes for Infinite, but the gameplay trailer dashed them pretty quickly since... well, it tells us all we need to know about how 343 is approaching the story and gameplay: The Chief is isolated from allies and fighting by himself on a huge map, and actively tells the only other friendly NPC not to get involved. It's a huge shame and big indication that 343 just doesn't get it, and the game will likely be mediocre regardless of how many brutes or barely indistinguishable guns they put in because they refuse to built the levels and story around what the gameplay is most suited to and what the franchise has done best.

urgh. well, at least now I can always replay Halo 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Oxyclean posted:

Haven't watched yet, but Unraveled is always a treat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEWEdIcx1DI

lol I just finished watching it and was about to post it.

I couldn't believe the shocking revelation that the suit doesn't jack him off

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

TheGreySpectre posted:

It also kind of bugs me that they show a warthog with only chief driving as part of the demo. One of the cool things about the bungie halo games was you were always part of something big. Pretty much anytime they gave you a warthog they gave you some dudes with it. It made the game feel more alive. I feel like they didn't capture that feeling very well with Halo 4, and it looks like they aren't going to capture that feeling again in infinite.

I posted about this a few days ago but I completely agree. It's telling that the second level of Halo 4 is only the second time across the entire franchise that the Chief jumps into a Warthog by himself, the only other time being the Warthog Run on the Maw.