Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

ATP_Power posted:

I'm just guessing that if it's like most unis, the whole thing is underfunded and things like that probably aren't a priority on the budget even though they should be. Funnily enough, some of the stories I've heard from my friend who's worked at biotech startups make me think it can be much worse there. At least universities have departments devoted to OSHA stuff even if they aren't perfect - see the UCLA chemistry lab fatality (https://cen.acs.org/articles/87/i31/Learning-UCLA.html).

I wish I could find the story of a guy who worked at a pharma startup as a chemist and slowly started realizing one of the owners of the startup was trying to cook ecstasy on the DL with no knowledge of chemistry in a side room at the company but I can't track it down.

I feel like a lot of the chemical and biohazard stuff at my university is more geared to protect the university from liability rather than to create a safe work environment, like when my coworker was forced to clean up a spill of an unknown reagent that someone else made and EHS wouldn't touch the stuff (in an electrical engineering fabrication lab). I'm split between engineering (fab) and microbiology and do most of the ordering and receiving for my lab. Everything goes to a mailroom and initial receiving is always done by an office worker; I just have to assume none of the reagents I've ordered are damaged and leaking since they would have no idea what to do in the case of an exposure.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

They only seem to do inspections while there is nobody there, don't do a good job explaining safety violations post-inspection, and wouldn't help a graduate student with either labor or guidance about how to clean up a spill of an unknown reagent someone else created. Our EHS is bad at providing help or clarification on what to do when asked.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Kazak posted:

Does OSHA have a contingency if a worker is taken hostage on the job?
Warning: cops got there before OSHA and killed the poor driver
https://twitter.com/rklueber28/status/1202722185690914817?s=19

Cops have seen the movie Speed too many times

Harry Temple : All right, pop quiz. Airport, gunman with one hostage. He's using her for cover; he's almost to a plane. You're a hundred feet away... Jack?

Jack : Shoot the hostage.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

A picture of the incident:

:nws::nws:

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Yes, he's with the lord now

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

azurite posted:

Dominic, you rat!

I appreciate this post

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Dillbag posted:

My friend was in Hawaii during the "nukes inbound" false alarm text message. All the businesses in the area she was in locked and shuttered their doors. She and her family were left to wander the streets with her family and wait for death with the rest of the tourists.

Any excuse to repost this classic:

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

monolithburger posted:

Will my employer provide insulated turd handling gloves and fall arrest harness, or am I out of pocket on this?

edit: poo protective equipment

It came from your body. It's safe.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Memento posted:

Maybe you should give him more time to finnish

Finnish him

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Burt Sexual posted:

Viscera is another word I had to google

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Now I'm really hoping a truck full of expanding foam gets wedged under a bridge

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

LifeSunDeath posted:

I've worked around hundreds of patients with Cdiff...the smell is very *unique* and it's fungal so it's not something you can clean off of surfaces easily except with bleach...so you have to wear protective gowns but there's poo poo usually all over the place so it's hard not to get it on you...anyway, it sucks for patients more cause it mostly happens when people are compromised from long term antibiotic usage. It's literally a "superbug" that exists in all of our guts but only becomes a problem when it does.

C. diff isn't fungal but it does form endospores which are resistant to pretty much everything except (like you said) a 10% bleach solution for 10 minutes. Ingestion of spores are how it's actually transmitted which then germinate in your colon in response to bile acids (live C diff can't survive your stomach pH). There is plenty of asymptomatic colonization (up to ~15% of the population) but it's not necessarily part of your normal gut microbiome. And I assume it's covering every surface in any hospital. I've never been around a C. diff patient but I've cultured it hundreds of times and it certainly has a distinct (horrible) odor.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Nursing education is a lot of “how” and not so much the “why”. If you want the mechanics of it all a doctor is going to be waaaay better informed.

Sure, however it sure seems to depend on the level of specialization and if they also do research. I'm not an medical doctor (just a PhD student) but have written a bunch of papers on C. diff. Nurses and Drs have their own set of complex information to learn when it comes to practicing medicine which I will never know.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

What song would a musical garbage truck play?

https://youtu.be/83o1eAS7eiY

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Mozi posted:

looks like this guy only had Life 1.0, but these injuries would require at least Life XP

Chet is running a bit slow after the accident, looks like we will have to defrag him again

Lazyhound posted:

“morselized”

The most delicious way to die

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

If it continues on it's trajectory, you'll be quickly subjected to a high radiation zone. There's not a lot of shielding between you and the reactor, the design relies mostly on the water around it to be devoid of anything sensitive to radiation.

Submarines just gently caress up all life around them, huh

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

I really like how you synced up the "piss!" with the hydraulic fluid spraying out. Very nice.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Does anyone know a good Hokuto Shinken instructor? Because I think I'm going to need it while wandering the wastelands.

edit: wrong thread but I'm leaving it up

Whooping Crabs fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 4, 2020

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

New episode of "Well there's your problem" on the Bhopal disaster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCKVreNqMjI

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I think that's considered a biological weapon by the Geneva Convention at this point

Haven't you ever seen a pineapple grenade before?

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

https://i.imgur.com/P9QVPTH.mp4

Not sure this is much safer than the wingsuit people.

His butt touches the ground at one point. Beware the rear end dragons!

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkJhgOu1_zE

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

I don't know where to post this, so I'm putting it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCZTA4K3vu4

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Helen Highwater posted:

How about this for OSHA? Two active railway lines, with no barriers crossing a roundabout in Florida. That's like a quadfecta or something.

If the trains are coming from the left only, it's not so bad, since you should be looking that way in a roundabout anyway. If they are coming from both directions, yikes.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

This post needed a crosspost

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Holy poo poo

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

https://giant.gfycat.com/ImpassionedCompetentIbizanhound.webm

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

When I hear India, I think this:

I found Waldo

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Ok that's definitely some nightmare fuel. He should be glad it was a well and not a cesspit. Honestly for the depth and location it might be one.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

you're supposed to roll down the window first

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Is it dangerous to try to pry free a big metal object that might be holding back thousands of pounds of air pressure?

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

You must be under 6' tall to ride this ride. Love having my center of gravity above the edges of the slide.

It does look fun.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

this looks fake but I'm putting it here anyway

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/IncredibleBarrenDairycow-mobile.mp4

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

Tugfucklers

Alternately: Fucktugglers

e: Tuckfugglers?

RubnTuggers

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

eggyolk posted:

Something deep down inside me was very triggered by this video and just loving knew it was a HK minibus driver. The big bus drivers are equally crazy/skilled.

I saw this same video being discussed in another thread...unfortunately it's fake. The bus video is from Japan but they sped it up and dubbed over with audio in mandarin or cantonese (I don't remember which).

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

only dropped 1 bag!

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

crossposting this masterpiece

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

_____! posted: