Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Is there any way for this to play GB/GBC games as if they're going through a Super Game Boy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The Kins posted:

Due to the way the Super Game Boy works that'd require basically running a Game Boy core inside of a SNES core, which probably isn't a trivial task.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Correct. It is definitely not trivial.

For content - in case anybody likes playthroughs with dogs on lap, here’s a run of Michael Jackson’s Moonwalker on the Genesis core: https://youtu.be/aPGPkZeL8Q4

Yeah there was some very brief discussion about how one would implement it on RetroArch/the Pi but it never really went anywhere. I believe Higan can actually do it but IIRC the GB emulation itself isn't great, and there's other emulators that can add the borders and sort of approximate it but no real all around solution to it. I asked about it for this because maybe the only way it could really happen is if an entire SGB core was made or even specific ones for each game like what folks are doing with arcade games for the MiSTer.

Mode 7 posted:

Got my hands on a DE-10 nano last week and 128MB SDRAM just before the weekend.

It really is fun, I'm really interested in seeing this develop more because I was in the middle of getting the stuff to assemble a supergun but if this can do FPGA Neo Geo and other arcade games for slightly less work than that? :perfect:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Hot tip: Jump + Punch = Back Elbow, Jump + Kick = Jumping Back Kick

:hellyeah:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Finally want to pull the trigger and get in on this but I still feel lost on a few things for this.

For the DE-10 Nano itself, I notice MiSTerAddons/etc. show the Cyclone 5 iteration of it. Is the Cyclone 4 just as good or is it better to wait for the 5 to be more readily available?

I mainly want this to play like 90s arcade games and DOS stuff with that MT32/Pi roland imitation. Sega CD and the older systems I have a lot of other ways to play pretty accurately so they're not as important for this. I already have a Saturn and a Dreamcast with ODEs installed in them too so I don't think I would ever try to run anything more recent/complex PS1 games once that's better supported.

All of this would be getting played on a newer tv via an HDMI cable, I don't think we're ever going to have a CRT in our home again.

If I understand what I glean from the thread for this situation in addition to the DE-10 Nano I'd want the digital IO and the 128 RAM (for later Neo Geo games/some other larger stuff). The USB hub for having multiple controllers in at once, and an external hard drive. But you can get a case instead that can contain all of these items and would mean you don't need the USB hub?

The Jammix looks awesome but I'm never going to set up a harness in a cabinet or anything like that, so besides the form factor is there any other reason to going that route? Like the example case they show it in here:

https://www.misterkits.com/products/jammix

Seems rad but I kind of want a solution where I can fit an SSD or two inside it if I'm going to go that route.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Crackbone posted:

To your first question, there are no DE10 Nanos with a Cyclone 4 in them. Terasic has a DE0 board with a Cyclone 4, but that's not the same product. You can't use anything except a DE10 for MISTer.

Regarding accessories, the DE10 outputs HDMI natively, so you don't need the digital IO board. You don't need a USB board either, you can use a cheap USB hub (~$8) that does the same thing. A DE10 board +RAM and a cheap USB hub is a good starter while you figure out what else you really need. Not sure what you mean by "a case that contains all these items".

The Jammix integrates the functionality of a USB hub and IO board into an ITX form factor. You can install it into almost any PC case and you don't have to purchase a separate IO/USB board.

Nate RFB posted:

The logic element difference alone between the Cyclone IV and V is something like 20,000 vs. 100,000, to put it in context (and several cores are already close to maxing out the available LEs in the V).

All of this makes waaaaaaay more sense now thank you both :hfive:

By "a case that contains all these items" I meant basically your next explanation of how the Jammix can fit into a PC case.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

lo carb Lo Pan posted:

I bought the parts for that Arduino driven USB OLED screen that some people use to display cores and now I'm thinking if I can get it working I need some sort of 3D printed enclosure or drill into my metal case with a drill and Dremel which I haven't done before.

I guess I just think it'd be cool to add to my new build.
https://github.com/venice1200/MiSTer_tty2oled/wiki/Gallery

If I wanted to have d.ti's board made (first one on that list) has anyone here gotten a PBC made and pre-assembled if one is not as confidant with surface mount stuff? Like JLPPCB has a "with assembly" option but seems vague on what parts are in their library or not. Are there any PCB sites people would recommend for this?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

dishwasherlove posted:

Thank you for the suggestions, intelligent people. Really enjoying playing Gradius 2 on the X6800 core. Some really nice arcade ports to mess around with.

Check out its port of Bosconian for sure because holy poo poo that soundtrack :hellyeah:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Anyone have one of these? Any good? I searched the thread and it looks like a couple of people did order one in the first wave but haven't seen any word about them otherwise.

https://www.d3fmod.com/mini-itx-ironclad-plus/

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jan 2, 2022

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Dang it's like these things are a bit pricy but I really really want a more console-ish form factor so putting stuff in a small PC case with this or a Jammix seems ideal. You can get just the DE-10+USB hub itself into an even smaller case but I want to fit a hard drive in there too and, uh, my browser is history is failing me but I thought I saw (maybe for the Jammix?) like a concept for a front plate/case where the MT32-Pi could be in there too with the display/buttons facing out.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

mysteryberto posted:

Mister does support external storage. Easy enough to use a sata or nvme to usb converter or just a regular external hdd. I have read for rom storage you can’t have a mix of usb and microsd for the same core. You need to have the files only on usb or only on microsd.

Someone had even added a hard drive dock for a popular case.
https://retrofrog.net/products/mase-mister-attached-storage-enclosure

So could do something like have all your cartridge based games on the SD card since those are relatively small and then have a bunch of CD system games on a hard drive as along as the CD system cores are on the hard drive too?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

For arcade games on the MiSTer, can you rename the core file and the zip with the ROMs? Like if you want to for example not have every game with "The" in the title be under "T".

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

The physical connector on the DE10 doesn't have the greatest build quality so reducing the number of removals and re-insertions is better in the long term.

mysteryberto posted:

Agreed on minimizing the insertions on the microsd slot. I always use FTP or SMB to update the mister even on Wi-Fi I can get 5-7MB/s write speeds which is plenty for transferring content over. Given my recent experience I’m going to try some of the scripts to automatically backup save games in case my microsd dies on me.

I’ve also heard that the micro USB port is sensitive too and have read a few posts on the misterfpga forums of people breaking them. A few stories of users killing their no case misters with ESD as well. I plan on babying my mister and rarely touching the device itself. I’m not sure how many of these stories are abuse or if the de10 is really that sensitive.But if somehow my mister still dies I have a spare.

Just want to echo this, the first time I put the SD card back into the nano I thought I broke it because of how jank it felt, but fortunately it's working fine. The micro USB connector doesn't feel too great either so I've been very careful with it, even putting the whole thing into an anti-static bag when I'm done with it. Eventually I'll get a full case for it though but I'm waiting a bit to see if anymore console-ish case/board combos come up the one Mister Addons is working on.

Overall I'm extremely happy with the MiSTer. Even using a no-name $20 USB controller there's like 0 perceptible lag and it just worked. That rules. And as someone that's always hated scanlines I'm really happy with the variety of filters and display options some of the cores offer. My wife and I both tried some of the benchmark games (i.e., games we respectively had played so much way back they're fully ingrained) and it's crazy how perfect this can look and feel. I mean I expected the games to run perfectly because of the FPGA chip but they sound and look and feel so perfect to play for us. I really didn't think you could get a result this good via HDMI on a modern TV.

I have some dumbass questions:

The SNAC controller adapters, these seem cool since we still have a lot of original controllers for these systems, but I'm having some trouble deciding if they're worth it or not. Is it true that you can't use two of them at the same time? If that's the case could you use one and then another USB controller for two player games? In general for two player play can you just plug in two USB controllers? Is there any other configuration required besides mapping the buttons?

I feel like I'm a little lost with how to setup DOS games for this. I've looked at some guides and some are radically different from the other. Is there a thread consensus on a particular method for this or a favored guide somewhere? I see some act as if your entire card/drive has to just be dedicated to the DOS installation but is that true? You can't setup a partition or something? I don't want to have to be swapping out SD cards or drives to play different games once this is all setup.

If I want to get a single large SSD for everything, do the update scripts take that into account? Or like do you keep the cores on the SD card and just put the games on the drive?

If you run this on a CRT, is there a profile for the NES video settings that lets you achieve stuff like the shimmering stars in Contra and Mega Man 3? Even that's not consistent depending on what TV you have and how it's hooked up but stuff like that is so rad to me.

https://twitter.com/bitinkstudios/status/1300216579087626240

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Is it normal for the update all script to time out often when downloading MAME ROMs? Had it on for like an hour and it only got up to 1944 lmao. I tried both via wi-fi and an ethernet cable.

The documentation for the script say it gets them for archive.org but doesn't give a specific archive that it pulls from, I was hoping for that since for some of the games it seems to want very specific versions of the game and I wanted to avoid individually picking rom sets 1 by 1

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

The newest version of the official downloader now has custom filters. By editing the ini you can specify what you want and what you don't want. An example they give is using "filter = arcade-cores !arcade-pong" to download all arcade cores except Pong.

I'm happy to see this, as I don't like using update all scripts and prefer to curate everything myself.

Speaking of this, does the update all and official update scripts conflict with each other structure-wise? Like after I use update all once to get the MAME ROMs is there any reason to use it again besides the MAME ROMs?

So happy about this thing. I'm getting the digital IO now so I can use the MT-32 Pi with it. I think I definitely will get either Jammix or Mistercade/similar type board at some point once more case options are a thing. I finally got around to trying out the X68000 on this and holy poo poo :hellyeah: been wanting to play this thing in some decent quality forever

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 26, 2022

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Speaking of audio, feeling a little stumped here...

I got the MT32-Pi hat connected to a Pi 3A+, I doublechecked the config file for it and everything does seem on point. I hook it up to the user port on the digital I/O, when I power it on it seems to start up correctly, the buttons work to select MT-32/soundfont and which rom/fonts I want so on the MT32-Pi so the LCD/etc. on it seems to be working just fine.

But it doesn't actually show up on the MiSTer OSD for the X68000/Amiga/etc. If I choose to use the Roland like from an X68000 game's startup menu there's no sound.

Now if I power the MiSTer via power going to the digital I/O when I turn it on I get the low voltage error message which they say not to worry about and can be disabled in the config menu, but it shows up even with warnings being disabled in the config file.

If I power it by just plugging the PSU directly into the Nano w/ the USB splitter going to the hub I don't get the low voltage error, but the MT32-Pi still isn't being detected by the MiSTer.

This is the PSU I'm using, and I've kept the switch on the pi-hate off like the guide says since it's being connected to the MiSTer
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/mean-well-usa-inc/GST25A05-P1J/7703645

Does this sound like it's just a bad USB cable from the MT32-Pi to the MiSTer's user port? I'm using the one that came with it (got it from https://misterfpga.co.uk so it's not like a knockoff thing). But if it does turn out to be the cable is there another/better one folks might recommend?

There's a list of potential ones here but does anyone in this thread have actual experience with any of these?

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jan 31, 2022

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Nate RFB posted:

MT32-Pi advice

Sorry I didn't reply to this earlier, everything was configured correctly, but it turns out it's also a big help if MTPi-32's the switch is in the on position. :laffo:
I must have misread one of the guides and thought it was to be kept off when connected/powered via the user port. This thing is loving incredible.

w00tazn posted:

His new board is such a weird thing and is so niche. Don't switch from analog i/o to a digital board for dual sdram until you actually need it lol

I am wondering how much board evolution there is left. Like someone posted earlier you can just not have the I/O hooked directly over the nano or the hub if you have some niche port situation to deal with. But I get the appeal of being able to fit everything in and around the aluminum case and the appeal of working on new boards to get people to buy on impulse, no judgment. That's less for the average user and more for the people I see on the forums casually mentioning the differences between their first and second MiSTer setup.

Zophar posted:

I seem to recall a theory that Metal Jesus likely runs a bunch of ebay/aftermarket stores and the YouTube show just exists to drive interest for whatever he's trying to unload from his stock.

I haven't watched game collector YouTube in a loooong time but I've definitely seen a few that come off like that. Always just came off like Aintitcool back in the day where they'd have their new release picks and it would just be, like a list of every single genre film that became available on Amazon that week with a link+description of what a must-buy it is whether they had seen the movie or not.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Randalor posted:

I'm wanting to get a MiSTer setup for an arcade1up cabinet I'm modding, but I'm guessing the ship has sailed on getting the DE10-Nano board?

The link in the OP lists Terasic, Mouser and Digikey as suppliers, but do any goons know of another Canadian supplier that may have them in stock still, or should I just sign up for waiting lists and be patient?

I should still be able to get the other components while I'm waiting though, right? The board probably isn't going to add/remove/change the layout of the board at this point?

One thing I will say about Terasic's site, I don't think they necessarily update their availability quickly. When I ordered mine it was still out of stock on their website but I put the order in anyway figuring I'd get it some time later whenever they restocked. But then it arrived like a week later and I noticed between then and when I got it they only briefly changed the site to say they were in stock.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Daddys hot grill posted:

Does anyone have experience with the RetroCastle IO board and case from AliExpress? I know there's been complaints about the bitfunx IO board's quantity, but maybe RetroCastle is different (?).

I don't really need an IO board (or USB hub) and have just been rocking the DE-10 nano bare. I'm starting to think seriously about protecting it more with the raise in price and scarcity.

I wanted to just get a 3D printed case, but from the quotes I get it looks to come out at about the same price as the RetroCastle bundle. (~ $80-100). Though I know nothing about 3D printing generally, and I'm in Japan.

Really, if I have to get an IO board, I would want to get a digital one, but I can only find them from European and USA sellers, if they even have stock. Plus their cases are bigger and USB board is required as well.

I'm really just lamenting the fact that no one is sell selling case that are intended for the DE-10 alone.

I'm in this boat too, originally I was going to get a case but with everything sold out I figured who needs one. But now that everything is getting so much more expensive I kind of do want one.

I wouldn't necessarily mind getting a case now but I think I might go the generic ITX route now instead.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

This actually is worth it so people can experience the absolute dogshit that is Kasumi Ninja first-hand (and also the Highlander animated cartoon game if JagCD ever happens).

EDIT:

LMAO forever at these when they came out still lmao as these today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-H30CSvsCU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQb9a6EoMHk

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 21, 2022

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

hatty posted:

I love trash so I’m looking forward to diving into the jaguar library eventually

It's the only reason to work on the core at all because there's trash games and then there's the Jaguar library which has some absolutely rancid piles of poo poo on it. The folks running the Atari name at the time just wanted stuff cranked out by a bunch of Epyx/etc. C64 kind of devs and here we are. Tempest 2000 is a very good game but it got a few ports and Tempest X3 on the PSX. Iron Soldier was sort of cool for the exact moment it came out but was so quickly eclipsed. AvP stood out at the time for obvious reasons but absolutely does not hold up. Those were the only three games specifically made for it that you could say were good. Everything else was either mega-poo poo or is available on other systems.

Whenever the core is completed check out Ultra Vortek and Fight for Life for sure. The latter wasn't just rushed but was a straight up unfinished game where they just said gently caress it we want it out on the Jaguar now because they were so sure having a REAL TIME 3D FIGHTING GAME would save the system and, whelp. IIRC there was a hack that, I won't say makes the game good, but at least brings it to a more completed state.

Still sad this one got cancelled I remember seeing preview screenshots of it, would have been the icing on the cake that is the Atari Jaguar's dogshit library:

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 21, 2022

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

katkillad2 posted:

Like what exactly? I'm not trying to be a dick, seems like with PS1 and Saturn we are reaching the MiSTer's limits so what don't we have yet? I really hope someone puts the effort into getting the 3DO on the MiSTer personally.

I'm pretty pumped for Jaguar on MiSTer though I hope they remove the extra ram requirement. I don't want to play Jaguar in emulators and it's definitely better than buying one for whatever stupid prices they are going for and trying to track down a rom cart or whatever. I remember buying one at KB Toys when they were unloading them for like $30 dollars and even at that price was pretty disappointed, but still want to check it out.

I mean I want the Jaguar so I can show people the horrible games on it easily but to me more arcade cores should be the absolute top priority for it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Kreeblah posted:

https://twitter.com/srg320_/status/1495073537677307905

Looks like the Saturn core might end up working with a single SDRAM module. srg320's looking into it, at least.

Is there an advantage to a core only needing one ram module besides not having to get a second one?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Speaking of the case I feel like I'm being a complete dumbass with my searching. I saw a case I think on YouTube or a GitHub part list where it had space for the Mister+I/O+SSD, but also the MT-Pi 32 and that extra (incredibly excessive) arduino setup with the screen to show an image of what core you're running. So it was customized to have visible displays for both the PI-32 and the core image. Does anyone have a link to what case was used as the base for this or was it like completely custom made?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The Ironclad is up for pre-order again if people are into that. Did anyone in the thread ever get one of these?

https://www.d3fmod.com/mini-itx-ironclad-plus/

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

nullobject has released publicly Gaia Crusaders for the Cave 68K core. It's a cool looking beat 'em up.

That fuckin' rules. Very cool Noise Factory game from right before they did Sengoku 3/worked on Rage of the Dragons with Evoga. Some real good music and some nice backgrounds some of which are inspired by artist Zdzisław Beksinski (sp). Fun stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=towIljWsTag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya3l15a69Rk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VJATyGBz2g

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Feel like a dumbass at searching but I was sure a forum post somewhere talked about this, if you have an SSD hooked up to the MiSTer is there a way to have the update all script download to that SSD instead of to the micro SD card?

I forget how this works to have the mister look to the SSD for the actual games.

Iol I thought I had all of this down but so much time has passed since then and now that I actually have all the MiSTer stuff I want

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

w00tazn posted:

Isn't there a setting to basically load off of USB for everything? The Switch to USB option in the menu?
If that doesn't work then you'll have to edit the scripts to redirect them to the mounted drive.

Looking into this further, there is and I tried it but it wouldn't read my hard drive. Looking online it seems like there's almost no actual documentation about this feature and it takes some really specific configuration to make it actually work and most hard drive using playeers have problems with it?

The recommended solution seems to be to just get a big enough SD card to contain the update_all arcade roms/etc., then put every other game folder on your hard drive so the mister is using both. Works great for me.

I know it's a niche of a niche of a niche but I kind of wish X68000 curation was a little more consistent, but at the same time tinkering with this stuff is half the fun.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 19, 2022

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

bone emulator posted:

I just need a Castlevania save on my mc for the psycho mantis fight or else it simply won't feel right

Play Azure Dreams, Suikoden 1, and Vandal Hearts for a bit also since he can also read those. :D

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I got a 2TB SSD so it's not too often that I have to actually take it out of the case to add games to it, but I cannot for the life of me connect to the MiSTer to add/move stuff around via wifi or ethernet at all, nothing works. It seems to find the MiSTer's IP without an issue but I'm just denied access, not even getting to the point where I can log in. But on the MiSTer itself I can get into Linux on it via F9 and log in, samba is renamed correctly, etc. I'm not sure what else I can enable or whatever at this point to get it to let me in.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 20, 2022

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Did you enable ftp?

This is probably what's loving me up. When I searched about this supposedly it's enabled by default, and when I do find info about it's more focused on setting up NAS or otherwise mounting something as storage just for the MiSTer to read and load games from.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I notice for the X68000 the majority of downloads I see for the games are dimm/etc. formats, but I see some people say .HDF is the best for using them on the MiSTer. I have stuff like Virtual Floppy Converter that lets you go from .DIMM to .D88/XDF/etc., but what are the steps to turn some X68000 disks into a single .HDF? My search skills for this suck rear end.

I see there are good sets with a lot of .HDF versions of the games already (and even small collections of English translated ones) but I notice there's an English version of Lagoon and I'd love to be able to have that as a single file. It's one of the kind of a pain games otherwise where it's five disks and there's a system disk you have to load/write over when you want to save your game, etc. choppy stuff like that.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

katkillad2 posted:

I don't have an answer to any of that, but when I looked at the X68000 core a few months ago it seemed kind of rough. Graphical issues and sound missing from games. I hope it's still being worked on and not in it's final state, I'd really like the explore the X68000 library at some point.

Same but it's come along well to me, important stuff like Bosconian looks/sounds excellent, and there's some good collections on archive.org specific to the MiSTer of most of the essentials (except Lagoon in English :negative: ).

And holy poo poo yes Blaster owns :hfive:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

VladimirLeninpest posted:

I tried explaining Mister to one of my non-retro gamer friends and they didn’t really care. They know what a RetroPi is and figured it was the same thing despite my ranting and raving.

I think that's reasonable for most users. I always describe the benefits of FPGA/MiSTer to my friends compared to software emulation but the tl,dr of it all when people see the box I have for it is always "it's like a Raspberry Pi but for insane people" which gets the point across fine.

Like if you want "good enough" and aren't trying to 1CC no miss SNES Gradius III then the Pi is loving awesome and there's nothing wrong with that. If you played enough of these games back in the day or on real hardware that the differences are noticeable to you then the MiSTer is worth it.

Kreeblah posted:

This is a reasonable question, but we really need to put it in the thread OP, I think, because it's also a pretty common one (with an unfortunately non-obvious answer).

As folks have said, there's nothing really on the horizon for different hardware, and that's because even with the price hikes, the DE10-Nano is still cheaper (by a lot) than just buying the FPGA on it by itself. It's a board subsidized for education that the MiSTer folks are repurposing. Better/more capable FPGAs already exist today, but they cost thousands of dollars, which is going to put them way out of reach for the vast majority of people, even folks who are willing to fork over a few hundred for a MiSTer setup today.

Plus to be frank the MiSTer is permanent for me for a hell of a lot of hardware I used to have hooked up. Like if mine died eventually I'd get another DE10-Nano without hesitation for the reasons you mention. The stuff I care about running on it works great.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Kreeblah posted:

The other thing, at least for me, is that the only things I think we're really missing that could be offered by a more capable FPGA would be the N64 and maybe the Dreamcast, Gamecube, and PS2. Each of those would be an absolutely herculean effort, but definitely worth it over emulation for at least the N64.

FPGA implementations start losing a lot of their additional value when we talk about systems that run operating systems between the system and the games, because a lot of the timing and other complexities that FPGAs help with get abstracted away by the OS. I know the Dreamcast ran Windows CE (:lol:), but I don't know how it impacted games actually running on the thing, so maybe there could be some benefit there, and I don't really know enough about the Gamecube and PS2 software/hardware architectures to really know how that all is set up, but in general, once we get past that era, I'm not sure FPGA implementations would improve the experience much.

Agreed. Plus for me personally we still have our GC, PS2 and DC hooked up. I can't speak for all of them but if someone's already have $$$ to drop on MiSTer stuff, I'd recommend just getting a Gamecube off Ebay and getting whatever adapter/hookup you need to get it running video how you want and then use an ODE instead.

The Dreamcast I'd recommend getting the DCDigital which can be some money and you might need to pay someone else to install it for you but for the GC as long as you have a component port version people make HD adapters for the GC that give great result. And if you want it on an old TV S-Video looks look great.

Dreamcasts are a little more expensive still though but you can get a Gamecube or Dreamcast for much less if you're going the ODE route anyway, the secret technique is to buy consoles for much less than normal on EBay by looking for the magic words of "powers on but doesn't read disks". :D I couldn't believe how well this worked lol

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 8, 2023

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

katkillad2 posted:

Apparently someone is working on a Virtual Boy core for the Analogue Pocket, said they would eventually port it to the MiSTer.

This is awesome news because I recapped my Virtual Boy and got it to the point where everything powers on and it works but one of the ribbons came loose over time and I'm just not good enough to solder it back into the place and the other solutions for fixing that hasn't been working.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

mysteryberto posted:

Oh snap N64 core released:
https://twitter.com/azumfpg/status/1662335239715266562

Well it’s a start and promising for the future.

This is amazing, hope it goes places

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Been using the MiSTer regularly without any issues, but recently CD games, like PSX and Turbo CD specifically, run unplayably bad. Like periodically freezing and stuttering constantly, what's up with that? Does my hard drive just suck? Everything seems properly connected, stuff like NEOGEO/NES/etc. games run perfectly. And we used to play through PSX/etc. stuff with zero issue.

Corb3t posted:

Jotego is making great progress on his Neo Geo Pocket core:

https://twitter.com/topapate/status/1670107678201331712?s=46

gently caress YES

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Coffee Jones posted:

Drive read speed settings are set to default, right?
Wish there was a "drive health" indicator for flash cards because, they're ubiquitous but also

Yeah everything was set up correctly overall, not long after posting this the SSD I was using for the MiSTer just straight up died, I think I figured out the problem lol.

I rebuilt everything with a new drive and it's fine now.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Kreeblah posted:

Also, the Neo Geo CD core (really, an update to the Neo Geo core) was released today. So, that's a thing now.

Worth it to check out Samurai Shodown RPG for a bit and also that demo CD with very early iterations of Fatal Fury 3/etc. on it presented by a creepy pre-rendered Athena Asamiya!

Also those CD soundtracks especially for the Fatal Fury and Samurai Shodown games are absolute god-tier. KOF is great too but those all at least got more reliable CD ports back in the day.

For the PC Engine CD, I know you can enable the arcade card support for those games but is there a way have it use a particular bios for a specific game like if you want to try the unlicensed Games Express games/etc. or if you want to play Altered Beast (requires System Card 1.0 or it won't work properly)? Loading it as a HuCard and then inserting the CD like you'd do on the actual hardware doesn't seem to do it. Like is there some script or way to make the Mister always use a specific one for a specific game but use its regular one for everything else?

Also for the X68000, the core works quite well overall but it doesn't support .XDF which is what a ton of X68000 rips online are compressed too, there's even ones that I've ONLY ever seen as .XDF like the English translation of Lagoon/etc.

I see posts online about converting them, how it'd be nice if the MiSTer supported XDF so you wouldn't have to take time to convert them and stuff like that. But I can't find anywhere that actually says how to do it or with what program(s). Like I'm happy to just do it myself but can't find actual instruction on doing it.

I'm used to using Virtual Floppy Converter to mess with X68000 disks but it can't convert to HDF.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

univbee posted:

I’ll double check later .but I think you can do something like having the PCE CD system ROM file you need with a specific name in a subfolder with the image of the CD you want to load

I appreciate it, I see some mention of this in posts from a few years ago but no actual process for doing it.