Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Nierbo posted:

Matt Brown should never fight again. Wasn't he teetering on the edge of having legit slurred speech a few yrs ago.

Are you thinking of Matt Hughes?

Ugh I keep misreading loving articles and poo poo because Khabib and Conor are supposed to be fighting on the 18th (of different months).

Brut fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Jose Aldo is saying he wants to fight until he's 40, maybe longer, says that he used to just eat whatever and only cut weight before the fight and he now believes that's what made him feel bad enough that he was talking about retiring soon, apparently they've got him eating healthy to make 135 and he says he feels so much better that it's completely changed his mind about his fighting future.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Eh he's only 33, and kept up relatively well for 3 rounds against the guy who's fighting for the title next weekend, I mostly found it interesting that he seemed to be saying he literally didn't know eating healthy makes you feel better, rather than worse. It's also a very stark turnaround from previously being very vocal about a specific retirement plan.

If Marlon crushes him next weekend I'll re-evaluate I guess.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Memento posted:

They said they were going to relaunch fightpass "in October" with new features and an upgrade to HTML5.

Did they actually say the second part? The only person I remember hearing say they're relaunching fightpass is Dana White and I don't think he's ever said "HTML5" in his life.

As for the site itself, I don't know why the dude you're quoting expects the video quality options to change, this was a front end update, the videos are the videos.

There ARE links to full event video pages, but they currently just redirect back to the main page, I'm not sure if they're gonna fix it by making the links work or fix it by removing the links.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

i assumed this picture would be aldo like, "reasonably close" to weight. this is jose aldo at 152 pounds. the withered husk of a man in that picture has to cut 16+ pounds still. holy poo poo moraes is going to absolutely murder him

I have no idea where/when the picture in that tweet is from, here's the 20 minute video where among other things he says he's 152:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Gr4pby22Gs

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

What if...Zabit vs TKZ.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Korean Zombie vs Ryan Hall.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Dana is on the radio right now ( https://www.radio.com/thefandc/listen ), seems to still be claiming that the Cowboy fight is on, despite there being no official announcement and the first 2020 event listed on ufc.com is still the January 25 card.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Keith Mars posted:

Dan Didio posted:

Conor isn’t going to fight Jorge.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

So this is weird, if I try to click a full event page, for example UFC Sao Paulo: Blachowicz vs Souza from the US, it just dumps me to the front page, if I try to click it from somewhere else, it asks me that to watch that video I need to upgrade from paying them $9.99 a month to $10.99 a month. I'm assuming it will do the same if I try to watch this Saturday's card live.

I could give them their 11 bucks now out of curiosity, but I think I'll go back to playing RDR2 and figure this out when it's closer to my renew date.

Brut fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Dec 6, 2019

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

So far the only person to use the hoop is Thug Nasty who weighed in at 145.2 so basically just took his pants off cuz he felt like it.

Matt Sayles 148.5 (Thug Nasty's opponent)
Cynthia Calvillo 120.5

Both fights have been sanctioned and accepted, Thug Nasty gets 20% and Marina Rodriguez gets 30%.

Reem didn't even take his shoes off to weigh in which was pretty funny, they don't usually let you do that.

Brut fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 6, 2019

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

you know he actually won the title, right?

Yes the currently 38 year old man won a title in 2010 and defended it in 2011, Barao was more recently than that by several years, what's your point?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Memento posted:

Is Edgar out of the Sandhagen fight? Is he still planning on fighting twice in five weeks?

No. Yes.

Snowman_McK posted:

It seems important to distinguish between former champs and gatekeepers.

Even if he'd never been the champ, he's been in a shitload of amazing fights, including one that is up there with the very best fights in the sport's young history, which is why he should be paid better.

Which specific fight do you mean?

I get that you think Frankie deserves our respect, and he does, but currently he's definitely a gatekeeper. That being said the gate he's keeping is 145lb title contention, which is some of the best in our sport, compared to for example OSP who is/was a gatekeeper for 205 top 10.

Brut fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 7, 2019

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Kind Friend posted:

tomorrow is my first live ufc event and i have a dumb question. when should i arrive? is it worth it to show up for (early) prelims?

Yeah go see everything. What kind of seats you got?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's also why there are some fights I can pull up and clearly hear me yelling things in the background.

How close to the octagon do you have to sit for this to happen?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Kind Friend posted:

thanks for the advice y'all. we'll definitely go for everything. I got seats near the base of the lower bowl. super pumped!!

Cool. I was considering driving down for this but I think I'm gonna save up and try to get decent seats for the Brooklyn card, not really in the mood for a 3 hour night time winter drive back either.

Mekchu posted:

Counterpoint: their events live are a ton of fun

But yeah I've gradually been gravitating more and more towards more submission only events/orgs like Quintet or Polaris.

I tuned in to Polaris when I saw a tweet with a video of someone's arm breaking just before the Luke Rockhold match, but was disappointed when in that match there was no submission, just 15 minutes of collar ties and then for some reason a decision instead of just calling it a tie.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

JuanGoat posted:

I'm like 6 rows back from front row. Would it have been better to get lower bowl? my tickets were like ~180

Take a picture of the octagon and post it and we'll tell you whether or not the view is up to your satisfaction.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Hey I somehow fit 4 fights in to the title of this GDT

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Kind Friend posted:

tomorrow is my first live ufc event and i have a dumb question. when should i arrive? is it worth it to show up for (early) prelims?

Mekchu posted:

I always go early for the prelims because sometimes there's a hilariously brutal KO. Also because I'm dumb and have little care about sitting in an arena for 6ish hours.

Good advice.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

JuanGoat posted:

Corner post in the middle of my view lmao

drat. Yeah about 10 rows up looks pretty decent, looking at those seats on the right side of the picture, good luck with your neck.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/StefanStruve/status/1203982374905753601

Yo by the way how the gently caress does Mario Yamasaki have a brother who snuck on to a UFC card and basically has the exact same reffing strategy?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/StefanStruve/status/1204102284948328448

hahahahahahahaha

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Future Middleweight TJ "CAN SOMEONE FIND USADA" Dillashaw

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Nierbo posted:

gently caress it's weird seeing Aldo with a beard too

I saw someone reply something similar on Twitter and I can't tell if you guys are joking or not

EDIT:

leftist heap posted:

aldo looks way less gaunt in that pic

God drat it.

Brut fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 9, 2019

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Skjorte posted:

I think she has a chance. She's rightfully the underdog as she sucks on the ground and has nowhere near the MMA resume as Nunes, but she's not a lamb-to-the-slaughter type challenger like Pennington (or Eye vs Shevchenko) where they were outgunned both physically and in every aspect of MMA. Nunes is an infinitely better grappler, but with GDR coming into MMA a far more credentialed striker than the rest of her division, I assume she's spent the last many years improving her defensive grappling. If she can stuff a takedown or two and survive maybe a round in a bad position, or Nunes wants to try to beat her standing this time, I think she provides the biggest threat to Nunes at 135.

GDR spent her last many years working a desk job from which she has to ask for permission to take a couple weeks off for each training camp every time she has a UFC fight (which is about once a year at most).

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Mekchu posted:

Also in case anyone was interested, UFC & Quintet (Sakuraba's grappling org) have their big 4 team tournament this Thursday and I figured I'd share it here because A) it's on Fight Pass and B) it is kinda cool.

Honestly, this whole thing looks really dope.

Is the format the same as those 5v5 MMA matches from eastern europe?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Mekchu posted:

Nope. It's submission only and when a Team faces another Team it goes like this.

Team A sends Member 1 to face off against Team B's Member 1. If Team A win the match, then Team B send out Member 2 while Team A's Member 1 remains on the mat. This continues until one team has lost all 5 of it's members. A draw (time limit) simply results in both competitors on the mat being eliminated.

Oh I was joking but that format sounds cool, I assumed they were just split up by weight especially with Rumble being there. Are there time limits? If time runs out it's a draw or decision?

https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1204436488546586625

Brut fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 10, 2019

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

I didn’t follow any of the lead up to the fight — is there any antisocial sentiment in Suriname for Holland?

Holy poo poo

Wikipedia posted:

In August 2014, Rozenstruik was arrested and detained by Royal Netherlands Marechaussee on suspicion of smuggling drugs along with seven other Surinamese in Netherlands who the group claimed to attend a kickboxing event. After 14 to 16 months of detention, Rozenstruik was released as the Dutch authority found seven members of the group had swallowed balls of drugs but not Rozenstruik and he was the only kickboxer among the group

Brut fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 10, 2019

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

All 2020 events previously listed on the UFC.com events page are now missing, presumably to make it slightly less obvious that Conor isn't fighting. What a shitshow.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

spb posted:

There's a card in three days and I feel like no one is talking about it.

edit: And I don't think it's a bad card at all.

It's been announced for a while and hasn't really had any changes to it since they hijacked the main event, I think a lot of us are just assuming anyone who remotely cares has heard about the fight card with 3 title fights on it.

Aldo looks like he won't make it to the scale.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Does anyone have pictures of Romero 16~ hours before a weigh in?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

He doesn't want fun he wants a title shot and thinks this is his only chance, he was gonna retire.

Also just to be clear, nobody is fighting tomorrow.

edit: I bet there's been talk of a aldo frankie fight for the interim 135 to be later promoted if Cejudo decides to retire or otherwise can't defend.

Brut fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 12, 2019

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

I know it's frowned upon with our forum culture but these are the only threads that have ever made me consistently wish I could "like" posts with how frequently I laugh out loud :kiddo:

You can rate the thread at the bottom :shrug:

By the way apparently Andre "Dede" Pederneiras is the man responsible for Aldo's cut, one of the Nova Uniao founders. That dude has a 1-1 MMA record in 4 fights, including losing to Pat Miletich and a 15 minute timeout draw against Genki Sudo.

Brut fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 12, 2019

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

CRISPYBABY posted:

A lotta solid coaches were mediocre fighters tho. (I have no idea if Dede is a good coach or not). Guys flame out and realize that they're better at helping other people than themselves.

Mean Bean Machine posted:

andre pederneiras is considered one of the best mma coaches ever, and nova uniao was doing really well a few years ago. his record isn't really relevant, most great coaches were bad fighters
Yeah I wasn't trying to imply anything about his coaching, I was pointing his name out because Aldo is out there repeating this was all Dede's idea over and over. I was pointing out the record because 1-1 over 4 fights is funny, and I was super surprised that of those 4 (in 1999~), 2 are names I very much recognize.

CommonShore posted:

Cosplaying racism is still racism.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

You can't perform genuine acts of racism and then say it's only a joke bro and claim you're not racist
The thing about Mike Perry occasionally saying words he shouldn't say or Conor being an rear end in a top hat to people or Jones being supersmug, is that they're generally conveying the personality they have naturally. I didn't really know Colby's fighting style until his Lawler fight so he's probably right that nobody was paying attention to him and he had to come up with a gimmick or something, but then you've got a blank slate, you can come up with literally anything, and the thing you come up with is a super racist dude who pretends to read the first page of a book in the middle of interviews?

Jerome Louis posted:

Gym gossip but I train at UF and word going around that last week Cody dropped Urijah in sparring then kneed him in the head when he was down. And Cody is planning on leaving TAM and going to Mark Henry's full time. I normally don't care about gossip and wouldn't post but this gym is pretty lame lol. So who knows how Urijah will do in this next fight

By "Train at UF" do you mean with Urijah Faber? Or do you mean University of Florida?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

JaySB posted:

Re: Cody vs Urijah...Hadn't Cody announced a while ago that we was leaving TAM and then kinda just came back?

I know he announced he was gonna be working with Henry but I only remember rumors about anything else.

https://twitter.com/francis_ngannou/status/1205434281662668800

Late night Ngannou tweets I never knew I wanted hahahaha

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Something was brought to my attention that I was not aware of

That's October 2014, after Colby's very first UFC fight.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Oh gotcha, I didn't know the gym had it's own name, that makes more sense.

It's weigh in time.

Holloway 145
Perry 170.5
Usman 170
Randamie 134.5
Yan 135.5
Akhmedov 185.5
Neil 170
Morano 125.5
Nunes 134.5
Moraes 135.5
Piechota 185
Volkanovski 144.5
Aldana 135.5
Vieira 136
Soriano 185.5
Aldo 136 no towel, nobody helping him, seemed the same as yesterday
Faber 135.5
Heinisch 185.5
Saunders 170
Hooper 144.5 holy poo poo he's 20 but looks 15
Kara-France 125.5
<5 minute break>
Teymur 145.5 managed not to poke anyone in the eye
<30 minute break>
Araújo 126
<1 hour in to weigh in window>
Brown 171
<1:20>
Covington 170
<couple minutes later>
Eye 131

Brut fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 13, 2019

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

90 minutes in to the weigh in window, last to weigh in, Jessica Eye gets in the hoop and weighs in at 131 for her flyweight match. Everyone else made weight without a towel/hoop.

https://twitter.com/aaronbronsteter/status/1205283074654658560

Brut fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

The better question is why you feel compelled to put your own gym's poo poo in the street.

Probably because like you he's been on this website since drat near the turn of the century, or in other words before Urijah Faber's first MMA fight gently caress a gym opening, and we've all agreed to pretend that means something.