Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Elentor posted:

I'm slightly drunk so I'd just like to tell you I like you all and thank you all FF7 fans who stood with me over the years that meant a lot, xoxo.

Thanks for showing us there's so much more to the original game than the iffy translation suggests. That these little Lego people have such developed characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

SlimGoodbody posted:

Kingdom Hearts is increasingly hilarious to me, because it seems to have completely misconstrued what people liked about it. It started out as "your favorite Disney characters hanging out with your favorite Final Fantasy characters," and somewhere along the way Nomura decided that what people actually liked and wanted more of was dozens of hours of interminable bullshit about his 400 edgy DeviantArt OCs in trenchcoats who are all named poo poo like Tylexol and Ibuproxin

Just finishing my all pro code run and can safely say that fighting anime men is the best part

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

It sorta is since raising the stagger gauge is a big part of it. But 7 did it better imo.

FF7R somehow takes the best elements of the XIII trilogy and Advent Children with almost none of the things that dragged them down.

I’m really glad the lead programmer on Lightning Returns was promoted to co-director on FF7R. That game felt great both in combat and outside of it, which carried over to 7. Dunno why Lightning moves so painfully slowly if you manually control her in battle though.

XV was pretty much the opposite. I can’t think of a game with more sluggish and frustrating controls. Items are the crutch that holds up the battle system. It doesn’t matter if it’s nearly impossible to play the game without taking damage due to the terrible attacks and enemy design since you can get through any fight with 99 potions. KH and LR limit how many you can take into battle and in FF7R you need an ATB bar and someone alive to use it.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Simone Magus posted:

:confused: I pretty much never had to use items in FF15

If your AI teammates decide to stick together, you can pretty much heal each other for free. You also have regenerating health. I got through most of a level 1 playthrough without items, but it definitely didn’t make it more fun.

It’s the FF8 problem of designing a game with all these different systems and just assuming they will work together. When it doesn’t, just make the game easy so players can still beat it.

As much as I wanted a hard mode, Crisis Core showed me how bad it could be when the game isn’t designed for it. Crisis Core has unskippable cutscenes, bosses with unavoidable attacks, special attacks given out by a roulette and it kicks you back to the title screen when you die. All of these apply to FFX, but are terrible in an action RPG. They made Normal mode easy enough that you won’t die and experience these problems.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Motto posted:

FF13 was actually infamous for having bosses that just used a timed Doom spell if you were too bad at the combat to kill them fast enough.

It’s definitely an attempt to stop people from playing the game wrong, but the game doesn’t do enough to teach you how to play correctly. Keeping the free ATB refresh a secret doesn’t help players who just sit in COM-RAV-MED the entire battle.

I’ve tried to get through FFXIV 2.0, but there’s so much else I could do with that time. I’ve forgotten everything that’s happened apart from having to get a bunch of ingredients for a banquet before I could fight Ifrit for some reason.

I get why the start is bad though. The first part of the story no longer exists outside of YouTube and everything up to heavensward was made as quickly as possible.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

First Soldier: Don't care, seems like a lazy asset flip but at least the director sounds like he actually likes the genre.

Ever Crisis: I was expecting something like this after FFXV Pocket Edition and the 3DS version of DQXI. The battle system looks good and I like the character portraits and 3D models, but the pre-rendered backgrounds are pretty bland. Nowhere near as detailed as the actual FFVIIR environments, which they clearly should have been using, and the camera angles they chose aren't anywhere close to as good at showing off the environment as the original. The gatcha system also stops it from being just a faithful FFVII remake with updated graphics. If the game is balanced so you can make it through with regular weapons, and you just need to gamble for dumb fanservice weapons like Squall's gunblade, then I'll probably enjoy this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=629j_vbJfEo

Remake Part 2: Even though Nomura has directed some of my favourite action RPGs, I'm excited to see what other people can bring to the series. I was actually going to suggest Naoki Hamaguchi because he's probably what made Lightning Returns such an interesting and fun game to play, and brought a lot of what worked in that game to FFVIIR Part 1, but it turns out he's already been chosen for the next game.

I know this would be deeply unpopular, but I'd love the whole Meteor event to be handled exactly like Lightning Returns :wink: Gotta help the people of Gaia, where the happiness you bring them powers up the lifestream and holy materia to keep the meteor from hitting the planet just a little longer.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

We could call it Final Fantasy: Meteor Midnight (MM), and Meteor should get closer and closer and it should have a big angry face on it while the remaining days tick down.

It’s actually Sephiroph’s face, as part of the Sephiroph Everywhere feature

I hope they actually do this for Roche, except he shows up in all of the minigames. He bursts onto the track when you’re chocobo racing, when you’re snowboarding, and he almost drowns trying to stop you jumping off the dolphin so you have to resuscitate him

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Just Andi Now posted:

Yeah. Hard mode felt like how the game was supposed to be played, and normal mode was just letting you familiarize yourself with the mechanics. It even pretty much maxes out your materia and levels for you!

This is why I disagree with Tim Rogers saying “Hard mode is great. This should have been the only difficulty“. If you didn’t know when each chapter ends and you get your MP back, you’d just be hoarding it.

It’s so much fun to play through the game again without having to keep swapping around your materia and weapons to level them up. It’s good that you’re encouraged to do that on your first playthrough because it gives you an incentive to experiment with all of them.

I also love how low the level cap is too. It means you can’t just grind until nothing in the game can touch you. You’re also not going to make the game too easy by accident just because you went out of your way to do sidequests.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Et tu, Billy Bob

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Hey, if they'd had a good tutorial instead of copying a page out of Platinum and DMC's books it wouldn't be a problem. I don't think anywhere in the game actually tells you that blocking restores ATB and dodging doesn't have invincibility frames.

Nomura knew that Chip Cheezum would LP it and explain the mechanics better than any tutorial could (by showing the coolest way to win each fight)

This is the same problem Demon's Souls had when it came out. Word of mouth got around and people knew what to expect from a Souls game. Hopefully this won't be as much of an issue when the later parts of FFVIIR come out.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

The episode featuring Yuffie is $20 though regardless, correct? Both coming June 10th?

I'm just about done with the campaign I believe. Gonna be great to play through it all again PS5 enhanced

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/02/25/final-fantasy-vii-remake-intergrade-arrives-on-ps5-june-10-2021/

I think so, if you already bought FFVIIR physically or digitally on PS4 you’ll get the PS5 upgrade for free, but you’ll need to buy the Yuffie DLC. If you got it through PS+ you’ll have to pay a bit for the PS5 upgrade.

I wonder if there will be a physical PS5 version. Just curious if they’re able to use UHD Blu-ray Discs for games.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The use of blood in this series has always been a bit inconsistent. For instance, THAT scene in FFVII doesn’t have any blood at all.

I don’t think there was much blood in Advent Children, but in Complete you sure see a lot of Cloud’s in the Sephiroph fight. That shot that follows the masume as it goes through Cloud’s foot always makes me wince.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Oh great, so the real bad guy is going to end up being Weiss/Genesis/Minerva.

Actually it's Hojo, always has been.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

4K remaster of Advent Children is up for pre-order on Bezos trash store:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B091NQGL8X

Pre-emptive dilly dally shilly shally

I'm not going to buy it again, but I wonder if it actually is native 4K. They didn't re-render the whole of Advent Children when they released it on Blu-ray, just the new scenes, so you can tell what was from the original version just by the aliased hair.

There's not much reason to go back to this when its main appeal was showing us what FFVII could look like with realistic graphics, which the remake does a far better job at. I'm sure there's some details a pre-rendered video can do better than a game, like water effects with fluid dynamics, but the remake has a much more vibrant colour palette, much better voice acting and lip-sync (for the English dub at least) and is just more faithful to the world and characters.

I still love the original game and how it looks. My favourite way to play is the PS1 versions in an emulator with downsampling, so you don't get razor-sharp 3D models on a chunky pre-rendered background. When I saw Advent Children it seemed impossible that they could remake the entire game like this when it took years to make a 100 minute film. I guess it still is, but being split into multiple games is a much better compromise than having to take a hatchet to it.

Besides, if they did try to remake it in one game, it would be 90% Midgar, 10% fighting Jenova and Sephiroph, which is exactly what we got, except we still have several more games to explore the rest of the world and make the combat system even better.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

lol remember when they released this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWEY1ZEf5S8

FINAL FANTASY VII RETURNS
ON PS4

SPRING 2015

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

A few days ago in the FF thread we were talking about Nojima's strengths and weaknesses as a writer and somebody said it was his love of obscure terms and stuff that marked him as a not great writer. But his Proper Nouns in FFVII, VIII and X are all pretty simple: SOLDIERS, Machina, SeeD at Garden... This is nothing compared to XIII which he did not write.

I think anyone who's played even a few hours of FFX will have a pretty good understanding of how the world works and the terms they use, just because it's introduced so well to Tidus and the player.

They'll know that the enemies you fight are called fiends, and that they're created from pyreflies if someone dies and there isn't a summoner to send them. There's a lot of things you might not understand on your first playthrough like what exactly the Fayth are or how dream Zanakand works but you won't be completely lost like in FFXIII.

I think Nojima's strength is in the overall message of the story. FFVII resonated with people because it starts off with a more relatable story of how everyone's lives have been ruined by this all-encompassing company with control over the largest power plants, the largest city and the largest army in the world. FFX is about how organised religion keeps the population in a never-ending dark age where technology is forbidden (except by the people in charge of Yevon).

I just prefer those over yet another story about how someone is messing with the 4 crystals that control the elements.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Every dead Final Fantasy character comes out of the LifeStream for a huge suplex and drag Sephiroth back down with them.

My prediction for the end of FFVIIR is Sephiroph is too tainted by Jenovah to ever be accepted into the lifestream, so the solution is for the party to find him redemption and purify him of Jenova cells. He dies, but doesn’t get spat out of the lifestream anymore like what happened in AC.

Also, Cloud ends up dying, possibly at the part where he became catatonic in the original or in a confrontation with Sephiroph. The other timeline where Zack survives mixes with the current one so him and Cloud get involved. Cloud gets his memories back (from the Cloud that died) through the lifestream with Tifa’s help. In the end, Aerith survives but since Zack has to return to his timeline she decides to join him.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Moola posted:

the english VA isnt cheesey and bad though

you're describing Stranger of Paradise or Revengeance (both awesome games I love)

How is the VA in Revengance cheesy or bad? It matches the story, tone and cutscene direction perfectly.

I feel almost the same way about FFVIIR, but with so many minor NPCs there’s always going to be a few that could have been done better.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

HD DAD posted:

My only quibble with 7R is that some of the NPCs look like they came from a free stock model library. Next to the highly stylized main cast, they definitely stand out.

SE need an AI-powered NPC generator trained on Nomura’s art style. Just a whole city filled with gravity-defying hair, asymmetrical clothing and some guy with a jockstrap on his face.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Marx Headroom posted:

thats too bad bc I can't deal with the english VA "Hnnh!" "Hpmh!" "Huh??" they play every time it cuts to someone's face

I thought the grunting and exhaling would seem normal to RPG fans.

It doesn’t bother me, but hearing people chew with their mouth open or smack their lips drives me crazy. Tim Rogers mentioned having a similar problem, misophonia I think

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Gologle posted:

If my suspicions are correct and this new timeline is them trying to get the golden ending for everyone where everybody gets a happy ending, they need to cover A LOT of ground in these next two games. Think about it. They need to completely rid the planet of Sephiroth and Jenova so Geostigma doesn't happen so Advent Children and the three Sephiroth clones don't happen. Since Sephiroth is Jenova, he can't return to the Lifestream and in the original timeline just exists forever as a tortured disembodied spirit, and I don't think he really deserves that fate because him being an abomination of nature and going crazy isn't entirely his fault, it's Shinra's (and specifically Hojo). Deepground needs to be taken care of so Dirge of Cerberus doesn't happen. In addition to that, they also need to make sure Hojo doesn't upload his mind to the Internet. Genesis is still kicking around from Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus' secret ending, although after the ending of Crisis Core he may or may not be evil anymore??? They need to get Lucrecia out of her gamer cave and tell Vincent he really needs to get over getting cucked, and also free Vincent from CHAOS so he doesn't lose control if something happens to the Protomateria and awaken as CHAOS anytime soon? And while the audience probably doesn't consider this next point a big deal, they also need to prevent the destruction of Midgar as a result of Meteor and Holy clashing above it, because even though Midgar sucked for anybody who wasn't bourgeoise, it was still home to hundreds of thousands of people. They also need to handle the rehabilitation of Shinra and Rufus, although that already happened in the Compilation, but if Midgar isn't destroyed would Rufus have his redemption?

Yeah, this is similar to my prediction from earlier. There will still have to be some sacrifices but it will end up better for everyone, including Sephiroph, by allowing him to purge himself of Jenova, kill Hojo and then die and permanently return to the lifestream.

There needs to be some major unexpected disaster for the main characters though. Aerith understood that altering the timeline from its destiny risks an even worse outcome, so look forward to the reactions to the end of Rebirth.

Also they’ll ensure that the sequels or even another time loop can’t happen.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Posters ITT pleasure their partners badly on purpose so they don’t make any sounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It's also something that happens in God of War Ragnarok too so it may be literally Sony going "Fuckers, nobody ever have even the briefest moment of being stuck on a puzzle." I guess we'll see if it happens in Spider-Man too.

It's still better than how Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword handle it by forcing you to stop and read a text box explaining the puzzle.

I'm also glad that developers are no longer just using Skyrim as their inspiration. We really don't need miles of nothingness to run through or for them to get the idea that its combat, writing, animations, UI, dungeon design or levelling system are good just because they were part of a popular game. Especially since the modding scene partly exists just to make these tolerable.