Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Gologle posted:

Honestly, being completely serious, if they are actually able to preserve the atmosphere and feeling of that time spent finding and piecing together Cloud's fractured psyche it will be unironically one of the best points in modern video games if they ever even make it to that game.

Who are you and what did you do to Gologle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Do it again

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

One thing I liked a lot was that Cloud was explicitly hired to do all the fighting for them, as they admit it's not their speciality. And he's really good at it! His "That's my line," quip was good.

Game good.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

TommyGun85 posted:

I have not once in the previous 20 years heard anyone speculate that Avalanche didnt cause the big explosion using Jessie's comments as evidence. Its only now with this game's revelation that people are saying it was there and subtle all along. I call bullshit.

Her comments and everything else after in the original imply she screwed up the bomb and it was larger than intended. Nowhere is there even a hint that Shinra did it.

Also she's really enthusiastic and wants the next bomb to be even bigger.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

My hope is they finish part 2 at the bottom of the Northern Crater, with Sephiroth summoning Meteor. I don't like the idea of Aerith's Big Moment (thinking of the existence of the name Lilith made me suddenly okay with her name). You need time at the moment to live with the feelings of that - the twist down in the crater is much better to end in, and gives a way more natural start point for the final part of Yoga waking up in Junon. I think three games makes sense.

But hey, the Hobbit as two movies might have been good but here we are.

Edit: they didn't push it out for a month to finish it, they did it for financial reporting reasons.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

ItBreathes posted:

Has any game successfully done a 'transer save between games' excepting like the old, old RPGs that were designed around the idea?

Mass Effect did a pretty good job of it, I thought.

Edit: too slow

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Wow people are really mad about this ending online. Amazing.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, this is why that flashback from pretty early in the remake (not sure what chapter) where young Tifa is all, "Cloud! Hey Cloud.... are you ignoring me? :mad:" seemed kinda out of place, since Tifa was pretty indifferent to Cloud and didn't hang out with him when they were kids. It felt like an unusually out-of-character moment for the Remake, which is otherwise pretty spot-on with the characters.

I don't think that's accurate, until she falls drain the bridge anyway. The impression I got was that Cloud wasn't popular but him and Tifa cared for each other - that's why he went after her when she was looking for her mom.

After she falls, her dad blamed Cloud and then he stays away until he decides to leave. She came (probably) because she remembered him trying to save her when the bridge broke and none of her other friends were there to help.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The game seems to crib A LOT from Advent Children.

(All game spoilers including ending)

- The entire Sephiroth fight at the end on the ruins of Midgar had the same look as AC what with Sephiroth throwing buildings at you and everything breaking around you

Anyways, not a complain per se but some of those were very noticeable while playing.

This one was especially obvious but what was interesting was the way they undermined AC, starting with Aerith showing up to destroy the building Sephiroth was about to launch at Cloud. Actually her line there in response to Cloud calling him tough was one of my favourite loves in the game, just like "Screw him!" was perfect.

I've been thinking about the dementors and I think people who call them the players who want the same game are wrong - they're whispers and memories, and the game being made under the weight of those memories wasn't one they could make. I don't know where they'll go, but I think it will be interesting. My guess is the next game will be more like a "normal" game, without those fated ones hanging around, but rather with you and the characters uncertain about what might happen. Big plot beats will probably still be the same but who knows what they can change?

Sephiroth is the big enigma for me this time around. I think we're seeing there are two versions of him again - the one we see for most of the game and that we fight with the whispers which is a product of Jenova cells trying to gently caress with Cloud and with their plan and the one we meet at the edge of creation who is more looking the real deal and has a different feel to him. What does he want and will he be evil, or more like Sephiroth pre-Nibelheim? I kind of hope he is because that would make me interested. If he's like the one we saw at the start, talking about killing Cloud's mom in such a stupid way I'll be very disappointed.

The only change I'm actually disappointed in is not following a trail of blood up to a dead Shin-Ra. That was one of the most atmospheric scenes I can remember - gently caress, just have Jenova show up there for a fight anyway after we find him.

Otherwise, the game is amazing and full of love for the original. The few things I worried about all paid off well. And having seen Aerith at the end I'm happy they even got her characterisation pretty much bang on.

So uh.

Any info on part two?

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

DeathChicken posted:

Up to Chapter 17, and good to see Hojo is still 100% WILL IT BREED

Hojo was the good change to that chapter, that but with him keeping Ifalna was perfect.

Gimme my trail of blood though!

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

NikkolasKing posted:

It's unmistakably the darkest FF game in terms of tone. It's sort of like FFIX where the aesthetic makes thinks look more cheery than they actually are. Just because it doesn't have that everything is collapsing cyberpunk look doesn't mean Spira isn't so much more hosed and gloomy than FFVII Planet is.

Sorrow and death is woven into the very atmosphere of the game in a way not seen in any other FF, even FFVI's World of Ruin.

I think Tidus and his relationship with his father is probably the most realistic characterization ever seen in the series. This line has always stuck with me ever since I was a kid: "Even ten years after he left… just thinking about my old man got me angry. But maybe that was just my way of keeping him… Nah."

FF7's world is hosed in a way that is much more insidious and depressing than the giant death whale, though it does eventually get symbolised by the giant meteor filling the sky. It's not because of war creating evils we bring home with us, although it did. It's not because of the monsters, originally from Jenova and amplified by the work of one Hojo, that terrorise the people and make the world more hostile. It's not even because of the machines that make our lives easier are also the machines that are killing us, although they are.

It's because the destruction of sector 7 isn't about ending lives or instilling fear. It's about increasing the price of Mako. Numbers on a spreadsheet that calculated it was a worthwhile show of power.

Nothing about the ordinary people's lives is about the epic struggle against death and destiny, or even about selling distraction from it. They all know it's there, even before the sky turns red. They know what mako does but they shrug and turn away.

I know America looks like a death cult protesting the people trying to keep them safe but most countries haven't gone that crazy. Almost every country is killing the planet. We even have our own Cosmo Canyons, showing how technology could be used harmoniously. In another thing the game nails, they are irrelevant except as curiosities, or ways for capitalists to seek out novel ways to exploit resources. And even there, they have to sell based on their name to survive.

The atmosphere of death that permeates 7 is worse because it's real, before Sephiroth or Meteor.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Jumping back several pages to the ending discussion, my previous thought was that they'd end at the northern Crater because that space to feel bad about not having Aerith is incredibly important to the impact of that moment.

Now I don't have a clue where they're going to stop and that's awesome. The only thing I hope for is that, if there is a death, it is similarly unheroic. No sacrifice, no greater meaning, just a tragedy that we have to suffer through.

Please don't kill Tifa though I would die tia

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Violen posted:

I don't think I've ever experienced stronger sexual tension between any two video game characters than I just did between Rufus and Cloud.

Not at all, you're making me sweat - the line that launched a thousand slash fics.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Man, I feel like the game tells you everything you need to know about why Huge Materia being lost in space is bad. The thing about FF7's plot is that it requires you to pay attention to these things yourself.

But even ignoring that, you launch the rocket, destroy meteor, then what? Then Sephiroth just summons meteor again! You gotta defeat him before taking care of meteor, whatever way you want to do it.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

They're all pretty mediocre; only XII and XV dared to do different. The former is divisive as gently caress, the latter is universally derided

Whatever else is said about XIII, it definitely was different.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Sylphosaurus posted:

So, I completed the game and now I have access to the Hard difficulty and apparently you canīt use items, which seems like a pain in the balls.
''
Are there any must-have materia setups for Cloud if I start a Hard runthrough from the very beginning?

I recommend running Prayer and First Strike on someone. Other than that, elemental makes some fights really easy so keep that around and have fun!

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

RatHat posted:

drat chapter 17 is long. This is the first time I've felt there was a bit too much padding. Good use of all 4 characters though.

Have you considered how good Red's lever pulling animation is, though?

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Strobe posted:

You could have just said there isn't one, since it sure sounds like that in long form.

The explosion definitely killed people, probably tens of people excluding those inside it.

It's the countless thousands that is hyperbolic nonsense.

What's funny is that, in the original, Jessie's response to loving up is to try and cause a bigger explosion the second time. I kind of miss that. Go big or go home, Jessie.

I guess she did go home. And then home came to her!

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

This is a weird post because you grant a premise that isn't true, which is that Aerith is one dimensional (I'd argue the same for all of 7's cast bar Vincent who should go back in his coffin and write his lovely pretty).

She's kind, sure. She's also totally down with teasing Cloud for being a doofus. But when she sees Tifa in danger she browbeats him into letting her help her out. She sees the way to get Cloud in, which is the only way, but she also really enjoys the process of helping him prepare for it. She's streetsmart enough to take advantage of the horndogs outside the Honeybee Inn, while still being nice to the guy leaving town.

And this is all before she leaves Midgar!

After that, I guess it depends on if you keep her in your party or not. If you ignore her and don't talk to her at all in Junon or Costa del Sol or any of the other scenarios, sure, I guess you could pretend like the has no personality to excuse your lack of curiosity.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Expectations: explode the...mayorgame?

Reality: game is the best!

Zarin posted:

I could probably get past dodging not having iframes, if casting spells had them.

Nothing is more terrible than queuing up an -aga from a relatively safe location, only to have the battlefield shift and the caster to take a knockback hit that interrupts that cast, even though the ATB and MP get eaten.

There's probably a lot they could do to keep it largely the same, but come up with SOME kind of "protected" action. Hell, the iframe wouldn't necessarily need to be fore the entire cast, but at least the back 60% of it or whatever.

Edit: Actually, gently caress that; dodging already pauses passive ATB gen, so imo it needs SOMETHING (reduced damage, iframes, idk)

But you can dodge attacks this game just requires you to fully dodge them during the window to do so. The system definitely needs refinement in how it does some things (let me bulk transfer materia between characters dammit!!) but that risk/reward between atb generation and use vs damage or being stunned out of it is the fundamental experience they were going for and it's really fun to play and master.

Bigger fonts for tutorials would be good, though.

Cavelcade fucked around with this message at 10:40 on May 6, 2020

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Zarin posted:

Eh, I'd argue that the mid-game (Hell House through Train Graveyard and maybe a bit beyond) felt like garbage on the first playthrough. I can't tell if the end of Normal and the first few chapters of Hard felt better because I actually got better at the game, or what. We'll see when I get back to that area on Hard, I suppose.

In the meantime, I do think that the combat is MOSTLY good, but I'll die on the hill that it needs *something* - either to be more responsive, spells to all be capped on casting time at the base level, iframes on the back half of casting, iframes on dodging, spells and abilities only consuming the resource upon successful completion - pick any one of those and it'd probably be enough to make it feel like you don't constantly get stuck in a situation where you made a good decision at the time, but things changed and you can't shift out of it before getting punished.

By "to be more responsive", I mean that it's easy to get stuck in attack sequences that you can't shift out of to block, so even though you press and hold R1 because you see something coming, you still eat it to the face. In my opinion, that's not okay.

I think it probably just started to click because I started digging the combat before Airbuster and only felt annoyed at those loving-helicopter-mother-loving-God-Forsaken-troopers.

I think the balance around long casting times is pretty good, it makes deciding what to cast a meaningful choice with multiple factors to consider - do I save my mp, do I need to get this cure off immediately, am I drawing aggro that'll knock me out of casting if I do that now? All of these are good questions to pose to the player.

For the attack combos, it is strange how far they'll queue up commands in advance. On the other hand, Cloud and Tifa, the characters most likely to be up close and personal, have abilities to cancel into a block (Cloud's counter stance) or dodge (Tifa's focused strike). Strong agree the system can be refined but I really like that it's laying down, I just think it needs to be better about making the natural easy the player engages with it be the way that's most fun to play.

And dual atb actions, I want to see Tifa launched off Cloud's sword at an appreciable fraction of the speed of light.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Blizzard spells I didn't mind because at least they'd normal bonk them with the ice crystal first. Strong, strong agree on aero being a worthless trap to actually cast, though.

Agreed as well that some things could do with streamlining. Although counterstance coming so late probably is to encourage engaging with the system as is. Like I said, the gameplay needs refinement to get players to better engage with what the system actually is - which is one where pressing square more than you needed to will lock you into that attack unless you cancel out with an ability.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yoshitaka Amano did artwork for FFVII and all of it is stunning

Omg I want these as prints!

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Moola posted:

Yup even if they hard reverse his abusive toxic personality, which of course they should, that just leaves a boring rear end character

I legitimately forget he exists a lot of the time

I feel like this ignores his entire character arc through the game. He starts as an ego centric bully with no sense of his place in, or responsibility to the world. He self actualises during his trip to space, shedding the unhealthy obsession with his past and seeing himself in something greater than himself. He inspires and teaches the pilot of the Highwind to master level.

Like, yeah, he's broken at the start. All the characters are, that's kind of the point.

Cavelcade fucked around with this message at 10:22 on May 20, 2020

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Mattavist posted:

And interspersed during all of this is characters doing those weird little reaction grunts. Why do they do this? Is it a Japanese thing?

If you hated this, the Japanese language option does so much less than the English language one. Although, tbh, I didn't notice it that much in English. It seemed to happen at fairly natural points where there wasn't anything verbal to say.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

ImpAtom posted:

They'll reference Deepground when you prevent DoC from happening by super-killing Hojo during his boss fight.

:five::five::five::five::five:

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

The game with the loop that is challenging at all levels is Dark Souls, but only DS1 for me. Once you get into the gameplay, it's fairly clear what you're supposed to be doing. However, it only works because of the experience loop - if you're bad, you die, get your xp and level up. If you're good, you're going to be at a lower level with fewer options, but that's part of the fun.

BB, DS3 and Sekiro especially require more from the player (and give more reward for some people), and I have seen people who best DS not be able to keep up with those demands.

However, that gameplay loop works for Dark Souls and within the story. What I think works here is that the intended game experience isn't actually hard mode, it's to play it on another difficulty and then play it on hard mode. It's balanced around that and it works. I think that's something he missed out on because he thinks the gameplay loop should stay the same between runs (at least that's how I'd interpret it) and I just don't agree that that's what the developers intended.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

kaworu posted:

I don't mean to sing the game's praises too effusively, because it does have flaws. Like an earlier poster mentioned, as much fun as it is it does feel almost like a roller-coaster ride - complete with a safety belt strapping you in and being totally unable to leave the cart or veer off the track. It also goes very fast and in one direction only, absolutely no backtracking or revisiting. The metaphor works pretty drat well, to be honest.

It's not a rollercoaster, it's a train you're on and there no getting offa it.

Super No Vacancy posted:

if the tv ads for part 3 arent SAVE AERITH in big bold text they hosed up

Aerith Lives graffitied in every major city in the world.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

SlimGoodbody posted:

I like almost all the new stuff. I hope the future games make huge divergences from the original game cause I already played the original a dozen times and I'm not a brain damaged baby man that needs a pacifier. Chadley is a little pervert sicko and I hate him, though. Hate that little freak. What are you doing in Wall Market you degenerate? I'm on to you.

Getting flustered by lady Cloud, the best character.

Nailed it, I know, moving on.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Bleck posted:

the short of it is that 1) characters have arcs and 2) it's not an artist's job to cater to your expectations

AC is meandering and strange but "it doesn't get the characters" has always been a stupid criticism

Actually it's a good and valid criticism and AC is bad but hella pretty.

WaltherFeng posted:

Imagine that for a good while people were debating what happened at the end of original FFVII.

My god I am old.

People still debate the "intended" meaning of the og. Does humanity survive holy, or does the planet deem us a threat? Do we all die later?

It's great! And now we get to see that cycle happen again.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

BisbyWorl posted:

Eh, I'd say Nibelheim would be a better stopping point.

Open with the flashback sequence, then end with the :wtc: when you get there and everything is just peachy please stop asking questions.

The natural stopping point is probably the northern crater, if they plan for three games. Lowest point of the story emotionally, you get to spend more time with Aerith and then immediately experience the loss of her and have to cope with that during the game.

If you go with, say, Aerith dying, the pacing for next game would be incredibly hosed up and you lose the immediate emotional impact of dealing with her death in game. If you stopped at the Temple of the Ancients you'd have no actual playtime as her before she's dead in the game she dies in.

Of course, this assumes she dies, which is no longer a given! If she lives, after the Temple of the Ancients would be a good, but depressing, stopping point.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Moola posted:

same, but the best way I've found to get over it is saying the AER part with more emphasis and almost whispering the ITH part. This is kind of how the VA do it in english too

Also same until I remembered the name Lilith exists.

And, y'know, Sephiroth.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

WarpedLichen posted:

If your criteria for skill is winning as fast as possible, then yes, you'll go hyper aggressive. I don't think that counters my statement that the easiest way to win is to play defensively. In the same way that a speed run of a game isn't really the same as a no hit run, the criteria for judgement is just different.

And the enemies I listed, only Sahaigan can be punisher countered really? Unless I missed something and you can punisher counter ranged attacks and mines. Counterstance is great and I wish it was built in to the kit at the beginning.

A safe way to win is to do what you suggest, but that doesn't make it right - most of the time you're better off being aggressive to build up atb, switching characters to build up their atbs and keeping an eye on everyone to make sure you can actually do something when you need to.

This isn't like shields in Dark Souls where the gameplay systems encouraged a less fun way to interact with the game, you have to work against the gameplay to play like that. Blocking is included as a meaningful action for certain attacks but there are so many ways the game encourages you to only use it for that it's clearly not the intended way to experience the game.

Which is fine and indicates the combat system didn't do a good job of training you to engage in the intended way. But that is more a criticism of the meta combat system.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

anakha posted:

So is the Sephiroth of FFVII proper still driven by the same things as in AC and in Remake? The character's motivations appear different after FFVII itself completed.

Is he still basically Jenova's creature or has he become more his own man at that point?

My read of the story is that Sephiroth is very much his own man and that man is broken. That is why he tries so hard to break Cloud in a more intense way. Jenova wouldn't care which part of her extended cell family got the black materia, or handed it over or any of the other ways Sephiroth goes out of his way to gently caress with our boy.

However, then you get to the Northern Crater and he's completely trapped there, missing his legs and unable to act except through others. Hence his desire to regain his autonomy and power by absorbing them all and moving beyond his mortal shell.

This also ties into the anti corporatist themes of the game where Sephiroth, as the personification of a purely self interested agent, will absorb all possible resources with no regard for the consequences to the individuals it is made up of.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Jetrauben posted:

That will be very interesting. Corel always felt oddly underbaked and there's potential there for a lot with the juxtaposition of the Gold Saucer as this tourist trap looming over the ruins of a ruined and impoverished mining town. And Barret already has a lot more nuanced presence than he did in the original. Looking forward to it!

Oh, one other thing:

Aerith in the Remake explicitly likes Midgar. She sees the plate and that whole massive megaconstruction as symbolic of peoples' hopes and dreams, and finds the prospect of living in the world at large outside of it frightening.

In the original, just before you go to the Northern Crater, the game explicitly has a beat where they tell everyone to leave and only come back once they know why they're fighting. Everyone comes back because they have people they believe are worth fighting for.

The question the original 7 poses, pretty explicitly, is whether we as individuals can overcome the corrosive systems we have developed which would require a fundamental change and risk. The reason the ending is ambiguous about whether or not they succeed is because they want us to consider that, in order to avoid that fate, we have to take action in the real world too. The question of whether we can or not has yet to be answered!

Cavelcade fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Dec 22, 2020

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

hahaha i did the exact same thing :negative:

i'm a little late, but it was pretty well implied in the original that shinra did that - jessie is confused by her bomb being more powerful than expected, and they ambush you at the next one so they were pretty clearly capitalising on the opportunity

Jessie blames herself for following the instructions incorrectly and ShinRa clearly expects her bomb to blow up the reactor where they ambush you, I don't think the original game supports that hypothesis. It's only by protecting backwards from the remake that you can really draw that conclusion, I think.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Jackie D posted:

I think she's saying she's confused because she *did* follow the directions correctly, she screwed up the ID cards. There's never anything else saying the explosion was shinra sabotage but it's not much of a reach imo

Ah you're right, she is surprised and puts it down to something unknown but promises the next one will be even bigger. I still think it's a reach on its own to go to shinra did it, as is have expected a comment at rector 5 of they had.

Ultimately, I think it makes the game's story one I'm less interested by and don't see a strong thematic reason for it, so I don't see a reason to make it. I also think that it applies to the remake but maybe future parts will change that.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Bleck posted:

If I recall correctly, the scene of Jessie's bomb exploding is a shot of their bomb doing some internal damage to the reactor, and then other bombs, lining the walls, that you explicitly didn't place, exploding.

Given that Shinra later drops the plate, I don't think it's a stretch to say they're kinda in on it.

The original just shows the reactor exploding from the outside, with no elaboration on the cause.

That said, ShinRa allowing it to happen is totally believable. They were going to let it happen with reactor 5.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

RareAcumen posted:

I'm seein' double, 12 Sephiroths!

Omnislash but it's just Cloud wielding Sephiroth after Sephiroth to wail on another Sephiroth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

NikkolasKing posted:

Gotta say, Cloud doesn't sound at all in this scene like how I imagine it. This is Cloud returned home after his failure to get into Shinra, where he is so ashamed he can't even show his face to Tifa. In the remake, he just sounds kinda bored, as opposed to listless and depressed.

He didn't get into SOLDIER, but he still has a job and friends. He's ashamed and hiding from the town so he's morose and mopey but depression won't hit until his 30s and he's realised he has no distraction from the void. Luckily he fast forwards that process through severe trauma.