Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mostly just to throw it in the thread it almost certainly won't win but I like throwing some B-league and WMMA highlights in so people see stuff that's going on...

Submission of the Year Invicta 42 Alisha Zapitella sub Ashley Cummins (Von Flue Choke)

Bonus: Cummins was wearing a thin blue line rashguard so this makes it that much better.

https://twitter.com/mma21plus/status/1306802220210495490

edit: it's a lovely gif. She did a good job of snapping it on tight and quickly when the opportunity came, used good technique, and she knew that she had it so she didn't let go.

e2:

https://twitter.com/UFCFightPass/status/1306801174604066817

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Big Dan Award Nominee

Chris Tognoni, Jessica Rose Clark vs. Sarah Alpar, UFC on ESPN+, 9/19

Absolute shitshow. Clark lands a knee which looked like it could’ve been illegal. Tognoni stops because he thinks it’s illegal. He sees that it was legal, then restarts the fight anyway. Then he lets Alpar get her rear end beat even more for way too long.

A disaster in every way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Knockout of the Year: Khamzat Chimaev vs. Gerald Meerschaert - UFC on ESPN+ 36 9/19

You should watch this without knowing when it happens or to whom.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 20, 2020

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Card of the year (so far)
Woodley vs Coby

KO of the year
Chimaev v Meerschaert

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Worst Fight of the Year: Colby Covington vs. Tyron Woodley - UFC on ESPN+ 36 9/19

This loving sucked so much, especially considering it was the main event of a really good card.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

round of the year
UFC 253 Kai Kara-France vs Brandon Royval Round 1 (includes 3 knockdowns and a gogoplata attempt with a whole bunch of other poo poo.

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

Performance of the Year: Israel Adesanya vs Paulo Costa, UFC 253

About as close to a perfect performance as you can have

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
The Kimbo vs DADA 5000 Memorial Award for Comedy in MMA: UFC 253, 26th September 2020, Diego Sanchez vs. Jake Matthews.

"Hey mom can we have Jorge Masvidal"

"no we have Jorge Masvidal at home"

Jorge Masvidal at home:

https://i.imgur.com/9qmrxxP.mp4

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God that's so beautiful and sad :allears:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
The Touch Butt In the Park Award for Best Insult/Trash Talk Line: UFC 253, 26th September 2020, Israel Adesanya vs Paulo Costa.

https://i.imgur.com/FxScVWZ.mp4

"I'll wrap my dick around my waist for a black belt"

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.
2020's Fights Where We, The Viewer are the Winner (Honorable Mention Fights of the Year)
Kai Kara-France vs Brandon Royval
Short and sweet. Kara-France was hitting Brandon extremely hard while Royval was just doing whatever he wanted. Also a bunch of hilarious punches and submission attempts. It's good and funny. Unfortunately it ended a little quickly.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Knockout of the year right here

https://twitter.com/streetfitebncho/status/1315045656671776768

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Knockout of the Year: Impa Kasanganay vs Joaquin Buckley - UFC on ESPN+ 37 10/10

One of the craziest loving KOs I have ever seen.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 11, 2020

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Jerusalem posted:

Knockout of the Year: Impa Kasanganay vs Joaquin Buckley - UFC on ESPN+ 37 10/10

One of the craziest loving KOs I have ever seen.

Pack it up this is the winner thanks everyone else for coming

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Yeah, unless someone scores a rolling thunder knockout or something before the year's out that's the winner and it's not even close.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

Lid posted:

Pack it up this is the winner thanks everyone else for coming

What this guy said, also honorable mention for the guy with the jab-ko on the same card, also fight island Sandhagan vs Morales card of the year.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah absolutely a card of the year contender for me. Sweet fights, the actual Knockout Of The Year, some other knockouts that were just "really good" and even some good heavyweights.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Macksy posted:

also fight island Sandhagan vs Morales card of the year.

Hell yeah, just amazing finish after amazing finish. Great card.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

drat, only lasted 1 hour (on the dot) before being indisputably dethroned.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Haha, didn't notice it was exactly an hour between those posts :allears:

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Rename the Knockout of the Year Award the Joaquin Buckley Award

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Holy gently caress that is amazing. Everything about it. The way he falls over. Jesus

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I still think I like the khalidov one better. It's a deliberate and technical offensive combo whereas the other one is like "let's try something crazy" and it worked.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

dang. I remember Khalidov from years ago, on the KSW card where James Thompson fought. Good to see he's still around.

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

I hope you get crushed to death by a fat guy trying to commit suicide by falling out of a window and when the paramedics answer the local bystander asking if you'll live, he just says "fat chance" and laughs.
I want to nominate Khabib's triangle over Gaethje as submission of the year. For me it probably doesn't beat the big fig's RNC over Benavidez or Hermansson's ankle lock but it was still loving cool and deserves at least a mention.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Submission of the year: AJ McKee def Darrion Caldwell (neck crank), Bellator 253

https://twitter.com/CBSSportsNet/status/1329604423555969025

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LobsterMobster posted:

Submission of the year: AJ McKee def Darrion Caldwell (neck crank), Bellator 253

https://twitter.com/CBSSportsNet/status/1329604423555969025

beat me to it. 100% neck crank from closed guard? The gently caress

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
LFA 95

Alex Pereira kills a man.
https://streamable.com/0a6uh9

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Fight of the year candidate: https://twitter.com/Grabaka_Hitman/status/1332488013557981184?s=20

Flaskraven
Nov 20, 2012

The Kimbo vs DADA 5000 Memorial Award for Comedy in MMA
Matt Wiman vs Jordan Leavitt
One of the weirdest things I've seen. Please look it up, it's short.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Fight of the Year
and/or
2020's Fights Where We, The Viewer are the Winner (Honorable Mention Fights of the Year)

Marvin Vettori vs Jack Hermansson

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Fight of the Year - Deivison Figureido vs Brandon Moreno, UFC 256

Event of the Year - UFC 256

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Submission of the year

Jimmy Flick FLYING TRIANGLE vs Cody Durden, Fight night Thompson vs Neal

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

CommonShore posted:

Submission of the year

Jimmy Flick FLYING TRIANGLE vs Cody Durden, Fight night Thompson vs Neal

Whoa that's a good sub. Transitioned off of a caught high kick. Awesome.

https://twitter.com/UFC_CA/status/1340413219438006279

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Edmund Tarvedyan's Head Movement Award for Best Schadenfreude

G-Hawk posted:

Greg hardy looks so improved, his most complete 5 minutes, amazing improvement. He's really on the up swing

*gets sat on by fat man and turtles*

UFC Fight Night Thompson vs Neal

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

To really bookend 2020, I'm nominating for both Comedy in MMA and Best Schadenfreude:

quote:

On Dec. 21, a former MMA fighter named Tara LaRosa—who has marched with the Proud Boys and the far right around the country, including recently in D.C.—established a transphobic Telegram channel called Proud Girls USA. That same day, the ProudBoysUSA channel snubbed her, declaring that “Proud Girls” was a “ridiculous” idea. “Don’t ride our coattails,” they groused. “Want to support us? Get married, have babies, and take care of your family.”

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Honorable Mention Fight of the Year

Shibatar vs Hiroya, RIZIN 26

Event of the Year

RIZIN 26

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:frogsiren:2020 Best & Worst of MMA Awards Voting:frogsiren:

Don’t forget to do the final round of nominations for the 2020 Awards. Voting starts on January 10, 2021.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 2, 2021

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'll update the rest of my sheet this weekend. Still a few things to add

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Me and a friend watched a bunch of the top ranked fights of the year and loving hell there's been a lot of really, really good fights this year.