Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Let cats murder?
Yes
No
Goku
View Results

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Caesar Saladin posted:

can't believe the lack of respect for the animals that protected our grain stores

Hold the gently caress up. Egypt is one of the most pathetic excuses for a world "power" through all of history. After the iron age, the ONLY marginally relevant thing Egypt ever did was rout a tiny expeditionary Mongol army who disobeyed their commander and waltzed right into a tactical blunder. The bronze age traditions of philosophy, art and culture all dried up long before then and Egypt devolved into a lame paper tiger with a bit of pocket cash. To this day, it's an irrelevant backwater whose only notable facet of existence is as a tourist trap to see the work of the Pharoahs and Nubians whose bones have long turned to dust in their crypts.

Egyptians get the gently caress out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

toggle posted:

an outdoor cat is a wild cat. It should be trapped and taken to the pound, or shot :shrug:

shooting feral cats is illegal though, so probably just take them to the pound

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

What a dumb take. Better never let your kids play outside otherwise you don't care about their health or life as well then going by that logic.

As much as you call your pets your "fur babies" cats aren't human children lmao

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

How dare you come to my door and complain about my kid taking a poo poo on your lawn. Kids will do what comes natural!!!

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Burt Sexual posted:

How’s this thread goin? Lotsa cross over topics in gbs

This is a topic that needed to be let out and wander the GBS neighborhood freely. Keeping it confined in one thread is bad for it's mental health and don't even get me started on the people who think it should wear a leash....

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

UK also doesn't have coyotes. They wander around suburbs all the time looking for a meal, and it's usually an outside cat.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Klyith posted:

the people who aren't in america don't have to worry about their cat getting shot for what should be fairly obvious reasons

Never been to the balkans I see

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Oh yeah thats another thing. Outside cats contract parasites like crazy.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Only hairless great apes are people, and "slave" is a title bestowed upon people. Not any other entity.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Outrail posted:

TIL a chimpanzee is an animal but a shaved chimpanzee in heels and a dress is a slave.

Not a hairless great ape. The difference is epistemological, in much the same way a plucked chicken is not a man.

That being said, there is a greater capacity for a bonobo or chimpanzee to be a slave than a cat or really any other creature. Still doesn't quite hit the threshold, however.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

phasmid posted:

(Also, seriousposting here - why do so many people calling what cats do murder? It makes you sound really overdramatic. You have an animal that is carnivorous and built for stalking prey. Eating a gold finch is not "murder" jfc.)

The distinction between person and non-person has become eroded as the animal species around us have become more and more anthropomorphized.

That being said, it really doesn't matter what's in the nature of an animal. A human male in their 20s is built to be incredibly risky and prone to violence just like all the other apes, but you don't get a free pass to go around and have fights. You can say that the big human brain means we should have a higher standard for ourselves, but this is also a naïve understanding of what that big brain entails. Personhood does not mean being above violence, in either sense. Even society itself does not preclude violence, as it is perfectly fine and possible to fight for fun one night, and in the next morning cooperate with those you have harmed.

If we are to deny ourselves our nature, we must deny other organisms their nature as well. It is the pursuit of a higher plane of existence, beyond measly obsessions of the brainstem.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

It is pretty weird when pet owners get all lovey dovey about their pet killing other animals. It should be understood that is simply how nature is, but getting all cutesy about it is some really bad vibes.

"Oh wittle Hawwington III, did you kill more of the neighborhood bird population? OwO Oopsie woopsies! You must be hungy wungy!! Let me clean you up and give you some tuna fishy wishy you fuzzy siwwy biwwy UwU"

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

It comes across just as sheltered as freaking out about it, but they've taken it to a contrarian extreme and decided that the infantilization of their pet must be expressed in every facet.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Outrail posted:

Freaking out about it isn't sheltered, it's having a very real understanding of cat-astrophic loss of biodiversity and permanent ecosystem damage.

like a lower scale version of saying 'freaking out about climate change is sheltered'.

Yes both of those things are sheltered. Freaking out is never an appropriate reaction. Losing composure is for the youthful and the intoxicated.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

That's not freaking out. Yelling and screaming and running around because your outside cat brought a dead animal in the house is freaking out. You're swinging in a cornfield filled with scarecrows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Yes, let's all maintain our composure as our oceans turn to acid and our air into sulfur. Wouldn't want to lose our cool, the most important consideration!

Unironically:
Yes.