Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Let cats murder?
Yes
No
Goku
View Results

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Toro is cool as hell

Any bird gifted with the mastery of the air, yet falls prey to a land bound creature.... Is a shameful animal. The cats are just making the remaining birds strong, as God intended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Chief McHeath posted:

In college one of my friends had a fat orange cat that wore a bell around her neck and she brought more "presents" to the house than the all black boy cat did. How that fat orange fucker was such a great hunter, we'll never know. Because she was a cat that could not speak english, and is dead now.

Well fed cats are like the ultimate hunters

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

that's ok I aim my car at coyotes when I see them cross the road

I mean I feel like there's a line here because I don't actively aim for cats I just don't care when they die. I mean when I take your murder is good argument at face value, I might as well grab the trusty .410 and just execute them on sight.

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

ur jiri3-pax(PAD)-ra2 al-tukur2?-re
gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2
a-ra-/ab-gig-ga\-[(X)]-e-ce

- Wisdom of the ages.
Please dont wish death on things

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Haha

Wow.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

So what's the other option, forums member Dickthecat?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

people be rambling about bird populations when the truth is they just aren't cat people

cat people are like "I like cats and dogs but prefer cats" and dog people go on weird rambles about cats and its like yeah, okay

can't believe the lack of respect for the animals that protected our grain stores

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Caesar Saladin posted:

people be rambling about bird populations when the truth is they just aren't cat people

cat people are like "I like cats and dogs but prefer cats" and dog people go on weird rambles about cats and its like yeah, okay

I work with lots of cats and usually the anti-outdoor rationale is a pretty signifigantly more verbose list than just "they kill birds."

It's like, generally not great for the cat's well being or your ability to regulate the cat's healthfulness and despite popular belief among cat owners they're actually insanely bad at surviving in the wild as domesticated animals, they also get kidnapped constantly and the amount of people who have to get their cats chipped because poo poo like people "adopting" the cute "stray" that visits their home every so often despite tags is surprisingly high in regularity.

Cats regularly get run over by cars, eaten by wildlife (coyotes, stray dogs, even birds of prey) or do something moronic and get themselves caught in chicken wire or wedged in nooks and crannies. Just think of all the videos you've seen of cats with their heads stuck in poo poo outside.

Generally domesticated animals aren't adequately capable of handling the outside world, I mean gently caress, even wild animals have a hard time surviving in areas with human habitation.

Sure plenty of outdoor cats are fine every day and grow old and happy, but oftentimes they get splattered on the side of the road or get hideous parasites that I then have to extract from their mewling bodies as the owner weeps in fear.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Keeping your cat inside is a weird American thing. It's normal as gently caress to let your cat outside here, as it should be. My cat is dope as gently caress and can do what he wants, including going outside to murder birds.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

Keeping your cat inside is a weird American thing. It's normal as gently caress to let your cat outside here, as it should be. My cat is dope as gently caress and can do what he wants, including going outside to murder birds.

lmao its like talking to anti-vaxers or flat earthers.

If you see a cat outdoors just adopt it, its your new indoor cat.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I work with lots of cats and usually the anti-outdoor rationale is a pretty signifigantly more verbose list than just "they kill birds."

It's like, generally not great for the cat's well being or your ability to regulate the cat's healthfulness and despite popular belief among cat owners they're actually insanely bad at surviving in the wild as domesticated animals, they also get kidnapped constantly and the amount of people who have to get their cats chipped because poo poo like people "adopting" the cute "stray" that visits their home every so often despite tags is surprisingly high in regularity.

Cats regularly get run over by cars, eaten by wildlife (coyotes, stray dogs, even birds of prey) or do something moronic and get themselves caught in chicken wire or wedged in nooks and crannies. Just think of all the videos you've seen of cats with their heads stuck in poo poo outside.

Generally domesticated animals aren't adequately capable of handling the outside world, I mean gently caress, even wild animals have a hard time surviving in areas with human habitation.

Sure plenty of outdoor cats are fine every day and grow old and happy, but oftentimes they get splattered on the side of the road or get hideous parasites that I then have to extract from their mewling bodies as the owner weeps in fear.

I've had indoor cats all my life and have two over ten, I get all of this, I'm just saying the rambling spitting attitude of the anti cat people is hilarious and out of whack with normal behaviour. Like yeah, obviously keep your animals safe and keep an eye on animals when they are outdoors, don't let your dog walk around unrestrained with no supervision either, its obvious to any reasonable pet owner. A guy up there says he shoots cats. What is that? I get that its a weird troll but its a funny attitude to dig your feet in at the concept of cats.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Caesar Saladin posted:

I've had indoor cats all my life and have two over ten, I get all of this, I'm just saying the rambling spitting attitude of the anti cat people is hilarious and out of whack with normal behaviour. Like yeah, obviously keep your animals safe and keep outdoor animals safe, don't let your dog walk around unrestrained with no supervision either, its obvious to any reasonable pet owner. A guy up there says he shoots cats. What is that?

Yeah anti-cat people are weird and anti-dog people are weird and ultimately it boils down to the fact that people project human qualities onto animals and basically treat their pet preferences like game consoles or cars and get insanely defensive about which one they own while claiming that anyone who owns the other must be a moron.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

One thing with the indoor/outdoor cat stuff though is that people like to quote life expectancy figures for purely outdoor cats.

The norm where I live is to have cats who get all of the normal indoor benefits but also have a cat flap and can go outside on their terms? They probably do have a hit to life expectancy due to cars but it is not a significant one and mine are a hell of a lot happier when they can run around on the lawn or lurk atop the neighbor's shed. Here in the UK, at least in most of it, there is literally no wildlife that will prey on an adult cat and in the urban desert of deep suburbia where I live there is not much in the way of a natural environment. They murder the odd shrew and ineffectually stare at squirrels.

Also whilst I like dogs, dogs are like having a kid whilst cats can mostly chill and do their own thing. One of mine does jump onto my shoulder and ride me around as if she is a parrot though.

Patrat fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jan 1, 2020

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

wtf is this dumb poo poo

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

verbal enema posted:

wtf is this dumb poo poo

it's called a comic, people use them to convey ideas of all sorts, usually for comedic effect

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Cats are good and cool, unlike dogs

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
back in my old uni town there was an insanely fat chill cat that approached everyone that passed on the sidewalk, purring for pets. for a while he wore a sign that said 'please dont feed me I'm on a diet'

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Caesar Saladin posted:

I've had indoor cats all my life and have two over ten, I get all of this, I'm just saying the rambling spitting attitude of the anti cat people is hilarious and out of whack with normal behaviour. Like yeah, obviously keep your animals safe and keep an eye on animals when they are outdoors, don't let your dog walk around unrestrained with no supervision either, its obvious to any reasonable pet owner. A guy up there says he shoots cats. What is that? I get that its a weird troll but its a funny attitude to dig your feet in at the concept of cats.

It's because freal cats are partially or fully responsible for the extinction native animals in some parts of the world. Around urban centers a significant proportion of these are domestic escapees (technically they all are). And cat people just handwave it away saying 'cats will be cats lol you mad bro?'. Species are literally extinct because of cats.

Like the other poster said it's like talking to antivaxxers.

That said I like cats but they should be spayed, indoors and wearing bells at the very least.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
If you live in Sydney Australia and let your cat outside there's a good chance it'll get Feline aids.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Or on fire

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I'm referring of course to the hot new sensation engulfing the nation and not some crazed solitary cat arsonist

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

The only time I want to see my cat on fire is when we're playing NBA Jam together

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Chief McHeath posted:

Cats need to be indoors, but there are outside cats so I try to help them. It doesn't get deadly cold here but I built one of those outdoor cat shelters in case some needy neighborhood cat might need it some night. Like this one, but with an added layer of hay/straw between the styrofoam and rubbermaid for insulation:

You also need to keep it off the ground so its just on top of a few two inch branches.

I think if I did that skunks would move in. Or raccoons.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Caesar Saladin posted:

can't believe the lack of respect for the animals that protected our grain stores

Hold the gently caress up. Egypt is one of the most pathetic excuses for a world "power" through all of history. After the iron age, the ONLY marginally relevant thing Egypt ever did was rout a tiny expeditionary Mongol army who disobeyed their commander and waltzed right into a tactical blunder. The bronze age traditions of philosophy, art and culture all dried up long before then and Egypt devolved into a lame paper tiger with a bit of pocket cash. To this day, it's an irrelevant backwater whose only notable facet of existence is as a tourist trap to see the work of the Pharoahs and Nubians whose bones have long turned to dust in their crypts.

Egyptians get the gently caress out.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Outrail posted:

It's because freal cats are partially or fully responsible for the extinction native animals in some parts of the world. Around urban centers a significant proportion of these are domestic escapees (technically they all are). And cat people just handwave it away saying 'cats will be cats lol you mad bro?'. Species are literally extinct because of cats.

Right, but that doesn't exactly apply to places where small cats are a native part of the pre-human ecosystem (which is all of europe). That eliminating all feral cats from new zealand would be positive for the NZ ecology doesn't mean that outdoor cats in the UK are equally bad.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Honky Dong Country posted:

I think cats as pets should be indoor but there is a need for outdoor cats in an agricultural setting.

Cats are a land of contrasts.

you can replace agricultural cats by establishing habitat for predatory birds.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Klyith posted:

Right, but that doesn't exactly apply to places where small cats are a native part of the pre-human ecosystem (which is all of europe). That eliminating all feral cats from new zealand would be positive for the NZ ecology doesn't mean that outdoor cats in the UK are equally bad.

domestic cats have driven most UK wildcat populations to the brink of extinction. the scottish wildcat, which was recently rediscovered, is deffo going to die off in our lifetimes.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

VikingSkull posted:

Some people don't like cats that are outside, because they gently caress up the ecosystem.

I say let them murder.

What say you, GBS?

an outdoor cat is a wild cat. It should be trapped and taken to the pound, or shot :shrug:

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

toggle posted:

an outdoor cat is a wild cat. It should be trapped and taken to the pound, or shot :shrug:

shooting feral cats is illegal though, so probably just take them to the pound

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

domestic cats have driven most UK wildcat populations to the brink of extinction. the scottish wildcat, which was recently rediscovered, is deffo going to die off in our lifetimes.

human development did the vast majority of the work. if there were still such thing as wild areas in the UK then felis silvestris would have advantage over the smaller domestic cat. but there aren't so feral cats that can inhabit both wild and developed land have a huge advantage. natural silvestris wildcats are very human-avoidant.

kill people first, cats second

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

If anyone is butthurt about pet cats ruining their local ecosystem then they should move into the woods and live off the land because the fact that their house/town/city alone exists has done more damage than cats.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Klyith posted:

human development did the vast majority of the work. if there were still such thing as wild areas in the UK then felis silvestris would have advantage over the smaller domestic cat. but there aren't so feral cats that can inhabit both wild and developed land have a huge advantage. natural silvestris wildcats are very human-avoidant.

kill people first, cats second

In Colorado we have a lot of protected lands on the foothill areas, so there’s actually a pretty decent mountain lion population. It’s pretty awesome, though you do have to be hyper aware of your surroundings when your walking around towards the end of the day in some of the open areas. Dude last year had to choke one to death in Fort Collins. It was a real young one, which is sad, but dude would definitely not be alive had it been an adult. Mountain lions are NOT loving around.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
To me it’s more you’re a lovely pet owner because you don’t care about the health or life or your animal

The bird poo poo is just icing on top

Also if you’re a cat owner, yes your place smells like cat piss, no you’re not different, yes I’m telling you it smells you’re just used to it

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Do it ironically posted:

To me it’s more you’re a lovely pet owner because you don’t care about the health or life or your animal

What a dumb take. Better never let your kids play outside otherwise you don't care about their health or life as well then going by that logic.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

What a dumb take. Better never let your kids play outside otherwise you don't care about their health or life as well then going by that logic.

As much as you call your pets your "fur babies" cats aren't human children lmao

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Why are you constantly comparing children to cats? Do you have kids? I can assure you that the experience and responsibility of owning a cat and raising a human are quite different, you’re a weird dude

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Oh I am going on vacation better just leave some food and water out, and make sure the kid door flap is working, can’t wait for this weekend getaway - a person in this thread

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

How dare you come to my door and complain about my kid taking a poo poo on your lawn. Kids will do what comes natural!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Hey does your kid not bring you dead animals? Weird