Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Hey I thought merpeople were from Mars!

No, one of the completely bizarre plot points of this comic is that some alien creature started on Venus, I guess abandoned it when it became uninhabitable(?), stopped by on Earth (and apparently hosed some humans to make mermaids(?)), and then traveled to Mars to start a new civilization. Which was prompted wiped out when Mars became sentient and deliberately killed them all with their own machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Just in case you didn't think the comic commenters were horrible people, a bunch of them looked at that Saturday strip of Retail and declared Marla an idiot, because now all her employees will quit or start stealing poo poo.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I'm kind of losing my poo poo at Holbrook knowing about and making a furry comic version of that one cat-at-a-table meme.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

hell yes retail, gently caress the arbitrary 2 week notice thing that only benefits the corporation and not you

My first time telling my boss that he was not going to get what he wanted was when I was working fast food and gave my two weeks notice, and he told me that was unacceptable, that he was too busy to find a replacement now, and I needed to work at least five weeks while he found someone. (I'll remind you that this was fast food)

He didn't appreciate that I'd already made plans and wasn't going to be in town in 2.5 weeks.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

fondue posted:

That was abrupt. I was hoping to find out what happens with Lunker.

I like to imagine he's just there in the back room when the Dollar Admiral opens and they reluctantly hire him because it's easier than turning him away.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Mooninmama is completely unflappable, and it's great.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

paging Red and Rover

There's an old ad campaign Victrola company logo called "His Master's Voice", where a dog is cocking his ear at a gramaphone like that, indicating that the sound quality is so clear that the dog can't tell the different between the real person and the recording.

This is like that, but with a bug, because Larson likes bugs.

edit: From a 15 year old comic discussion forum:

quote:

But in one of the introductions to one of the years he mentions it saying that what he had heard was that the mantis was the only insect that could cock its head like a dog

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 10, 2020

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

howe_sam posted:

The infield fly rule isn't nearly as arcane and obscure as its reputation would have you believe.

I just looked it up, and it seems pretty straight-forward. It's essentially to prevent runner traffic-jams, right?

Scenario: Bases are loaded, a flyball to the infield is hit. Without the infield-fly rule, the basement could intentionally choose to not catch the ball, immediately scoop it up, and then they could get multiple runners out, because the runners on 1st, 2nd, and 3rd are forced to move by the newly-running batter. Right?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

This is one of those ones that I didn't get as a kid, and find much funnier now.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 25, 2022

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Wally is the one that ends up with PTSD and a dog, right?

It kills me that Funky isn't running the pizza place for any good reason like he's related to the owner. It was just a place that they hung out at a lot when this comic was about them being teens, so someone had to keep it running so it could stay relevant after the timeskip.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell This is going to get stupid.

So... time to guess how this storyline will play out? Obviously she's on the run from racists or something, but I'm going to with the obvious cliche and say that he and she are traditionally antagonistic species who will fall in love with each other, because they can't tell the species behind the mask.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Good Listener posted:

Man with Safe Havens or whichever comic it is, it's like they sent along maybe 2 qualified people and the rest are literally just her friends who didn't have anything else to do. I mean I knew that already but it's like..your job is to...be the agent for everyone's deals you presume they're going to get? That's presumptuous and asinine. Why did you bring along the mermaid and the trapeze guy again?

DNA-wizard was in charge of writing the job requirements for the ship's crew, and deliberately wrote them to best fit her friend group because she didn't want to be apart from them for the years the trip would take. The mermaid is in charge of maintaining the algae farm that is used to make all their food. I don't remember what the trapeze guy's job is.

...I just remembered that 'the guy who wears a smartphone costume everywhere' is their main computer and has been on this entire trip, and I don't think we've seen him in months and months.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Professor Wayne posted:

Suddenly, two bystanders stuck their heads inside the frame and ruined one of the funniest cartoons ever.

Am I remembering correctly? I believe Larson wrote in one of his books that he drew his brothers for this comic.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 25, 2022

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell

Okay, who wants to guess? Will she:
- Disappear off-screen, never to be seen again and/or be the villain in a future arc
- Run directly to George, to apologize to him, and then they fall madly in love

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell

Is it weird that I find this more vaguely unsettling than the strips where they talk about eating sentient being? The hedgehog is doing this weird matchmaking where she first prevents the mink from running off, then presents George to her as a viable dating opportunity, and then when the mink is creeped out and runs away, creates a situation where she'll have to be close to George from here on in. Not leaving a lot of room for choice here, you know?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Gnoman posted:

The caption on this comic has been changed! Originally, it was "Eeny-oony-wanah!", intended as a nonsense chant.

It's also one of the ones involved in editor-related screw-ups. I dug out my old Far Side book....

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 25, 2022

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

amigolupus posted:

I'm worried that this is either going to lead to the gopher figuring out they like to crossdress...or this is going to turn into a badly-handled story about the gopher figuring out they're trans.

Nah, it's way simplier than that. Gopher is pining for weasel, it's love at first sight despite the whole hellworld thing, so he put the mask and wig on the dummy to make it look like the weasel. Weasel will show up at some point (probably after a couple other storylines) and confess she is also thinking about gopher, and the two will be fated to be together forever after that, like all Holbrook relationships.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

sweeperbravo posted:

Oh poo poo. Is this that storyline? Or does that happen to April?

As I recall, it happens to April, so we're a couple years away.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

riderchop posted:

And!! Until we run out, I'll be posting Rae the Doe's web archives starting from the beginning, two a day:

Virgo

The Genie

I can't wait until we get to the puns. Dear lord, the puns...

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Honestly, I just find early Kevin and Kell frustrating to read because he's way worse with the calling everyone by their names all the time -thing.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I ended up looking up the reason for Black Friday sales recently, and here's what I learned: You know how Macy's Department Store has sponsored the Thanksgiving Day parade for decades and decades? Well, they'd naturally use the event to promote their stores, and since you're a month-off from Christmas, they'd naturally advertise their big pre-Christmas sales. Several other department stores did something similar with their own more-local events. Since the giants of the industry would wait until just after Thanksgiving to start their sales, all the little guys did the same thing. This became the precedent that eventually mutated into Black Friday.

(The irony that Retail frequently complains about Christmas sales starting just after Halloween is pretty great for this reason)

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

EBB posted:

TURTLES DO NOT WORK THAT WAY

He's a frog pretending to be a turtle.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Tiggum posted:

I don't get it. Is it just a non sequiter or is there some significance to red bandannas?

Just that her girlfriend, Mimi, gave it to her, I think?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Tactical goose poop was not something I expected when I opened the thread this morning. Gross.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Also, let's be real, his wife's job probably pays a whole lot better than his does.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

And somewhere in 1983, a young Bill Holbrook drops his paper in excitement. He has an idea!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 25, 2022

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Am I totally missing this one? Is it just a pun on argyle socks?

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 25, 2022

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

amigolupus posted:

I never realized how much of these too-easily-resolved plots end with the baby racking up a murder count. It's like Kevin and Kell gave birth to the ultimate serial killer, and it's already fully aware as a baby.

Fun fact, the comic strip has given us exactly one glimpse of what Coney would be like as an adult:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

riderchop posted:

Rae the Doe #300, from the web archives

I really need people to acknowledge this absolute shaggy dog of a pun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Mikl posted:

Classic Kevin and Kell (April 20-24. 1998)

First appearance: Chertsey.

Oh, boy, this storyline. The payoff/retcon(?) of it won't be for a while, but it's loving wild.