Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I thought I had gotten over The Lion King being referred to as "live action", but apparently not!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Ccs posted:

I've been rewatched Futurama which has like 8 voice actors doing about 200 different roles. Really shows the range that pro voice actors have as opposed to celebrities who can usually do their normal voice.

I was watching the episode of Inside the Actors Studio with the cast of The Simpsons and it was hilarious as they read off the characters. I knew it was kinda lopsided but hearing it out loud really cemented it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

cant cook creole bream posted:

Unfortunately it's the former. Jazz is weird. I basically like music from every single genre, but that one is somehow both boring and overbearing. Also, for some reason I get headaches from the sound of saxophones. Oh, and I don't like pretentious jazz people. All of that makes me stay away from that movie.

Too bad really, I heard early stuff about it and I heard about some story about ghosts needing to come back and the animation was neat. But that's an absolute deal breaker.

I will be the rear end in a top hat and suggest that you probably could've spent the minutes writing these posts just watching the start of Soul instead, and maybe it turns out you love it despite jazz.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I'm trying to figure out if I would've found Soul's historic figures as mentors bit funny when I was younger (but still old enough to recognize them), because they left me completely stone-faced. Just "yes, I see what you're doing here, no it's not funny, can we move along now oh good there's more".

Overall it felt like a movie with several better movies mixed up within it, and I kinda wish we got to see one of those instead. I'd watch Joe's life on Earth, Joe's soul somehow being the first to ever break the rules, Dez's life, 22 doing anything other than occupying a Black body, Dorothea Williams's life, Joe's mom's life, Moonwind's crew wandering around. There's lots of good here, but we only get it for a few minutes at a time.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

It mostly made me want to rewatch Inside Out, so I did and it’s still great.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Both the Lego and Batman franchises. It literally is *the* Lego Batman movie.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

BonoMan posted:

Also when Terry tells the main Jerry that the count's off and she says "that hasn't happened for centuries."... is that a Jesus joke? Cracked me up.

Woah that's great.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Kart Barfunkel posted:

So how long do I wait until I can just stream Raya regular style?

June 4.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

It's like some uncanny valley Markov chain. That should really be turned into a movie.

e: the dalmatians book, I mean.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Sir Lemming posted:

I mean it's hard to really debate this without any direct quotes, because it's an extremely nuanced thing, but I do potentially get it. You put all this work into a movie hoping to eventually see it pay off, but then the studio decides to release it in a way where there may not be any quantifiable way to determine whether it was a success. And then at the same time, the same company (sort of) releases other movies targeted at a similar audience in a way where there will be a quantifiable measure of success.

Of course, there's a downside to that too, which is yet to be seen. I personally think it will end up hurting those movies. But that's only a guess, and I'm not personally invested in these projects. So I get why someone wouldn't feel the same way.

This sounds like it to me. Box office revenue is a (fairly stupid, unless you're funding movies) way to rank and talk about movies, but it's at least a proxy for how many people saw your movie. When it's streaming only, you never get numbers.

Actually, does Disney release numbers for $30 releases? I would've guessed they make some vague statements and unlabelled graphs and keep the actual info under wraps.

Staying mad at the suits sounds like a great way to hate your studio job.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Ccs posted:

While I love the way that movie looks I'm gonna wait to just watch the movie on Netflix and not watch the trailers.

This is me for every movie. Highly recommended!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

They updated spacejam.com what the gently caress, that was a museum piece and a priceless cultural artifact.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Phew!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

In case there's any Rhythm Heaven fans around, I came across this and it’s delightful: https://youtu.be/Pk0SjQSAb_8

Stop motion Munchy Monk!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

??

If there's anything Spiderverse drives home it's that the idea of Spider Man (and by extension, heroes in general) is subject to wildly different interpretations but have a common goal of doing good.

I was thinking along these lines after rewatching The Lego Batman Movie the other day. It and Into the Spider-Verse are two of my favourite movies of the last decade, and they both involve smashing multiple different interpretations/versions of well-known characters into the same setting. I have a fairly uninformed comic book background (seen some movies, never read anything), so it's not my deep connection or knowledge, but there's something magical about putting those different versions side-by-side.

And I guess doing an absolutely killer job on the production. That helps too.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Data Graham posted:

I was surprised that Dragostea Din Tei wasn't listed in the credits. I guess it was a brief enough sample

Same! And I thought taking like 15 seconds from two different Sigur Ros songs and playing them consecutively was kinda weird.

Also the upgraded black robots felt very Spider-Verse-y, in a good way.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Saw Raya yesterday and it is the most average movie I've ever seen. What the hell was the point of that. Either tell a coherent story or make it a "five short stories about Kumandra" or poo poo let's just follow Boun around. Almost all of the punch-up dialogue was a miss too. I don't need every line to work perfectly across little kids and adults, but when it's taking me out of the movie that's no good.

The score oddly sucked too, though it was better than that awful credits song.

Partway through one of us watching said "wait, the dragons are My Little Ponies" and yep, they sure are.

Also was I the only one surprised by there actually being a hundred dragons? Like there's a 1:1 ratio of dragons to humans. I mean, sure, whatever, but up to the end I thought there were five. Also I thought Sisu needed to touch a gem piece in order to walk on raindrops but then all 100 dragons can do it so was that a special power or not ok I'm done.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

BonoMan posted:

I dunno man. I think context is key here. Also each one seems to own either side of the white bar. I'd say it's intentional. Or at least reinforced.

Luca is like 40% blue in that frame.

It's a cool idea but this feels like one of those "fun facts" that goes around for years until someone finally asks the artist and they answer "hadn't even occurred to me".

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Woah I remember Sky High! And I remember it being decent?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Robindaybird posted:

EDIT: as not to double post, watching Fantasia 2000 again. Pomp and Circumstance is still the worst segment and given it's a replacement for an even worse idea. I do think people were harsher on than it deserve especially as the home video segment of the original Fantasia had cut out all the talking bits from the roadshow run (which is what D+ has), though yes the CGI of the Pines of Rome did not age that well - Rhapsody in Blue is still the best segment.

My memory of Fantasia 2000 is walking as a sixth grade class downtown to the Imax to see it. It was like a 30 minute walk each way, and I marvel at the idea that such a field trip would come close to being okayed by any school administrator today. I got popcorn on the way out of the theatre (not the way in) so I could snack on the walk back.

Don't remember a thing about the movie, I should watch it again too.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

readingatwork posted:

I wouldn't be shocked if you told me that Watterson took a lot of inspiration from Schulz. For example Schulz liked to do snowman comics that feel very similar Calvin's (albeit more wholesome).

That's a good call, Watterson's not shy about citing Peanuts as a main influence. I think he even wrote the foreword of the Schulz biography.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Shadow Hog posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if all those Berenstain Universe film lines were real - after all, The Matrix didn't gain its iconic green tint for the in-the-Matrix scenes until home releases, apparently, so changes being made post-theatrical-run do seem to be a thing.

I thought it was there in the first movie, but they cranked it way up in the sequels and adjusted future releases of the first to match?

And never forget releasing a week one patch for Cats.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

JazzFlight posted:

Easy, just get Lin-Manuel Miranda to do it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNmGstXc2OY

Apologies to your ears.

I assumed this was some machine learning thing but it's an impression? Amazing.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Hawkperson posted:

All I remember is that Kristoff is shockingly good at making 80s music videos

I was gonna say this but I couldn't remember Kristoff's name. What a forgettable film.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Didn't 4 have the plastic fork toy? That was cool. Kids play with boxes, why aren't boxes sentient?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The plastic fork toy just has Buzz Lightyear's arc from the first movie. The entire movie is basicallly just recycled plots from prior entries in the franchise. The subplot about Bo Peep striking out on her own is the only unique plot point. Since there is so much other stuff going on in the film, it barely gets any focus though.

I don't think fork toy works in a first movie because it plays on the seeming rule that toys are manufactured as toys. There's value in exploring two different flavours, "your life is a lie" and "so you just crawled out of the primordial soup", even though they're both an existential crisis.

I see what you mean though.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Comrade Fakename posted:

1) The central metaphor here has some pretty questionable implications. So the red panda represents unbridled emotion, and in particular sexual feelings. This is pretty clear, she summons the panda by imagining one of the 4-Town boys as a shirtless merman. And this works well as a through line in the movie. But when the girls are trying to raise money for the concert, they put on shows where all the kids can hang out with the panda - what is this supposed to represent? Mei, er, displaying her sexuality to other children? For money? All these kids pawing at and hugging a cute panda seems pretty weird considering everything else in the film!

I think you’re going out of your way to pick up one of the many triggering feelings we see and carry it into another scene? Unless deforestation, competition loss, and cute kittens are also meant to evoke particularly sexual feelings. Like I follow your logic but I don’t think it's in the film.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I love the weird video games logic that accepting her panda immediately explicitly gives her a double jump upgrade

Same! It felt just like a video game but that was totally ok and it fit somehow.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Comrade Fakename posted:

1) Based on the fact that Domee got started on fan art (and wow, weird to see Haruhi and Phoenix Wright art in a Disney product!), I speculate that the “making money with the panda” metaphor I talked about earlier was in fact an allusion to her producing erotic fan art as a teenager. It obviously fits in with her hobby, it’s something her parents would likely be very upset about, and as the panda represents sexuality, it fits that too.

What do the relative sizes of the kid, mom, auntie, and grandma pandas say about their sexuality?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

priznat posted:

Hey anyone remember this:

Yeah it sucked

I remember liking it (probably helped by my rock bottom expectations) but the sequel did nothing for me.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

Rapunzel and Eugene make cameo appearances at a royal function in Frozen.

That doesn't make them related? Unless op was making a royalty inbreeding joke in which case heh.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Vitruvian Manic posted:

Watching the "making of" documentary it was funny because the people who create Frozen (a terrible movie that unexpectedly succeeded) are now getting attention from real Disney creators like the people who made Zootopia and Big Hero Six (two great movies that dominated the cultural zeitgeist). The original version from the songs we have is a diptych story where Christoph is trying to propose to Anna and Elsa is discovering love in her own way. That got ditched HARD and replaced with something that is truly amazing and Disney.

That making-of was surprisingly good. I can't imagine they set out to capture a train wreck, and they don't outright put it together like they captured a train wreck, but it's just quietly sitting there the whole time. Or maybe every movie is a stew of uncertainty and frantic test-rewrite cycles, idk, but that doesn't usually make it into the making-of.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I was surprised how involved the songwriters were in the story process. Maybe that's not uncommon but it seemed weird to me, and I took it as none of the script making any sense and/or nobody being willing to make a decision. So they punted on it as long as possible and crammed the resolution of all the things into The Song. Which predictably didn't solve the problem of making any sense or picking a direction.

My favourite part is the songwriters getting off yet another call about story changes and more or less going "what the hell was that".

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Sivart13 posted:

To the credit of the team behind Frozen 2, the documentary actually reveals things about the process of the movie getting made and doesn't make much effort to hide the big obstacles they tried, successfully or not, to negotiate along the way

Compare to the Turning Red "making of" special, where one might believe that the the movie had no problems and was summoned into existence by the sheer weight of positive affirmations between the leadership team. Which, maybe it was? Who knows.

It's not a bad watch, but I wish some of these BTS things had more substance (this goes times a thousand for any of the Marvel Assembled docs)

Agreed. Nothing wrong with enjoying some soundbites alongside shots of wacoms and a sound booth, but it's cool to go a bit deeper.

edit: oh my other favourite part of the Frozen 2 doc is Idina Menzel doing her best not to look extremely bored during a studio tour.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

Howard Ashman, basically a large part of why the Disney Renaissance happened, was responsible for things like Sebastian being a Hip Carribbean dude (so that he could work in the tropical instrumentation of Under the Sea), Ursula being based on Divine, Belle getting a 7 minute opening musical number in Beauty and the Beast...

Granted, I think he was a unique talent. But the song people potentially have a lot of sway if the project is run right.

That's really cool, I didn't know that.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

I don't know how the corporate structure works, does that mean we've seen the last film directed by Domee Shi? Kinda sad about that.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Wittgen posted:

Andrew Stanton was promoted to the exact same position in 2006, and he's directed Wall-E and Finding Dory.

Excellent!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The only 9/11-related thing I remember coming up at school after the event itself, as a ~13-year-old in Canada, was some other kids saying the USD exchange rate had tanked. But I think they had never looked at an exchange rate before because they were reading it backwards.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

People on SA get so super weird about even the most milquetoast hornyposts that it's honestly endearing to see how many people get grumpy when Hedrigall makes a post about, like, Pixar Mom Cougarwomen or something.

Like he could post about how the D.A.R.E. lion looks like he owns a bunch of athleisure clothes and people would froth at the mouth with blood running down their eyes.

I sat through an entire Sheridan fourth year film screening on the weekend and there was exactly one that was even remotely horny.

Don't know whether or how that supports anything in this post, but it made me think of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

I finally got to see The Bad Guys with some friends today

Really liked it, don't have a lot to say except i was pleasantly surprised that Mr Snake turned out to be the emotional center of the movie kinda? Or at least the friendship between him and Mr Wolf was like the emotional focus of the story.

Totally agree. I wish there wan't the extremely rote story around him and the movie was some kinda Mr. Snake memoir instead.