Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

The new HBOMax coming out this month will have at some of the Ghibli library (if the ad material with Totoro is anything to go by).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

smug n stuff posted:

She’s also reprising in full her role from Hunt for the Wilderpeople

And Thor Ragnarok

Rachel House is great and I love every time she shows up in something.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

I completely lost it at the mom's transformation into the literal Doom Slayer

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Finally got around to seeing The Good Dinosaur, thanks to my son being home sick. It, uh, wasn’t very good. It had some good parts (the reverse shark fin thing with the pterodactyls was very cool) but otherwise I can see why it didn’t do too well in theaters. Also I hate how Arlo and his family look.

It should have just been about the ranching tyrannosaurus.

The Good Dinosaur mood:

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Macaluso posted:

I just remembered one of my favorite jokes in the movie which is the camera zooming in on the "ñ" when the dad is trying to use the giant phone

:catdrugs: HAS THE WORLD GONE MAD!? :catdrugs:

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Interrupting Luca-chat to point out Season 2 of Big Top Burger:

https://twitter.com/Worthikids/status/1403414494450180098

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Looks like Hilda and the Mountain King has a release date (30 Dec):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok-C2k841Gc

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Even with a fairly simple (and very effective) art style it's got some gorgeous animation:

I Am Fowl posted:

My favorite little bit of animation was Hilling cutting the cake. It was absolutely, perfectly executed animation, roughly one second long. Just by seeing the subtle motions of the knife, you can tell the exact texture of the cake.

EDIT: I made a gif of it.

https://i.imgur.com/vT1SXwR.mp4

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think one of the most informative anecdotes about the biography I read on Walt was him delivering papers as a kid in the early morning and stopping to play with the toys of rich kids that had been left on porches.

That the Neal Gabler one? I'm reading it right now and yeah lots of great little insights into his early life so far, highly recommended.

Also how his parents thought he was a ladies man because all the girls in high school were hanging around him and his response was 'eh, none of them are interested in animation, sorry.' :goonsay:

He ends up marrying one of the ink artists at Disney Bros Studios.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Ok now I'm just imagining TLM but with Strong Bad replacing Sebastian.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Reading the brief plot synopsis on Wikipedia makes it sound like they're going with a different plot than the webcomic, will be interesting to see if/how much they keep of Blackheart since he was more of the main protagonist in that one.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

cant cook creole bream posted:

The problem with that is that goat eyes are incredibly creepy and would disturb all children in the audience.
Also I am not a fan of 'realistic' portrayals of animals in animated movies. That's mostly why the CGI Lion King sucked so much. It was mostly quasi-realistic big cats opening their mouths without any stylistic freedom and with barely any visible emotion.

I don't know if eyes would be that distu....

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

What's particularly funny is that DreamWorks already did a vastly superior film about a wishing star last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

There were a couple things I kept waiting to be followed up on but were never really addressed, possibly because they were meant to be subtextual:

- At some point prior to the movie the family built a western style house on their traditional family estate and spent almost the entire movie living in it. I'm guessing this was meant to signify the world's shift from the magical to modernity and leaving the old ways behind, although even then they continued to hold onto some traditional pieces like the second wife's bow and the father strapping on a sword to go look for the son. Some of the background and character design on the grand-uncle seemed to imply he might have been a European who moved to Japan but they never provided much detail there.

- Throughout the movie I kept waiting for the shoe to drop on having a war factory next to your house in 1944 Japan. After reading other commentary on the movie I can definitely see the father's aircraft factory and the fighter canopies scene as part of the movie's theme of how art can also include controlling and even destructive tendencies. Still seems a little strange having the movie specifically set during WWII but not really having the war impact the story in any way. Even the mother's hospital burning down seemed depicted as more of an accident rather than the result of Allied bombing.