Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

r u ready to WALK posted:

https://i.imgur.com/coTI1yN.mp4

Wolfwalkers is an incredibly beautiful movie, and a great champion for hand drawn animation.
The ending feels bitter sweet though, since humans did eventually colonise and hunted the wolf to exctinction on the british isles.

I saw James Baxter under "Additional Animation" in the credits and I bet I can name the one stunt effects sequence they brought him in for

That guy is some kind of sorcerer I swear

e: as to the ending — I'm sure it's no accident the movie's saying the same thing about pagan Irish culture in the face of English protestantism or anything

This studio is absolutely kicking everybody's faces in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pick posted:

Like I'm pretty sure that half of the lines in the film are, "[character name]! Nooo!"

Or “you have to help me! You promised!”

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The stylization was absolutely next level though. All that perspective fuckery, haven't seen anything like that since Thief & the Cobbler

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The like #4 animation trend from the 90s that I would have asked a genie to do away with forever would have been “voice casting based on whoever is considered a good screen actor or Hollywood star rather than an interesting or competent voice actor”

Come see our new movie starring ... like fuckin, Nicolas Cage and Catherine Zeta-Jones

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

OK, I was just grabbing for a name. I don't know, Matt Damon

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yes, my brain was screaming that at me as I typed it :mmmhmm:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

FunkyAl posted:

I have a short animation, that I made, ready for view this Boxing Day.

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/775794

One week only! May the Force Be With You.

This is rad

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Which is just super sad, because for at least 15 years after their emergence it seemed like they were operating on a level all their own, where they were physically incapable of putting a foot wrong. Even their weaker entries were miles ahead of what anyone else was doing and showed up their upstart competition as flailing posers. "New Pixar movie" was holy poo poo time

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Next from Pixar, a movie about rap and country

Working title, “Everything Except”

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Fartington Butts posted:

I'm watching Hercules for the first time in a long-rear end time. I got sick of it because Kingdom Hearts will not stop doing bad levels based on it. And that's saying a lot given how not great KH is.

Not only is the animation great, but I forgot John Goodman is Zeus. And this is also more interesting after I've played a lot of Hades. James Woods is a shithead, but goddamn I love his commitment to being Hades.

Uhh wait, are we talking about the Disney one? That's Rip Torn, no?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

galenanorth posted:

They already did that in the end credits of Monsters, Inc. with Sully and Mike, though

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I’ve always been a big fan of “rotoscoped Gandalf jumps dramatically onto a rock and gets his cloak wrapped around his face”

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I remember when they chopped out the squirrel bit into a Valentines special for one of those Disney Sunday Movie segments hosted by Eisner or something, and it was so depressing to 8 year old me I never wanted to see the real thing

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Assume you mean the Batman franchise

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I feel like it's the new Tweety Bird

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think most of his movies are set at the end of one era where it's the very final days of one way of living as a new way takes over. A new generation meeting a dying way of life and ending up moving on and not reversing the decline but taking some part of it to assimilate into the modern world.

I think it makes sense, many of his movies are about childhood, and childhood ending, and that itself is a fact of life that is bittersweet. And his own childhood was during and immediately after world war II, and that is a lot more confusing narrative for a Japanese person. In the US, the story you get if you are 80 is "america was great, then we were the good guys, then america got even better!", while if you are 80 and japanese trying to talk about the world changing from your childhood it's a really mixed mess of "we were a bunch of fishing villages that turned into a military industrial superpower real quick, but it was bad, but we made cool planes, and we got utterly destroyed for it, but then we turned into a technological superpower and now everyone's life is much better than it was, but also worse, and we did it and that is good but also it happened because we did something bad, but it had to happen to get here, so I'm glad it happened but also it was bad" and I think that sort of very ambivalent, "it's good bad things are happening but now everything is better but also worse" makes a lot of sense as a theme for him.

I gotta see Royal Space Force again, now that I've finally watched all of Evangelion

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What ... is a con baby

Is this referring to the pillbug thing with the cutesy teddy bear face?

Google is not helpful at all

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh. Well crap, I was watching the wrong trailer, lmao.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BPMTr-NS9s

This one's much older I guess

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Trailers, particularly ones for animated movies, have a long history of including the worst and lamest lines.

I'm just getting awfully tired of the formula trailer format, where there's all this big dramatic sweeping Big Bad Boss Fight stuff leading to TITLE CARD REVEAL —> smash cut to "goofball butt joke scene" and the end

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Or kids

Sorry double post

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I remember when the first Ice Age trailer came out, which was just a 4-minute wordless Scrat (as yet unnamed) segment. My friends and I thought it was the greatest thing ever; we passed it around like a viral video. Look at all this slapstick and physical comedy! It's like a throwback to the Golden Age! This movie is going to rock!!

... And then the movie itself was just kind of eeehhhh, wisecracking buddy road movie, with the Scrat stuff as occasional interstitial comedy relief, which itself got repetitive and boring. It was a very disillusioning experience

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Really don't think it needed to go live-action though.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

FunkyAl posted:

Clearly you weren't 8!

That's what I don't get about all the live-action/CGI remakes of everything though. Not to relitigate something that I'm sure has been talked to death here, but when I was a kid "cartoon" meant "for me" and "live action" meant "boring and for grown-ups". I would have looked at a live-action remake of a Disney movie and said "wtf, are they trying to get my mom to watch this?"

Maybe today's 8-year-olds have entirely different associations, but I could never figure out what kind of rationale based in "this is what kids want" there could be.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Zombie Island was fuckin great

Like it was actually funny, not like laugh-track funny

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It’s not great that “Velma is not classically feminine looking” => “lesbian” but waddyagonnado

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I remember one of the shows' intro sequences has Scooby hugging his like backwoods cousin who is even more ungainly and ugly.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Reading this stuff about Disenchantment without having seen any of it makes it sound like some kind of inscrutable artsy David Lynch sort of thing where time and causality has no meaning and you're not really supposed to "get" it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm super confused, how can they be doing another live-action ATLA movie and have it turn out worse than the first one.

Also, Rugrats coming back? Bring back Peter Chung imo

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I would have thought that well was drained dry by this point anyway, 98% of the fanfiction is total grimdark bullshit.

3D is a weirder choice. The first movie was classic feature-ish 2D and did a pretty good job with aping the 90s Disney look. 3D has always had a connotation of "cheap Gary's Mod gags" in that crowd

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah I mean, the brief doesn't make it sound any darker than any of the stuff they've already done in the last ten years, conceptually. That's part of why the grimdark fans took it and ran with it. So I'm really not surprised at that kind of story idea.

"Racism/segregation based on subspecies" was an episode premise in like the second season

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Darth TNT posted:

Just wait till you see the unicorn run some pony through.

This (or the threat of it) was a plot point in the very first episode of the recent show

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean we grew up with the fuckin Artax scene, don’t tell me some kind of rubicon is being crossed

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

perepelki posted:

mlp could never put swastikas in their product because executives wouldn't allow it

this is not a criticism of mlp. it's just a straightforward fact, presented to be thought about

They did have an episode with a Stalinist dictator pony who locked others up in equality gulags and broadcast propaganda into their cells

You know just fun fact

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

paradoxGentleman posted:

It was more of a cult thing than a communism thing. In fact I think people just heard the character go "everyone should be equal" and immediately went "communism" despite the aesthetic being very much "small town cult".

e: yes I marathoned bunches of MLP episodes at one point, what of it???

I suppose, though that's very much the same exercise as asking what Camazotz represents

e:
fifth graders: "Communism"

college students: "Cult-like mentality and dynamics in general"

the author: *taps nose inscrutably*

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 26, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

In fact that's a big part of normalizing queer concepts, getting people to think of it as naturally as they do hetero romance in kid-oriented properties since time immemorial. One of the things to overcome is the notion that gayness is inherently sexual and therefore "not for kids".

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Somehow pleased to see that cartoons-in-the-real-world movies in 2021 don't look any better than Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Didn't they make that episode kind of explicitly as a gently caress-you to the people/countries who would otherwise be able to handwave their way past it?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Schwarzwald posted:

I just watched Disney's Atlantis. It's definitely one of the more made by committee animated films I've seen.

I think they were getting spooked by stuff like Titan A.E. and Dreamworks things and tricking themselves into thinking they were doomed unless they followed the trends of the upstarts (didn't help that they were fresh out of fairy tales to adapt). I remember a CalArts friend telling me the studio pitch one-liners were "Fewer songs, more explosions" and "Not a dry pair of pants in the house"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Such highs and lows. Way-too-intense Rip Torn Zeus is amazing, but Hera as doting mother is lmao. Crazy cool Gerald Scarfe art design, godawful CGI on the hydra. Rad motown/R&B twist on the music, but I'm not so sure the Rocky/prizefighting reframe works. Hades is fantastic in concept and execution, but it's hard to watch him knowing it's James Woods. Etc

e: also it's about where I started thinking it's a little weird and off-putting that Disney keeps insisting on having the story center around the hero/heroine moping about finding "the place where I belong"

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I still chuckle to this day over how DuckTales got its start as a weird accidental spinoff from this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggmVm2ljDuw