Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I've also read that his weird racist poo poo was a literal phobia- Like he would freak the gently caress out if he saw a swarthy individual. His wife, Sonia Greene, started helping him to be just a wee bit more accepting by virtue of being Jewish. But they were only married two years and the dude was essentially a spiraling shut-in during, so v:v:v.

I always felt a little bad for Lovecraft because he was so, so goddamn mentally ill. Guy needed serious help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Fun fact: in the tail end of his life, he realized what an absolute dipshit he had been, and was on an upward trend. It's unfortunate that he didn't have time to do much to actually do something with this knowledge, but what can you do.

Here's a relevant bit from one of his letters:

He died a month later :(

Here's the rest of it, which you'll find is really unexpected given what we know of the guy: https://github.com/punchmonster/Lovecraft-Letters/blob/master/19370207-Catherine-L-Moore.md

Given, I'm a complete sucker for people earnestly trying to do better, but this is sad as hell. It's impressive he had the capacity for this kind of reflection considering his severe mental state. Ugh, that sucks.

I hate reading biographies about people in (now obvious) psychological distress and thinking, "Someone HELP THEM!" Kafka and Woolf come to mind. The hindsight hurts.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Shrek 2 defies the odds by A) having the best villain song and B) it being a cover.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

The 7th Guest posted:

new cute superman just dropped

This is Jake's show! :3:

Jake Wyatt was our storyboard director on Florpus and my AD on Pantheon. He just left to do this and he's been working on it as long as I've known him. Sent him chocolate chip cookies and rye bread as a congratulations since we couldn't do it in person. And this was about 3 weeks ago, so they've just started. He's got his storyboard team in mind, but they hadn't even gotten PAs last we talked.

I've gotten the pitch version from him and y'all in for a real treat. It's so cool to see it pop up here!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Robindaybird posted:

I think the next villain to get an origin story and unnecessarily sympathetic story is The Wicked Queen (with the magic mirror as the villains)

I would watch this if the mirror was a window into Lovecraftian madness and it was tonally in the style of Hereditary.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Roger and Anita have a pre-existing relationship with Cruella and in my womanly opinion, it is okay to dislike a lady who is rude to your staff, openly mocks your home, your spouse and his profession, puts out her cigarette in your perfectly good cupcakes and tea, and then flips out with threats and smashes the door when you tell her she can't just throw money at you and take your dogs. She was already a bitch before she stole and attempted to murder puppies. Roger was 100% right in being all, "Hon, your friend is toxic and you shouldn't waste your time tolerating her." Anita has doormat energy, probably from Cruella being a bully friend in school as mentioned above.

If I could play a trumpet I, too, would use it to drive assholes from my home. Perhaps even better that I can't.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
It was a throwaway gag that creates a potential plot hole, but there's a bit where the brother whispers that he thought babies came from sex and Boss Baby acts like he's a disgusting freak for thinking that. So his parents already had that talk with him and he shouldn't have any misconceptions about where his brother came from. Unless the implication is that he actually believes his parents are gross liars.

There's some deep dive Fight Club interpretation of Boss Baby out there that I'm too lazy to look for.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Pre-K target shows are unapologetically toyetic. Repulsively toyetic. It's really not fun arguing that Princess Cabbage Baby's main color should be green because she has cabbage powers, OBVIOUSLY, while the toy company demands she be pink/purple because girls only buy pink/purple stuff and all the while I'm thinking, "I WAS THAT LITTLE GIRL AND I WOULD HAVE BOUGHT THE GREEN PRINCESS IF YOU HAD EVER GIVEN ME AN OPTION, YOU GODDAMN REGRESSIVE DILDOS."

People don't seem to think young kids can handle any kind of nuance though, so you get all the antiquated stereotypes in pre-K shows and it makes me feel gross for contributing. Because a girl without eyelashes?! HOW DO WE KNOW IS GIRL?! IS SHE PINK?!

I am angry.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Butt Detective posted:

Even as a ~5 year old I thought it was bullshit that I was having pink girly things forced on me when I didn’t want them. It made me hate being a girl for a good chunk of my childhood and teen years. :(

It sucks because pink is legit a really nice colour! It’s just hard to appreciate when it’s basically your only option.

100%. Lavender is probably my favorite color now that I have options. As a kid, all I wanted was sparkly orange stuff. A glittery orange bike, a boofy orange dress, a pretty orange playhouse. But girls don't get orange and boys don't get glitter, so now I'm just a bitter pastel goth.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Didn't Super Horse want to gently caress Super Girl?
Also I find it strange that stunt voice casting is still a thing.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I know it wouldn't make continuity sense (lol), but I still wish they went with Looney Tunes Show Lola. That's the only time the character was ever good.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Kangra posted:

They should've got Four Non Blondes.

If it means we're getting a reboot of this, I'm 1000% in.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Only thing that puts me off is that I kinda hate Kevin Smith's stuff. With the exception of that Clerks cartoon, that was goddamn gold.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Robindaybird posted:

I had children's books where kids 6 and 7 were having pretend weddings and poo poo, Ponyo being weird doesn't discount how common it is for little kids too be portrayed as having romantic interest in the opposite gender.

Or you know, how many kids stopped playing with kids of the other gender because of all the adults cooing about them having a boy/girlfriend and being too embarrassed by the teasing.

When I was a kid, my teenage sister wanted to take a nap instead of playing with my friends and me. So we lit a bunch of candles, turned out the lights and had a pretend funeral for her.

What I'm saying is, kid's media should go further because we underestimate what they can handle.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

sliami posted:

ik u been In The Rooms, so can i ask whether the fear of gay (or green princess cabbage babies) is about breaking the consumer base?

a long time ago i remember a breakdown of why companies killed kid shows they couldn't neatly fit into gendered toys—essentially having to do with how toy aisles are expressly binary, and sometimes if the toys weren't binary they didn't get stocked

I get the distinct impression it's A Thing. I'd also make an estimated guess that it's A Thing because all these toy companies are run by mummies who genuinely believe Bobby will turn gay if he plays with a Barbie or are fearful of the ravenous Conservative search for the Gay Agenda. And since people have this really weird and skewed memory of how perfect and fragile childhood was, there's no real fight. We still have idiots taking "Hey, it's okay to have 2 dads." and turning it into "They're trying to teach 5 year-olds about gay sex!"

But I've always considered a sizeable chunk of strict gender roles to be fear of gay. With a generous helping of misogyny and toxic masculinity, of course! After all, men are kill bots and women are pretty dumb-dumbs and if you mess with that order that thing from Ghostbusters will happen!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Data Graham posted:

Remember when America collectively poo poo its pants over Tinky Winky being gay propaganda because he has a triangle

YES.
I might go out in the yard today and kick the air in frustration.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
In an episode about thinly-veiled abuse, sex trafficking and PTSD, it's the thinly-veiled lesbians people took issue with. How dare those bitches find happiness after hell?! Angry. Angry Boo.

It'd be fun to see the Courage/SD crossover take advantage of a Courage perspective on the SD crew. Maybe not Venture Bros levels, I get it, but Courage was always great at having those weird aside comments or punctuation of silence that reveals a lot more about a character than should be possible in 11 minutes.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
If seeing two guys/girls share a kiss in a cartoon is enough to corrupt young minds into homosexuality, maybe heterosexuality is just that poo poo. Any other options mentioned and folks are absolutely terrified their kids will yeet right the gently caress out. They know.

They know.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'd like to see Disney do a very traditional princess movie, but they're gay and there's just gently caress-all subtlety. I know it ain't gonna happen because money, but hey.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

BioEnchanted posted:

Obviously some executive fell in love with the Notorious P.I.G pun and didn't consider whether it was actually worth pursuing or not.

Has a cartoon rapping ever not been how-do-you-do-fellow-kids terrible? I sincerely can't think of an example.

e: I just realized Robot Chicken did the same sketch like, +10 years ago.

Das Boo fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jul 4, 2021

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

This. This speaks to me.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I like that I understand exactly how he tripped.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Popping in mild anime chat to encourage you all to watch Odd Taxi. It's going to be another show I'll be extremely comfortable recommending to people who don't watch anime.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Hedrigall posted:

I heard this was great and another addition to the furry animation renaissance

Legit great. It's a mystery/crime drama and I'm excited to watch it again knowing how everything fits together.
The main character is a 41 year-old cabbie who looks like my cat, and that is very important to me.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Data Graham posted:

Anyway I may be the only person in the world who thinks this but I really dislike the TLK musical. Simba is just a psychopath in it. And having him sing his pissy song to his dead father blaming him for not being there for him? Dude you think you're the one who got him killed! Remember that whole thing??

Adding lyrics to the score melodies must have seemed like a great idea while they had Lebo M pushing to piggyback a bunch of his own weird songs onto a Disney soundtrack release, but geez it took a story that had had an already protracted and convoluted birth, finally settled on a nice balanced and self-contained Shakespearean tale full of consistent character development, and promptly sent it spinning off into the weeds again

Nah, I think this is valid. Hamlet is one of my least favorite Shakespeares because Hamlet is a loving exhausting, inactive protagonist. I hate spending time with him. TLK at least gives justification to his reluctance in that Simba doesn't blame anyone but himself and is punishing himself with exile. There's a reasonable amount of time given for him to struggle with his guilt and a need to act; it doesn't last the whole. drat. Play.

Adding back more Hamlet to TLK just makes me want to escape Simba more. He's just not a charismatic character.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

FilthyImp posted:

The blonde sadist antagonist guy is actually the sister of one of the protagonists from Gaia, Allan

I haven't seen Escaflowne in like, 20 years, so I had to look up who you were talking about. Their noses never bothered me, but

:lmao:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The only cynicism hanging in the back of my head is that all the Chinese representation from Disney is tokenism to grab more cash from the Chinese market. I don't expect to see much in the way of Bengali or Kazakhstani rep anytime soon. And I know, the Eisner memo.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Ccs posted:

It’s also Canadian representation since it’s set in Toronto.

Yeah, no cynicism there since Canada's not a big spender. I feel the same way about the Chinese stuff as when anytime Disney sells me a Girl Boss Moment. Like, "You don't actually care about this. You just want to get me to buy it."

I don't have the same feelings about animation coming from China at all. Hell, I wouldn't feel this way if Cartoon Saloon or Ghibli did a Chinese story because those studios present like they have a story they want to tell first, box office second. It's an American monolith blatantly grubbing for more gold that sticks in my craw. Nothing against Domee Shi, either. You gotta exploit the monster right back to ever have a chance at getting your vision out there.

I guess I've been soured on Disney trying to sell me cardboard feminism and gayness for the last 20 years. And a big hurdle to the latter is the loss of the Chinese market.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Yes, they do. I'm not complaining about Chinese representation, as I said, I'm complaining about this:

Michael Eisner posted:

We have no obligation to make history. We have no obligation to make art. We have no obligation to make a statement. To make money is our only objective.

And how this is now being implemented by pretending to care about PoCs, women and LGBTQ+ while talking out the other sides of their mouths when it might cost them money.

I cited Bangladesh because that's where I grew up and I talk about the motivation for greenlighting these projects because I work at these studios. My whole community does. I dislike how we're all used to tell the public, "See? We care about these people! We hired them!" while having us work constant crunch, strongly frowning at claimed overtime, and cutting entire crews loose at 5 PM the Monday after Christmas break with no goddamn warning. And we can't air our grievances because it's bad form and we'd get blackballed from the industry. Try filing a sexual harassment complaint. I dare you. Our union is weak, but it's the only thing stopping us from being eaten alive like people in the games industry.

And there are good points! I love my work! But any decent treatment you get is going to come from your team, not your company. Your company does not give one gently caress about you. They want your labor and they want to turn a profit off that labor. That's it. And so I don't have company loyalty, I'm here to work at something I enjoy and take my paycheck.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I don't like Disney's tactics in particular due to my personal experience with them concerning matters that I am really not comfortable discussing in further detail for reasons stated above, so I'll resign the discussion.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Ccs posted:

Having worked in kids shows for half a decade I find it very ironic that everyone that works on these shows doesn't make enough to have kids. I've worked at studios where timesheets were changed so that they always say 40 hours, or studios where overtime was paid with "time off in lieu" but the time off had to be approved and never was because the production was too busy to allow for any artists to take vacations. The most generous studio I worked for was ironically the vfx studio that has the worst reputation in the industry, because as opposed to the cartoon studios they actually paid time and a half for overtime on each paycheck and allowed 10 sick days even though they were only mandated by the government to offer 2, and stuck by the mandatory raise to match inflation mid-contract. The downside was that they had to meet hard deadlines for getting films into theaters so 72 hour weeks were common. But their overtime pay policy at least softened the blow a bit.

I'm in Canada btw which doesn't have an animation union though some studios have mistreated their artists so badly that a couple have unionized.

Come to think of it, the only folks I work with that have kids are director level or above. That's kinda eerie. My best studio was a small contract studio that encouraged me to pull back from the break-neck speed I'd developed since, y'know... the only reward for beating the deadline is more work and the expectation you'll keep that sprint pace. I was mercifully not one of the people who had a bed under their desk, but there were plenty of "in at 9 AM, out at 2 AM" days. I think most of us are fine with occasional crunch if we're simply compensated, but somehow a lot of billion dollar studios can't seem to manage that.

I remember when Sausage Party came out and not only were the Canadian studios worked to the brink, but a lot of people reported being denied screen credits which, holy poo poo. There goes your next job.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
IIIIIIII haaaaaate caaaaaaapitalismmmmmm.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
So is it true WB is the villain while we're also being shown, "Look at all this awesome stuff we own that LeBron doesn't wanna be a part of! Why wouldn't you want to sell your soul to WB?"

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

muscles like this! posted:

Not really, they show pretty early on that the bad guy is just kind of doing his own thing. There is a weird scene where Sarah Silverman and Steven Yeun are playing WB executives but they're played as pretty clueless.

So what exactly is the goal of the bad guy?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

muscles like this! posted:

He starts the movie wanting to leave the WB "Serververse" but then LeBron badmouths an idea Al G Rhythm comes up with (this is having LeBron scanned into a computer so that they can just use his image in anything they want) so he changes it over to kidnapping LeBron and a bunch of other people to do...?

???

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

This.
This poo poo.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

These last couple of pages have been so confusing. I've been taking everything at face value while fully aware people could be slipping in absolute BS because all this is so dumb.

Is this real? Did WB soft intro their new AI as a villain? Will the interface be Don Cheadle?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Darth TNT posted:

Does Space Jam 2 have the Animaniacs?

I watched a review of it and saw a Dot statue in a WB office.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I liked the reboot overall but hate that they killed the Chicken Boo gag.

Chicken Boo is a one note joke that never stopped being funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Regalingualius posted:

I can’t help feeling like you might be slightly biased here

I may be biased, but I'm also right!