Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i wouldn't say Grave is a strictly inappropriate movie for young viewers, but what fuckin' family sits down for movie night and goes "HMM I THINK WE SHOULD PUT ON THIS DEPRESSING MOVIE ABOUT CHILDREN STARVING TO DEATH AFTER HIROSHIMA"

doomrider7 posted:

That's Barefoot Gen. Grave of the Fireflies is about the Tokyo Firebombings.

Forgive me for being a pedantic weeb, but Grave of the Fireflies takes place in Kobe.

I'm no film critic but I expect that the fact that it's not one of the more famous cities is part of the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Thank you for this excellent effortpost.

Schwarzwald posted:

The first episode was very promising.

This was my experience of the 2011 Thundercats series. The pilot gave the impression of a show made by fans of the original toy commercial series who had just finished binging Avatar, and while it wasn't perfect is was still pretty promising. Then the subsequent episodes just kind of fell flat. I think I only watched maybe three or four of them before I gave up on it.

I'll have to check out Thundercats Roar at some point. It gives me the impression of something made by fans of the original who just finished binging Adventure Time instead, which is less my thing, but what I've seen of it looks pretty fun.

The_Doctor posted:

:stare: OH MY GOD IT'S DRILLER

Ok, I have to watch this.

Oh man, I still have a ViewMaster with a disc in it that has a story featuring this guy. :blush:

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

Thundercats seemed like it was swinging for that Sword and Sorcery but also Technology thing that was present in MotU, but even more nonsensical.

I'm sensible enough to understand that the show I loved as a kid was basically junk made to sell toys, but this is the bit that stayed with me and still has an effect on the silly pop culture I like. Like, the Thundercats are aliens from another world that blew up Krypton-style and escaped on a spaceship, and the protagonist is a child who aged up because his cold sleep thingie failed en route to their new home, and now he uses a magic sword to fight an evil mummy-lich. Sure, why not?

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
lmao what

Pictured: Cheetara with long, conventionally feminine hair:

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

flashy_mcflash posted:

I think in episode 2 or 3 of Thundercats Roar they're actually watching an episode of Silverhawks haha

I think MonStar had a brief cameo in the 2011 series, too.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Regarding Ghibli, no one's mentioned Kiki's Delivery Service yet, so I'll ask anyone who hasn't to please watch that film.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Soul is December 25th on Disney+., Raya and the Last Dragon is still March 25th, and Wolfwalkers just can't out last week.

I wanted to see Wolfwalkers but I just couldn't justify going to a theater right now. :( Any idea where and when it will be available online?

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

Wolfwalkers is on Apple TV+. :)

Alas, that doesn't help me any. :( Oh well.

Hedrigall posted:

Kiki breaks my heart because the cat stops talking by the end :smith:

I always assumed this had to do with Kiki developing a circle of human friends. Like her losing the ability to speak to the cat is tied to adolescence or something.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I didn't mind Aang getting a wholly new power to resolve the problem, but I do agree that it would have been much better for the show to build up to it over the course of the third season. The lion-turtle does show up as a background detail earlier, but that doesn't tell the audience anything about it. Aang could have been shown actively seeking some new option earlier on, and maybe we could have had an episode where he goes into the spirit world earlier in the season that kickstarts the process somehow.

I actually otherwise like the ending since, aside from the protagonist killing someone being inappropriate for a kids' show, I don't really see how killing Ozai necessarily ends the war. Azula (or whoever's next in line if she's too crazy) would just take over if he died, or maybe the Fire Nation would splinter into a bunch of smaller warring factions if there's no clear heir. This is the same reason Zuko can't just try to kill him in the eclipse episode. I always felt that the explanation as to why the Fire Nation was willing to stop fighting and accept the twice-disgraced Zuko as the new Fire Lord is because their king was dethroned by the envoy of heaven performing a miracle, rather him merely losing a fight. I don't like that it's narratively sudden, but it fits right in with the setting.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Hedrigall posted:

I still don’t get why people were clamouring for the small children to be gay

Or like any sexuality at all

There are ten million stories out there about cute childhood crushes between a girl and a boy and no one complains about those.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Luca looks very cute. A friend of mine gave me a slot on their Disney+ account that I have been resisting using, but since it doesn't sound like Luca is going to be in theaters (I think?) I guess I'll have to. By coincidence it would be the second film I'll have seen this week featuring a pair of mysterious fishboys, since I finally got around to seeing Children of the Sea the other day after the showing near me got canceled last year thanks to the pandemic. I expect Pixar's film to be rather less wild in its premise.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Luca is good, see it if you like good things

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Sir Lemming posted:

Psh yeah whatever, but exactly how gay is it, mathematically, according to the Togaytometer

Quite

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I just want to say how much I liked Massimo as a character. He's a single dad filling some of the traditionally maternal roles while still being strong and masculine. Also he's visibly disabled and it's not a big deal at all.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

hiddenriverninja posted:

There was a gay cop in Onward?

Supposedly it's a purple cyclops? I don't remember this character at all so I imagine that's part of the problem. The only cop character I recall from Onward was the centaur who was dating the boys' mother.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Hawkperson posted:

Someone pointed it out upthread but it's totally fine that Luca is pretty much a rorschach test on whether it's about friendships and fitting in or being gay af, that way it maybe reaches some kids whose family might not otherwise let them watch. But yeah it would be great if we had movies that were allegories like this one and then also some other movies where queer kids just get to be all explicitly queer and poo poo. The 'teen's first romance' trope has been done so many times in so many ways in so many kid's movies, have someone gay get their first peck on the cheek and get all twitterpated finally. I keep thinking about Violet's arc in Incredibles 1, she coulda been crushing on some girl instead

This is pretty much how I feel about it.

Zero One posted:

This is true but they also had a literal train station goodbye scene at the end.

The film felt pretty gay to me, because of this and a few other details, but I know I was primed to read it that way, both by discussion ahead of time and my own experiences. It's definitely a valid reading whether the director intended it or not.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
The 2011 Thundercats show had two things going for it - a pretty decent pilot episode that the rest of the season couldn't live up to, and a reference to the "samoflange" clip from those outtakes.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I had the chance to see ParaNorman in a theater today. I'm only mentioning this as an excuse to say that it's Laika's best film, and probably one of my favorite movies in general.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I presume executives at Netflix decided in-house animation was too risky or something. I suppose the bean counters have their job to do, but the profit motive will be the death of human culture. Maybe that's being too dramatic, but this is the kind of thinking that leads to stuff like endless cookie-cutter superhero sequels (I am excluding Spider-verse from this criticism).

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I worry that the live action remakes contribute to the perception of animation as a lesser art form. It's like, "we've remade this classic cartoon as a real movie!" There's also the weird issue with movies like The Lion King or Jungle Book where the new film is still mostly animation, but done in a realistic style, which I think is a bizarre choice.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I'd like to reiterate the love for Inu-Oh. I didn't know anything about it going in and it was a terrific experience.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Whether someone using one of these algorithms is really making art themselves really depends on how much control they have over what the machine produces, I think. If the person submitting the picture to the art contest spent a lot of effort coming up with the exact prompt they needed to get what they wanted, including specifying fine details, and then did additional work themselves afterwards to finish it, then maybe they're an artist. If they just entered a general concept as a prompt and looked through a million results to pick out the one they liked best I don't really know if that qualifies, even if they did polish it up afterwards.

The big problem, as others have mentioned, is that these things work by compositing together existing art without crediting their sources. The coders don't share the technical details, but until I see a more complete explanation I'm going to assume all they do is have a neural net average together thousands of images that are tagged with words and phrases from the prompt, weighting each image differently each time to produce varying results.

FilthyImp posted:

Also, the discussion of AI enabled tools reminds me of this loving exchange with Miyazaki

I'm glad you posted this, because when these things started becoming the hot new meme, his "I strongly feel that this is an insult to life itself" came to mind and while I don't agree with him completely, I think I understand where he's coming from.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I think I'm getting a better appreciation for how Duchamp's Fountain managed to be so controversial at least.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

TwoPair posted:

I feel like Cinderella is an unfortunate mix of them wanting to stay true to the name of the original story but realizing that not a lot of people use the term "cinders" anymore (generally saying "ashes" when talking about stuff like cleaning fire grates) so they were just like, "gently caress it, that's her name, done".

They should have gone with Aschenputtel

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Personally I think that looks awesome.

But, they gave Mikey braces, and because I'm cursed to think too hard about stuff that doesn't matter, I'm now very confused by the idea of secretive mutants who live in a sewer being worried about conforming to human beauty standards, or having access to an orthodontist for that matter.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Mutant turtles do, didn't you watch the trailer?

I love them recording ninja tricks for TikTok or whatever, that's absolutely what teenage ninjas would do.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

I'm late but this rules. I love the one shot where the he flips the guy and the camera moves in 90 and 180 degree bursts.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I love Dungeon Meshi so I hope it's as good as that teaser makes it look. This would be the first time I was familiar with a manga before the anime adaptation became a thing. Everything in the comic is just so well thought out.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

This rules, thank you!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Just saw Porco Rosso playing in my local theater and aw man I can't believe I didn't watch this until now, it absolutely rules.

I love Porco Rosso :allears:

I just saw The Wind Rises for the first time under the same circumstances, and I'm not sure how I feel about it. It's a very lovely film but it's still about the development of a rather infamous warplane. I haven't seen Oppenheimer yet but it was on my mind the whole time.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

I guess I'll finally get a Netflix subscription then

Also I have no idea why onimusha of all properties got an anime but I'm all for it

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Gavok posted:

I'm just waiting for the dadaist Heathcliff movie complete with Ham Helmet and Garbage Ape.

Tag line: Children Love the Meat Tank

How cute :)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I remember it having several fun villains, like Mozenrath and the Greek clockwork guy. But I also haven't watched it since middle school so I can't vouch for the quality.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

BioEnchanted posted:

Wasn't the Greek guy from Hercules' TV show? Although they did cross over.

I never really watched the Hercules show, but maybe he was on both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
The Boy and the Heron was great, I loved it. I suppose this should go without saying with a Miyazaki movie, but it was amazingly beautiful.

Surprisingly funny too, like this moment (pretty minor spoiler):

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

the parakeet slyly emoting to mahito as it sharpened its cleaver had to be the hardest i've ever laughed in an otherwise dead silent theater

The parakeets in general were very funny, in spite of what they seem to represent. I love their big googly eyes.