Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
How the gently caress does Smackdown have 4 people return in the same night and nobody cares about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Chris James 2 posted:

Dave said Bushiroad wants to offer Io and Kairi a lot of money to come back

Io's unhappy being separated from her fiance

Io's also working more for less in NXT/WWE than she did in STARDOM

Congratulations Io on your new 5 year deal

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I can't think of a single exciting Wrestlemania match combination with any of the 4 main men's and women's champions.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

IcePhoenix posted:

I can think of quite a few for three of them but the problem is that it's WWE so they either won't happen or would be terrible WWE matches

I mean, you can fantasy book all day long, but the possibility of the matches happening and them being good matches are slim to none.

Like I am just not excited to see any Brock or Fiend match based on how they book those wrestlers. What are the odds that they are going to have a Wrestlemania match with The Fiend that doesn't involve him eating a dozen finishers and the annoying red light? What are the odds of the Brock match not starting as if it was last 4 minutes of a 20 minute match with them just hitting finishers and big moves before ending in a Brock squash or a win with no buildup?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

IcePhoenix posted:

Sure but in that case why be excited for any possible match?

I am just saying I am not excited for a Brock or Fiend match based on how they've booked both of them.

Like I could fantasy book something I'd be excited about, Keith Lee winning the Rumble to challenge Brock. But that poo poo is not going to happen. Maybe if Kofi had the belt still they could have had Big E win and then be conflicted on which belt to challenge for. But they are not going to do anything good like that. It's not even like we'll have Bryan winning the Rumble

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Dacap posted:

But how could we tell with the red lights on?!

Brock will turn magenta.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Andrast posted:

Braun was over as hell. There wasn't much to not give him a title run at that point. If it works well, great we have new cool champion who is over. If doesn't work, just have him lose the title.

A person doesn't need to be an amazing wrestler to have a good title run/matches. Just book them in a way that hides their flaws.

With two world titles there is really no reason to not give somebody a world title.

Nobody is the face of the company anymore.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Hour 3 isn't doing below 2 Million though

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
From that Twitter thread

https://twitter.com/Guybrush41/status/1214680515468562432

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

DarkstarIV posted:

In not Kayfabe News....news:

https://www.wkyt.com/content/news/WWE-wants-to-rename-Corbin-Ky-after-superstar-King-Corbin-566879511.html

WWE wants to rename the town of Corbin, Kentucky to...King Corbin, Kentucky.

"WWE representatives, as well as a WWE camera crew, will be out in front of the Colonel Sanders statue in downtown Corbin Sunday afternoon, collecting signatures for a peition for the name change.

The crew will also be handing out free tickets for Sunday's show at the Corbin Arena. "

Yeah, that's not a real thing....

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I want Corbin/Roman at the Rumble to be the Chavo/Stevie Rey match at Bash at the Beach 98. Where Chavo realizes that he has another match coming up against Eddie so he just submits to Stevie Rey in the test of strength in under a minute and then does that galaxy brain thing so he doesn't have to do double duty.

Because wins and loses don't matter in WWE

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

JT Smiley posted:

Twitter might be the worst thing to happen to professional wrestling in the last decade.

Twitter is Exhibit A as to why WWE feels the need to script everything.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Eat My Fuc posted:

How is this any different than Tanahashi, the greatest ever babyface, mocking a crying Okada?

Well one of them is a woman, and some posters here are extra critical of the women

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

RealFoxy posted:

I know nobody watches Raw After the Bell but why is Corey brooding and saying “fire me, I’m already loving fired anyway”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8aoHCCW35A

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

DarkstarIV posted:

https://twitter.com/WWEJapan/status/1216970530303045632?s=19

Yet again they never put these on the main WWE pages. These are so much better than Becky's promos about how the company is holding her down.

These promos are horrible. WTF are you talking about

Really engaging stuff here...

Also...

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The language of what she is saying just feels unnatural and overly scripted to me.

I am sure that this is also the case of anything that doesn't happen on Raw is inherently seen as being good, and anything on the show is bad. Like if you flipped the promos and that was what Asuka said on Raw and they did a "what happened during the break" thing so they could put subtitles on it, people would hate it. And if Becky's promo was on the web... people would be going "Why didn't they air Becky's promo on Raw, it's so goooood!!!"

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

DeepDickPizza posted:

Those promos are good as hell. wtf

Even if the content was literally "me. you. summerslam.", the enthusiasm and expressiveness of the delivery alone makes it better than 99% of promos delivered in modern WWE.

You seriously think that promo is better than 99% of promos in WWE?

First of all, if the bar is "modern WWE promos" that's a very very low bar. But there is nothing even noteworthy about saying "I got you! It was hilarious! You are so stupid! Fool! You will never win! I am definitely winning! I am too strong!"

The content is just as important as the enthusiasm

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

karmicknight posted:

It really isn’t.

You must really love these cuck angles then

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

karmicknight posted:

I don’t watch the bad company, but content of a promo is way less important than the delivery therein: good promos aren’t written they are performed. You must really love reading plays then

Which is why it was good when Asuka would come down the ramp and start screaming in Japanese, and you didn't know what she was saying, but you just saw the intensity.

It falls apart when you have subtitles and it's really basic "You are so stupid! I am strong!" Like, that's not how people talk. It's seems as if someone gave her bullet points of what to say, and that's what they put for the subtitles.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

CVagts posted:

None of that is surprising, given the NCAA championship game.

If you want to look back 5 year ago.

The 2015 Championship game of Ohio State-Oregon got 33.9M, so down 26.2%.
Raw drew 3.9M against that game, so Raw is down 47.9%.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Gumball Gumption posted:

If you have the option to have your character be anything and you don't pick anime pirate you're making bad decisions.

There is a distinction between Pirate and Anime Pirate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHUgC1Ynckg

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I was wondering how the Women's rumble is shaping up participant wise.

2018 had 18 main roster women. 2 NXT women, and 10 people that were retired/returned.
2019 had 24 main roster women, 5 NXT US, 1 NXT UK, and no retired/returning. The NXT talent were all top tier as well for the most part (Xia Li, Kairi Sane, Candice LaRae, Kacy Catanzaro, Io Shirai, Rhea Ripley)

So how does the roster shape up this year?

Raw has 10 when you remove Asuka, Becky, Maria, Nia, Ruby, and Ronda.
Smackdown has 9 when you remove Bayley, Ember, and Mickie.

That leaves 11 people to fill out the rumble with these talent pools to dip into:
NXT US = 16 women
NXT UK = 9 women
Performance Center = 5 women (Kavita Devi, Kayden Carter, Mercedes Martinez, Santana Garret, Shotzi Blackheart). Basically people featured on NXT TV.

So they are going to need some help from NXT fleshing out those remaining 11 spots. Even if Ronda, Nia, and Ruby return, that's still 8 spots when they most they did last year was 6 form NXT.

Will be interesting to see how they do it. The rumble is always full of surprises

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

DarkstarIV posted:

Sean Ross Sapp mentioned in the Fightful Select Q&A I guess that there are no plans right now to include NXT in the Royal Rumble this year, which is...mindboggling.

Well it's impossible based on the roster, so it's clear that he has the scoops.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
pro wrestler thinks they're the best, shocking!

Hardly warrants a JC drop. Not like she said Moolah.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Aphrodite posted:

It's just replacing a Takeover that would normally be there.

isn't there a Takeover in a few weeks?

Feels like we haven't gotten a proper Takeover in quite some time.

SummerSlam/Toronto was in August, then we had WarGames where none of the titles were on the line, now we have this Worlds Colide thing, and Portland is Mid February.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Zeta Acosta posted:

its really cool how the E waters down an already dilluted product

MORE PPVS!
MORE BELTS!

WWE in 2019 had more PPVs and more Titles than when WCW and WWF combined when both existed.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Blaise330 posted:

This was around the time she was complaining about not being in the main event picture for the women's division and was trademarking her indy name and poo poo. She was probably going stir crazy being in the mid card and wanted to blow everyone away during the match to get her spot back.

That's some mental gymnastics right there...

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
One of these years they need the authority figure to cut a Promo where they say someone has to throw “30 people” over the top rope to win. Then the internet makes fun of them and goes “this loving company, they have to throw TWENTY NINE people over! What idiots!”

So the rumble comes. Dude throws #30 out, thinks he won but his music doesn’t start playing. Everyone is confused. Then the countdown starts on screen one more time. Then like.... I don’t know, some big name comes out and wins. On Monday they are like “they didn’t misspeak when they said you’d have to throw out 30 people, because I was entrant 31!”

That’s like the only rumble twist they haven’t done yet.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Dacap posted:

Women's Rumble is gonna be half returning legends and NXT women again

When I did the math on it earlier in the thread...

When you removed the people in matches (Asuka, Becky, Bayley, and Lacey) and the people injured/MIA (Maria, Nia, Ruby, Ronda, Ember, and Mickie) that only leaves 18 main roster women. They have 12 spots to fill with 21 NXT US and 9 NXT UK women. Last year they filled five spots from NXT (Xia Li, Sane, LaRae, Catanzaro, Io, and Ripley).

It will be interesting just to see who is in it and who returns

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Professor Funk posted:

Do we know if they're gonna do the NXT Championship match at Mania proper or at the Takeover right before? Maybe we'll get an NXT Rumble winner.

I don't know, how desperate are they to get more eyes on NXT on Wednesdays?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Dacap posted:

Why the hell wasn't this match saved for the Rumble?

Rey needs to suffer more defeats before he puts his mask on the line

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1219729770776317955?s=19

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Chris James 2 posted:

Rumble 2014: Batista winning was spoiled to everyone well in advance, Reigns was in the final two, and fans near-rioted because Bryan wasn't even in the match
Rumble 2015: Reigns won in the most negatively received a Rumble has ever been, that got actively worse when Bryan was eliminated barely halfway into the thing, and Reigns winning was spoiled to everyone well in advance
Rumble 2016: HHH won the Rumble and the world title at the same time, and Reigns was in the final three
Rumble 2017: Orton winning was spoiled to everyone well in advance, and Reigns was in the final two
Rumble 2018: Reigns was in the final two yet again, Nakamura actually won! Surprise, they did nothing with it and never planned to, but they sure got you. They even did the same thing with Asuka that same night (which was funnier and better, that actually deserved doing nothing with)

Maybe, like... stay off the dirt sheets for this one time of year? So many people are down on shows before they even happen because of spoilers. Just stop it. Do you actively read spoilers for Batwoman and Supergirl?

It's one thing if you have no plans to watch the event, but I don't get why wrestling is the one show where people feel the need to spoil it for themselves and then complain when its so predictable.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

MJeff posted:

Are you implying those Rumbles only sucked (particularly the death march that was 2015) if you knew what was happening in advance because you read spoilers? Because if that's not what you're implying, that's an extremely disingenuous response to that criticism.

2015 was not great, but I enjoyed all the other years and didn't think that the winners were predictable. Orton's win and HHH's recent win were surprises to me, so I don't know... I also avoid dirt sheets this time of year.

And even when 2015 was a bad year for the Rumble, I still had a lot of fun with it to a point.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

TriffTshngo posted:

Wasn't 2017 the year where absolutely nothing of note happened outside of Tye Dillinger entering at #10? Like I'm not the biggest fan of "BRING BACK ALL THE OLD STARS! GUEST APPEARANCES! SURPRISE DEBUTS! RETURN FROM INJURY! DO IT ALL AT THE RUMBLE" but you need SOMETHING. Orton winning was one of the most boring choices possible in one of the most boring Rumbles in history.

I thought it had a fun back 1/3 with Brock coming in, Goldberg eliminating him, Undertaker coming in and eliminating Goldberg. Then Reigns eliminating Undertaker. And then of course the moment of dread when it looked like Reigns was going to win again before Orton winning. Of the final four of Jericho/Wyatt/Reigns/Orton I would have prefered Jericho, but that doesn't mean that it wasn't a wild ride getting to the ending :shrug:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Io hasn't lost 1-on-1 since June, with her losing clean at Takeover 25, right? The cage match kind of was not clean with the MMA women interfering

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I don’t know how you can say that an Io loss tonight is going to bury her when a year ago Becky lost clean to Asuka and then was sky rocketed to the moon.

Wins and losses do not matter in this company one bit.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

DarkstarIV posted:

I think the difference is that Io is pretty much undefeated in singles action since turning. Wasting her first post heel turn singles loss on a random episode of NXT to build up a woman who is 100% losing at World's Collide is really dumb. On top of Toni's gimmick pretty much just being a whiny loser who can never win, it makes Io look even worse.

But on tv they haven’t made it known that she is undefeated in 6 months so it doesn’t matter. And she’s still lost matches like WarGames and multi women matches.

Also, they’ll very likely do a gently caress finish so who cares.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

DarkstarIV posted:

I think its set in stone. I don't think they would have taken the title off of Shayna or planted the seeds for a potential WM match b/w her and Becky at Survivor Series otherwise.

You’re reading too much into them scrambling to Include NXT in Survivor Series because of AEW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
It’s weird to do a NXT call up, Rumble Win, and straight to a main event of Wrestlemania when NXT draws like 700,000 viewers and the Survivor Series match bombed so bad