Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

zoux posted:

People slag off hand-holding Ubisoft games but I love those kinds of games. I hate the Japanese style of deliberately obtuse and confusing mechanics, layout, and narrative, one time when I was giving From games "another chance" I said to myself - I'm going to go through the very first level of this game, I am going to do my best to explore every nook and cranny and then I'm going to look at a walkthrough and see how much stuff I missed. And it was so much loving stuff. I was always the guy who'd get stuck in games before the internet because I'd get lost or whatever so I acknowledge this is probably a me thing, but there's a strangeness to games that are developed in Japan and localized for the West that I just don't follow intuitively. I get that it adds tons of replayability and fun for people who like to explore and find secrets and are willing to put in the time and deal with the frustration, but that is just not me. I'm a simple lad and I need a minimap and markers and arrows and quest logs and tutorials. The fact that the tutorial section in Elden Ring is completely missable really rubbed me the wrong way. And it's not like I couldn't find it, I looked over the edge and thought "oh that's a non-survivable drop" - no it's literally the place where you are supposed to learn the mechanics.

Maybe I'm overgeneralizing but every time I grab a Capcom or Square or From or game from a Japanese publisher, I end up hating it. Death Stranding is like the apotheosis of this and, again, it boggles my mind that so many people like it because it to me it is literally the worst game of all time. BUT! I understand this is me and don't begrudge the fans and in fact wish that I could like these sorts of games, because I like to play games and I feel like half the market is just not for me.

if a game has a minimap marker telling you where to go it should just get rid of the overworld map entirely and send you to linear levels like doom or mario instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

i would never turn of a woman character’s dialogue, that would be doing a misogyny

Developers need to put "misogyny" and "misandry" accessibility options into their games.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Jack Trades posted:

Always keep moving. Preferably wallrunning. While you're wallrunning you're basically invincible.
Then you wait for an opening, when it comes to the machinegun dudes their opening is when they reload, or you're behind them, and then you dash in for a kill.

Don't ever forget the ABCs.
Always Be Cwallrunning.

ty, i'll give it another shot and be a lot more deliberate about wallrunning more. I keep trying to juke them like the pistol guys and it isn't working.

My completely unoriginal Bioshock take is that Ken Levine should stick to world design, because both Rapture and Columbia were great settings with games that were, charitably, fine. The little glimpses we got of whatever space station in Judas seem like it may continue the trend.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Oxxidation posted:

after this year I just want games to shut up. stop narrating my actions. stop giving me hints. stop commenting every time I walk into a room. just shut up. shut up! shut the gently caress up!!

This goes double for racing games. gently caress all the NFSes and Forzas for putting chatty characters at every point of the game. Codemasters were my heroes for a while because Dirt Rally didn't talk at me apart from the pilot directions but then they went back to off screen VO for the sequel.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Forza Horizon 5: My abuela is familia

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

zoux posted:

People slag off hand-holding Ubisoft games but I love those kinds of games. I hate the Japanese style of deliberately obtuse and confusing mechanics, layout, and narrative, one time when I was giving From games "another chance" I said to myself - I'm going to go through the very first level of this game, I am going to do my best to explore every nook and cranny and then I'm going to look at a walkthrough and see how much stuff I missed. And it was so much loving stuff. I was always the guy who'd get stuck in games before the internet because I'd get lost or whatever so I acknowledge this is probably a me thing, but there's a strangeness to games that are developed in Japan and localized for the West that I just don't follow intuitively. I get that it adds tons of replayability and fun for people who like to explore and find secrets and are willing to put in the time and deal with the frustration, but that is just not me. I'm a simple lad and I need a minimap and markers and arrows and quest logs and tutorials. The fact that the tutorial section in Elden Ring is completely missable really rubbed me the wrong way. And it's not like I couldn't find it, I looked over the edge and thought "oh that's a non-survivable drop" - no it's literally the place where you are supposed to learn the mechanics.

Maybe I'm overgeneralizing but every time I grab a Capcom or Square or From or game from a Japanese publisher, I end up hating it. Death Stranding is like the apotheosis of this and, again, it boggles my mind that so many people like it because it to me it is literally the worst game of all time. BUT! I understand this is me and don't begrudge the fans and in fact wish that I could like these sorts of games, because I like to play games and I feel like half the market is just not for me.
This is me as well but not so much Ubisoft games. Breaking my teeth on Arkham Asylum I feel it was impossible to appreciate the extremely sub-par combat and polish found in the Assassin's Creed games, despite their massive open world advantages. I'm also slightly OCD and struggle to maintain my attention span in worlds that big.

Ghost of Tsushima is the strongest example I would use to demonstrate you point from my perspective. God of War and Horizon: ZD are filed here as well. It doesn't change your argument.

When I was a kid there were very few games to choose from so I was happy to puzzle my way through a Space Quest or search every wall in Wolfenstein 3D for a secret. I think back then I would have been delighted to explore a Bloodborne or Elden Ring.

I don't know, I only tried it once. I manhandled the Cleric Beast but Father Gascoigne broke me to the point I never wanted to play again. That's the only souls game I've tried. I later learned there was both an item that drastically helps and a shorter path to get there but having to read about it later rather than discovering it myself didn't encourage my desire to try again. Death Stranding is free on Extra+ so maybe I'll try that one and see if my thoughts align with yours that it's horrible. I probably won't, because it looks horrible to me and that's generally enough.

I think becoming an old breaks your brain and makes you impatient and less willing to learn. Gaming is more of something I put effort into now, rather than an obsession that claims me at will, so I'm less patient with it.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Jack Trades posted:

Developers need to put "misogyny" and "misandry" accessibility options into their games.

Misanthrope DLC

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

if a game has a minimap marker telling you where to go it should just get rid of the overworld map entirely and send you to linear levels like doom or mario instead

nah, a minimap marker is good to tell you where you should NOT go if you want to explore everything else first

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

ymgve posted:

nah, a minimap marker is good to tell you where you should NOT go if you want to explore everything else first
This is an absolutely critical feature in the LEGO games.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ymgve posted:

TIp 8/132 Minimaps are useful for many things.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I really liked Dead Space’s waypoint line for that reason. this is where you DON’T want to go if you’re still looking for goodies

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

I really liked Dead Space’s waypoint line for that reason. this is where you DON’T want to go if you’re still looking for goodies

:emptyquote:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the elden ring open world is good! i hate open world games and ER's open world is fun to explore. you just pick a direction and go and see some cool stuff. each region has a general level range so you usually know if you're capable of handling what's around you and the bosses you encounter.

I just didn't like the reused bosses and repetitive catacomb/tunnel dungeons, which is a whole other thing. but the world itself is cool and creative and worth checking out. it's not a game where you even need a waypoint marker (even though the sites of grace point you in a direction) because the majority of the game is optional. just do what you feel like. you don't need to defeat all the Big Bads even, just two are needed to get into the royal capital that kicks off the back half of the game. you don't even have to fight Margit!! there's a hidden path that goes around that castle. it's cool!!

it's like if breath of the wild's open world was actually interesting (and no weapon degradation!)

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

New humblebundles

Runescape:path to adventures (it's a mmorpg one month pass + cosmetics )
https://www.humblebundle.com/games/runescape-paths-to-adventure-bundle?partner=nintendeal

$8 for everything

Tactians Bundle
https://www.humblebundle.com/games/tacticians-bundle?partner=nintendeal
-Gears Tactics
-Red Solstic 2:Survivors
-Dark Deity
-Star renegades
-John Wick Hexed
-Warhammer 40,000;Mechanicus
-Phantom Doctrine
-Hard West

Tiers:1 for $1/3 for $11.08/12 for all items.

New on fanatical:
Rippee Bundle
https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/ripper-bundle
-Ghost 1.0
-Stirring Aybss
-Scarlett Tower
-Blood and Zombies
-Our world is ended
-One more island
For $3.99

Tier two includes ($6.99)
Gamedec:Definitive edition

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

it's like if breath of the wild's open world was actually interesting (and no weapon degradation!)

Elden Ring but you can climb everything

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Boxman posted:

My completely unoriginal Bioshock take is that Ken Levine should stick to world design, because both Rapture and Columbia were great settings with games that were, charitably, fine. The little glimpses we got of whatever space station in Judas seem like it may continue the trend.

Wacky animatronics or robotic/biotic servants - Check
Old-timey song covers - Check
Ruined environment/society or one that is on the brink of collapse - Check
Propaganda posters that reinforce the villain's ideology - Check
Main character is stuck while an NPC narrates poo poo at them right to their face, maybe through cracked glass or bars - Check
Stuff that mutilates your hand and gives you powers - Check
Vending machines - Didn't see them but almost certainly
Putting hands in front of face during climactic cutscenes - Check
Catchy tagline - Check
Biblical references - Check
Some kind of timeline fuckery/twist - Considering nearly everything else checks out and the game is allegedly designed around replayability...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Terminally Bored posted:

Nickelback sold a lot of records, too.

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

This is such a dumb comparison.

Terminally Bored posted:

Why? Bioshock is a watered down System Shock that retreads all of its story beats. It simplified all the stuff that made SS engrossing while focusing on visuals (which were cool, admittedly).

It made a ton of money but using that as an argument is as silly as calling the Forbes 100 people the smartest in the world.
I don't think Chad Kroeger has a history of sacking his entire band so he can go write one draft of a Logan's Run reboot that never gets made, so that's where the comparison falls apart.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

K8.0 posted:

You're not missing anything, there are just a lot of people who suck at video games but can feel like they're "getting good" when they eventually memorize a bunch of ridiculously delayed timings, deliberately deceptive animations, and disjointed hitboxes.

absolutely seething as you wrote this lol

AfricanBootyShine posted:

because you don't have a clear path of progression

the game very literally points you in the direction of pure progression with a giant glowing arrow.

zoux posted:

clinical level inability to enjoy things. brain absolutely shattered by dog tier trash. very sad.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
following the giant glowing arrow in elden ring sucks, go south and get an anchor to beat poo poo with instead

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I'm just waiting to see if the nickelback defender pops off

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So I've been playing Entropy Zero 2, a very good HL2 mod where you play as a combine. Check it out, it's free so long as you own the games. Its predecessor is just "OK" but it is pretty short so you might as well. Anyway, it got me thinking: when the inevitable Half Life 2 sequel comes out, how "modern" do you think/want it to be? From the shooting (iron sights? weapon limit? god forbid, leveled loot?) to the overall gameplay structure (open world? metroidvania? c r a f t i n g ?), what are your thoughts?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

[edit] HL2+1? My wish is 100% boomer shooter, DUSK and Cruelty Squad have spoiled me

I am glad that there are games for every kind of taste.

Me? My favourite is playing really obscure games and having to figure out everything on my own because the only source for actual information is a dead Discord where most users speak a pidgin Russo-Japanese dialect native to that particular gaming community of four weirdos and a ghost. Not being ironic here, I love that poo poo, makes me feel like a kid exploring something. I guess I could work on my self-control and not look up solutions/guides for more mainstream titles when I get frustrated with them.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Mordja posted:

So I've been playing Entropy Zero 2, a very good HL2 mod where you play as a combine. Check it out, it's free so long as you own the games. Its predecessor is just "OK" but it is pretty short so you might as well. Anyway, it got me thinking: when the inevitable Half Life 2 sequel comes out, how "modern" do you think/want it to be? From the shooting (iron sights? weapon limit? god forbid, leveled loot?) to the overall gameplay structure (open world? metroidvania? c r a f t i n g ?), what are your thoughts?

i think it should be exactly like half life 2 episode two but longer and with better graphics and more cool poo poo happening

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
It's funny reading this thread's current appreciation of Prey (2017) because so many folks were truly disappointed in that game when it came out. Hated the broken state it shipped in, hated the side quests and characters, hated the combat, hated the player movement, hated the lack of enemy variety, hated the plot, hated the ending. It was incessant.

Game slapped tho

SA really is the land of contrasts.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Propaganda Hour posted:

It's funny reading this thread's current appreciation of Prey (2017) because so many folks were truly disappointed in that game when it came out. Hated the broken state it shipped in, hated the side quests and characters, hated the combat, hated the player movement, hated the lack of enemy variety, hated the plot, hated the ending. It was incessant.

Game slapped tho

SA really is the land of contrasts.

Really? Do you have a link? I don't remember that, the title of the thread was THEY MADE A THIRD SYSTEM SHOCK AND CALLED IT PREY iirc

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
A lot of people really hated the ending (I am not one of them) and some people were mad that they made the fun powers give you the "bad ending" if you take them. I don't think I remember anyone complaining about the gameplay.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Bad endings are practically an imm-sim tradition and Prey's was fine anyways. Also SA loved Prey except for the bugs on release

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's a good ending no matter what you do and it genuinely means the same thing as the other endings. Let's have another

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Those were not my exact issues, but I did find Prey to be extraordinarily overrated.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I didn't take any Typhon powers on my first run (except the one you're allowed to without affecting anything I think) and I actually think it worked better that way. It got very tense at times. I did a victory lap playthrough with full Typhon powers immediately after and it took like a quarter of the time and I was just making GBS threads on everything by the end. The Typhon stuff would have made a good NG+ unlock I think.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

John Murdoch posted:

Those were not my exact issues, but I did find Prey to be extraordinarily overrated.

It wasn't my thing either. But I do really love Death Stranding.

Perhaps different people wish for different things in a game! I dunno if I like that. Suspicious.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Volte posted:

A lot of people really hated the ending (I am not one of them) and some people were mad that they made the fun powers give you the "bad ending" if you take them. I don't think I remember anyone complaining about the gameplay.

taking powers only affects the ending a tiny bit, it's mostly quest choices

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 10, 2022

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The 7th Guest posted:

ftfy, er's open world is superfluous n dull, botw 's is sublime

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

They're both good

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

They're both good

No!!!!!!! Only one thing can be good at a time in this fd up world... its good or be bad

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

They're both good

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think you're posting in the wrong forum if you like video games, buddy,

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I love how either option in the final choice of Prey 2017 makes perfect sense if you buy into the logic of the last twist.

Either you decide to forgive them for all the horrible things they've done because it means giving humanity a second chance which is a good ending, sure. Or you can decide that actually gently caress you assholes in particular, I've only been capable of parsing human values and emotions for like a day and already I'm so incredibly disgusted by everything you've done to humanity that I'm going to kill all of you and then myself. Or maybe I'll choose to live as a coffee cup mimic for a decade just out of spite.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I only made it about halfway through Prey before quitting, same with Deathloop, and in both cases it was because they (Prey moreso than Deathloop) gave me mild motion sickness that made the games feel increasingly like a chore the longer I played. I really liked aspects of both Prey and Deathloop, but like seemingly everyone else I felt like Deathloop kind of fell apart after the possibilities narrowed down and the novelty wore off, so I don't think I would have finished that one even aside from the motion sickness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

RBA Starblade posted:

Dragon's Dogma 2 when