Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

For the last week or so, when I use my Steam Link it launches with my library filtered to "Remote Play Optimised" games, which doesn't include what I want to play. I can't find anything in the Link or Big Picture options to stop this behaviour. It's a very minor annoyance but I'd like to disable it if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Yeah, I found it though. On the Steam Link go to settings, streaming, press Y for advanced options and then change the default view to "Big Picture". Thanks for forcing on an option I didn't want or need and burying the control to turn it off in a submenu I didn't know existed valve

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

On a related note, what's a good way to do a friends only Jackbox stream? I think at least one person in every household has a Steam account if that helps

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Thanks to the goons who suggested discord as a good way to play Jackbox with friends, we had a great time even on a range of terrible internet connections.

Are there any other games that support that kind of multiplayer? We're playing across several households (most of which have two people playing) and the only common devices are access to at least one PC or laptop in each household, and one mobile device per person. We all like playing board games together although most of the group aren't especially into video games.

Edit: there's 12 of us although we're happy to rotate in and out for something round based like Jackbox

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Mar 23, 2020

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Oh poo poo we love Codenames. If I can get an online version working for our group that'd be incredible. I'll look into it, thanks!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

There's definitely more than a hint of desperation in that tweet but there's also a bit of a point. GTAV hasn't been consistently in the most played list because people are trying to find all the stunt jumps.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Spoiled myself on the Alyx ending because the likelihood of me getting into VR gaming in the next decade is very low.

Holy poo poo that's a lazy cop out from Ep2's ending

I guess HL3 is going to be in VR as well then

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I've been owned

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I have a friend who can't use VR due to eye issues (not sure on the details) who's also a huge Half Life fan. He's kind of bummed that one of his favourite series is leaving him behind.

I'm sure I'll take the plunge on VR when I have the time, money and space to dedicate to it but right now I have a toddler. Maybe in 2035?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Like I say, I don't know the specifics. He does have to swap between multiple sets of glasses and gets migraines if his prescription is off so I assume that has something to do with it.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

DrNutt posted:

Does anybody out there want the RE2 item unlocks from the Capcom Humble Bundle? I already have the game on Xbone and I don't plan on double dipping. Up for grabs for anyone who wants it, but I'd rather it get taken by someone who wants it than a lurker so quote my post if it calls to you.

I love RE2 but am very unlikely to get good enough to do S+ runs, so if you still have it I'd love to do a run through with the secret weapons on.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Not sure how many people here use steamgriddb to fill in gaps in their library art, but it sounds like the site is in trouble:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Into the Breach. 2D graphics and turn based so framerate doesn't matter.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

There's a GDC relief fundraiser kicking off on Twitch in a few minutes. You can pay what you want for 167 (!!!) indie games / things. Most of them are little jam games (including a number of toilet paper hoarding sims) but there's a few bigger titles like Nuclear Throne if you somehow don't have that yet.

https://itch.io/b/471/gdc-relief-bundle

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

What's the class where you can set yourself on fire and somersault into monsters' faces? Because that one owns.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Was stat progression especially meaningful in the grand scheme of things? I remember most things melting quickly enough with the right skills.

If there was going to be a sequel or spiritual successor I'd definitely want it to include something along the lines of Bitterblack Isle. In fact I'd play a whole game that was just spelunking trips into deeper and deeper dungeons to fight weird monsters and collect forgotten treasures. Really scratch that Gauntlet itch.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Lol I had to go through about four different confirmation screens to pause my subscription

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 3, 2020

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

The best part of Let It Die is Uncle Death.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

sebmojo posted:

Yeah, it's amazing. Everything is so crunchy, the writing is hilarious and the puzzles are simple but satisfying. Definitely one to wishlist.

I enjoyed Gunpoint well enough but something in Heat Signature just kind of grabbed me and would not let go. I loved the kind of interlocking systems based nonsense you could execute in that game and it looks like Tactical Breach Wizards is going for the same feel by way of Into the Breach?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Don't forget Timesplitters (which did the twin stick control as well a solid year before Halo came out)

I think the earliest FPS I remember which did left stick movement and right stick aiming was an optional control scheme for Quake 2 on the PS1. It felt so alien back then!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

John Murdoch posted:

Famously the PS1 Aliens shooter was docked points in reviews for its decision to use such a terrible and unorthodox control scheme.

I found the review in question: https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/alien-resurrection-review/1900-2637344/

quote:

The game's control setup is its most terrifying element. The left analog stick moves you forward, back, and strafes right and left, while the right analog stick turns you and can be used to look up and down. Too often, you'll turn to face a foe and find that your weapon is aimed at the floor or ceiling while the alien gleefully hacks away at your midsection. Add to the mix a few other head scratchers - such as how the triangle button controls item and health use - and you'll be wondering how Sony let this get by without requesting a few different control configuration options.

Lol

quote:

Fans of console first-person shooters or the Alien film series will probably be better off waiting for Fox's recently announced Aliens: Colonial Marines for the PlayStation 2. While no concrete details have been announced for the game yet, this is one instance where the unknown is preferable to the devil you know.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

ymgve posted:

One reason Dead Cells feels so good is that it "cheats" - if your jump is off by a few pixels or you press the jump button a few frames too late, they just pretend you jumped perfectly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv5NwboDDhk

Celeste cheats like hell in your favour as well. Apparently the industry term for a jump still registering a couple of pixels off the edge is "coyote time".

E: Just found the tweet thread I was thinking of

https://twitter.com/MattThorson/status/1238338574220546049?s=19

Party Boat fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 8, 2020

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

So I have secure employment (for now) and I'm actually saving money due to no transport costs / not eating out. Talk me out of getting an Xbox Elite Controller instead of the standard one to replace my old 360 pad with drifty sticks

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Arkham Asylum really honed that style of combat with the combo meter and the way you get quicker and quicker (and get greater range) as you build it, until you're a thug-seeking missile flying across the arena with every bottom press.

Assassin's Creed was a 100% defensive game for me (at least in its first few outings). Counters were just so powerful that hanging back and countering hits was the best way to play. The pressure to keep Batman's combo meter alive meant you had to be more aggressive and throw in counters as needed. It seems like a small change but it makes a significant difference to how you approach combat.

I might be getting an Elite 2 controller. I'm more time poor than anything right now so my justification is that I'm making my limited gaming time as good as possible.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Oh that person was me. I don't remember much about AC1 other than it having a great idea that was let down by repetitive missions.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Azran posted:

Doom Eternal is very, very fun but whenever a Marauder appears I wish I was playing 2016 instead.

The most fun to be had from marauders is when they turn up in the middle of a big fight and you need to start taking out everything else while constantly staying one step ahead of them. Unfortunately once everything else is dead you need to take care of the marauder and the counter routine is just dull. Plus a good chunk of the game's marauders appear basically on their own and in uninteresting surroundings.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I'm not sure I'd want a Legacy of Kain revival without Amy Hennig on writing duty to be honest.

I replayed the whole series about a year ago (although I skipped Blood Omen 2 because of the many issues getting it working on a modern PC - I think I would have been better emulating a console version) and while the plot and voice acting are fantastic, Blood Omen 1 suffers hugely from its legacy as a PS1 game with constantly having to read data from the disc. The other games have early 3D open world issues to varying extents with controls and camera (the water level in SR1 was bad even by the standards of the time). It was worth it for the plot but I definitely couldn't recommend it to someone that didn't have nostalgia for the series.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Oh yeah don't worry, I got my fill of it back when it was released.

Did they ever explain how Vorador was alive in that time?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

John Lee posted:

"Well, got THAT out of my system. Entirely."

But introduced something else, it seems

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

I went back to Enter the Gungeon a couple of days ago after bouncing off it hard when I first bought it and I guess something clicked because I've gone from rarely getting past the first chamber and dying instantly to the second chamber's boss to regularly reaching chambers 3 and 4 (and 5 once thanks to lucky drops that melted everything). I'm playing on controller because I feel like I can control my mobility easier that way and the auto aim is generous enough that I don't miss using a mouse.

Anything I should know as I dig deeper in? Is Exit the Gungeon any good?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

PoultryGeist posted:

What happens when you have a player that absolutely hates leaving scrap/resources/research items behind when exploring? You get The Grinder:

One thing that it took me shamefully long to realise is that you can use packagers to make those big research items fit into your backpack.

Mrs Boat and I have been playing this on and off for a while now and we're almost at the point where the only thing left to do make more and more ridiculous vehicles to fling ourselves to our deaths in. My only criticism is that digging to the centre of planets is pretty dull.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

PoultryGeist posted:

I too took a while to figure that out, but after that I would invariably run out of packagers so I left myself some space for a few more full sized items. Amusingly enough, I think that I've configured the 'best' version of The Grinder just in time for the Sylva research items to not really be worth it anymore. I need to figure out if its easier to move a rovertrain to a different planet or transport the materials and build onsite.

Sylvan research is kind of bad beyond your first foothold. When you get your first ship it's not a bad idea to head to an outer planet with some packagers so you can bring back research items that reliably give four figure amounts of bytes, which gets you over the initial research hump. Glacio is ideal because it also has iron and the local plants aren't too aggressive.

It depends how much of a base you want to set up I guess, and how much space The Grinder's components take up when packaged. We got to end game on an earlier lost save and our planet-solving vehicle on that was a large rover with a max level drill and a paver on the front, powered by an RTG (and pulling a trailer of batteries when we were activating monoliths). It melted through mountains and made bridges over ravines. When we had to ship it out we usually did a combination of shipping the tough to make parts like the drill and RTG and establishing a small base to make the rest, reasoning that we'd ultimately want at least one of them on every planet. We'll have to try the mobile scrapper for cleaning up all the trash that's around the place.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Hades is absolutely excellent. If you liked the combat of Bastion you're in for a treat.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Kennel posted:

Pretty evil to put GK games there in a reverse order.

(Unlike most of Sierra's adventure games they are legit good)

Is GK3 the one with the much-criticised cat hair moustache puzzle?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Mrs Boat and I tried out Moon Hunters last night after getting it in a humble bundle ages ago. It's a top down action RPG reminiscent of Gauntlet, but with procedurally generated story beats woven throughout. You'll frequently be presented with an either / or option such as whether to kill or nurture an animal with a portentous birthmark. These questions don't seem to have "right" or "wrong" answers but instead give you different stat increases or qualities such as Brave, Patient or Foolish that can gate different interactions in towns and some of the longer term upgrades that persist across playthroughs.

Unfortunately while we really liked the world and story, the gameplay in action stages was pretty dull and repetitive. Each "game" is three action stages followed by a boss after which your characters are retired and their adventures become part of the world's mythology. The idea of repeating that over and over didn't appeal, so unless it really starts to open up as more of the long term upgrades unlock we might not be playing much more of it.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

6 is one that my group returns to pretty frequently. Trivia Murder Party 2 is a fun quick quiz, Push the Button is a smart hidden role game, and Joke Boat is like standup comedy quiplash which is better than it sounds once everyone's loosened up a bit.

3 has Tee KO which takes a lot of set up but eventually you will be rewarded with the funniest poo poo you ever saw

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

A warning about Tee KO: it is an expensive game because it will present you with unwise purchasing decisions when you're three sheets to the wind.

For example I'm now the proud owner of this:

?????

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Both the bumpers turn right? What is this, a plane for Derek Zoolander?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Lone Goat posted:

Hey sorry I don't check this thread that often but here is the cool bird, apologies for the delay.

I only dip in and out of this thread so I'm very happy I got to see the cool bird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

LionEyez posted:

Hey so since this is the defacto all pc gaming thread - how do you guys deal with gaming addiction rearing up?

Covid is great and all. I can finally live like the hermit I always was, but something tells me there's more to life than gaming. How do you guys manage the hours spent on this hobby vs the rest of life?

There's a tiny person in my house and if I don't feed him and clean him and play with him he yells really loudly and I go to jail