Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

gently caress yes. I put so much time into this game when I was like fifteen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

Hub Cat posted:

Lucifer Within Us is out and I like the cases and the setting, but it is really short. Only three cases/levels the first being the demo level.
The second level is a little more complex but feels like kind of a hard sell at this price point.

Oof, that's what I was worried about when I saw it was only three cases. Guess I'll wait for a sale.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

Artelier posted:

I actually didn't play Ori 1 and picked up Ori 2 blind so I don't know how it compares!

I beat Ori 1 a couple of years ago, and I remember being kind of blindsided by how sad the last cutscene was. As good as Ori 2 seemed from the hour or so I put into it through Gamepass, I'm not sure I'm down for more of that, but potentially worse.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
This may not be the best place to mention it since it's not on Steam (anymore) but Red Candle Games is selling Devotion through their own storefront right now. I bought it the second I saw it was available again a few days ago, but didn't really get a chance to dig into it until tonight, and it is really great so far. There's only been one jump scare so far, and it happens in the first few minutes, almost like they're trying to get it out of the way so they can focus on unsettling/upsetting stuff instead-- I'm only about an hour in though, so for all I know it's all jump scares from here on out. Definitely worth checking out, even if you're normally a massive wimp when it comes to horror games, like I tend to be.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

Mordja posted:

It's sorta like an Amnesia game, right? First-person horror puzzles?

Pretty light puzzling so far, yeah. It's close to being a walking sim-- the section I just completed before I stopped for the night felt like it was influenced by What Remains of Edith Finch and was very neat.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

Mordja posted:

I'd hoped it was exactly what I thought it was and I wasn't disappointed.

Home Movies is so loving great.

DON'T KILL CHILDREN, DON'T RUN 'EM OVER / LET THEM LIVE THEIR LIVES, LET THEM GET OLDER

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

ymgve posted:

Is it a branching storyline where the same choices will give the same outcome every time, or does it have some random elements?

The former. I spent a few hours with it yesterday, and it's neat, but I found it to get repetitive before too long, so I'd suggest waiting for it to drop to under ten bucks in a sale. There's a lot less variety to it than there is in 80 Days.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
Excited to try Inscryption-- it's Daniel Mullins' (pony island, the hex) new game and it looks weird, which I'm sure will come as a shock to anyone who has played his previous games.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

StrixNebulosa posted:

I own it but haven't played it yet, to my shame.

It's great, and weird. I liked the first one too, but it's not necessary to have played it to play the second game. There's a couple of "oh poo poo, that's cool" moments that you'll miss out on, but whether that's worth playing a decent but kind of clunky Zelda clone for is debatable.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

Infinity Gaia posted:

Man that Inscryption demo really sold me on the game. Glad it's coming out so soon, too!

Yeah, I really liked Pony Island and The Hex, so it only took me about five minutes of playing the demo to start mashing the purchase button.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

Begemot posted:

Death's Door is good, a fun Zelda clone with a sense of humor. It's not as wide-open as LttP, but the balance of puzzles and combat is similar.

Saying it has a sense of humor might be overselling that aspect of it-- there's a few funny moments, but it's not chock full of jokes, or anything. It is a really well-crafted isometric Zelda-esque game that's difficult without being punishing, is paced really well, and has a really interesting setting and story.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
Really looking forward to trying Inscryption in a few hours when I get home. Daniel Mullins Games hasn't done me wrong yet!

Been playing Golf Club: Wasteland over the last day or so, and it is really neat. It's a 2-D golf game set on post-apocalyptic Earth, and you control the hero who played a pivotal role in getting what's left of humanity to safety on Mars and are now playing a few relaxing holes of golf amongst the wreckage and ruins left behind. The gameplay is pretty straightforward, like a trickier Desert Golfing, but the levels are neatly designed, and the bits of story explaining your backstory that pop up between levels are well-told. What really sets it apart from other indie golfing games is the soundtrack. There's a radio station that plays as you golf, Radio Nostalgia From Mars, and it's loving excellent. It's presented as a radio show that plays a combination of a diverse mix of cool music, stories recorded by other survivors, and commentary from the host that is soothing in tone but increasingly unsettling in message as you start to get a bigger picture of what's happened and what life is like now for everyone. It is very cool.

The game seems like it might be pretty short-- I've put a couple of hours in and I'm about two-thirds of the way through the levels, but it's been a really neat experience so far and it's probably going to be in my top ten of the year unless it shits the bed in the last third. It's full price (ten bucks) right now on Steam, but it's on sale on the Epic Game Store for 25% off, and it's something I'd recommend at either price.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

LLSix posted:

Goons seems really excited about Wildermyth when it came out but I haven’t seen much talk about it lately. Did it turn out to not be as good as initial impressions?

I liked it a lot through the end of the second campaign (out of five), played through the third and felt like i had gotten as much out of it as I was going to. Still, that was about twenty hours of playtime, and I'd recommend it even though I got burnt out before I'd seen everything that came with the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug

ZearothK posted:

I'd strongly recommend you come back to do the 4th and 5th campaigns when you feel less burnt out, they are waaay better than the first three. Probably a consequence of EA development and the first ones being made while they were still refining game mechanics.

That is good to know-- thanks!