Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

MonkeyforaHead posted:

SSD's still get you about 1/8th of the storage for the same relative price and between having 500 GB that perform like 15% faster or having a slower 4 TB, given the size of games these days I'm more inclined towards the latter.

Incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Thank you for reminding me about the grim dark majesty that is Dawn of War 1. I need to replay it

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

The gameplay is really good. The voice acting and characterization is also great, with a few characters being downright excellent. The only character I don't actually care for is the main protagonist. "eh blimey m8, here I go deadpan dying again"

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread for this but does anyone have a recommendation for a good keyboard? I've been using a Logitech k740 for the last few years but the w key is going out so its a good time to try something new. I'm seeing a bunch of very inexpensive mechanical keyboards these days, are they garbage or are they just finally not overpriced? And are they any good for games? Or is there some other keyboard that would be a good option? I would like something that has a nice responsive feel and is pleasant type on and, ideally, isn't packed full of psychedelic rave lighting

Mechanical keyboards can be a bit of a rabbit hole, and it kind of depends on what you want out of them and your price point that dictates what’s ideal for you. I would recommend buying off Amazon and being willing to take advantage of their return policy if you find one doesn’t work for you.

If you don’t like clicking noises or lots of resistance on the key press, then linear switches may be for you. I use steel series apex pro and couldn’t be happier.

https://steelseries.com/gaming-keyboards/apex-pro-tkl

I prefer the tkl after trying it, but there is also a full form factor. You can turn the raver poo poo off or play around with it and maybe find something you like.

If you just want a sturdier keyboard more in the $50 range, there’s a couple different websites and you tubers that have done roundup reviews of the best mechanical keyboards around or under that price point

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

nordichammer posted:

What do you think some of the best rogue likes are?

Thanks for the nice summary of roguelikes, I’m always looking for another one to try and appreciate hearing other people’s thoughts.

I like nuclear throne a lot. It’s on the punishing side with ammo but as your aim improves and you get comfortable with swapping weapons out, it becomes less of a problem. As a person who is bad at video games, I’ve made it to the throne before but never beaten it. I think the difficulty of this game makes it one of the more rewarding ones to play

If you like the core gameplay of Risk of Rain 2, you may want to look up some of their artifacts. There’s one that gives a lot more agency to your build, and another that changes how you get upgrades. One or both of those can change the style of the game enough to potentially breathe a lot of new life into it.

As for things not in your list, I got Nova Drift on sale the other day and am really enjoying it. It’s like Asteroids on steroids with lots of character, a ton of ship building choices, and enough enemy diversity to be a fun, just one more try kind of game.

Comedy option is Barony. It’s Nethack in first person and real-time. Brutally hard, at least for my friends and I, but you can play it with up to 4 people

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Speaking of the EGS sale, Outer Wilds is a trifling $5 with the coupon applied. Anyone who isn't completely averse to using that storefront should look at picking it up if they haven't already. This goes double if you're into non-linear exploration, discovery and deciphering the mysteries of the universe.

Obviously, nothing is for everyone, but this is different enough that I think almost everyone should give it a try and see if it's for them. It was definitely for me. It is one of the best games I've ever played and I thought about it for a week after beating it. Go in blind as much as possible.

That's a steal. I went into Outer Wilds not knowing what to expect, and boy did it deliver

I'm tempted to pick up Star Wars Squadrons, since it's down to $14 with the coupon and I loved Tie Fighter as a kid. However, I couldn't really get into Elite Dangerous, how comparable are they?

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

BrianRx posted:

Is there a secret to enjoying the more abstract rouguelikes/lites? I "enjoy" Unreal World, but my patience with it is stretched quite a bit by the interface and presentation. The core idea and systems are great, though. Caves of Qud appeals to me for the same reasons, but I'm really turned off by having to remember keyboard commands for every little thing when a mouse based UI would be so much simpler. I also really do not like the ascii or tile art styles, which don't really have a reason to exist in 2020. Is there something like Rimworld, in the sense that it takes inspiration from Dwarf Fortress and simplifies but improves the presentation, out there?

There’s a free rogue like called Powder that tries to distill the genre into something a little more intuitive and better looking. I haven’t played it for years but it was one of my favorites

http://www.zincland.com/powder/index.php?pagename=about

Looks like there’s an iOS version now too, I might give it a go

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

If someone at valve cared about this, they could add an extra verification step for new login origins, especially when they’re hundreds or thousands of miles away from where the user was just logged in

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Imagined posted:

This isn't directly Steam related but since this thread unofficially doubles as the general PC gaming chat I thought I'd ask here.

I want new dedicated headphones to leave at my PC that must:

- Have a mic
- Work easily with streaming software (so, not Bluetooth)
- Either have a transparent mode or are open back, so I can still hear my family around me fairly well

Would also be nice if:

- Wireless (but not Bluetooth) or
- USB instead of 3.5mm
- Had a cradle

Amazon search is being supremely useless, showing me a bunch of either Bluetooth earbuds, or regular closed back options.

These Sennheisers are the only ones I've found so far that are even close, but I'm still hoping to find either USB or some proprietary wireless solution.

Those are what I use, since I also need to hear family around me, and love them. the sound is great and they’re comfortable

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Trickyblackjack posted:

After smashing a peaceful animal that was just chillin in the face with a body part of another animal, I'm pretty convinced the title of that series doesn't refer to "hunter of monsters" but "hunter that is a monster".

I hurt a benign animal so badly it tried to flee to its den for safety. My mission was still to hunt it down like the Terminator and exterminate it at any cost

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Some goon with a blurry name just wanted to vote for his team. Rip

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

For sure. Some of the most bitter and negative reviews are from people who have just played the game to death

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Azran posted:

https://twitter.com/MOOMANiBE/status/1381769755015618566

lmao why yes, fixing the game people already paid for is a cash grab, yes

Up is down, black is white, gamers are smart

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

graventy posted:

I promise the next time I post keys I will set up elaborate, puzzles and codes so that no ne'er-do-well acquires them.

Steamgifts is great but it takes a heck of a lot more work than I'm willing to put into 15 keys I do not care about.

Ideally I guess I would use PMs, but, again, effort. We'll see if I've learned anything in two weeks when I buy another dumb bundle!

It’s nice of you to be sharing, and yeah, don’t let it feel like a job

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

I’ve been playing on an iPad via steamlink lately, and enjoying slower paced things like slay the spire and loop hero. Are there any steam sale recommendations with relatively simple controls?

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

drat Dirty Ape posted:

:hfive:

I am still debating sekiro vs nioh 2 despite many excellent goon recommendations and comparisons on the subject a few days ago. And now the weekend is almost over and my time to actually play games will be gone for another week.

Maybe just flip a coin and buy one. Play for a bit and if you don’t love it within the first two hours, request a refund

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Stux posted:

yeah ill buy it. buy it a spot in my retroarch library that is and also never play it

:rackem:

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

victrix posted:

Crud, I forgot to make my yearly effortpost on Warlock 2

I'll make an :effort: post instead

Warlock 2 is a turn based fantasy wargame where you play a plane traveling archmage, build a bunch of cities to churn out a bunch of units, travel between dimensions and mash them into each other, it is fun. It is not Civ. It looks like it. It is not. It's a hex based wargame, not a peaceful empire simulator.

Renaissance Mod for Warlock 2 is the product of an absolute madman that overhauls every aspect of the game, adds new races, new units, rebalances everything, fixes as many bugs as possible, increases challenge, and more.

This is the mod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=493257789

This is Warlock 2 - you need all the DLC to use the mod, which is why it's best to get this during a steam sale

https://store.steampowered.com/app/205990/Warlock_2_The_Exiled/

And there we go, that's my yearly beer and pretzels wargame recommendation, enjoy, or don't, I'm not your dad.

I’ve been pining for a Civ IV fall from heaven mod replacement, for about a decade. This looks interesting

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Posting on the jeff k page :c00lbutt:

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Last time they did that wasn't it just a limiter in the driver that miners cracked in a month or so

A few days after making the announcement they would be doing this, they accidentally released the dev version of the firmware that isn’t limited 🤡. I dont think firmware flashing will be a significant deterrent, but would happily be proven wrong

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Buller posted:

There is more to a game than who the devs are :).

Also, you don’t have to don’t financially support assholes :3:

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Nordick posted:

So some ex Arkane people are making a weird west game, inventively called Weird West.

https://www.ign.com/articles/weird-west-first-look-preview-ex-dishonored-prey-devs-latest-is-a-delightfully-odd-western

It's apparently an im-sim disguising as a top-down ARPG and I am extremely wishlisting it.

Hell yes

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

7th Guest, thank you for your service

:captainpop:

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

:popeye: Well now! That was an amusing way to reveal the delay, the best way in fact.

Agreed. Now I’m interested

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

resistentialism posted:

A goon posted these links in the roguelike thread. Fun little deconstruction on dungeons of dredmor (so far), if you're interested

https://www.dgbaumgart.com/articles/memories_of_dredmor1.html
https://www.dgbaumgart.com/articles/memories_of_dredmor2.html

Awesome reads! I’m looking forward to part 3

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

The shadow run Xbox 360 game that launched mid 2000s as multiplayer only was extremely fun. I’d kill for a good single player campaign in that engine.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

Please send help I can't stop playing the Magister!

It's currently in the Deckbuilder Bundle for 6.49$ and I'm begging you, check this out. It's so weird and good.

This writeup has me intrigued!

Have you tried playing this with just a regular controller? The listing says partial controller support, but that’s pretty vague. I typically only play over Steamlink with a controller nowadays, so would like to know before I pull the trigger

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

I am going through unredeemed Humble Bundle junk, of which I have an embarrassing amount.

Took Sleepy Dogs, thanks!

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

I haven't, give me half an hour (and let me put Hades down long enough to do this)

e: Okay so it works - you can swap through selectible things with the sticks - but it feels a little awkward as you can't click-click-click through things. You might like it better as you're not used to mouse controls? Helps that everything is turn-based, there's no QTEs or anything requiring reflexes.

e2: holy poo poo I didn't know the Inn could be attacked by bandits when you first arrive, that's new!

Awesome, thank you!

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Pwnstar posted:

Diablo 3 is amazing because there are multiple story scenes that seem purposely designed to infuriate the player.

I prefer stories that subvert expectations, like Deckard Cain being killed by a butterfly demon in the first minutes of his third game

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Mordja posted:

Mods, namechange plz

“edgiest thing i remember” is a few characters too long. Shame

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

pentyne posted:

The raised like $20 million for Broken Age then spent wildly on building a studio and hired super famous people to VA.

Big brain plays by the chief job creator

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

goferchan posted:

You can change your Steam name pretty easily

Well maybe you can…

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Wiltsghost posted:

S-Tier Poster

The 7th Guest

e: seriously, thank you for all the writeups you do

Wow, my tier list matches yours exactly! What are the odds?

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Mordja posted:

CHVRCHΞS

Its got what SEO craves

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Tiny Timbs posted:

my weakness is the same but i guess not in the same way

:monocle:

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Anonymous Robot posted:

Just played the demo for Creeper World 4 and it rocks. Someone made a game out of what I used to do for fun in Red Alert 2, crawling across the map with only defensive turrets. I’m not typically a tower defense fan, but this is a fun spin.

However, I’m wondering if anyone that’s played They Are Billions can offer a comparison? That game looks similar-ish and interesting too, but I don’t think it has a demo.

I’d recommend trialling They Are Billions if it looks interesting to you. You’ll know in less than two hours if you like it or not.

Personally, it was kind of fun, and I certainly wanted to like it, but found it requiring more microing than what I was looking for. There are already RTSs filling that niche

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

tithin posted:

really loose definition of "quality of life" there

They didn’t specify who’s life

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

What are some good games

I’ve been playing Gunfire Reborn with a friend and enjoying it. Combat is a good level of challenging for us, with enough decision making to make each run feel interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

i'm seeing double... six assassin's creeds!

:kstare: