Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

significantly better, though watching it in isolation robs you of the buildup from all the variations they do on Holmes' analysis fighting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U0KlXwNsCk

man. I really liked those movies, and would definitely enjoy more, but also Ritchie kinda covered all the ground he seemed to want to cover in those two?

They're making a third aren't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

There was already an inspector character in the cartoons so it's not really that radical of an idea.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

I can hear this in my head even with the sound off. They've been talking up a mortal kombat movie reboot for twenty years now. They've rebooted the games twice since then.

They only rebooted the games once, thank you.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Snowman_McK posted:

I'd call Deadly Alliance a soft reboot. It's very much 'don't worry about what happened before, this is all new' hence the massive numbers of new cast members and the deaths of two of the most recognisable characters in the opning credits.

It was still specifically in continuity though.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

AceOfFlames posted:

I read somewhere that Ed Boon's dream for the longest time was to make an MK game with a completely new cast sans baggage, so maybe this will finally allow him to do so.

Of course, they still shoehorn in Sub Zero, Scorpion and a few others but who knows.

I mean, he made two Injustice games which were just that.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

aware of dog posted:

They really missed the boat on this one, FNaF’s peak was years ago, and they got beaten to the “horror movie with murderous animatronics” by the loving Banana Splits

That movie started as a five nights at Freddy's script that got rejected for sucking and then no one saw it cause it sucked. I think they'll be fine.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Hating sequels feels like a mindset totally set in the nineties to me. Weird, outdated thinking that's not backed up by any actual facts about the quality of sequels.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Farm Frenzy posted:

sequels arent better now and theres even more of them

Sequels have always been fine on the whole, and there's no more of them per film being made now than ever. Again, it's not based on reality. It's Boomer talk.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

There was this weird plague of random sequels in the late 80s/early 90s where seemingly anything that had made money got a follow-up. Mostly comedies and light fantasies, so Look Who's Talking Too, Short Circuit 2, Honey We Blew Up the Kid, Crocodile Dundee 2, even Arthur got a sequel nobody asked for. I wonder if that influenced people's opinions. (This may also have been a hangover effect from the writer's strike of '87, I'm not sure.)

(I also wonder how much of the bad reputation remakes have is down to the 1973 Lost Horizon musical, but that's harder to prove.)

Is it really that random though? What I want is the per movie made numbers of how many movies in any given period were sequels. Like if they made 100 movies in 1945 and 10 of them were sequels, but they made 300 in 1985 but 100 were sequels, then there's a case to be made. But if only around 30 were sequels then there's no argument.

They've always made sequels and cash ins since movies were a thing. Look at how many Andy Hardy movies they made back in the day, sixteen in less than ten years. That's some Marvel poo poo, but in the thirties. People just don't remember them anymore because why the gently caress would you, and then act like sequels being made often is a new thing.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

Buying Call of Duty for the campaigns lol

If I wanted to get shot by an angry fourteen year old I could just get my teaching certificate.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

Prediction: Those who aren't already sick of her as Harley will soon be super-sick of her as Captain Sparrow.

Either she's going to be a new character or she's the Knightley character who is technically the lead in the first movie.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

I guess we will have to wait and see. If it's a reboot I would say it's likely they also want to reboot the most popular character of the franchise, and if they want to reboot the most popular character of the franchise it would make sense to cast someone with a similar chaotic energy.

I bet that there is no character named Jack Sparrow in the movie. Or Jane Sparrow or Jackie Sparrow or whatever they would gender swap her name to. She may be playing the lead pirate, but I don't think that character is in the movie.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

I guess I just don't see the point in rebooting Pirates of the Caribbean without that character, whatever their name is. And Margot Robbie is in the public consciousness as playing a character that is mischievously playful and glib. I'm just saying it's a good fit that, if they go with it, will be run into the ground hard.

Because if it's not the same character you can eventually bring Depp back and cross them over.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm still bummed his BioShock never happened.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

Aren't astronaut backyard cookouts pretty standard for the genre? There's one in The Right Stuff, Apollo 13,.. I feel like if you're showing astronauts bonding on Earth, you're showing them at a bbq.

I think he means in space.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Then this is disappointing.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Saddest Rhino posted:

hope the new hellraiser movies (if he's interested in making more) will be better than the recent Book of Blood on Hulu, where they somehow didn't think to adapt that crazy-rear end village with towers of people killing each other in the distance while a gay couple have sex on the hood of a car

Not only that, it didn't adapt a single story from the books of blood.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I enjoyed Rawhead Rex but then Tammy and the T-Rex came along and I really only need one absurdly gory Rex movie in my life.

No one gets a monster to piss on their face in Tammy though.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

Some of us also do not have cars.

Every time you would pay to see a movie in a theater throw that money in a jar then do whatever the gently caress you want with the jar and just buy a 4k TV, they're like $200 now.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

It's a shame he seems to want to be a leading man type, because he plays an unlikable scumbag so well.

This is why I'm excited the Hawkeye show is based off the run where he's a scumbag.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Good casting.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

Is someone who's not a gamer give a poo poo about MGS?

Did anyone who wasn't a comic fan give a poo poo about iron Man BEFORE the movie?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Did you regret your words and deeds? :v:

Kojima is... weird when it comes to women. Like yeah you have half naked sniper lady but you also have The Boss, Olga, mgs4 era Meryl. Like, he seems to be “trying”? I don’t really know if that’s the right word, but he seems to be capable of writing good female characters when he wants to. The problem is he still loves to shove really horny poo poo into his games whenever he can and that’s when you wind up with poo poo like Quiet.

Kojima is a Japanese Boomer who's main cultural touchstones are eighties action movies and anime. Him being really horny is not only expected, but we should be glad "likes to make hot lady characters cause he's a horny man" seems to be the worst thing about him. He 100% needs to have someone telling him no about the horny though, and when he doesn't you get loving Quiet which is clearly trying to make a cool badass character but falls on every level from design up.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rochallor posted:

Quiet is 100% a cool badass character and it's really impressive how much characterization she gets considering she's nonverbal, and she also happens to spend the entire game in a bikini top and tights.

I shouldn't have said total failure. If you install a mod to put clothes on her she's actually pretty cool yeah. But that aspect undermines everything else so much I don't care. Also that final mission with her is loving lame and undoes all of the cool poo poo by taking away her agency just to have a gross fake she's in rape peril fake out. And the lap dance and yoga poo poo.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah I don't know what a story in an MK movie today would even be to fit into 2 hours or whatever. They won't want to just be an ultra violent tournament movie even though that would be ideal. Like just get Scott Adkins and every other good action person together make the costumes look badass and have them all fight a lot while Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa says "FINISH HIM!" and "YOUR soul, is MINE." a lot it would own.

The first one is just a new version of the old movie. Then you just continue using mortal Kombat 9 as a road map for the sequels.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

There’s one coming out next year produced by James Wan and it sounds like it’s gonna be remarkably similar to this idea. Joe Taslim is Sub-Zero, Hiroyuki Sanada is Scorpion. It’s not super high budget so it will probably end up resembling the original movie, but with no holding back on the violence or gore. Chin Han is playing Shang Tsung, which could be a very different take on that character but he’s good at playing a shitheel so he’ll be just fine.

The other night as I restarted the MK11 story mode, and really remembered just how much the games themselves have shifted from a loving rip-off of Enter the Dragon to a sort of R-rated sci-fit/fantasy/Kung-fu blockbuster that basically just merges a bunch of aesthetics that young men who were teens/young adults in the 1980s would have loved. Shao Khan and Outworld are very Conan the Barbarian, all of the robots and super-soldiers are real Terminator/Predator, and of course there are still ninjas and shaolin monks, plus lots of horror inspired characters and motifs

Also the games are now literally filled with 80s horror and action characters.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Vandar posted:

...did The King's Man ever even come out?

Not that I'm aware of.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Call me when they're doing the TIE Fighter movie.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

It's a hell of a lot better than Poe Dameron farting at a wedding!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV5Tk5jS7lw

Farting at weddings is actually very fun.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

You could make a good Green Hornet movie, but honestly a new shot at The Shadow would cover the same ground and he's a much more interesting character.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Extremely cursed headline.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

Is that the one where the stepmom gets stuck taking clothes out of the dryer, and dad's away on business?

Step brother what are you doing

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I want to see a movie called Right Turn where they're on their way to a funeral and instead end up in a fun, happy adventure where everything is okay.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gatts posted:

IT MADE OVER 2 BILLION DOLLARS!!!

I think that’s been used to end any debate about Avatar.

I still think it's a boring, bad movie. I haven't liked any Cameron since Terminator 2 which is when he crawled up his own rear end and never came out, and just makes bland garbage now. Like if the stuff he made was as interesting as he thinks it is I wouldn't have an issue with it, but when I watch Avatar I see what everyone else in this forum sees when they talk about Marvel stuff: a paint by numbers movie made by a committee with the explicit intent of making as much money as possible with as little actual art behind it as possible. It's soulless.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

Avatar has good politics but is very ok at best and True Lies has pretty lovely politics but is a blast.

It's politics are a standard white savior narrative, it's politics are garbage poo poo lib bullshit and suck. It's like Joe Biden: The Movie.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yes, Joe Biden, famously opposed to colonization for the purposes of resource extraction.

Joe Biden probably would say that native Americans are a proud culture of Noble savages and we shouldn't have killed them all but we are still inherently better and more civilized than them by the nature of our being white. Which is also what Avatar is about. They just made the natives blue so it would make more money in China.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

Did people not watch the last third of the movie where the American empire is driven off the planet?

By the white guy who was able to organize the noble savages into a fighting force, because his whiteness makes him better than them even at their own traditions which he masters in a matter of seconds because he's white, and also he's not explicitly an evil cartoon so we cheer for him against them. Jake Sully would have voted for Obama for a third term, if he could have. It's poo poo lib trash.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

The white guy is valuable to them because he has internal knowledge of the technology of the colonists, which he provides to the cat people in order to help them slaughter the white folks. I would be curious to hear about the various times Obama purposefully armed and aided indigenous people with the explicit goal of driving off occupying American soldiers, because I didn't happen to catch any of them in my following of American politics.

Again, the white guy who gets one of their bodies and, because he is white, is better than them at every single thing they spend their whole lives training to do. He instantly masters all of their combat techniques, spiritual bonding with animals, etc. Cause he's white and he's better than them. And you know, he's pretty much doing future black face the whole movie too which is weird, and by the end is just Rachel Dolezal.

I'm sorry you like the racist liberal movie, but it's still a racist liberal movie just like dances with wolves and all that other white savior nonsense Hollywood thinks is being progressive and woke.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

At least modders would be able to fix the fuckin sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

piratepilates posted:

I ain't gonna click this, why is he doing this?

He's a desperate old sex pest clinging to any measure of Fame he can.