Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That Little America movie sounds insanely 80s.

And the Harley Quinn cartoon is actually pretty good. It's basically DC's take on Venture Bros, tone-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Poison Ivy probably would have gone over worse since it turns out ecoterrorists are something we actually need.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm gonna guess the Sonic parts will be forgettable, the supporting cast triply so, while Jim Carrey completely steals the show.

I do wonder how the redesign might affect the movie, since I figure they had most of it completed before the backlash forced them to go back to the design that people actually like.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Oh hey, Sonic is already out here. How drunk should I get?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Alan Smithee posted:

make the g2g fast theme drink

ethanol
hot dog water
chili powder

That sounds like a great way to rapidly evacuate from both ends

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Probably going to make better money than Detective Pikachu, considering it's not trying to compete with freaking Endgame.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

lomzus posted:

The VFX studio that did the resign closed down around christmas.

I'm pretty sure that's the joke.

I still want to hear what was going on with the original design and who thought that was a good idea. Maybe they got the idea from the Werehog.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

HannibalBarca posted:

tfw sonic makes more money than godzilla

Also cue the arguments that Sonic is a kaiju

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cassandra Cain's whole backstory and thing might be considered way too gimmicky for movies, possibly accurately. Still could just make up a character if you want an asian artful dodger type.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I wonder if Sonic might be like the Smurfs where the 'wacky adventures in the REAL world' adventure is to get execs to sign off on a sequel actually set in Sonic's world.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Sonic movie being decent seems to be kind of breaking people's brains.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pigbuster posted:

Sega’s handling of it since Sonic Generations and Mania has been treating the genesis games as though they were in a completely different plane of existence from the modern games, and that characters in the “classic” Universe (like classic Robotnik) generally aren’t allowed to also exist in the Modern universe. This has prevented the current comics author from using characters like Bean the Dynamite because they were in Sonic Mania and, thus, classic characters. It’s... weird. And dumb. And I don’t know why they think anyone actually would care if Fang the Sniper showed up in a non-canon universe oh no oh god.

There's impenetrable layers of legal bullshit and corporate mandates on the Sonic comics which barely survived after leaping publishers since apparently Archie just got sick of their poo poo but IDW never saw a long-neglected IP that they weren't willing to turn into a comic.

Mostly my biggest complaint about the current run is the loving zombie arc that's gone on way too goddamn long.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The comic actually pretty much still goes on now under IDW with basically the same writers and artists as the last days of Archie (where it was cancelled pretty abruptly- still with upcoming issues previewed before they dropped it. I think they license expired and Archie decided not to renew it) and basically put through yet another hard reboot with only the canon game characters allowed to remain. Though at least at this point they've gotten used to writing around executive mandates. (Must be frustrating since they had just introduced a new secondary cast to replace everyone who was basically wiped from existence due to Penders, and now they're stuck in limbo forever as well)

Policenaut posted:

I could totally believe that one of the reasons the movie spent so long in dev hell is Sega shooting down really, really stupid poo poo.

That's pretty much the story of nearly every adaptation movie, I'm sure, just look at the history of comic book movies. And also probably the reason why it took Nintendo so long to come around to another Hollywood movie, since the SMB movie turned into a completely bizarre mess and they have no idea how.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Wasn’t one of the Sonic Comics guys a right-wing Christian Evangelical of some stripe?

Probably. I think Karl Bollers was the weird one, with his own Mary Sue character named after his grandma who was a derailing love interest for Sonic til he wrote her a boyfriend to get out of the way finally. And constantly butting heads with Penders, who is his own can of worms with the lawsuit and everything.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There was a bit where apparently basically everyone in the comics had some special mystical destiny poo poo going one except for Sonic himself. (A lot of which I'm p sure was ripping off The New Gods) I think Bollers was really bad for the teen drama soap opera era, while Penders was more into the eleventy zillion echidnas thing. I think the soap opera stuff is what got Sega pissed off when they started paying attention, while Penders' stuff was mostly just ignored or rewritten after he left until the contract stuff came up, especially when Sonic Chronicles having characters loosely based on his echidna lore triggered the lawsuit that was mostly Archie's legal dept turning out to be completely clownshoes. (I've heard other stories of Archie apparently being a basket case internally, though nothing verified)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pigbuster posted:

A lot of the romance drama stuff was added because of demands from the higher-ups so it’s not entirely fair to put that on the writers. The execution, though, you can say what you will about that.

The main thing I’ve learned from the ongoing Thanks Ken Penders Sonic comic retrospective blog is that the Sonic X side-series of all things is extremely good because of Joe Edkin’s writing, and yet I’ve never heard anyone mention him or that series ever.

I only heard the Sonic X comic turned out to be tracing screenshots from the show.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm not the only one who immediately got this impression.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Surprisingly, I'd say that the Tales from the Borderlands series did some fun things with just about the right amount of dumb humor and only a few missteps. Ideally we could get something closer to that. Not optimistic though.

I've said before that game was so much better than it had any right to be.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And it ended up pretty much killing the industry as they went all 'Comics aren't for kids anymore!' so the kids stopped buying them and now they're all basically on life support from cartoons and movies.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

pospysyl posted:

I forget, did they have DVD players in Mad Max?

People really do forget a whole movie where the theme is the descendants of surviving children do 'Tellings' while holding square frames in front of their head as the closest analogue they can come up with to loose memories of television.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Classic animation is kind of all the rage lately, with Cuphead and Bendy and the Ink Machine, Disney made a bunch of old-styled Mickey Mouse shorts.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Besides, the big thing now is that literally everyone working on cartoons right now has always desperately wanted to make anime.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kinda funny since the Harley Quinn show has a talking plant that's basically a tamer Audrey II.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Make a Fallout movie about Rex.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The MSJ posted:

Somehow he managed to get Lamborghini and Mercedes to make their live action Transformers debut as villains, although they both appear in later movies as Autobot characters too.

I am still freaked out but also amused that Starscream, an F22, is officially licensed by Lockheed-Martin. However, it seems they might have an issue with Boeing because while Blitzwing is a Phantom in Bumblebee, his official toy looks nothing like one.

Could be that toy rights are a separate thing to negotiate from movie appearance rights, (similar to the likeness rights for actors) and/or the toy designers don't really give a poo poo about accuracy when it comes to fiddly things like planes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The MSJ posted:

The movie version of Barricade became so popular it completely overshadowed the original 1980s version of the character, which even most hardcore Transformers fan barely care about.

They did manage to make a fairly accurate toy of Shatter, who transforms into a harrier jet, despite her robot mode also having visible car parts (she also transforms into muscle car in the movie although the toy does not).

Pretty much every Transformers character has had at least half a dozen appearances and versions, it makes sense that some stick better than others. The 80s series had probably the biggest cast of any show but most only showed up for like an episode or two; later Transformers shows usually take more cues from Beast Wars and have smaller, more fleshed-out casts.

And point, though depends; maybe they already had a Harrier mould sitting around from a previous toyline. (They also do that a lot)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Hitman movies make the same mistake as the games in failing to realise Agent 47 isn't an action hero or interesting character, the key point of interest is his work.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Gatts posted:

Lol that would be pretty good. A movie like a heist set up with meticulous planning and as if everyone has their poo poo together and under control and are cool and calm but during the actual heist right away the smallest thing goes differently like a guard drops his keys throwing the entire Timing and sequence off and then it turns into a Benny Hill type comedy of bumbling violence and messy sloppy panicked slapstick BS to conclusion.

This sounds like the unseen heist that sets up Reservoir Dogs. And/or about half my Payday games.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Stainless Steel Rat?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Black Lighter posted:

I'll never call it a good film, but I do think that Die Another Day was a lot more intentionally campy than people usually assume. It's a movie with an albino assassin who has diamonds embedded in his face, and another villain who parties in a giant ice palace and needs treatments from a dream machine in order to stay sane(ish) - it was never supposed to be the serious Bond movie that a lot of people seemed to want it to be.

I heard it was trying to keep up with video game setpieces. The weaponised car duel certainly points to it.

Skyfall definitely has the best finale of any Bond movie I've seen by basically inverting the typical formula. Also, it tries out Bond as Batman, and also Solid Snake.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Part of the issue is that if you know the creator's other games, all of the flaws become so much worse. From psuedo-science bullshit to racist stereotypes, exploitative but hollow EMOTIONS scenes to the endless and obvious rape fetish enactments.

David Cage loving loves depicting sexual violence aimed at women.

The Joss Whedon of video games?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think Cage got away with it at the time because it seemed to be just the whole style for video games to have weepy teenage-looking girls (always brunette and Caucasian) who need to be constantly protected from sexualised violence, and somehow it got called woke despite pretty clearly just pandering to a different set of objectifying fetishes. (Along with the whole Video Game Sad Hairy Dads thing) Also while Bayonetta was a massive fault line in the culture wars.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's nothing more irritating than a writer convinced they are far more profound than they are.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It seems more mysterious and slightly offensive to me that these games apparently keep selling well enough to warrant more of them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Heavy Rain iirc was also an early life PS3 game when it had jack all else in worthwhile exclusives.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Len posted:

08 or 09 I think so about 2-3 years into the lifespan

IIRC this was still when the 'PS3 has no games' meme was in full swing, and not entirely without justification.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become The Simpsons.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

DC Murderverse posted:

Soul feels the most like a Pixar movie made in that era where they were just making whatever the gently caress they wanted and Disney got mad because they couldn't sell toys of it (turns out no one wants stuffed old people or weird little robots or rats???), i would totally buy that Disney just doesn't know how to market it.

Would be kinda surprised if Wall-E wasn't marketable considering. I remember seeing a lot of merch of it. (and yes, despite its message of consumerism destroying the world)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Dracula related media really is a crapshoot. Speaking of which, the Castlevania cartoon's third season came out recently and is quite good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That came to mind, though it's a weird case since it's more like the vampires are like LotR Elves who are gradually retreating from the world into the heavens, except apparently they have space stations and they rebuilt their castles into rockets.