Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Not having read any Hellraiser comics, I could see Harrowers maybe working in a "Cure just as bad as the disease" sort of way. Beings in opposition to the Cenobite's pure hedonism, swearing their lives to destroying them in the name of chastity and moral restraint. But like the Cenobites, they are purely dissociated from mortal reality and human needs and desires. So in their pursuit, they will destroy everything in the attempt to claim one cenobite. So a Pinhead and his fellow cenobites might relentlessly come after you, if a Harrower comes along you might be destroyed by a careless and completely apathetic being.

The Harrowers were the name given to the team of humans who entered hell to defeat Pinhead after he had amassed all of Earth's magical knowledge, killed the other members of his order, and went to Satan's Cathedral in hell to steal the devil's armor. He finds Satan dead, steals his armor, the devil comes back to life, they fly around shooting bolts of energy at each other, then Satan pulls out all of Pinhead's nails. Satan then moves to NYC and eats nothing but pizza for the rest of his days.

I am not making any of this up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

The MSJ posted:

The entire 1984-1985 cartoon series was a prequel to the 1986 movie. We would assume this is a prequel to the Bumblebee movie, but who knows now.

There were even episodes of the G1 series that went back in time to the creation of the Transformers, to the beginning of the Great War, to them ending up on Earth.

The whole timeline has been covered.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

PriorMarcus posted:

Does Anakin even know he was immaculately conceived?

This has been bugging me this whole thread.

The Immaculate Conception refers to the Virgin Mary who was conceived without Original Sin. Her conception was the regular physical kind, her parents had sex and she was conceived, but through God's intervention she was free from the sin of Adam which taints all of humanity. This made her a pure, sinless vessel for bearing the Son of God.

The Virgin Birth refers to Jesus' birth, as Mary conceived with the Holy Spirit and became pregnant without sexual intercourse. There was no physical, human father, rather, she was impregnated through the will of God.

When talking about Annakin's conception and birth via the Force, it's more appropriate to use the term "Virgin Birth" as Schmi did not have sex with a man, she was made pregnant by the Force, possibly under the control of Darth Plagueis.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

feedmyleg posted:

It's to wrap around a tree when you accidentally land in a swamp.

...too bad they didn't give em to X-wings.

X-wings aren't meant to operate in atmosphere, they're space fighters. The snow speeders are terrestrial vehicles that would be expected to tow things.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

feedmyleg posted:

If I can't hitch my space trailer to my space plane for a space roadtrip then what's the goddamn point

You get one of these:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Elvis was supposed to be LaBoeuf in the original, but the Colonel played hardball in negotiations regarding Elvis' cut and billing so we got Glen Campbell instead.

Years ago I was visiting with my then girlfriend and took her mom and her stepdad to see the remake. They loved it so much that they rented the original. Having not seen the original, I thought that sounded okay.

They didn't even finish it.

The only thing that the original has over the remake is that Strother Martin plays Col. Stonehill in the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b-0ahUHW7c&t=400s

Though the girl who pays Mattie Ross in the original is terrible.

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 16, 2020

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

That's Steve King, who lost his primary which might actually make it harder for that seat to flip D now that a more "respectable" Republican is running.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

(Predator 2)

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

fatherboxx posted:

The investments helped secure a slate of A-list directors and producers for the launch of the app, which was no longer called NewTV. (It turned out — whoops — that there was already a company named NewTV.) The new name was Quibi. Katzenberg had originally wanted to call it Omakase, after the sushi tasting menus he enjoyed at least once a week at Nobu Malibu. “That would have really won over Wisconsin,” a former insider notes. Ultimately, Quibi won the day. “They never asked staff to weigh in on it,” this person says. “People on staff thought it was cringey and would ask, ‘Is it too late to change it?’ Meg loved it.” Though arguably no sillier-sounding than Hulu, Quibi would be roundly mocked by people who thought it sounded like a “quinoa-based doggy snack” or “the cry of an attacking Ewok.”

Why do they always act like the Midwest is full of uncultured rubes when as far as I can tell rich people on the coasts can be just as tacky and ignorant as anyone else in the world?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Any adaptation s of Metroid is going to have a female protagonist. I don't see what the problem is.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

8one6 posted:

https://youtu.be/Z8ESXMnn3FY

Apparently this has been sitting on the shelf for a while.

You have got to be making GBS threads me. That's amazing. Jaws retold as a bear!

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

The MSJ posted:

He made a Republican rally sing a racist song.

This really is not an accomplishment.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Movies have referenced their genre since at least the 90s, if not earlier.

WTH is he even talking about?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

So it's going to be about her working her way up Immortan Joe's organization to reach the level of Imperator?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Prowler posted:

Are there any prequels that really worked? That were received as well as--if not better than--the original? I am having a difficult time thinking of one.

Godfather II?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I love it, lol. Not only is this over what's obviously a cameo but now it's tantamount to putting Charles Manson in your movie.

So, Rob Zombie will be directing part of the Snyder cut?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I've seen objections to Borat along these lines a few times since the sequel was announced and frankly it reads to me as people who are either too dumb to understand what Cohen is doing, or dislike the work and want to claim a moral high ground rather than actually articulate their opinion.

It's not a mistake of the film maker if some people are too stupid to understand scenes which may as well be preceded by screen cards with their purpose in bold font.

"No, no, it's your fault if you're offended by this racist pastiche."

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

No, he was child molesting full time. Why do you think he became a professor?

One of the better gags in Chrystal Skull is his students are now geeky young men who want to learn from the old professor, instead of young women who want to gently caress the young professor.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Gorn Myson posted:

Which is funny because both were filmed in Romania. In the first movie they filmed the Kazakhstan scenes in a village in Romania. The residents were so upset by the way their home was depicted that they had to find a different location in the sequel. So they just went with a different Romanian village.

Romanians have at best an ambivalent opinion of Borat.

Why don't you tell them it's a double ironic joke?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Don't forget, famed Scottish actor Sean Connery was our most beloved Spanish highlander

The Frenchman was the Highlander. The Scotsman was an ancient Egyptian working for the King of Spain.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Lid posted:

https://deadline.com/2020/11/short-circuit-remake-spyglass-media-group-latinx-jolt-1234615264/

EXCLUSIVE: Spyglass Media Group has set a remake of the 1986 film Short Circuit, bringing on the writing team of Eduardo Cisneros and Jason Shuman to put a Latinx twist on the screenplay for the family film. The original was directed by John Badham and starred Ally Sheedy, Steve Guttenberg and Fisher Stevens in a comedy that centered around Number 5, an experimental military robot that is struck by lightning and gains a human-like intelligence.

Bit they already made Chappie?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

hope the new hellraiser movies (if he's interested in making more) will be better than the recent Book of Blood on Hulu, where they somehow didn't think to adapt that crazy-rear end village with towers of people killing each other in the distance while a gay couple have sex on the hood of a car

He should do a completely faithful translation of the Scarlet Gospels and see if he can get Scott Bakula to star.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

All I can think of is the bit from Deuce Bigelow.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Vince MechMahon posted:

I still think it's a boring, bad movie. I haven't liked any Cameron since Terminator 2 which is when he crawled up his own rear end and never came out, and just makes bland garbage now. Like if the stuff he made was as interesting as he thinks it is I wouldn't have an issue with it, but when I watch Avatar I see what everyone else in this forum sees when they talk about Marvel stuff: a paint by numbers movie made by a committee with the explicit intent of making as much money as possible with as little actual art behind it as possible. It's soulless.

IDK, True Lies is still pretty funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKMSYuzDp5E

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 20, 2020

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

AccountSupervisor posted:

This story is partially why I laugh at people who think Avatar is some long dead cultural nothing that nobody remembers or had any interest in seeing more of.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/gallery/2010/feb/14/west-bank-barrier-avatar-protest

I've done deep dives into Avatars financial success globally and to this day it still made more money in certain countries/markets than Star Wars or big MCU movies. Original IPs of that scale and quality are incredibly impactful in areas of the world with people who did not grow up with the cultural indoctrination and presence of stuff like Star Wars or Marvel(although the MCU did eventually crack that barrier).

All you have to do is look at Avatars success in China at the time and compare how many theaters existed in 2009 to how many exist now to understand how big the sequels will be globally. It has also been the most anticipated movie in China for years according to some of the major ticket selling companies/apps that have "want to see" features for future films.

The average perception people have of that movie in the West is hardly representative of its popularity globally.

Honestly you could talk poo poo about the quality of that movie all day and I wouldnt debate you but to act like the sequels are some non-factor irrelevant cultural nothingburger that nobody cares about anymore is just ignorant.

Edit: it also breaks my brain that every movie talked about in this post is now a Disney property jfc

The movie still sucked.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Carthag Tuek posted:

300 is incredibly racist

Against whom?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

MH Knights posted:

Weren't several pieces of 300's soundtrack copied from elsewhere?

Yup.

https://youtu.be/8tAT_A71WOs

https://youtu.be/VAZsf8mTfyk

Also, Titus is a much better film than 300.

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 26, 2020

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

sexpig by night posted:

you get the point is it's pretty vile for the lady who talks about how great the IDF is to functionally have a scene where she saves a similar group from violence that was actually coming from the REAL bad guys, right? That combined with that absolute ghoulish 'I bet if those middle easterners got a wish they'd be the ones who made an apartheid wall' poo poo makes it very clear how this movie's writers and all view the middle east.

Everyone in the ME hates everyone else.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

sexpig by night posted:

everyone in most regions hates everyone else, it's pretty fuckin weird that the IDF cheerleader produced and starred movie involves a complete meaningless jaunt to the middle east just to go 'arabs bad actually, luckily Israeli Wonder Woman is here to save them' when they could do that in the America story with just like, someone wanting to gently caress their neighbor up or something or some fittingly 80's Balkans bullshit or something if they need her to travel.

If it was WW 1994 the Balkans would work. The ME was pretty big in the 80s for regional conflict.

I suppose you could do Central America, but a Mediterranean goddess is a better fit for the ME.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I was in Erbil a few years ago, talking to a Kurdish man about how Iran, Turkey, Iraq, and Syria don't want their to be a Kurdistan as it would mean those countries would have to give up land. He said that the lines were drawn over their land, they just wanted what was theirs.

You could say that the Israelis make the same claims, as they claim Israel was promised to them by God.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I saw some article saying that they're considering doing a "sequel" to BTAS, whatever that means..

They did that, it's called Batman Beyond and it rips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMXjtvMAFlI

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

MH Knights posted:

How is the Harley and Ivy TV show?

The first season is great, the second is so so.

Kiteman and Bane are the MVPs.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I still remember my one high school history book that taught that one of the chief reasons Rome fell was because the emperor created a program to give the poor free bread and so they lost all will to work and keep bettering society.

See also "we don't feed bears because it makes them dependent, so we shouldn't have welfare either."

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Taintrunner posted:

one-time Presidential candidate Jim Webb (of the Democrats!) backed this movie. It's loving insane. A black mark on Jackson and Jones' careers, absolutely. It's utterly loving reprehensible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLDLzgBdvUU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

AceOfFlames posted:

Why is a woman who wants to kill dogs more evil than every other villain who wants to kill humans?

Why is killing dogs to make a coat wrong and killing a cow for that same purpose isn’t?

I never understood the discrepancy.

Cows are essentially an industrial product raised to make full use of the cow. The meat, bones, hide, and all the rest of it are used for one purpose or another with no wastage, and for the time 101 Dalmations is set, there are not synthetic alternatives to cowhide for protective garments and footwear.

Dogs are service animals and it's a waste of a dog's purpose to grow them only for their hides. Cruella is gathering puppies to make a luxury item for no other purpose than to show off how rich she is.

That's why she's worse than someone who raises ordinary livestock.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

muscles like this! posted:

https://deadline.com/2021/02/edgar-wright-direct-the-running-man-stephen-king-paramount-pictures-simon-kinbergs-genre-films-1234697279/

Edgar Wright to direct and co-write an adaptation of the Stephen King novel The Running Man. Specifically it is going to be actually adapting the book and not a remake of the Schwarzenegger film. The novel takes place in a dystopian future where the US is suffering from massive unemployment and terrible pollution. The only way for the poor to make money is by signing up for the Network's dangerous game shows, the most dangerous being The Running Man where the player becomes the most wanted man in America.

They going to do the 9/11 ending?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Byzantine posted:

IIRC, he actually was helping their son, but it was because he was a mystic and shunning modern medicine, while the doctors were using the new wonder drug aspirin.

According to a podcast I listened to, which may or may not be accurate, the aspirin was making the kid's hemophilia worse as it acts as a blood thinner.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Julius CSAR posted:

Yeah it’ll be like the episode where he loses the Koach in a drag race and they’ll have to build the Drag-U-La to win it back

Maybe it'll just be a remake of Hot rod Herman.

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 16, 2021

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I think Rob's serious about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Jose Oquendo posted:

He should use the same house from the original series. It’s still around.

It'd need to be rebuilt to the original specs and the surrounding houses probably don't match his vision.

If you're going to build a house, why not start from scratch and get exactly what you want?