Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Not sure it was mentioned on the Discord but the best NASCAR content of this offseason has to come from the Dinner With Racers podcast (and Amazon Prime show!) about Tim Richmond and The Poster. Part 1 features former press and PR people talking about Tim and The Poster, and Part 2 features Kyle Petty, Terry Labonte, Bobby Allison and Geoff Bodine, with some spectacular stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

hunnert car pileup posted:

My grandparents have a bunch of those posters framed at their house too, including that one.

They are indeed :krad:

(I'm sure all 6 people who post itt are aware of the backstory, but if you're not, take a close look at Tim Richmond)

I just linked the Dinner With Racers two-part podcast interview about The '87 Winston Poster ^^^^^ RIGHT UP THERE

And apparently the Amazon Prime episode about this poster went live this week as well.

harperdc posted:

Not sure it was mentioned on the Discord but the best NASCAR content of this offseason has to come from the Dinner With Racers podcast (and Amazon Prime show!) about Tim Richmond and The Poster. Part 1 features former press and PR people talking about Tim and The Poster, and Part 2 features Kyle Petty, Terry Labonte, Bobby Allison and Geoff Bodine, with some spectacular stories.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

The Castrol Ford GT last year was tits also.

That’s because it was an imitation of the old Castrol Jaguar paint scheme, which is classic and good.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I mean let's keep it funky, it's probably the official importer to Saudi or elsewhere in the GCC that is then selling Hiluxes out the back door to people who then get them to the kinds of guys who mount guns in the back.

same way that newer Mercedes wound up in North Korea for Kim to use.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Holy poo poo, it’s absolutely amazing that he’s not in more serious condition right now. Let’s hope it’s something he can recover from and drive again.

And if we’re talking about “:psyduck: HOW :psyduck:” wrecks then let’s not forget the Mercedes at Le Mans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e21ZjwZGjiQ

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

the wheels look cool

18" center lock touring car/sports car wheels tend to, not a huge shock that the new NASCAR ones will too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

mischief posted:

Gravel is better than pavement, pavement is better than grass. There have been plenty of big grass related wrecks with stock cars.

for cars. As wicka said, it’s not good for bikes because they cause nastier accidents.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It’s morning on this side of the world and McLaren pulled out of the F1 because a team member — one so far — tested positive. There will be further fallout soon I’m sure.

I wanted to be positive and think behind closed-doors races would be okay, but I’m wavering on that as well. Might be best to join other events in suspending things for a couple weeks.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Could swear that looks like Terry Funk

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

this post deserves more love than it's received

Feels Villeneuve posted:

*TMNT theme* kyle larson said the n word

this one's good too

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Hendrick took one pit crew to Japan in 1997 to pit Ricky Craven and Jack Sprague. If they can that for a race halfway around the World, they can do it for the next state down.

I mean shoot that's just Formula 1 style, two cars on the team sharing one pit box. just requires a bit more coordination on the pit timing or, in the worst case, double-stacking.

also they mentioned in the NASCAR article about restarting that they would space spotters throughout the empty grandstands, so that's one aspect.

I don't think any of this is a smart idea, and as soon as they have one positive test they'll have to shut the whole thing down once more. It's what happened with a few other sports -- Formula 1 and the Aussie Rules football both avoided caution but had to stop in March, and even in Japan there have been soccer training matches and Spring Training games for the pro baseball league that were done in March and early April...but were stopped.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Peanut President posted:

sure the thunderbird and monte carlo are cool but WHERE THE gently caress IS THE LEBARON

give us the Olds, Pontiac and the Buick ffs

[edit] they did however choose to include cars from the year of The Poster :tinfoil:

harperdc fucked around with this message at 07:06 on May 10, 2020

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Neodoomium posted:

It's fine just put the wipers on em

eh that almost looks like the kind of rain that gets WEC and F1 races stopped, but the race isn't in Shizuoka so at least there won't be fog :v:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Elitist Bitch posted:

The thing that makes me saddest about Spencer leaving Vox is now I'm never going to get my NASCAR Shutdown Fullcast.

I'm so sad we don't have the Shutdown Fullcast around period. Hoping Bomani has him on to talk college football sooner than later.

I shouldn't be so surprised that somebody ran a Cop Car but here we are.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

dsriggs posted:

It shouldn't take 7 hours to look at some security footage...

Might take that much time to talk with the team and decide how things are moving forward though.

Bet there’s going to be news about it tomorrow/today though.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Glad it turned out to be a false alarm. Wild that somebody used that particular kind of knot to tie a rope off. Wouldn’t be my choice!

That said, NASCAR still reacted properly, given the context.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/bomani_jones/status/1277368205049245697

Sounds like the musicians who performed the Star Spangled Banner gave it a bit of an intro today too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

Once again, why is NASCAR the most progressive sport on racial issues? I'm proud of NASCAR for doing stuff like this, because you know it was vetted. But why can't the more mainstream sports with predominantly black athletes do as well?

Edit: Thanks for this, btw. I was not familiar with Life Every Voice before today, and feel better for having learned about it.

The credit I’m giving NASCAR is in booking Black musicians to play the anthem. Adding in “Lift Every Voice” seems to have been this duo of musicians (or just the piano player?) ad-libbing on the platform they were given.

Also, the other sports with Black athletes? They’re not playing right now. The NBA has supported other causes in the past. And overseas right now, athletes are participating in kneels before matches in ways that were not seen before May 2020. The landscape has shifted, so it’s not necessarily NASCAR being first but being the only one out there at the moment.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

Tyler Reddick fan for life on this poo poo. gently caress LaJoie, gently caress Elliot, gently caress racists everywhere.

Hold up, since when does KCMG (a Hong Kong-based sportscar team) have connections with RCR? That’s kinda wild.

But yeah good on Reddick, and NASCAR in general. Also will have to find a way don’t worry I know how to watch if they run the Daytona roval.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jul 8, 2020

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

Now run Sebring, cowards. Nextgen better have working lights.

Sebring with the Cup cars would be unreal.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

big nipples big life posted:

purple underglow is always one of my first mods on a car in saint's row.

Now take this one step further and use the garage music from Saint’s Row the Third in NASCAR broadcasts.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

GD_American posted:

That's Dr. Jerry Punch

god that loving crew was the best in racing history

Dr. Jerry Punch, the man who provided all the background and history needed for the hit movie Days of Thunder

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

Its built on the land of the old Kaiser steel mill, that made the steel for the liberty ships in WW2. The land was basically considered unusable because of the decades of dumping slag and chemicals all over the place. Part of the deal with the EPA to build the track was that they would essentially plastic over the entire yard to prevent all the horrible poo poo in the ground from leeching up, then dump a comical amount of dirt on top of it all.

Normally I would say theres no way the EPA would let you build commercial or residential stuff on that site, but with now-a-days EPA, I'm pretty sure nobody would give a gently caress as long as you bribed the right folks.

I was going to say freeing up all that land to sell would net them probably as much as they invest on the project, but realizing the use-cases may be limited would impact that. Still might happen, though, the article suggests commercial usage:

quote:

There have long been questions about the Fontana track’s future, particularly as the land around the property skyrocketed in value as it shifted from crumbling steel mills to distribution warehouses. When NASCAR announced a partnership with real estate developer Hillwood in March, ACS became an obvious target for sale rumors.

saw it posted on Twitter and almost thought it was a prank, but thinking more, if it takes the California race from a snoozer and a Michigan clone to something unique, that would be worth it. Solidly closes the book on them bringing IndyCar back ever again, but it sounds like the old regime weren't going to ever consider it at all anyway (no clue if Roger Penske would hold by the "we're not hosting it in October at sunset like you want" stance but oh well).

as mentioned here's Gil de Ferran's record lap, nothing like hitting 250 mph on the straights to wake you up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF8GTL0_rMA

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Pinecone Sample posted:

More a question of what Nike's trademark lawyers say I reckon

you would think MJ knows a guy or two to get clearance for use of certain fonts and trademarks, eh?

now go full Michael Jeffrey Jordan and put elephant print on the race car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Pinecone Sample posted:

I mean sure the relationship has always been good as far as we know although poo poo does not make sense to me how there's direct competition for Jordan schools and Nike schools in college athletics now

I am also thinking it gets messier once you get into the fact that drivers are wearing safety equipment manufactured by companies other than Nike and how that can comport with certain exclusivity agreements if it is considered athletic equipment and poo poo

Mike can probably work it out

Denny has had fire suits with the Jumpman on them, if that’s your biggest worry they’ve already got it solved. And Nike is out of golf equipment so their athletes (like Tiger) are free to use whatever brand along with Nike clothes now, so there’s some kind of precedent.

Also those college schools are getting Jordan branding for the special/cool factors, everything is done by Nike itself :ssh: