Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fabricated posted:

The Bount arc had a good opening in a fantastic case of bait and switch.

loving love MY PACE.

Back before anyone knew the lyrics everyone was always confused as to whether it was MY SPACE or MY FACE or MY PACE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What the, it was ALL FAILS and not OH FRIENDS????????????????????

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This thread motivated me to search Bleach on Spotify so I could listen to all the OPs and EDs, so thanks.

Funny how I barely remember any Naruto OP or ED but have no problem remembering Bleach OPs and EDs.

Granted I quit watching Naruto early on, but it's not like I stuck with the Bleach anime that long, I gave up during the Bounts because finding anime episodes on YouTube got tiresome and I didn't feel like downloading shounen anime offa mIRC.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Never made it to Shippuden!

Stopped during Sasuke Retrieval arc.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kenpachi and Yoruichi were my reason for reading Bleach.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I still don't understand people who think Bleach was denied its greatness by editors who forced its end, as if Tite could have somehow ended Bleach in a satisfactory manner.

It's like they hadn't read the previous 400+ chapters.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Bleach ended too soon, in that I held a contest and nobody got it right cause it ended like a year earlier than anyone guessed.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I read a Bleach wiki to refresh my knowledge and then rediscovered Ichigo losing his new and shiny Bankai in the final arc in like a single panel.

God that was so stupid.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yes. Rukia and Rukia's older sister. It is an important part of the Rescue Rukia arc.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Aizen only turned evil because he was too strong to make friends. It was everyone else's fault for being weak.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sydin posted:

My favorite part about Soi Fon's powers is that her shikai was an explicit two-shot, and her bankai was an explicit one-shot.

Then she shot the grim reaper twice with her bankai, and it didn't kill him, so welp.

She also failed to kill the cyborg Quincy with it.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Julias posted:

The resolution was Gin was playing a long con to betray aizen, but failed, and was fatally wounded. As he died Rangiku shows up to cry over him, and he tells her that he's sorry.

Also it apparently turns out Rangiku had a piece of the Soul King's fingernail in her soul and Aizen removed it.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also Fullbringers get their powers from the Soul King and not Hollows.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Thoren posted:

Why did Ichigo and Aizen share certain physical characteristics? What are transcendents? Why are their swords fusing with their arms?

This is all just conjecture cause I barely remember much of Bleach and only reread bits of it last week cause of this thread, but...

Transcendents or whatever you call them are like, beings who have surpassed the innate boundaries of a species or whatever, I think.

Like, Shinigamis, Hollows, etc. have a hard limit on how strong they can get. Aizen hit that limit, and wanted to go even further than that for ~reasons~, and landed on the idea of Hollowfication. Hollowfication and Arrancarization are both methods to overcome the limits hardwired into your species, and you do that by, uh, fusing with a different species? Hollowfication is literally adding Hollow powers to a shinigami, and Arrancars shed their Hollow forms to assume more human-like forms and gain Zanpakutou like Shinigami, as well as a Bankai-like form (though in their case it's just returning to their original form or something). It's just that, in-series, Hollowfication doesn't seem all that strong cause all the Vaizards are chumps.

Anyways, Hollowfication is like, incomplete, I think, because both Hoagies (Aizen's and Urahara's) were incomplete. Which is why Aizen fused the two Hoagies together, which completed them? And then after going through a buncha stuff Aizen fully transcended, literally putting him on another level (Isshin, Yoruichi, and Urahara couldn't feel his spirit level unless he deliberately lowered it to the point where they could feel it).

I guess you could say that fusing with Zanpakutous is like, a natural extension of the process or something? I dunno, aren't Zanpakutous made from Hollows?

Also, future revelations could explain why Ichigo was so much stronger than Aizen as a transcendent - he was beyond Aizen's level even without going into Mugetsu form. After all, Aizen was just fusing Shinigami and Hollow, but Ichigo was potentially fusing Shinigami, Hollow, Fullbringer, and Quincy. That's double the amount of bases that Aizen was working off of.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I could be a lot wrong, like I said, I barely remember.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't think they ever brought back the inability to sense spiritual pressure thing ever again except in the LN between Aizen and Quincy where Kenpachi briefly hits that level while fighting the final boss?

So who knows, maybe Butterflyzen and Final Ichigo are actually stronger then YWACH.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pierson posted:

What happened to Squad Zero because those character design were insanely cool. The wiki is bad and unreadable, did they also all get chumped by the alphabet-soup bad guys?

I assume so because when I googled "Bleach Squad Zero" one of the autocomplete options was "disappointment".

Yes.

YWACH takes his Elite Four (+1 Super Elite and I guess maybe Uryuu) and they fight Squad 0.

Squad 0 wastes the Elite Four.

Then YWACH literally takes the energy from all surviving non-Elite Quincies, killing them, and uses them to revive + power up the Elite Four.

Elite Four waste Squad 0 pretty much instantly, because Kubo cuts away after one dude gets killed instantly, and only the leader (Monk) survives. Monk chumps YWACH, except, whoops, didn't really chump YWACH, because YWACH's power is the dumbest thing ever. Then Ichigo and friends come across Monk's dissected body and then revive him, and then Monk sits on his rear end and does nothing for the rest of the series except preaching doom like "Oh, Ichigo, you'll never beat YWACH" into the air after Ichigo and co. resume their chase.

I don't remember if the other Squad 0 members got revived, but they probably didn't.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They're pretty much Vaizards but worse, because these guys were supposed to be way above the level of your standard Captain.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sydin posted:

Yes.

My pet theory was always that just as Ichigo had a permanently released shikai because it was so powerful by default it couldn't be sealed, Aizen similarly had a permanently released bankai.

And yeah Shinji was great when he was first introduced, the vizards were hit and miss even before they all turned out to be loving useless but Shinji gave off a great vibe and I liked his dynamic with Ichigo. I wish Kubo had trimmed down the vizard cast to either just Shinji, or him plus 2-3 others. That way they could have gone with Ichigo to HM and gotten to actually do things without bloating the story up too much.

Vizards being wasted is a shame, because one part of Bleach I really liked were stuff like Turn the Pendulum where we get to see how the events went down in the past, and it was super dope seeing hot-headed young Byakuya or new Captain Urahara and all that jazz. Getting the Isshin backstory was pretty neat too. Characters (not named Ichigo) interacting with each other were really fun.

The loving mini-backstory ends with Shinji going "We Vizards owe Urahara a lot and we gotta pay back Aizen for what he did to us" and then they do jack poo poo.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I remember how Kensei did jack poo poo. He was my favorite...

Didn't he have a loving knuckleduster zanpakutou that shot tornados or some poo poo.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TheHan posted:

I don't think we ever saw his abilities. His first fight was off-screen against hollow Ichigo where he kinda implies he could kill him, then what I think was his last fight was against Wonderweiss. It was also offscreen and he got his rear end whooped.

Oh, I see you've repressed your memories, too.

Hisagi gets chumped by the Mask Quincy.

Kensei fought the Mask Quincy.

Got chumped.

Rose fought the Mask Quincy.

Got chumped.

Renji (previously chumped by Mask Quincy the first time around) comes with his new shikai and chumps Mask Quincy, then Mask Quincy transforms, and then Renji chumps him with his new bankai.

Bleach.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Like, you'd think that since Quincies can be poisoned by Hollows (I think using Hollow blood or spiritual residue or whatever was how the captains managed to get back their bankais in the first place), Vizards with their Hollow masks would be a natural counter to them.

But no, I don't think any of the Vizards ever pull out their masks after Aizen gets beat down?

Also the whole thing about Quincies actually having been, uh, weakened? By the Bankais they stole? Cause it kept them from using their Quincy transformations? Did that actually happen or am I misremembering things.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Rose was literally winning until he decided to explain how his powers worked because all characters in Bleach have a pathological desire to tell them because that's the only way Kubo can tell you things, cause otherwise you have what happened with Unohana's bankai.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SalTheBard posted:

Was that childs have bankai he unleashed against Starrk? I didn't understand it either

That was his shikai wasn't it. I thought he only released his bankai during the Quincy arc.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SpazmasterX posted:

Yep. His Shikai makes obscure Japanese children's games reality.

Edit: lol I almost forgot we found out at the end there that Nanao was his niece the whole time

I still don't fully understand Deathdealing but to be fair I am a moron and I don't fully understand King Crimson either. Though the latter might be because I only watched clips of Golden Wind and read Hunter x Hunter instead of watching/reading all of Part 5.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RatHat posted:

From what I remember Kensei had a wind type sword. His shikai was a dagger that could throw wind blasts and his bankai was 2 gauntlets that when they punched someone would send out wind blasts rapidly as long as they were in contact with an opponent. But yeah Kensei was one of the worst jobbers in Bleach.

From what I understood his bankai basically forced everyone around him(including himself) into a contest of strength/spirit power with the losers dying. Too bad his opponent was immortal. I think it was very loosely themed around folk tales?

God Kensei I loving loved* you, why couldn't you be less of a jobber.

* As much as I could love a character who wasn't Kenpachi or Yoruichi or Urahara and maybe Grimjaw.

Personally, Bleach was just one of the worst offenders of regeneration / healing-via-powerup (only for Quincies and Hollows) ever, and that's even when you consider that the final war in Naruto was waged against immortal regenerating zombies.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sydin posted:

And let's not even get into the fact that one of his swords wasn't even his, it was Nanao's but Kyoraku was still able to use it because ???

Also that half of his big bankai reveal was that he wanted to bang his own sword.

I mean Tousen used his old crush's sword. Might even be using the same shikai?

And Kenpachi is also using a sword he lifted off a dude he killed as a kid.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Doc Fission posted:

This thread makes me want to reread Bleach even though I know it'll be bad for my blood pressure

I just reread bits and parts. Like Kenpachi fights.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cerebral Bore posted:

I get the feeling that Bleach as a story suffered a lot more from the power creep than its peers because it also tried to throw in JoJo-style high-concept superpowers and when you have to make something like that strong enough to be on the level of shonen endgame bullshit it always ends in an extremely confusing mess unless you're really loving good at it. And unfortunately Kubo is no Araki or Togashi.

Bleach had conceptual powers with the caveat that if your spirit power was high enough, you could apparently straight up ignore them (see: Aizen just straight up ignoring Soifon's 2-hit kill).

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cerebral Bore posted:

Speaking of Aizen he's a real problem character because due to his broken-rear end power you can never really be sure if what you see on the panel is actually happening or not. In that scene with Soifon, for example, there are at least two explanations for what really happened that are equally plausible and there's really no way for the reader to determine which one it actually is.

Ichigo just watching in horror as the squad murders Momo is just so unintentionally funny.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-01-27/bleach-creator-kubo-tite-new-work-to-be-unveiled-at-animejapan-2020/.155814

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Anyways, I've been reading Bleach on and off a bit, and I think one of Bleach's greatest weaknesses was Ichigo's blandness as a character after some point.

Like, he's constantly confused, grim, determined, fed up, or stoic. He just doesn't seem to smile or laugh or joke around much. Also his goal is constantly shifting based on who or what he has to save in the newest arc.

It set him apart from the other two big shounen characters during Bleach's time period. Naruto and Luffy were both rambunctious idiots with clear goals, and constantly did goofy poo poo though they were willing to get serious when it mattered.

Though maybe that was just the nature of the plot in Bleach constantly required Ichigo to be serious or suffering.

I just wish it had more stuff like him trolling Mayuri.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ayon's pretty dope.

You got 3 weakass Arrancars ripping off their arms and fusing them to summon a mindless monster that has vastly superior strength and resilience.

It's design is so whack too, you think it's got a coolass deer skull for a head with a giant mane of hair but no, the deer skull this is actually its loving nose and the horns are its eyelashes.

It just completely murks the vice captains and beats the poo poo outta Jail Quincy, who is also the best Quincy.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Maybe he should have let characters who weren't Renji or Ichigo or Byakuya or Kenpachi or Hitsugaya do stuff.

Rukia barely counts.

Also Hitsugaya has a pretty dismal win record, if you think about it.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sydin posted:

I refuse to be mad about Rukia being popular because Rukia ruled. Honestly even in a perfect world where the story revolved around the best characters Bleach had to offer, she should have been one of them. Her low point was SS where she was paralyzed by her guilt over involving Ichigo in her own affairs, but otherwise she was the perfect counterpart to Ichigo and also had great dynamics with both Renji and Ichigo's group of friends.

I'm not mad about Rukia being popular, I'm just annoyed that she doesn't get many fights.

She only started fighting during the Arrancar arc, which is where she got her 2 big wins (and one of them was an Espada at that!).

During Fullbringer arc she was like the only person to technically lose to her opponent (though to be fair she was dominating the fight itself, she just got caught off guard).

During the Quincy arc she gets like one win (against As Nodt) and even then Byakuya has to come in and encourage her so she can win. Also her bankai is like, Hitsugaya's but worse. Though to be fair Hitsugaya's bankai is said to be the strongest ice-based zanpakuto so I'm not gonna hold that against her.

As a character? She was awesome, constantly kicking Ichigo's rear end whenever he was in a depressed funk to give him the motivation to get back up.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I still wish Kenpachi hadn't gotten a shikai and bankai, as cool as his bankai form looked.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Technically yes but this is Bleach.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Aizen apparently specifically trapped Kenpachi in Huendo Munco because he didn't wanna fight him.

Kild posted:

Well and the whole point of the Hoagie was that Aizen said he was the strongest Shinigami and unable to get any stronger because he hit the species power cap.

Aizen was also afraid to fight Old Yama, so maybe Aizen did hit his cap, but Yama also hit his cap + had higher caps because his old age allowed him to limit break.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cerebral Bore posted:

The problem with late Bleach in general is that Kubo wanted to include more conceptual powers in your standard power creep fightmans shonen, and as such the power creep ensured that we ended up with dozens of powers that should be virtually unbeatable, so Kubo had to asspull his way around them with increasing frequency.

Dude who has an ability that lets him use his opponent as a host so he can reborn dies because his opponent was the one mad scientist on the other team's side insane enough to load his daughter with a fuckton of poisons and drugs just in case someone tried to eat her.

Ain't that some poo poo.

Also the dude used to be the strongest arrancar ever but gave it up so he could become the dude he was when he died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
At least bankais don't provide Full Restores like Arrancar or Quincy second forms do.