Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Didn't Mayuri literally dissect and mutilate Uryu's grandpa, take a photo, and show it to Uryu himself years later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

TheHan posted:

My ideal scenario would’ve been Ikkaku and Yumichika defecting, then having to fight Kenpachi. Could’ve squeezed some emotional investment outta Kenpachi, wrapped up Yumichika and Ikkaku’s character arcs and gotten a cool fight all at the same time.
I just realized all three of these guys and Yachiru held themselves back for different reasons.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Ytlaya posted:

edit: We never found out Aizen's bankai, right? That's annoying.

It's entirely possible he never bothered to learn it, given how overpowered Kyoka Suigetsu is to begin with. But it's equally possible that his Bankai was simply no use to him. It's also entirely possible his Zanpakuto rejected him and wouldn't allow him his Bankai.

Filler suggested that the Hogyoku actually forced out his Zanpakuto spirit and his Zanpakuto has just been a fake the whole time, merely emulating his original Shikai.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

TheHan posted:

Kenpachi joining the rebellion just so he could be opposite the new strongest guys is absolutely what would happen, I was thinking more from the angle of making a better soul society, where adding a guy who’s max violence to your team would be silly. I guess what I’m saying is I’ve been soulpilled by Kaname Tousen.

I mean most of the dudes that follow or followed him seem pretty cool. Renji, Iba, Ikkaku, Yumichika. Kenpachi is is the position of the most insane murder hobo, but Zaraki isn't the worst of the lot. He's certainly better than the nazi scientist or the world's most evil grandpa. And hey, he killed a Captain to get the job. Killing a Captain is more than a lot of people can say they did to make Soul Society a better place.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Spiritus Nox posted:

Didn't Mayuri literally dissect and mutilate Uryu's grandpa, take a photo, and show it to Uryu himself years later

Yes.

Ytlaya posted:

edit: We never found out Aizen's bankai, right? That's annoying.

edit2: I suddenly remembered one of the things that disappointed me the most. The head of the Vaizards with the straight bangs was cool and it made me sad that he jobbed.

My pet theory was always that just as Ichigo had a permanently released shikai because it was so powerful by default it couldn't be sealed, Aizen similarly had a permanently released bankai.

And yeah Shinji was great when he was first introduced, the vizards were hit and miss even before they all turned out to be loving useless but Shinji gave off a great vibe and I liked his dynamic with Ichigo. I wish Kubo had trimmed down the vizard cast to either just Shinji, or him plus 2-3 others. That way they could have gone with Ichigo to HM and gotten to actually do things without bloating the story up too much.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sydin posted:

Yes.

My pet theory was always that just as Ichigo had a permanently released shikai because it was so powerful by default it couldn't be sealed, Aizen similarly had a permanently released bankai.

And yeah Shinji was great when he was first introduced, the vizards were hit and miss even before they all turned out to be loving useless but Shinji gave off a great vibe and I liked his dynamic with Ichigo. I wish Kubo had trimmed down the vizard cast to either just Shinji, or him plus 2-3 others. That way they could have gone with Ichigo to HM and gotten to actually do things without bloating the story up too much.

Vizards being wasted is a shame, because one part of Bleach I really liked were stuff like Turn the Pendulum where we get to see how the events went down in the past, and it was super dope seeing hot-headed young Byakuya or new Captain Urahara and all that jazz. Getting the Isshin backstory was pretty neat too. Characters (not named Ichigo) interacting with each other were really fun.

The loving mini-backstory ends with Shinji going "We Vizards owe Urahara a lot and we gotta pay back Aizen for what he did to us" and then they do jack poo poo.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Spiritus Nox posted:

Mayuri was a great villain whose character remained pretty consistent. The problem was everyone else started to treat him like a wacky sidekick instead of the horrible monster he is.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

chumbler posted:

The final arc being soul society civil war instead of bringing back quincies would've been much better. I honestly can't think of a single one of them that added any value, and only really remember Bambietta who had a pretty rough fate and Bazz B because he was the Renji.

Bambietta was way too cute to get done like that

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I couldn't name more than a handful of Sternritter but can probably picture like all of them.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The baby face wrestler guy absolutely ruled. A couple of the vizards literally jobbed to him and it was unintentionally hilarious.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Vizards being wasted is a shame

Remember how Rose straight up told his enemy how to beat his Bankai and was shocked to immediately get his rear end kicked?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I like the stenritter who always showed up for fights and ended up getting paired off with a soul reaper, but never actually got any fights and as far as I know his ability is "has a gun"

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I remember how Kensei did jack poo poo. He was my favorite...

Didn't he have a loving knuckleduster zanpakutou that shot tornados or some poo poo.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I wonder how much of the stuff we're talking about Tite might had wanted to do but got nixed by his editor. It was either One Piece or DBZ his editor gave him and told him to 'do it like this.'

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Electric Phantasm posted:

I like the stenritter who always showed up for fights and ended up getting paired off with a soul reaper, but never actually got any fights and as far as I know his ability is "has a gun"

Wasn't that Commissioner Gordon? He shot Shunsui's eye out and then Kubo later forgot that and accidentally drew a bunch of chapters where Kyoraku had no eyepatch, which he had to later go back and correct in the tankoban releases.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

I remember how Kensei did jack poo poo. He was my favorite...

Didn't he have a loving knuckleduster zanpakutou that shot tornados or some poo poo.

I don't think we ever saw his abilities. His first fight was off-screen against hollow Ichigo where he kinda implies he could kill him, then what I think was his last fight was against Wonderweiss. It was also offscreen and he got his rear end whooped.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TheHan posted:

I don't think we ever saw his abilities. His first fight was off-screen against hollow Ichigo where he kinda implies he could kill him, then what I think was his last fight was against Wonderweiss. It was also offscreen and he got his rear end whooped.

Oh, I see you've repressed your memories, too.

Hisagi gets chumped by the Mask Quincy.

Kensei fought the Mask Quincy.

Got chumped.

Rose fought the Mask Quincy.

Got chumped.

Renji (previously chumped by Mask Quincy the first time around) comes with his new shikai and chumps Mask Quincy, then Mask Quincy transforms, and then Renji chumps him with his new bankai.

Bleach.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

And it was one of the better sequences of the arc.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Like, you'd think that since Quincies can be poisoned by Hollows (I think using Hollow blood or spiritual residue or whatever was how the captains managed to get back their bankais in the first place), Vizards with their Hollow masks would be a natural counter to them.

But no, I don't think any of the Vizards ever pull out their masks after Aizen gets beat down?

Also the whole thing about Quincies actually having been, uh, weakened? By the Bankais they stole? Cause it kept them from using their Quincy transformations? Did that actually happen or am I misremembering things.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Oh, I see you've repressed your memories, too.

Hisagi gets chumped by the Mask Quincy.

Kensei fought the Mask Quincy.

Got chumped.

Rose fought the Mask Quincy.

Got chumped.

Renji (previously chumped by Mask Quincy the first time around) comes with his new shikai and chumps Mask Quincy, then Mask Quincy transforms, and then Renji chumps him with his new bankai.

Bleach.

Outclassed by Renji :( Death would’ve been kinder to the Vizards. The only things to stick with me from those fights were Rose embarrassing himself, Mask de Masculine and Renji getting a new bankai that was less visually interesting and not as coherent as his original bankai.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Rose was literally winning until he decided to explain how his powers worked because all characters in Bleach have a pathological desire to tell them because that's the only way Kubo can tell you things, cause otherwise you have what happened with Unohana's bankai.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
idk Unohana's bankai seemed pretty clear? It loving melts people. Unohana just kept healing Kenpatchi every time he got killed/melted so he'd come back stronger, until he finally hit his true power and killed her.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Sometimes they’d explain a bankai and it still wouldn’t make sense. Kyoraku’s bankai has a terminal case of late-stage Bleach powers.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

TheHan posted:

Sometimes they’d explain a bankai and it still wouldn’t make sense. Kyoraku’s bankai has a terminal case of late-stage Bleach powers.

Was that childs have bankai he unleashed against Starrk? I didn't understand it either

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SalTheBard posted:

Was that childs have bankai he unleashed against Starrk? I didn't understand it either

That was his shikai wasn't it. I thought he only released his bankai during the Quincy arc.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

That was his shikai wasn't it. I thought he only released his bankai during the Quincy arc.

Yep. His Shikai makes obscure Japanese children's games reality.

Edit: lol I almost forgot we found out at the end there that Nanao was his niece the whole time

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 23, 2020

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SpazmasterX posted:

Yep. His Shikai makes obscure Japanese children's games reality.

Edit: lol I almost forgot we found out at the end there that Nanao was his niece the whole time

I still don't fully understand Deathdealing but to be fair I am a moron and I don't fully understand King Crimson either. Though the latter might be because I only watched clips of Golden Wind and read Hunter x Hunter instead of watching/reading all of Part 5.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
From what I remember Kensei had a wind type sword. His shikai was a dagger that could throw wind blasts and his bankai was 2 gauntlets that when they punched someone would send out wind blasts rapidly as long as they were in contact with an opponent. But yeah Kensei was one of the worst jobbers in Bleach.

TheHan posted:

From what I understood his bankai basically forced everyone around him(including himself) into a contest of strength/spirit power with the losers dying. Too bad his opponent was immortal. I think it was very loosely themed around folk tales?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RatHat posted:

From what I remember Kensei had a wind type sword. His shikai was a dagger that could throw wind blasts and his bankai was 2 gauntlets that when they punched someone would send out wind blasts rapidly as long as they were in contact with an opponent. But yeah Kensei was one of the worst jobbers in Bleach.

From what I understood his bankai basically forced everyone around him(including himself) into a contest of strength/spirit power with the losers dying. Too bad his opponent was immortal. I think it was very loosely themed around folk tales?

God Kensei I loving loved* you, why couldn't you be less of a jobber.

* As much as I could love a character who wasn't Kenpachi or Yoruichi or Urahara and maybe Grimjaw.

Personally, Bleach was just one of the worst offenders of regeneration / healing-via-powerup (only for Quincies and Hollows) ever, and that's even when you consider that the final war in Naruto was waged against immortal regenerating zombies.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Schubalts posted:

Remember how Rose straight up told his enemy how to beat his Bankai and was shocked to immediately get his rear end kicked?

actually he just explained his power was warping reality with music and the wrestler guy decided that meant he could just gouge his own ears out to no-sell it. It's only because of his own wrestling powers that worked.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

TheHan posted:

And let's not even get into the fact that one of his swords wasn't even his, it was Nanao's but Kyoraku was still able to use it because ???

Also that half of his big bankai reveal was that he wanted to bang his own sword.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Stairmaster posted:

actually he just explained his power was warping reality with music and the wrestler guy decided that meant he could just gouge his own ears out to no-sell it. It's only because of his own wrestling powers that worked.

Nah, his bankai makes anyone who hear his music see illusions that become real to them. It requires you to actually hear the music just like Aizen’s illusions require you to see him release his sword.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sydin posted:

And let's not even get into the fact that one of his swords wasn't even his, it was Nanao's but Kyoraku was still able to use it because ???

Also that half of his big bankai reveal was that he wanted to bang his own sword.

I mean Tousen used his old crush's sword. Might even be using the same shikai?

And Kenpachi is also using a sword he lifted off a dude he killed as a kid.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Sydin posted:

I think the implication was that Nanao’s Sword was sealed inside one of his? Her’s had a completely different look and its own set of convoluted powers.

A small mercy was that even though Kubo canonized Kyoraku’s zanpakuto spirit he didn’t change Zabimaru to that horrible big breasted furry woman and child design.

TheHan fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jan 23, 2020

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Sydin posted:

Nanao's zanpakuto was hidden inside Kyokotsu, she wasn't her sword.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Ugh, mentioning Vizoreds reminded me that Mashiro was so loving wasted. Imagine adding a kick-rear end Kamen Rider homage to your manga and then making up some bullshit rule about mask timers just in time to use it to make them job and never be relevant again. Mashiro and Kensei were the best and they didn't get to do poo poo.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

How many loving times did shunsui kill the X-AXIS SNYPAH only for them to come back from the dead due to kubo bullshit? Three? And then he gets killed because nanaos sword reflects his attack back on him or some poo poo. Just absolute dogshit writing. They even made a whole hulabaloo about how shunsui doesn't like using his bankai because it affects (and tries to kill) everyone that get's caught in it and the bad guy's just like "lol nah didn't work im an owl monster now".

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

HerraS posted:

How many loving times did shunsui kill the X-AXIS SNYPAH only for them to come back from the dead due to kubo bullshit? Three? And then he gets killed because nanaos sword reflects his attack back on him or some poo poo. Just absolute dogshit writing. They even made a whole hulabaloo about how shunsui doesn't like using his bankai because it affects (and tries to kill) everyone that get's caught in it and the bad guy's just like "lol nah didn't work im an owl monster now".

There was Sniper, Angel, and then Owl. After his attack got reflected back at him it showed him falling down to Soul Society and splitting into multiple Owls and Kira showing up to fight them.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Considering everybody was fighting bits of the Soul King near the end it was a huge wasted opportunity that we didn't get 50 chapters of the fullbringers and Ganju fighting the Soul King's dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

HerraS posted:

Literally not one of them actually died until Ywach sucked them up, I think.