Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Stairmaster posted:

Sort of. There's a lame chunk in the second novel about mayuri's zombie squad fighting with the surviving quincies & the hueco mundo gang but you also get hisagi content so its all balanced in the end.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bleach/comments/9yvpl8/bleach_tybw_manga_sequel_novel_cant_fear_your_own/ the translations near the bottom.

There's also no ichigo and friends whatsoever and ice guy gets like zero screentime.

reddit link posted:

Every bankai has a weakness. CFYOW states that for example: Zangetsu's bankai uses a violent expenditure of spiritual-pressure. Senbonzakura's bankai has a safe zone close to Byakuya's body where the petals cannot reach. Nozarashi's bankai has an abnormal toll on the user's body. Katen Kyôkotsu's bankai risks involving surrounding allies in the effects of the bankai. While SAFWY states for example: Kyôka Suigetsu's bankai cannot affect a target who has not first seen the initial shikai ritual.
That doesn't sound like much of a weakness to me. What's to stop him from just releasing it midbattle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Schubalts posted:

It was an actual ritual, and the target had to sit there and watch the whole thing. It's not a simple release command like anyone else's. Not something he can just whip out midfight without being interrupted or having the target run the gently caress away. Aizen only got the other Captains because showing your bankai is part of becoming a Captain, so everyone in the room had to watch him the entire time. It's elaborate enough that he tricked all of them into thinking his shikai was his bankai.

The way I understood it was that the ritual was actually all captains standing there staring as the new captain showed off his shikai and bankai.
This becomes hilarious when you remember that Kyoraku and the Vaizard with the teeth have AoE bankai. The latter's bankai in fact causes affiliation to switch. So you can become "evil" I guess. Time for an alignment derail.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Sydin posted:

The Yhwach inside Ichigo's soul wasn't copying Zangetsu's powers, he was just pretending to be the source of them when really it was Hollow Ichigo/real Zangetsu. He also tells Ichigo during the reveal that Ichigo's shinigami power up to that point was "the fraction of your power I was unable to suppress" so he was somehow restraining Zangetsu but unable to fully destroy/purify/etc him.

The problem is that old man Zangetsu actually not being the real one and instead being a secret quincy is very obviously a retcon, so the actual relationship between him, Ichigo, and Ichigo's hollow can't ever really make consistent sense.

There's a brilliant image floating around that I can't find right now that highlights that Ichigo was calling the wrong guy Zangetsu which included shots from SS arc. Most prominent being Blut vene being used against Kenpachi.
That made me think it wasn't a retcon, just a good idea from Kubo with a starting point and an endpoint and no idea on how to get from A to Z

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Apparently Rangiku was a Soul kings finger nail. :psyduck:

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

he recycled a character design with a note that said 'backwards????' underneath it. shinji in the manga didn't have anything to do with the version that appeared on a single title page with all of ichigo's school friends.

When did Kubo ever reuse a design? Man this comment would've been a lot funnier if I had the many Aizens sheet.
Still, I also have faith in Kubo that he had a few great ideas.

So as far as I know Aizen doesn't have a Bankai right? So I wonder what he made everyone think his bankai did during the ceremony. :allears:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
[/quote]

Amazing how I can actually miss that, it's been so ingrained in me that he has no Bankai. :psyduck:

Now I really want to know what his Bankai does.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Rody One Half posted:

Four of them stronger than any captain except none of them were stronger than any captain

Maybe they assumed Renji would be captain by then. :shrug:

Remember how Renji got a new Bankai.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Sydin posted:

What's more annoying is that Urahara - a central character to the events of the entire narrative and really should have been around for the final conflict - instead just has a side fight where he kills an elite mook like he's a nothing side character and is then gone for the conclusion of the story.

Also that in said fight his usual tactics do a 180. He was never really implied to be overwhelmingly powerful as a shinigami, but he was smart and came prepared to fights, so he ends up fending off Yammy and playing off Aizen's ever inflating confidence to sneak a seal onto him. But then when Urahara fights the Quincy guy he just has the same fight everybody else in the series has where he reveals at the last second that he conveniently has a power that is a perfect counter to his opponent's, and mindlessly overwhelms him in power.

He didn't overwhelm him though? He basically loses, but wins because his Bankai made a hole for Grimmjow to rip out Poison Aizens heart. He then still pretty much dies, but it's implied Nel saved them from the Gift ball.
It's a simultaneously a good fight and a terrible fight. It's good in that he loses, but they win through thinking.
It's bad in that it took forever to happen. First we had him fight Yoruichi's annoying sibling. Then Yoruichi, then Yoruichi lightning cat fanservice mode, then Urahara, then Urahara Bankai. I forget, didn't he fight Ichigo in that gauntlet as well?

TheHan posted:

Urahara won though? He somehow made a path in the ground for Grimmjaw to travel through and rip out Askin’s heart. They even both survive his final gift ball somehow.

The last time we see the ball with the hole is when Nel sees it. It's implied she saved them. Which is the only thing she did in the entire arc.

Real Cool Catfish posted:

The last few pages of this thread have not made it any clearer what Aizen’s Shikai and Bankai are.

Anyway, better arc than all the Quincy crap would’ve been overthrowing soul society for sure. You’ve got some good captains who could join team Ichigo, and on the other hand you have Josef Mengele and Flameo Hitler who really, really shouldn’t be on the side of the protagonists lmao.
Shikai is perfect infinite hypnosis cast upon release of Shikai. Bankai we have no idea.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Tonfa posted:

I reread the Blood War and Askin is the only alphabet villain that was fun to read. Still should have permanently died to Actual Sword cutting him though.

The absolute dregs was Thor. Endless chapters of "ah but wouldn't it be a Miracle if I didn't lose," There were half a dozen others that had the same power to no-sell everything but he was around the longest and did absolutely nothing different ever

Lol that moment with "My swords power is that it just cuts stuff" was so great. :allears:
Also the teamwork of the 0 division.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

TheHan posted:

sword maker guy also briefly made Renji look cool, something that seemed impossible.

In his defense, he made Renji look like a chump first by revealing that he had the wrong name for his sword.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Sydin posted:

I like how the monk guy got like five chapters of absolutely dunking on Yhwach, but then Yhwach just went "lol no" and instantly won because his power is "gently caress you I win"

I never did understand how the monk suddenly exploded.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Sydin posted:

It must really suck spending upwards of decades, even centuries in some cases, of your un-life on mastering the power of your bankai, only to realize it's a giant bubble that cuts off senses your opponents don't really need in combat anyway because of how the universe works, or a giant punchy robot who mimics your moves but is also the worlds easiest target, transfers any damage it takes directly to you, and is about as durable as tissue paper.
It only transferred damage because of the close bond Komomura had with his Bankai.

I keep wondering how the hell did the old man defeat Ywach in the first battle.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Bible Ian Black posted:

The last good fight was Mask De Masculine dunking on all the captains because it was the last part of the series that was over the top in a silly way instead of an overly serious way. Some might argue that it was tonally inconsistent with the rest of the arc but I think the arc needed the levity of a german luchador blasting star-shaped holes in people and being regenerated by an immortal hype man named James.
The whole Mask sequence was fantastic. The reveal of 2 bankais and how easily they were beaten. One of them specifically because he felt the need to explain how it works.

Stairmaster posted:

He used his bankai plus he was probably a bit more fit as a young man
How would that help if he can just pick the option where you exploded like with monk guy. :psyduck:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

lezard_valeth posted:

Which was the 2nd Bankai?

Also my guess is that during the 1st war they simply stalled Yhwach out, since apparently his Almighty ability only activates after a certain time has passed and doesn't last forever.

Plus unless I'm misremembering he didn't have the Sternritters back then, and I remember it being said that he gives the power to them and when they die he regains that power plus their abilities (though he never makes use of any of them) so he was stronger the 2nd time around.

Or maybe one of the old captains had a sword that couldn't cut anything unless you were called Yhwach, you know, classic Bleach stuff :shrug:

Rose showed of his bankai and told Masc how it worked and was immediately stomped. Kensei showed off his (he could punch things) and was defeated immediately as well.

He did use a power once though, once Ichibe crushed his throat he gave himself the power of voice.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Aizen bankai reveal?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Anime adaption could be metal as gently caress with some of the stuff that happens....and maybe they'll fix some things?

I did not see Burn the Witch coming. The one shot didn't get me that interested, though it's going to be amusing to see if they acknowledge the Soul King.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

HerraS posted:

cant wait for the sternritter soundtrack thats just tubas and accordions going oom pah pah oom pah pah

who am I kidding they'll just spruce up the Horst Wessel Lied

An die Freude!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Pyrus Malus posted:

this thread resurrected the Bleach anime prove me wrong

Does saying "you're wrong" really loudly count as proof?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Sydin posted:

I'm curious if BtW is going to continue off the one-shot chapter, or if it's going to be like Bleach's prototype chapter and Kubo will shuffle everything around when the series starts proper. I'm hoping the latter: even ignoring unfunny horny guy BtW was kind of a whirlwind of disjointed ideas that could work but they need to be organized way better.

So...typical Kubo?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

MJeff posted:

The owl fight is interminable but I still like Kyoraku's bankai a lot.

Giant fight is just irredeemably terrible though, not even Kenpachi's bankai can save it, not even a little bit. The whole thing with Hitsugaya's petals was a gigantic letdown too. There was a lot of points where things were just getting worse and worse (I think the point where things started going really downhill was Kenpachi vs. Gremmy) but that loving giant fight is the true point of no return. It's so awful.

I think the only good thing left in the entire manga at that point is Aizen :smug:ing at Ywach.

I will stick up for a LOT of stuff in that arc before Kenpachi vs. Gremmy, though. Rukia and Byakuya vs. the Fear guy? Fuckin' swwwwwwweeeeeet.

Kenpachi vs Gremmy was good though. It was the right kind of stupid.

Fear guy was fantastic and one of those fights that shows how good of an artist Kubo is.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

lezard_valeth posted:

Byakuya should have died twice in Bleach for narrative impact and yet he didn't because popularity.

Hell, Hinamori should have died twice but she didn't because that would have turned Aizen from a troll into an actual villain an Aizen was just too much popular as a troll.

Ironically, dieing would've elevated his popularity even further.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Rangiku had a bit of the Soul King's spirit in her, sorta like how Ukitake had the Soul King's arm. Except in her case it was like a fingernail or something.

Aizen extracted it from her for his experiments, and Gin saw that, which is why Gin's held a grudge against Aizen since then.

She really needed that fingernail in her.

I wonder what powers it bestowed.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Tunicate posted:

well yeah he invented chad

And Renji.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Safety Biscuits posted:

Shoot a kido at the absorbent sword, then point the attacking sword at the absorbent one to create an infinite loop and one-shot anyone.

That's literally what the Seven Deadly sins often do as one of their guys can reflect attacks back at double strength. :shrug:

Also I'm pretty sure Shunsui still had 2 swords, it's just that one of his swords was holding another sword inside of it? It's vague....and stupid. But at least it got rid of owlflamingocentaurtrumpeteer

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

I kinda had a realization about Ichigo's motivation throughout the series. The big problem was that Ichigo kinda DID have a motivation at the beginning: He wanted to get the Hollow who killed his mom. The issue is that then he killed Grand Fisher at the end of that first arc and oops there goes his character. Like, they brought Grand Fisher back, I guess, but that's stupid/

Grand fisher wasn't killed. Ichigo drove him off.
He was then killed by his dad and Ichigo doesn't even know.

They really should've mined the grand fisher for more.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

One piece looks like poo poo.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
4 chapters? Not sure if disappointed or not. But at least it should mean it's properly planned and hopefully gets more Kubo art love.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

RealFoxy posted:

I downloaded this for my tablet out of curiosity and there's such a steep learning curve* for all the gacha mechanics if you've never played a gaccha game before. Like, they gave me 50 Kons and I didn't know you could go to a separate menu to sell them all so I did it one-by-one. After that I found out I should've ended up fusing them into a different champion instead.

They also give you a max-level 6-Star champion of your choice* right off the bat which makes the story mode a breeze (You pick between 10 out of the ENTIRE pool of characters, and you get one out of the 10)

Wait, Kon is a currency? I guess we've agreed that mod souls aren't people.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

PringleCreamEgg posted:

drat that is some interesting anatomy. There was a hilarious tumblr about rubber spines and weird limbs.

I like how her abdomen clip into her hips

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Female Byakuya has big breasts, female Ichigo appears to be flat. I see Kubo went all out in diversity. Actually, that's not fair. Rukia was also petite.

Also good to see that Urahara, Santa and Ywach still have work as well.

This looks fun though, I look forward to the next 5 chapters.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Kubo’s problem is that he generally draws either no breasts or huge knockers. You can see it in his human friends.
There's no in between.
Yoruichi is closest to in between.

And naming Hiro is cheating. He doesn't draw women, he draws pin up dolls.(That somehow still look more hi and than what Oda craps out)

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Mask was so awesome, he deserved to win.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I have no idea what’s going on and what’s Ganju doing there?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
There sure was a lot happening this chapter

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Good news everyone!

Burn the witch is apparently getting a second season!

Maybe that will mean he will slow down a bit on his massive walls of text and stuff happening so we can actually follow what's happening.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Still can’t wait for Ichigo to show up and see him next to Ichigo with tits

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I'm really curious how burn the witch did. It didn't do it for me at least.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

TheHan posted:

People are also way into Bangnyfe, even though he's another generic Kubo pretty boy.

Goddamn how bad is Samurai 8?

A name like Bangnyfe does a lot to endear him to me.

I couldn't get through Samurai 8 due to the messy art.

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, Shueisha pushed it HARD for understandable reasons and....people just didn't like it.

Yeah, it was literally everywhere on their website. Meanwhile, Spy vs Family and Chainsaw man stole all the Raiton from under them.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Shadow0 posted:

I doubt the story would have better better or more coherent if he had been in better health or had had more time. Just look at any previous arc. The problem is, and maybe this is a problem with many works, Kubo didn't have a story to tell, he didn't have anything thought out ahead of time. It was all just a string of whatever he thought was cool at the time.

Honestly all we ever wanted from him. Having everyone show up for a cool moment against Ywach in a final battle could've been fun.

Remember the fullbrings and how they were teased?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

lezard_valeth posted:

Wasn't there something along the lines of the Quincies having been watching all along for 1000 years from the literal shadows of Soul Society? Maybe they were just peeping at the wrong time.

Yeah, that just makes it even more ridiculous. Because then all the Quincies have been watching TV together from the shadows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I think it's implied that by the time of the Arrancar arc Ichigo and Rukia are too senior for plain old exorcism jobs and that one recurring doofus (and later those two kid Soul Reapers) are the ones doing it instead.

Now I want to see Kenpachi do an exorcism.