Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

OP corrections/additions as I spot them:

Kintamayama said he retired but then kept posting videos (and faster than before he "retired"), so who knows. Either way, should include a link to his channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/Kintamayama

And in case he actually stops posting, also a link to Natto's channel of similar compilations:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzZ8v5JF3IyxLWOCGKpcP0g

Also for the twitch viewing, links to both mbovo and Karla:
https://www.twitch.tv/mbovosumo
https://www.twitch.tv/karla_marxist

Banzuke is the rankings list for the tournament, tournament is Basho. (You obviously already know this but the post doesn't reflect that in one spot)

Would also like to include a link to this site:
http://heyaaz.nagioff.com/2019/2019.html
This has the pictures of every single Rikishi and Oyakata, as well as all Tokoyama (hairdressers), Gyoji (refs), Yobidashi (announcers) and other staff, the pictures are taken once a year and go back to about the year 2000(click on a picture to see all the old ones), and clicking on a name will take you to their SumoDB entry. It also lets you quickly browse by stable if you want to get a feel for the strength of a specific one.

This one I'm not too sure about, but I believe only Kinboshi (beating Yokozuna as M#) gets a permanent salary increase, I think the prizes (Shukun-sho/Kanto-sho/Gino-sho) are just a one time bonus sum, I'm not 100% on that though so please correct if I'm wrong.

Also Jason is a history teacher not an English teacher :shrug:.

As for the number of guys at each rank, it's supposed to be 2 komusubi and 2 sekiwake, but sometimes it isn't, for example most recently in November we had 4 Komusubi, and it was somewhat plausible that we would have ended up with 3 or 4 sekiwake this tournament but they decided not to do it (sorry Abi).

In theory the Yokozuna and Ozeki are supposed to win most tournaments, but in practice:

Our current Ozeki are constantly injured and showing mediocre performances, Takakeisho is now an Ozeki but wasn't when he won there, now that I'm looking at it, the last time an Ozeki won was Kisenosato, the now retired Yokozuna.

Brut fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Rigel posted:

Our local boy (Wakaichiro, probably the most well-known young American prospect in sumo) is Sd64E for this tournament. A tough fall for him after going 2-5 for November, but at least they still kept him in the Sandamne rank in January.

Here he is visiting home during the holidays:

https://twitter.com/mmykrs/status/1210749819532107777

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Mekchu posted:

Does it matter if I pick all guys from East or should I have a mix of East & West Rikishi for my fantasy?

East is considered above West in terms of rankings, but it doesn't really matter. For Ozeki/Yokozuna it's a good 1-glance indication of their previous performance relative to each other as they get moved around instead of demoted/promoted most of the time, but like if someone got promoted from m8 to m4 it doesn't really matter if he landed on east or west

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

http://heyaaz.nagioff.com/2019/Kabu_AZ.html

Here's the list of Kabu including full body pictures going back about 100 years, browse the various names and see how much smaller these guys used to be.

Miyagino-Oyakata could get special approval to stay on until 70, right?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

What I also find kinda weird is that even before you become an elder, you're still doing SOMETHING for the organization, it's real bizarre seeing Kisenosato fight as a Yokozuna and then a couple months later seeing him be the security guard in the hallway the wrestlers walk up.

I'm looking at the Kabu list and I noticed there's some cases of Gyoji becoming Oyakata, but I can't find a recent example, was this a decently common practice that was changed or is each of those some special exceptional circumstance?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Thauros posted:

don't remember a sumo thread before but i welcome it as friends got me into it a year and a half ago once i found out how to watch it daily in 20 or less minutes. would recommend adding tachiai.org to the op as i've found it incredibly useful in learning more about both the tactics and poltics unique to the sport.

my main thought on the banzuke for this month is that terutsuyoshi got robbed. feel bad for abi as well as it's not his fault the ozeki have disintegrated but i'm not gonna blame the nsk for that one.

The old thread's OP is from like 2012 and it was in SAS.

I was hoping Abi would get in as 3rd Sekiwake which would possibly slide Daiesho up to S2W to balance out the Banzuke, but even if that makes some sense they're probably extra discouraged to do that immediately after a 4 Komusubi Banzuke.

I actually hadn't realized the Terutsuyoshi situation, you seem to be right, though maybe a slower rise up the ranks would be good for his health, don't wanna break the little guy just yet.

Rigel posted:

I don't know how the hell I managed to leave tachiai.org off the OP. It is in there now.

Whoops I also should have mentioned that, great Jungyo coverage.

I haven't slept in a while (so that someone isn't me) but someone should probably type up a thing about what the gently caress is Jungyo, or there's probably a tachiai article on it.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

I'd like to formally request someone make a new OP for the general thread in RR or we at least move the old one over here. Honestly though the old OP is pretty old, and maybe we could get a handful of new posters in here with an updated OP.

This thread is it. Not a single person has posted in the old general thread since this one was created/linked and it's not like the Basho's started already, it had 166 pages but was from january 2012.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

I vote we just bully Jerusalem in to changing the thread title once in a while.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

PYF Hakuho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d8ZGmaakt8

(It's actually the weird standing outside the ring one but someone already posted it)

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

coconono posted:

oh I assumed they were rioting because the fave just lost decisively to a young upstart.

Well, they are, Kinboshi is just the usual suspect but any major upset in the last couple matches of the day will result in some pillows thrown, though I can't remember when I last saw so many, compared to that Hakuho/Asashoryu match.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Mekchu posted:

Why does the guy on the right of the screen at 2:20 not have the hair tied up?

Hair's too short, Mitaekumi entered through the Tsukedashi program which means due to success in university sumo/amateur sumo/some other sumo (in his case university sumo), he got to debut at Makushita #10 in March of 2015. This is November 2015 so his hair had been growing for less than a year. That's why on sumodb his first rank is listed as "Ms10TD".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv0ExjRqz58

Here's a similar situation of newcomer Ichinojo with the extra unusual bit of this being his second Yokozuna fight despite being at M10 in his Makuuchi debut, they had him fight 2 Ozeki and 2 Yokozuna because he was crushing everyone else, I still hope that dude figures out his weight/back stuff but he probably won't.

Brut fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 8, 2020

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

coconono posted:

henka is the dodge so your opponent barrels out of bounds, right? if so I like it the best because it demonstrates a higher level of mental fluidity than HIT MAN LOTS MAKE MAN BACK UP FROM LOTS HITS

Yes, but specifically at the very beginning of the match. If you've had one collision of any sort afterwards everything is fair game even to grumpy old men.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

here comes the spunk posted:

here's a odd question

are there sumo groupies?

I feel like of the half dozen or so "Rikishi is getting married/got married" news I've seen in the last couple years, most of them had the some line about the woman being a fan at first.

These dudes live and breathe sumo though I can't really think of where else they'd meet anyone.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

rare Magic card l00k posted:

The matchups are decided by the grumpy old men.

My understanding is that generally you face the 15 competitors around your rank, so a Yokozuna will face the 15 highest-ranked competitors, although if someone drops out, he might face someone below that rank.

For example, last tournament Hakuho's lowest-ranked opponent was maegashira 5 west due to the other Yokozuna, Kakuryu, two Ozeki, and a Sekiwake dropping out.

Yeah basically this, though they're decided day-by-day so throughout the tournament if someone is doing exceptionally well they might move them up to fight some high rankers, as I mentioned before Ichinojo's debut in the division was M10 and yet he ended up fighting 2 Ozeki and 2 Yokozuna. More recently Tomokaze was brought up from M7w to fight Kakuryu because he was 9-3 going in to day 13.

Usually on day 1 most guys will fight the person with the same rank as them, just the opposite side, but because they want to leave the big matches to the end of the tournament (Ozeki vs Ozeki, Yokozuna vs Yokozuna, Yokozuna vs Ozeki), that means for the first week or so the Ozeki/Yokozuna are fighting the Komubusbi/M1/M2/M3 guys.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

coconono posted:

are any of these sumo guys on twitter? Hakuho and Enho are now my faves

There's been increasing twitter activity from some Rikishi over the past couple years but an incident (or maybe several?) recently where some of them posted some videos of inappropriate behavior led to them being told to cut it out (the posting on social media, not the inappropriate behavior, because of course).

Here's Hakuho's twitter, he used to mostly tweet in Mongolian but it's been a healthy mix and even with English translations lately.

https://twitter.com/HakuhoSho69

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/NhkSumo/status/1215946630932893696

Here's Araiso Oyakata (Kisenosato) practicing with Asanoyama.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

trivia question: what's the lowest rank to have won a sumo title?

Before what's considered the "Modern sumo era" there's a record of Dewaminato winning from M17w with a 13-0 in 1939:

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&form1_rank=M17&form1_y=on

M16/M15 comes up blank, but at M14 there is a 1914 Yusho by Ryogoku with a 9-0-1 record. I don't know what the hell either one of these scores mean other than "no losses" since these are using old systems.

As for the modern era, Tamanoumi won his first and only Yusho in 1957 with a 15-0 record from M14e, however earlier that same year he posted two 11-4 records from the Sekiwake rank, he found himself at M14 due to pulling out of half of one tournament and an entire additional one.

Fast forward to history that someone posting here might even have seen live, Takatoriki got a Yusho with a 13-2 record, also from M14e, losing only to both the Hawaiian Yokozuna Akebono and Musashimaru, who he was matched against on days 13 and 14 due to his exceptional performance.

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&form1_rank=M14&form1_y=on

Brut fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 11, 2020

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

Quick tangent: does anybody here actually like watching the ceremonial stuff?

Some of it, the ring entering ceremonies are alright since you get to see all the goofy pictures on the Kesho-Mawashi and the Rikishi themselves sometimes do funny stuff like bump in to each other, though that mostly happens in Jungyo and not during a live Basho.

Retirement ceremonies can be cool to see too, though good footage is rare.

If I'm not watching live whether or not I fast forward through a lot of the foot stomping/salt throwing stuff will depend on who the commentator for the day is and if anything/anyone interesting is visible in the crowds.

Brut fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 11, 2020

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Come watch the opening and low divisons

Hattorizakura is not fighting today but it's probably still worth checking out, should start at 8 AM JST. (about 30 minutes from this post)

EDIT: Whoops I was wrong it's 8:30 JST, so 20 minutes from this edit.

Brut fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 12, 2020

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

how was that not a henka? his hands were nowhere near the ground

A henka is when you jump out of the way at the start instead of going forward.

The fists coming down at the same time are just a symbol of mutual consent, as long as the Gyoji feels like both of them went at the same time, they can let the match continue at their discretion. In this case this man appears to basically be almost unable to actually touch his fists to the ground, but still able to fight well enough that he went 3-4 in that Basho and 4-3 in the next, so they let it slide.

Edit: If you go frame by frame you can actually see his right fist pretty much touch the ground, I believe his left one was still a bit higher up but it's hard to see since this is the behind-the-Gyoji view.

Here are 3 consecutive frames:

See that weird flesh colored blur under the Gyoji's knee in the middle frame? Yeah that's the right fist. It's often that case that when they show a slow motion replay of a fight (which they almost never do for these low divisions) it becomes way clearer that fists touched down when it looks like they didn't.

Brut fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 12, 2020

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

shoplifter posted:

These lower divisions sure are something

Yeah of about 45~ current stable only 29 have any Rikishi in the paid ranks, so all those other guys gotta go somewhere.

Here's the full list since I was curious enough to compile it just now

Arashio(2)
Chiganoura(3)
Dewanoumi(1)
Hakkaku(2)
Isegahama(3)
Isenoumi(2)
Kasugano(3)
Kataonami(1)
Kise(5)
Kokonoe(4)
Michinoku(2)
Minato(1)
Miyagino(3)
Nishikido(1)
Nishonoseki(1)
Oguruma(2)
Oitekaze(7)
Onomatsu(1)
Sadogatake(5)
Sakaigawa(3)
Shibatayama(1)
Shikoroyama(2)
Tagonoura(1)
Takadagawa(2)
Takasago(2)
Tamanoi(1)
Tatsunami(2)
Tokitsukaze(3)
Tomozuna(3)

Shikihide, the stable with all the Zakuras only have wreslers in the lowest 3 divisions, but that 16 year old Andozakura dude we saw looked alright, maybe he's their hope now.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

what's up with the dude singing between matches?

That's the Yobidashi, he's calling the fighters up by name, they're also responsible for some other stuff like sweeping and bringing the salt.

Half of what he's singing sounds the same every time cuz he's saying west/east.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Mekchu posted:

These are effectively the amateur ranks right?

Pretty much

The first 12 matches was the lowest division which as long as you show up you can be in for ever, these matches are Jonidan, the second division. Most of the stuff on stream is Japanese but you can see the numbers up at the top:

You can cross reference these numbers to today's Torikumi (match schedule) to figure out who's fighting, right now it's #89 vs #89 and they go up sequentially so there's a little over 40 matches in this division to go for today.

Marching Powder posted:

my understanding is only the top division gets paid so yeah i guess it's suitable to call this amateur

They live in the stable and do get a little bit of an allowance but it's not much, the top 2 divisions are the salaried ranks, those are also the only divisions that fight all 15 days straight as opposed to get assigned 7 fights(very rarely 8 if scheduling is weird) with off days here and there.

Brut fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 12, 2020

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

top 2 divisions get paid? cool.

when you say second division do you mean second from the bottom or just below the top division?

From the bottom. The arena is going to be filled with people by the time Juryo (the division below the top division) starts, which should be around...2:30-3 PM JST. There's only 13 Juryo fights scheduled.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

i also think it's pretty cool that the low ranked dudes still get televised.

So about that, I don't think they do.

This broadcast is coming from AbemaTV, which is an internet-only tv thing (https://abema.tv), which is freely viewable (no account creation, just click a channel) as long as you're connecting from a Japanese IP.

The NHK broadcast (Japanese national TV) I believe starts with Juryo, and the English commentators don't show up until Makuuchi is about to start usually.

Unfortunately neither NHK nor Abema have any way for me to give them money to view their content internationally.

Brut fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 12, 2020

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

So what's happening right now is a short break to change Shimpans, the 5 elders that sit around the Dohyo and raise their arm should they notice that a Gyoji might have called a fight wrong, they take turns though.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

lol

where are we up to? what div is this?

This is the top of Makushita division, Ms5e Naya vs Ms 6e Chiyokokuni. Two more Makushita fights and then it's Juryo. If you're just tuning back in the Juryo opening ceremony typically takes place just before the last 5 Makushita fights, to give the Juryo guys time to change to their fighting gear after the ring ceremony, so you can rewind a bit to see tat if you want.

Anyway by the time I've edited this post, Juryo is starting, first fight Hoshoryu (Asashoryu's nephew) vs Sakigake (J14e vs J14w)

Brut fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jan 12, 2020

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Bentai posted:

Has the sumo.or.jp site just been super slow to update, or were there really only 4 Sandanme matches today?

They will update things live match-by-match during Juryo/Makuuchi but they don't really keep up during the lower divisions, they just kinda catch up later.

You can see this page for the scheduled bouts though:
http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Results.aspx?b=202001&d=1

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Mekchu posted:

Alright, one of the guys I picked is on the Dahyo now. Let's go baby.

Edit - wait wrong guy.

All the picks are from the top division (Makuuchi), this is the division before it (Juryo).

Marching Powder posted:

i think it's interesting to see how sumo treat their defeated opponent after pushing them out. like that one he grabbed his hand to stabilise his opponent which is nice. i need about ten seconds or so before i'm ready to hug the guy who was just trying to kill me.

This really varies from one to another, I've seen both Gagamaru (Georgian) and Aoiyama (Bulgarian) Oops I think I meant Kaisei (Brazilian) actually lose matches because they slow down to prevent someone from falling out too hard and then get the position reversed.

Brut fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jan 12, 2020

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Mekchu posted:

Yeah I realized I made a mistake. I picked a bunch of guys who started with "T" so just didn't really pay attention to the skill level.

Yeah I replied after your edit I'm just being over-informative for the benefit of whoever might be reading.

Also great to see Terunofuji winning, he's a former Ozeki who fell all the way down to second division (from the bottom) due to a combination of knee injuries and diabetes, he's finally climbed back up to Juryo.

Marching Powder posted:

did someone say there's an english language broadcast for the top division? where can i watch that?

Depending on where you are in the world, your cable provider might give you access to an NHK international channel that might also be showing it.

Brut fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 12, 2020

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Rigel posted:

Welcome to day 1, yall.

Kotoyuki (M3W) is kyujo, not sure what his injury is, but anytime someone is out on day 1, it is usually not good. Everyone else is good to go for day 1.

Chronic elbow injury he's been dealing with for years according to his Oyakata.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

another question: what are those dangly things on their thingy that they have to tuck out the way when they squat and usually take it off post match?

That's called Sagari, the ones for the bottom 4 divisions are soft while the ones used in Juryo/Makuuchi are a bit more stiff, it's part of the ritual they don't serve any practical purpose, though that match where Hakuho stood outside the arena demanding a Matta after the fact seemed to involve him grabbing the Sagari when he was reaching for the belt, so sometimes that happens.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

thanks! can you explain this bit a little more?

The part where reached for the belt and instead accidentally grabbed the sagari which is basically velcro'd on the inside and thus wasn't useful in any way? Or the part where for whatever reason he thought that meant the bout hadn't started correctly (it did), cuz I can't explain that part, that was just Hakuho being crazy. I can post the video again though if you just have no idea what I'm referencing.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Brut posted:

The part where reached for the belt and instead accidentally grabbed the sagari which is basically velcro'd on the inside and thus wasn't useful in any way? Or the part where for whatever reason he thought that meant the bout hadn't started correctly (it did), cuz I can't explain that part, that was just Hakuho being crazy. I can post the video again though if you just have no idea what I'm referencing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoiEcW3Rp1k&t=270s

Here it is, (should start at 4:30, just before the match.)

Yago vs Tobizaru huh? Wonder if Tobizaru is gonna jump away.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

that absolutely looked to me like hakuho stopped thinking it was a false start but he's not the ref

Yeah that's pretty much what it comes down to, and yeah Matta is false start. Similar to "protect yourself at all times", here, really.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Dude on the right here is Ichinojo, biggest man in the top division, except he's not in the top division right now cuz he got too big and hosed up his back. I actually forgot he was down here for this tournament.

Edit: drat it, he's still looking quite weak.

Brut fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 12, 2020

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

What you're seeing now is unique to day 1, this is the opening ceremony.

Back row L to R: Abi, Asanoyama, Takayasu, Daiesho
Front row L to R: Takakeisho, Hakuho, Kakuryu, Goeido.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

thanks! why only those guys?

Anyone ranked Komusubi or above. They even match the east/west thing (east is on the left, unlike on maps).

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Mekchu posted:

So am I right in that the reason the guys who just competed stay in the (general) stage area to give the water to the next guy because the 2nd guy is of a higher rank?

The guy who just lost goes to the back, the guy who just won sticks around to pass the "power water" to the next guy coming out from that side, for good luck or something. That person usually ends up being slightly higher ranked in the first few days due to how the scheduling works but that's just incidental.

Hearing Mitakeumi announced without Komusubi/Sekiwake in front of his name is real weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Oh hey the NHK rebroadcast is live:

They're still on Japanese but I assume will switch to English by the time matches start.