Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

ilmucche posted:

Does sumo not have a big stretching element? It seems like training being so traditional would mean flexibility would big. That massive low ranking fella in the OP seems like he can barely lift his legs.

Can't find a video showing it, but most wrestlers should be able to do splits or near splits and rest their chest on the ground.

Whether they're any good at shiko is another thing.

Edit: here's some flexibility training and some standing on lower rank wrestlers:

https://youtu.be/ULbnZNF2YnQ

Elissimpark fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jan 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

pseudodragon posted:

Orora, the fat dude in the OP is a bad example of a legit sumo dude and was basically a freakshow. He was literally the fattest dude ever in sumo and was 650 lbs by the time he retired. He could barely get up the steps to the ring.

One thing in lower level sumo is that it's basically open to everyone. Until you get to the second highest division, you don't get paid. It's just room and board and you have to do all the chores around the stable so stables will let just about everyone hang around even if they have no potential.

One example would be Hattorizakura, widely regarded as the worst wrestler ever with a career record of 3-172 but they keep him around because he loves the sport.

https://twitter.com/sergseb/status/1204656970021703680

Hattorizakura's beya, Shikihide, basically takes anyone who has a passion for sumo, however crap. It's their thing. They're pretty popular amongst sumo purists apparently.

Orora, I think, stayed in sumo for health cover because he has some condition or other related to his size. He's Russian, so probably he figured it was a good compromise.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

I guess not entirely surprising.

Miyagino-oyakata hits mandatory retirement age in the next 2 years and the heya has doubled in size in the past few years (interestingly, mostly small dudes), so looks like maybe they're gearing up for a hand off to Hakuho-beya (or maybe he'll take the Miyagino kabu, which I'm kinda leaning towards).

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Not their actual name, but the name attached to "stock" or kabu in the NSK. Basically, to stay in the NSK after retirement, a wrestler has to get their mitts on one of the elder names, which allows them to run a heya, work in the NSK and receive ongoing retirement pay.

If you can't buy one, you can borrow one from some one who has one, but isn't using it for whatever reason (still wrestling, or maybe using someone elses too). There's probably some byzantine politics that goes along with this - I've read that certain names tend to stay within certain ichimon. For example, former sekiwake Kaiki owns the name Takashima, but is currently using the name Oshima after swapping use of the name Tomokaze with former sekiwake Kyokutenho who had started as Oshima-oyakata after retiring.

Dai-Yokozuna, like Takanohana and Chiyonofuji are offered one generation names (their shikona) to use as an elder. Takanohana took them up, but has now left the NSK. Chiyonofuji refused and became Kokonoe-oyakata. Hakuho will be offered this, and he'll probably have the option of taking over the Miyagino when the current holder retires in the next year or two.

After the scandals in 2011 about matchfixing, the selling of the kabu was banned by the NSK, but I have a feeling that hasn't really solved the problem. I'm sure that after receiving a kabu from the NSK, you probably might gift the previous owner say, a large amount of cash, to show appreciation. Totally not because you're buying the kabu, nosiree.

When you're using a kabu, you'll be officially known by that name. So if you see Kyokutenho as a shimpan on TV, he'll be billed as Tomokaze-oyakata. If you have your original name in the sumo world, you've probably done something wrong.

Even the hairdressers have shikona!

efb!

Kenning posted:

I wonder what their criteria are for who gets stock now.

Byzantine sumo politics. Did I stutter?!

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Kenning posted:

Honestly the bits where large men run into each other on a big pile of dirt is secondary to the bits where old men are grumpy in confusing ways.

That's why we have the YDC. To ensure that the confusing grumpiness is undertaken with clear sight of the correct amounts of confusion and grumpiness.

Brut posted:

http://heyaaz.nagioff.com/2019/Kabu_AZ.html

Here's the list of Kabu including full body pictures going back about 100 years, browse the various names and see how much smaller these guys used to be.

That's super cool. I haven't seen that before!

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Kenning posted:

For people who are interested in true sumo ephemera, this is a wonderful interview with an Isegahama tokoyama (hairdresser) from 2006.

I love this stuff. Often the live broadcast has little vignettes like this, and I wish I could record them because they're often super niche.

There was one a couple of years ago where they chatted to the old guy who weaves the white string that the tokoyama use to tie up mage.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

PYF Hakuho

https://youtu.be/WrZW8LzPLks

The grumpy men get their fundoshi in knots about Hakuho, but drat he can be entertaining.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

coconono posted:

The idea of a champion rolling up to potential opponents’ practices just to Wreck Their poo poo is some serious BDE.

Former Yokozuna Asashoryu apparently was banned from some heyas because he went hard in training and you don't want your wrestlers being destroyed in training.

A lot of heyas are fairly small or only have one high ranked wrestler who needs to get decent practice. Before Izutsu-oyakata died, his heya was Kakuryu and 2 nobodies, so Kakuryu had to visit as necessity.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

What a fascinating idea.

You might be surprised to learn that there are grumpy old men who think that this was a good quality - can't remember which oyakata praised his "spirit".

More PYF Hakuho:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPYuc2EDtTQ&t=707s

Even unbalanced and being pushed backwards, Hakuho can find someway to ruin your day.

The kimarite there (yaguranage) is pretty rare - only 6 pulled off in the past 25 odd years. Looking at the history of it though, it got a good outing during the 50's and 60's. Probably because everyone was a bit smaller back then.

Historic shout out to Arashiyama who pulled off two in the same tournament (May 1970) on consecutive days, one on an opponent 40kg heavier.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

yooooo i'm betting every active rikishi saw that and just started wondering how the gently caress you beat this guy. that looks to be in just about the worst possible position in sumo except possibly having your back taken, grips and everything, and hakuho was just like 'nah' and wins.

His ring sense is amazing; he always seems to know exactly where the tawara (the raised rope circle thing) is. I recall a similar win where he was pushed across the ring and danced out of the way at the very last second along the tawara. He must have velcro toes.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

From memory, the koenkai are more than just fans - they can have a big say in a rikishi's life. I recall that part the reason Akebono ended up leaving the NSK was that he alienated his koenkai by marrying someone without their approval and without their financial support, he couldn't keep his heya going.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Let me tell you about Gagamaru, the man 40 kilograms heavier than Hakuho.

....That's it. There's a man named Gagamaru. He is 40 kilograms heavier than Hakuho.

Also shorter.

Actually just watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFuHycJCviU

Man, I miss Gagamaru in makuuchi. Not for his fighting, but for his inability to hide his feelings about stuff. There was a close call that went against him (should've been a do over) and dude was nearly in tears over the injustice.

To be clear, I'm not hahaha dude crying here, but genuinely liked that he had deep feelings about stuff. Maybe its a Georgian thing.

Brut posted:

...because they want to leave the big matches to the end of the tournament (Ozeki vs Ozeki, Yokozuna vs Yokozuna, Yokozuna vs Ozeki), that means for the first week or so the Ozeki/Yokozuna are fighting the Komubusbi/M1/M2/M3 guys.

And this is why those ranks are known as the meatgrinder (M3 through K) - you get smashed by the big guys in the first week, then try to rebuild any morale you have left to eke out a kachikoshi in the second week.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

lol what the gently caress? this is insane and amazing. also, what is 'daskoi' (???)pronounced like dus-coy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e77XvAGOFOE&t=11s

I haven't seen Demon Kakka on for a while, but apparently he's a huge sumo nerd. Like sumodb but flashier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSoCNZPjNLo

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

well that certainly cleared things up!

As far as I can tell, its a sumo exclamation that doesn't mean anything. Like grunting while lifting weights, but sports specific. Its also used as a refrain in sumo songs (jinku).

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

i'm sort of disappointed. everything in sumo seems to have a meaning! is there a particular time (outside of sumo songs, something i have to hear) when rikishi say this or is it used casually and often?

I've never heard it. Even when a yokozuna stamps his foot, the crowd says "Yosh" or "Yoshha" and the word "dosucoi" totally doesn't drop from the sky.

drat you, Psycho Fox, why did you lie to me?!

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

it cannot be good for your brain to accelerate into a 160kg brick wall 20 times every day. why would you not just start from like a neutral position to minimise brain damage and train your tachi-ai with a little bit more regard for your brain.

They put some sensors on Kotoshogiku a couple years ago to figure out the forces involved in a tachiai. I can't remember the exact number, but it was like being hit with a small car. I'll see if I can find it.

ChrisBTY posted:

Quick tangent: does anybody here actually like watching the ceremonial stuff?

I do, I like the rhythm of the build up. I find it somewhat relaxing to watch.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

against my initial perception it seems a good balance of weight and muscle seems to be optimal. the huge guys in the lower division don't seem to have the muscle that the huge guys in the top division do and as such lack the balance and stamina necessary to win

Weighing 150kg is great (and you do need some weight, generally), but you need to be strong enough to shift around other people who weigh 150kg. Height is good too, because you can be heavier without being quite so fat.

I do like watching the small dudes, but I think the way they have to fight increases the chance of injuring themselves. Mainoumi, one of the regular presenters, used to be a popular wrestler nicknamed the Department Store of Techniques. His career slumped after Konishiki (who weighed 275kg) fell on and broke his leg:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainoumi_Sh%C5%ABhei

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Oh my god, you guys are watching the whole day?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

coconono posted:

I'm probably gonna switch over to some NJPW but yeah I've been locked in for like the last 3 hours. Great poo poo.

Spokes posted:

i'm ostensibly working while i have it on a second monitor, but no work is actually getting done. this rules

Presume you're in the US? Frigging maniacs.

Mekchu posted:

I'm in the same timezone as Japan so it's not as much of an issue as it is for the US/EU folks.

Yeah, I'm in Australia, so we'll get going with Makuunuchi at about 6pm.

Also:

https://twitter.com/sumokyokai/status/1216154179523223556?s=20

Kakuryu looks so happy in his little bird suit.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

according to the chat he lost 30 kegs and still weighs 200kg. lol. unit.

Yeah, he's now equal heaviest with Kaisei and probably Gagamaru, who usually avoids the official annual weigh-ins but is probably over 200. I think I read somewhere he's a bit embarrassed about his diabetes.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

he looks like the marshmellow man and the green mawashi owns

His nickname is Nikudango-san or Mr Meatball. A search on twitter will probably get you a bunch of photos of his squishy, sleeping face.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Ooh, YDC in the house. The one with the goatee looks like he'd be the biggest kill joy.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

loving righteous chops

lol. doing that.

The official kyokai twitter account is a good follow.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

https://twitter.com/JapanAddict_INA/status/504149270623035392?s=19

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Juryo and makuuchi get actual salaries, guys below get a small stipend.

There's a bunch of bonuses relating to performance for the sekitori (juryo and makuuchi guys) which ultimately I believe is a multiplier. That persists regardless of which division they are in, but the base varies between juryo and makuuchi and isn't paid at all outside that.

Someone yoyoing between juryo and makushita would alternate periods of salary and associated basho bonuses and the stipend, depending where they were for that basho period.

Efb!

Here's a bit about the pay calculations:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mochiky%C5%ABkin

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Yeah, its a 10 yen boost to the multiplier, so each kinboshi is worth about $2000 USD per year as long as he's in makuuchi.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Terunofuji's run began with 8-7 at M2, but he then got jun-yusho and yusho in the next two basho, so it's possible, but there'd need to be something special happening there.

^^^That run seems more impressive than Teru's. It's not like he had to face any more ozeki or yoks. Kakuryu was out and he couldn't face Ham-fu.

Elissimpark fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 13, 2020

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

fisting by many posted:

The difference is that there were already 3 Ozeki at that time. After this tournament there very well might be 1.

That shouldn't matter. It's a matter of quality, not balancing the banzuke.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

Also; the lengths Sumo goes to not protect anybody is astonishing.
Does the circle need to be elevated? Yes
Can the elevated platform extend to maybe more than 3 feet from the circle so falling Rikishi don't splat on the goddamn ground? Nope
How about a barricade: Nope (Not that that would help much)
Pad the Floor: Nope (or do they)
Maybe don't put fans so close to the ring they're in constant danger of being pancaked by falling meteorites of flesh?: You do not have a front row seat unless you ready to die.

Seriously, fans MUST get messed up by flying Rikishi right?

Swear to God. Do something wrong once it's a mistake, do it 100 times and its a tradition.

The fans are actually further from the dohyo than the used to be - you used to sit right against the dohyo.

And the dohyo used to be wider, apparently. I think they actually mentioned this on today's broadcast.

Also, the little roof dangling over the dohyo used to be supported by columns on the dohyo, so that would have been very OHS.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Nah, it's just a money thing. Pretty sure all the good seats come through the various koenkai.

The former Osunaarashi's heya's website had a price list for supporting donations and (from memory) a basic donation of about $2000 AUD would guarantee a fancy seat for one day at one basho each year.

Of course, there's some faces you'll see in the front rows for most days in a basho and you wonder how much money they're pissing into sumo each year.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Mekchu posted:

Right but my friend said that didnt work out well for him when he went so I was just curious how martytoof did it.

Edit - i should add I am not aware of what broker he used to buy tickets on his own.

There's a link for official ticket sales on the NSK website:

http://www.sumo.or.jp/En/

Its over on the right side, but the one in the middle works when tix are up for sale. I used this when I went back in 2015.

The only caveat is that you need to be online and buying as soon as they are available. They sell out quickly.

Plan want you want to buy before hand so you don't miss out while fiddling around. I watched seat numbers slowly getting worse in the short time I was online in 2015 and that was before the surge in popularity in the past few years.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

ilmucche posted:

So he pays to train, right? And has to live at the heya? And has to do all the chores and gets basically abused because he's not juryo?

No, yes and yes. Traditionally sumo was a place to dump failsons who probably wouldn't amount to much more. I mean, you'd obviously want people with actual talent too, but realistically, someone needs to scrub toilets.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

literally just me

(a bit slow, but I was on my phone when thinking about it)

Marching Powder posted:

.... oh man.

i don't know where i got this thought from, but i thought yokozuna were 'taken care of' post retirement. he doesn't need to be living like a loving king if he's squandered all his cash from his fighting days, but he needs to be able to turn down a full contact fight with loving remy bojanski or the human petting zoo bob sapp. loving hell.

I can't find the source, but I believe there were issues between his koenkai and himself regards his marriage - without koenkai money, it can be hard to do anything as an oyakata. If you're not in the NSK, then you're looking for a new paycheck. A few former rikishi have stepped into MMA - Baruto, Osunaarashi, for example.

Konoshiki went into television. If you happen to watch the NHK broadcast, they have children's shows right after. Specifically, there is a show called Nihongo de Asobo (fun with Japanese) which is an kid's intro to Japanese cultural stuff like kabuki, bunraku, etc. If you're lucky, you might catch Kono-chan singing about sumo:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it.

Marching Powder posted:

i am 100% due a new avatar and this is a prime candidate.

If you want a spiky Konoshiki, I can post a few different pics - he doesn't come up with English searches. Actually, most the Nihongo de Asobo characters would be prime avatar material.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bentai posted:

I’ve been tempted to pay way too much for an authentic Hakuho handprint. And a Tochinoshin. And an Enho.

How much were they asking? You might be better asking John Gunning (yes, the English announcer) to source one for you. I got a Harumafuji for my wife a couple years back.

Marching Powder posted:

if you get a spare moment or two man i'd appreciate it but no pressure or anything

I'll have a look see tonight (Oz time) and post some for you.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bentai posted:

bigsumofan.com has them at $250 USD for each rikishi. It’s juuust a little steep. Reprints are only $14.

I paid $185 for an ozeki Harumafuji 4 years ago. John quoted me about $100-120 for a Shodai about the same time.

Sign on to sumo forum and dm John. He also posts sumo calenders towards the end of the year as well.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

I am still so hyped from yesterday's big result. This basho has been great even without the yoko's.

Big thanks to Elissimpark for the avatar inspiration and Mekchu those gang tags are literal art and I want to be yokogoona so bad one day

Gah, I was going to dig up some more options for you! Sorry, life got in the way.

Still, that text is fantastic!

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

I'd love to know how much weight he dropped. When he was ozeki, he was strong, but a bit slow, I felt. A lighter, quicker Teru would be awesome.

Assuming his body is back to something resembling healthy.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

fisting by many posted:

Terunofuji clinches the Juryo Yusho, and puts up another fairly dominant win for good measure.

A mighty kimidashi! I thought I'd never see that again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Is there a :stare: that is just growing and possibly explodes into more :stare:s?

Yeah, but that :stare: is then leg picked by Enho and launched into orbit.