Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Finally caught up on the thread :comfyoot:

My partners and I just finished watching Yuri on Ice and it was really fun and also super, super gay. Like, I remember hearing that the writers wanted to make it even more gay than they did, but it honestly seems like there isn't a lot of room for more. (Also, going into it completely blind, I thought it was about ice-skating lesbians.)

I've also picked up some nice recommendations from this thread.

That said, it seems like in a lot of these recs the queerness is the entire point -- like, they are manga about being trans or gay or whatever. Does anyone have recs for stuff that is...pervasively, but incidentally, queer?

Like, as an example -- and I haven't read any manga like this so I'm going to go all TBB for a minute -- the Dragonoak trilogy I just finished is extremely queer. The protagonist is a big ol' lesbian, and so are both of her girlfriends. Her dad is bi, and in fact a majority of the supporting cast are queer in some manner, including at least three nonbinary characters and two trans characters -- probably more, honestly, but being trans (or gay, or bi, or ace, or nb...) is so completely unremarkable in this setting that it isn't even worth commenting on. But the thing is, absolutely none of that is the point; they're constantly, omnipresently queer books but the queerness is never central to the plot (or, honestly, even relevant to it at all 99% of the time) -- it's a high fantasy story about politics, war, the destiny of nations hanging by a thread, etc where most of the characters just happen to be queer.

So...anyone got good manga recommendations in that vein?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I look forward to reading it sometime in the distant future when it's finished :negative:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

DisDisDis posted:

Jealousy by Scarlet Beriko for gay guys

Yokohama Shopping Trip and Hakumei & Mikochi for lesbians

Kara no Kyoukai for nbs

speaking of nbs you've read/watched Houseki no Kuni right?

Thanks! I've heard of Houseki no Kuni/Land of the Lustrous but since (all together now) it's not finished yet, I haven't started reading it.

It looks like Yokohama Shopping Trip is finished though so that's probably my next stop.

quote:

ee; also probably worth jotting down some of the official Touhou manga though I've only read Forbidden Scrollery, which was fantastic but not very shippy (snooze iwll probably yel at me for this one) good niht everyone

My only Touhou experience is playing Luna Nights (it's good) and having Embodiment of Scarlet Devil completely kick my rear end in high school, I keep forgetting that there's more of it. Any in particular you'd recommend?

UnCO3 posted:

Hi! I make analog rpgs and read manga, and I just published a game that's directly relevant to this thread, called Twilight Song. Also the current discussion, since it's got queer themes but they're not necessarily core to the story.

It starts a generation or two in the future, in the twilight of humanity's era, and all the players collectively play a single immortal, non-human narrator who lives among humans, learns from them, and learns about their world and themselves as the years and generations pass. The world gets stranger, lives intertwine, and things and people alike slip out of reach as time goes on.

Any sort of tabletop is completely out of reach for me these days, but that sounds extremely cool.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

ahh i am yelling at you ahh

forbidden scrollery is the best tho and kosuzu is great and everyone should read it

muhahaha read forbidden scrollery

also read this https://mangadex.org/title/42565/touhou-chireikiden-hansoku-tantei-satori its literally just nero wolfe with touhou characters its funny and great

This sounds great, I'll check out both

Also this conversation is getting me to reinstall Scarlet Devil, you monsters.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

It's not really manga but I just finally finished reading Always Human and it so impossibly cute and gay and comfy, I ended up crying into my keyboard like six times but in a good way.

Next is probably Aerial Magic by the same author, but after that I'm thinking maybe Girl Friends or Bloom Into You, both recs which I think I got from this thread?

Run Away With Me, Girl looks good but it's also not finished yet and I can't bring myself to start another unfinished series :negative:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Endorph posted:

run away with me girl is finished in japan and we're making good progress on it at least, and its not 70 chapters or anything, so you shouldn't have to wait too long

Oh that's excellent news!

Thank you for all your translation work :)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

lih posted:

Aerial Magic is only half complete and will never be finished due to writer's block and didn't really go anywhere, it's hard to recommend.

Bloom Into You is absolutely a classic though

Yeah, I know it's on "indefinite hiatus" (which we all know is webcomic for "is not finished and never will be"). But at least it ended at a chapter break rather than halfway through a conversation or something; I figure I'll read and enjoy what's there, even if it's not a finished story.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Aurora posted:

why aren't vampires my girlfriend

:same:

idk maybe I can be someone else's vampire girlfriend someday

except I love garlic?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I was not expecting that punchline, but I definitely should have been.

If I were a vampire, it seems like spreading stories about garlic being repulsive or toxic to vampires would be a good idea, because then when people get suspicious about my aversion to sunlight or compulsive counting of rice grains or whatever, I could avert suspicion by eating an entire bulb of roasted garlic.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Finished Aerial Magic (which was fantastic even in its unfinished state) and now about ten chapters into Bloom Into You and really enjoying it.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into it due to my own experiences, but It looks like Yuu is actually completely smitten with Touko and just doesn't realize it, because her feelings don't match the "bright and sparkly" way that love is described by her friends or by the books she reads.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Just finished volume 4 (ends with "Suddenly Suffocating") and I'm freaking out holy poo poo

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Just finished Bloom Into You. Holy poo poo, that was really, really good. It was exactly the kind of cozy, heartwarming story I need right now, and I loved every page of it. Not sure what to read next -- Yokohama Shopping Log?

Mikl posted:

All the characters in Bloom Into You are dumb idiot babies (i.e. teens), especially Yuu and Touko. But I love them anyway.

I mean, you say that, but throughout this entire series, Yuu, Touko, and Sayaka have all acted with dramatically more emotional maturity that I see in a lot of fictional adults

Or a lot of real-world adults, for that matter

Or basically anyone I knew in university, including myself

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mikl posted:

You're right, it's just that I tend to see characters I like as my precious children who must be protected, so being proud of them comes with the territory.

Read Girl Friends next. Or Kase-san.

I actually read the first two chapters of Girl Friends after finishing BIY and bounced off it; it seems much more loud and hectic and kind of alarming. After this recommendation I went back and read a few more and now I'm getting more into it, so thanks!

Kase-san also looks like something I might enjoy. E: but it looks like it has an official english release that I'd need to figure out how to de-DRM in order to get onto my tablet and I don't think I have the energy for that right now, oh well

Any recommendations for soft cosy lesbian slice of life stuff that isn't set in a high school?

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 6, 2020

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ok I think that's my favourite of all the recommendations so far. 🐍

There's not enough of it though! It's all gone already.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Aah gently caress it's so close to being finished

And then I can finally read it

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Girl Friends update: reading chapter 22, outwardly calm, inwardly screaming AUGH JUST loving TALK TO EACH OTHER YOU CATASTROPHICALLY USELESS LESBIANS

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

(I'm not ignoring the recs for Tsuki to Suppin, Cheerful Amnesia, or The Two Of Them Are Pretty Much Like This, btw, but since they're still ongoing I don't want to start reading them.)

Snooze Cruise posted:

Im not a girlfriends fan, the only series of her's that ever really click for me was after school

I didn't like it as much as Bloom Into You and I almost put it down after the first two chapters, but I kept reading and I'm glad I did; overall, I enjoyed it a lot. BIY was better, but it's a hard act to follow.

Now I just need to figure out what to read next. Don't have Kase-san, yet, so maybe I'll check out Poor Poor Lips like you suggested. :v:

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 8, 2020

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

LibrarianCroaker posted:

re: comfy slice of life not in high school, Collectors is complete, but idk if it's fully translated.

Doesn't look like it.

While I'm asking for recommendations: anyone got good ones for at least somewhat queer SF/F manga? I've been doing alright for novels lately but don't really know where to start looking when it comes to manga.

DisDisDis posted:

Girlfriends is better than Bloom Into You :evilbuddy:

You're wrong, but in a way that I can respect.

Thinking about it more, Girl Friends was kind of bittersweet for me in a way that Bloom Into You wasn't; in school, I was a lot like Mari, but never really had that experience of one of the more social girls taking an interest in me and getting me to develop a circle of friends. There's a lot of socialization and inculturation I missed out on as a result of spending most of my childhood inside books, and while I don't regret what I've grown into as a result, I do wonder if past me would have been happier if she'd had that opportunity -- especially in high school, which was pretty loving miserable.

So, GF has more emotional resonance for me, but I like BIY more as a story, and I like its less compressed and frenetic style more, too.

Snooze Cruise posted:

glomp onto you, the hit uwuqel

That's what I do every time I see one of my girlfriends

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

DisDisDis posted:

Bloom Into You is a nice story that does absolutely nothing for me on a personal level, Girlfriends I relate to a lot, hence I'm 100% correct when I post "Girlfriends is better than BIY" on the internet

Girl Friends is, in some ways, more personally relatable than anything or anyone in BIY was, but for whatever reason BIY had much more emotional impact for me.

I also just liked it more as a story; the characters were less childish, and I appreciated it setting up obvious bullshit like the Yuu<->Touko<-Sayaka love triangle and then resolving it in a friendly and emotionally mature manner, which is practically unprecedented not just in manga but in fiction in general.

And on a technical level, I liked BIY's more expansive and relaxed art more than GF's frenetically packed pages.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

everythingWasBees posted:

you know what also has a love triangle and deals with a ramifications thereof?

kakeochi girl

I mean, one of the things I appreciated about BIY is that it's an amicable love triangle among people who I all like that gets resolved happily, and based on reading the first chapter of kakeochi girl it's...really not that, even if the relationship graph is initially equivalent.

skaianDestiny posted:

Where's the love triangle that explicitly turns into a polycule.

Also on board for this

ZiegeDame posted:

Does Bakarina count? Though I suppose any harem-type situation isn't necessarily complex.

Now that I think of Jitsu Wa had a decently intricate web of affections

I'm assuming a harem is usually like...one central character who has a bunch of paramours, but with no other real relationships going on, which might have a lot of people but isn't really complicated, yeah. There aren't even any cycles in the graph! It needs at least three or four cycles.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Finished After Hours. Overall, I liked it, but the ending seemed a bit...incongruous? Like, everything up to the end of the After Hours rave was great, but then Kei vanishing to wind down the family business doesn't seem in keeping with what we've seen of her character so far, nor does it seem like a good excuse for keeping them apart when they're just an overnight train ride away from each other.

It felt kind of like the story had a natural conclusion at the end of the rave, but the author had a coda they wanted to add on -- Kei has to step back from both the music scene and her relationship with Emi for a while, Emi has to step up and take over Kei's duties while figuring out how to be a functional adult without leaning on Kei -- but didn't really have a good way of making that happen. And we didn't even get a cute epilogue where they reunite or anything!

In conclusion, great 2.5 volumes with a kind of baffling 0.5 volume at the end? Still liked it overall and would definitely recommend it, though.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

DisDisDis posted:

have you read Octave?

This is the first I've heard of it, so no! This?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

my go to is always double house but does not meet all the preqs established

The cafe one works too tho that is non-binary instead of transgirl... It does have two trans ladies tho

You can't just say that in passing and not give a title!

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

SunAndSpring posted:

I am in a media hell where every media (not just anime/manga) dealing with trans women is either:
1. Something made in the 70s-90s that has straight trans women but is dated at best and actively transphobic at worst
2. Something made in the 21st century that is not transphobic, but is about wlw and therefore I don't relate to it a bit.

This genuinely upsets me, I got absolutely nothing I can relate to in broader media. I can read straight romance stuff with cis people I guess but there's always that nagging feeling at the back of my head that this doesn't line up well with my own experiences.

I've heard (I don't read it) that the webcomic Questionable Content has a trans woman in a relationship with the (cishet male) MC and that it's handled pretty well.

Nothing else comes immediately to mind -- I tend to look for transbian stuff, because, well, I relate to it more -- but I'm sure I've seen at least one or two other things that fit the bill, I'll post them here if I remember them.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Rody One Half posted:

Ranma is good.

Ranma is a lot longer than it needed to be, and I never finished it as a result (same problem with Inuyasha). I do give it credit for having a trans protagonist in the 80s, though. (Yes, I know that may not have been what the author was deliberately aiming for, but there is quite a lot of textual support for it to the point where you have to go out of your way to find a reading where Ranma isn't trans.)

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I think I shall read Vampiress Lord once its finished scanning.

Yeah, that's on my list too.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I read the first two volumes of A Kiss and a White Lily and thought it was ok but not great and then got sidetracked by programming projects, not sure if I'll go back and finish it or switch to something else.

Arianya posted:

I've just finished re-reading Bakarina (which is still v. good and very one sidedly gay since Bakarina is made of depleted uranium).

Is Bakarina this? Because that's what always seems to come up in searches for it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I started watching Flip Flappers and got I think four or five episodes in -- the one with the clock tower -- and then just kind of...lost interest?

The opening absolutely slaps, though.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

gnome7 posted:

I recently found this manga, Teiji ni Agaretara, about two office ladies falling in love for the first time. It is very gay and I am very into it, the latest chapter was super super cute.

That looks very cute and gay and exactly the kind of thing I was looking for when I asked for recommendations for cute gay things that aren't set in a high school

People need to stop linking cute gay things that I want to read that aren't finished yet :negative:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

CYBEReris posted:

wholesome lesbians

gay yearning but it's for manga updates

Basically yes

I mean, I'm still reading A Kiss and a White Lily for Her and after that I've got Kase-San and Morning Glories and Luminous=Blue in the queue but once those run out...

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Gonna need to read this.

It's really good

But it's not finished and I have no idea when, or if, it will end

:negative:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I don't think it got mentioned here: the complete run of Vampiress Lord has now been scanlated.

It looks like it got cut short (3 volumes compared to an originally planned 10) but it sounds like the author had enough warning to wrap things up in a satisfying manner.

I'm still reading A Kiss and a White Lily for Her (I'm on the second last volume) and have a bunch of other stuff in the queue after that, so it might be a while before I get around to it...

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

snooze talk about it a lot, what you have me on block? Am i going have to fight you, whats you beef >:'(

I'm pretty sure you're the reason I was keeping an eye on it but I don't think you posted that it was finished, is my point

DisDisDis posted:

i don't have plat anymore to check my post history but there was one i forget the name of where a girl came back from college to her family post transition out of the blue. the family is her three sisters (parents were dead or absent since childhood i think) n it goes through a bunch of good drama with all the diff family members (eldest sister's arc was my favorite i think)

Did you post about it ITT or in some other thread

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Wark Say posted:

Using the word 'gimmick' may not have been the best idea. Also, the follow-up of "Sheesh, you goons are being overly sensitive" is kind of less-than-stellar?

Like yeah, there's a dedicated BL Thread (which you should check out, because Everything Burrito is like an artisan of rad recommendations), but that doesn't mean that stuff posted here won't show up there and vice versa. Also this and the Shoujo, Josei and Romance thread also tend to have a lot of the same regulars.

They were asking for manga with straight or bi trans women so I don't think the BL thread is going to be at all helpful here, unless "trans woman/cis man" pairings get filed as BL in which case what the gently caress

I don't have any recs off the top of my head, sadly.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

everythingWasBees posted:

also wrt het trans stuff (hi im a trans girl engaged to a het dude) there's a lot of otokonoko stuff that's pretty close, yuureitou ends up fitting the bill, and Mikiyo Tsuda has a manga with a intersex individual who transitions to a lady and ends up dating a guy, the name of which I can't remember and Wikipedia isn't helping. It's followed up with both the characters appearing in Princess Princess which I highly recommend for anybody wanting cross-dressing gay dudes.

This? https://mangadex.org/title/2270/kakumei-no-hi

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Started reading Luminous=Blue and oh my god Hayama is such a tremendous rear end in a top hat

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Finished Luminous=Blue (short and really good) and Four Sisters, Starting Today (liked that it was kind of complicated and messy and full of complicated, self-contradictory, and sometimes realistically lovely characters, and that it ended on a hopeful but not fully resolved note, but thought it was kind of odd that you see lots of the internal state of the cis people around Kashiwa, but very little of her thoughts and feelings) and now I'm kind of flopping around wondering what to read next. Kase-san, perhaps? Poor Poor Lips?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Jagged Jim posted:

Well I know what I'm reading next.

I just read it earlier this week, it's short and really good and I'm pretty sure I got the recommendation for it from this thread earlier this year

Thank you whoever recommended it

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The Colonel posted:

another thing is that description is obviously just someone getting mad at the author's other manga up on dynasty about a love triangle that ends with the two lesbians getting together and the guy just being like "well. i guess being gay won and i'll accept this and live peacefully."

Toumei na Usui Mizuiro ni?

Aurora posted:

luminous blue is very good and now i'll cry

:same:

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Thuryl posted:

Yep. It's also officially licensed in English as Transparent Light Blue, by the way, if you're looking for a way to throw some money at the author. There are also some bonus one-shots included, since the story would be a bit short to fill a volume by itself.

Aah, I'll check that out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I really love witch's servant...But it's been getting hard to read with mangadex making GBS threads the bed so badly.

I've been using Hakuneko to pre-download chapters and then read them offline; it can be a bit flaky (and if flakes out you have to manually tell it to retry the download) but at least once it's done, you have an entire intact chapter guaranteed, and don't need to deal with "whoops! halfway through the chapter I'm just going to stop displaying pages!"