Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

And on news threads- yes, GBS is not an RSS, but a lot of the GBS current events threads were crazy informative. The Boston Bombing one comes to mind for me- I was living in mass at the time, my brother lived on the block where the carjacking guy escaped at a gas station, and one of my oldest friends lost a foot in the bombing, but somehow the GBS thread got me the best and most accurate news.

Back then, GBS was popular enough you had goons with scanners, connections, actively involved, the whole nine, GBS news threads were way better than they got credit for.

That thread was a much better source of information than anything else. I do miss those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

Related, the "small pastry" saga was one of my favorites, but I don't have a link handy.

On this page
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3770505&pagenumber=29&perpage=40#post459947447

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

oldpainless posted:

Why isn’t Sid vicious listed as a mod?

He resigned as IK after posting an apology post. :shrug:

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

purple death ray posted:

This is common when you're full of radium.

:classiclol:
:golfclap:

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

gamingCaffeinator posted:

More like oldfriendless?

GODDAMMIT

Does anyone have a link to the SuperNintendoChalmers saga? I know it's a thread by criscodisco but I haven't been able to find it

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3284277&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Heath posted:

Free BotL

Sure as gently caress wouldn't pay for him.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Scarodactyl posted:

When I had not yet paid my 10bux I had gotten the impression it was really easy to eat a ban on SA, it was a sort of legendary thing. And yet somehow some really terrible posters take years and years to be removed. How is just consistently being a really bad poster not enough for a perma?

You must have missed Dickeye's perma and all her idiot followers whining that a history of toxic posting was no reason to ban her.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Pastry of the Year posted:

Not in this thread, not now. Too soon and way too much of a lightning rod.

That's not directed at you specifically, but I'm just 86ing any further discussion of that issue here.

Sorry!

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

"Hobbyist Maniac" would be a good username and maybe also a good BYOB thread.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Stay safe Sweet As Sin. :smith:

Seriously.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Adeline Weishaupt posted:

This is somebody fleecing Lowtax by using big marketing buzzwords, and she's also the woman Lowtax cheated on his wife with when she fled to a shelter.

So yeah, if the forums spontaneously shuts down without warning; it's because she stole all of SA's money.

What evidence do you have of adultery?

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Hemingway To Go! posted:

"He's a cop AND a tv tropes mod" sounds like the worst cop show ever.

Together, they commit crime!

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Heath posted:

If you see the Buddha in the thread, mock him until he stops posting :hai:

We're on the road and we're gunning for the Buddha
We know his name and he mustn't get away

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

pentyne posted:

My favorite waa defending a guy who broke all his vows with saying "well he came from a sheltered conservative country you cant blame him for succumbing to doing coke and having sex with white women" as a reason why breaking Buddhist vows is not a big deal.

Taking a religious vow not to have sex with white women is a bit odd.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

yeah but who else are straight white men going to marry?

:ughh:

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Hi xcheopis, I wanted you to know that at least one other goon has heard shriekback songs and appreciates being reminded of one.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Make that two :hfive:. Time to go see if I can find "Nemesis" on youtube.

fake edit: yep, absolutely

Yay!

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

cda posted:

Sorry if there's a better thread for this...is there a "request SA stuff from the past that you're looking for" thread? Should there be? I don't want to make one just for my own purposes but if it happens a lot and there isn't one maybe there should be. Anyway,

Probably about ten years ago there was a CYOA in GBS. I remember not all that much about it except that it was really good and it took place in the 80s and the images were of a CRT monitor kinda like the YOSPOS stylesheet....

does anyone know what I mean? I imagine it might be in the goldmine but I have no idea where to start looking.

Thank you! :tipshat:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2701257

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

lol even when it's not an image it's always loss.jpg, isn't it?

Nothing to lol about, rear end in a top hat.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Len posted:

Something awful was where I first heard the phrase "your toxic womb is crowding heaven" so don't act like this place hasn't been mocking miscarriages since before loss

Oh, well, since a group of people thought mocking a woman over her miscarriages was funny a decade or more ago, then obviously nothing should change.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Len posted:

Not where I was going with that but okay

Maybe bring it up to lowtax and see if he wants to pull down that article like they did the ones with slurs?

Then where were you going with it?

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Does that extremely rich not mad gamer have a history?

I so want him to be real but it is so on the nose that it seems like it has to be someone doing an act.

These situations still squick me out like they did back in the day but instead of finding it funny it's just sad. I can't really imagine what the pain these people feel is.

Another thing I remember goons mocking that I feel really bad about in hindsight was that girl who became brain dead after a tonsilectomy and her family held onto her for a long time afterwards. It's horrible but I can't mock the family for clinging onto threads past rationality. Also that one was super bad because the family had some decent points to make about racism in hospitals.

The family was being fed a lot of lies by some right-wing religious group.
Didn't it turn out they had given the girl some food she wasn't supposed to have, which may have precipitated her crisis? If so, there may be a hefty dose of guilt and regret feeding that denial.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Len posted:

That to act shocked that goons make fun of miscarriages is a bit silly since that's been a thing the sites been doing for what 20 years?

Because nothing ever changes and the people here, in this thread, are all the same people who laughed it up back then.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Okay, okay, I'll accept this burden. I will be the one who is Truly Mad Online.

:patriot:

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Xarbala posted:

Always be suspicious of goons imo

Freudian posted:

That's what you'd like, isn't it?

What makes you say that?

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

oldpainless posted:

I like lots of things and am not cool, can confirm.

oldhipless

again, thank you for being such a good sport about this

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Solice Kirsk posted:

TGRS is always such a poo poo show. Well, the little bits I catch wind of anyways.

No, generally it isn't. It was also not exceptionally active until late last year, since it's a space for minority posters to post in peace about media depictions of minorities, etc.
The posters demanding that it be disappeared because "we're not posting there now" came across as sheer colonialist mind-set.
"I'm not using this resource, so obviously it should be trashed because obviously the people who posted there from its creation just don't matter" is loving bonkers.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Should I even ask what TGRS is?

The Great Race Space.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

SunAndSpring posted:

over the 6 people left,

Please don't do this. "Not always very active" is not the same as "only a few people"; that's the same attitude I just mentioned above.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

SunAndSpring posted:

I was referring to the handful of FYAD regulars who didn't already move on to the offsite.

Ah, my apologies.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

pentyne posted:

I saw a slice of the TGRS drama in that a new mod or whoever who wasn't considered acceptable by the forum stars got poo poo on endlessly for "not understanding the culture"

Maybe that was true, but one of the key points was that mod referred to trans poster as being "extra" and then was dogpiled for trans slurs.

Is saying some is being a little extra a slur?

And one of the popular hearsay things was KM was trying to make a list of who was and wasn't allowed to post in TGRS. Didn't seem like that bad an idea but someone said they were told they had to prove they were a POC to get approved.

Hearsay, yes.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Carthag Tuek posted:

When i think about it, the thing i miss the most about old old GBS isnt the news stuff, its the pants making GBS threads

regular threads about whatever and the op shat themselves & they made me laugh

i would like to be able to return to that innocence

Goon coprophilia still weirds me out.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Pastry of the Year posted:

Anyone who wants Annie to love them on their rap sheet has one hour from now (1602 EST).

I'm in.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3406045

GOD HAS DIED

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Hedrigall posted:

When I was a little goon
I asked the forums “define minors for me”
“Is there a cutoff? How young is fine?”
Here’s what they said to me

Que Seraph, Seraph
That question is too skeezy
A permaban upon thee
Que Seraph, Seraph

Genius.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Gone Fashing posted:

i mean that was just a one time thing as far as I know but it was a pretty good saga until the end

That is definitely a different take on rape.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

I believe they are saying there was only one story along those lines, and until the end when everything went bad

Would it be talked about here otherwise?

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

are you claiming we never talk about bad sagas, because if so, I got some news for you

I'm saying the "helped a homeless guy" is only being discussed because he is a rapist. It wouldn't otherwise have been here as "a good saga".

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

AI is definitely a good place and as far as I know has only had one saga that ended in that way.

We try not to bring it up out of respect for the parties involved.

Certainly shouldn't make jokes about it.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Nuns with Guns posted:

I just realized that the "Ask Me About Being A Birthday Party Princess" thread isn't linked here in the new sagas thread, and this is a shameful absence!

How wonderful! That thread was awesome and the drawings were hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Having the presence of mind to shout a bon mot at the other driver while trying to extricate yourself from your wrecked, smoke-filled vehicle is amazing.

Some of us use humour when dealing with very stressful events. It's not rare or unusual.