Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Hi. My name is Lightning Knight. Most of you probably know me as "a D&D mod." I've been a lot of things on this forum, most of them bad, as it were.

I come to you today because two of the CSPAM mods, Captain_Maclaine and Sheng-Ji Yang, have recently stepped down. The administrators have planned to add more mods from CSPAM, and ideally determine who CSPAM would like who is a good candidate, but that takes time. As such, they decided that since CSPAM seems to inexplicably at least tolerate me, they would ask me to change roles from D&D mod to CSPAM mod.

I am ok with this. I never posted in CSPAM regularly before becoming a mod, because I found it intimidating. But I have come to enjoy it and post in both D&D and CSPAM fairly regularly. CSPAM is a very different space with very different moderation expectations that I hope I could meet, but it would of course be a learning process.

However

One of CSPAM's core complaints has been a lack of feedback or communication from admins and a perception that moderation is "other" to the forum. So I come today to ask you, users of CSPAM, if you are ok with me becoming a mod of your subforum. If you say no, I won't feel bad. I will stay in D&D and things will progress otherwise. If you say yes, I will switch over, pending administrator action.

I leave this issue to you to discuss. I hope you speak charitably of me.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

LK

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I think the fact that you're willing to communicate makes you a pretty good candidate, go for it.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I've really appreciated how you've handled things and generally been up-front/transparent about goings-on in general but especially the past month. I doubt I'm the only one who thinks that, here or in general. I'd be very very happy to see you mod here, especially if you're fine with the transition

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah go ahead

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Lightning Knight posted:

Hi. My name is Lightning Knight. Most of you probably know me as "a D&D mod." I've been a lot of things on this forum, most of them bad, as it were.

I come to you today because two of the CSPAM mods, Captain_Maclaine and Sheng-Ji Yang, have recently stepped down. The administrators have planned to add more mods from CSPAM, and ideally determine who CSPAM would like who is a good candidate, but that takes time. As such, they decided that since CSPAM seems to inexplicably at least tolerate me, they would ask me to change roles from D&D mod to CSPAM mod.

I am ok with this. I never posted in CSPAM regularly before becoming a mod, because I found it intimidating. But I have come to enjoy it and post in both D&D and CSPAM fairly regularly. CSPAM is a very different space with very different moderation expectations that I hope I could meet, but it would of course be a learning process.

However

One of CSPAM's core complaints has been a lack of feedback or communication from admins and a perception that moderation is "other" to the forum. So I come today to ask you, users of CSPAM, if you are ok with me becoming a mod of your subforum. If you say no, I won't feel bad. I will stay in D&D and things will progress otherwise. If you say yes, I will switch over, pending administrator action.

I leave this issue to you to discuss. I hope you speak charitably of me.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

LK

This is not a reflection on you, but why no new moderator?

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
im fer it you seem cool

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Nothing against you Lightning Knight, but I think a major reason why people have been upset is a lack of self-moderation on this community's part. Why not give this to WampaLord?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I would not mind this. I think you’ve been a fairly level-headed voice around all the recent events, you’ve been participating in the community (as in just posting) for a while, and you’ve been willing to admit error and explain what your thoughts are when there have been problems.

Would this be an appropriate place to also weigh in on who else might be good mod candidates?

Bearstrong
Apr 11, 2014

Satan Lives

Seems good, hello!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

mp5 posted:

Second paragraph seems to imply more will come soon, LK transferring would just be the quickest of the choices since LK's already a mod

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

mp5 posted:

Nichael posted:

Nothing against you Lightning Knight, but I think a major reason why people have been upset is a lack of self-moderation on this community's part. Why not give this to WampaLord?

To combine both of these questions, I actually have nominated WampaLord to also become a mod of CSPAM. However, I can't make that decision and generally when adding new mods the admins like to look at who they are and talk to them a bit and such. I'm already a mod and have been for awhile so moving me over to a forum I already participate in is comparatively an easier process. I cannot otherwise speak for the admins in this case.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
lol being intimated from posting in cspam

this is a "yeah" but still lol

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uKIeamPi2Y

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I've been saying for a while now that you should be a cspam mod. So yes definitely!

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

I like the way you've handled the recent drama and would be cool with you hanging out and slinging sixers. Also, agree that Wamaplord would make a good mod.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Lightning Knight posted:

I never posted in CSPAM regularly before becoming a mod, because I found it intimidating.

What makes cspam seem intimidating to you? I stumbled into to this place a couple years ago with my giant goofy anime av and bad posts and found the posters here to be nicer and friendlier than byob has ever been.

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

I don't really care as long as you're not secretly acting "undercover" in any Nazi hangouts.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Koishi Komeiji posted:

What makes cspam seem intimidating to you? I stumbled into to this place a couple years ago with my giant goofy anime av and bad posts and found the posters here to be nicer and friendlier than byob has ever been.

I don't really see it that way anymore. I'm talking a loooong time ago, like before Trump won the election, was the first time I looked into this place.

^ lol gently caress no

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

I’m fine with lk as mod, but I would like more homegrown cspam mods and also for the subforum issue to be resolved

cspam and D&D very clearly don’t have a forum and subforum relationship anymore, and keeping that old layout is causing a lot of rancor between the two

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

To combine both of these questions, I actually have nominated WampaLord to also become a mod of CSPAM. However, I can't make that decision and generally when adding new mods the admins like to look at who they are and talk to them a bit and such. I'm already a mod and have been for awhile so moving me over to a forum I already participate in is comparatively an easier process. I cannot otherwise speak for the admins in this case.

I don't think Wampalord should be a mod when he's barely been IK.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Chris James 2 posted:

I've really appreciated how you've handled things and generally been up-front/transparent about goings-on in general but especially the past month. I doubt I'm the only one who thinks that, here or in general. I'd be very very happy to see you mod here, especially if you're fine with the transition

This

Also WampaLord would be a great addition

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

^ lol gently caress no

Oh well good. You passed my extremely low bar. As far as I'm concerned, welcome aboard!

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Unban lastgirl and make her a mod. For months the call of "make lastgirl and nichael mods" was everywhere, and I guess they've fallen out of favor, but I still think they'd be good.

but I have no issues with you as a mod LK

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I will only accept that one pomeranian I met in New Orleans two summers ago. He was a good boy, the good boy we need.

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
nichael would be a good mod since cspam has already turned on them

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Turdfuzz posted:

He's been doing an excellent job during this situation, and this insane idea that moderator is a role which requires a huge investment to bring on board since it can never easily be taken away is a major factor in why this forum is so hosed in the first place.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

kingcobweb posted:

Unban lastgirl and make her a mod. For months the call of "make lastgirl and nichael mods" was everywhere, and I guess they've fallen out of favor, but I still think they'd be good.

Lastgirl was banned by Lowtax directly for bombmaking posts/jokes. In general, we do not overrule Lowtax moderation decisions without asking him, and making her a mod on top of that seems... unwise. She's not permanently banned and my understanding is that she hasn't re-regged because she didn't want to.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Turdfuzz posted:

Turdfuzz posted:

Oh well good. You passed my extremely low bar. As far as I'm concerned, welcome aboard!

:thunk:

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Bonjour, Marshal Petain! Hon hon hon!

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

Thanks for quoting my very good joke.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

If we're also mentioning recommendations, I'd be fine with more posters getting power here including (but certainly not limited to) WampaLord and Nichael

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

Lastgirl was banned by Lowtax directly for bombmaking posts/jokes. In general, we do not overrule Lowtax moderation decisions without asking him, and making her a mod on top of that seems... unwise. She's not permanently banned and my understanding is that she hasn't re-regged because she didn't want to.

Sure, but he banned her on the advice of a Nazi. Who I later 6ered, which is something I got de-IKed for. I understand why she doesn't want to give him $10.

Lastgirl is C-SPAM incarnate, and I mean that in the best way possible. She's funny, smart, and understands this community better than anyone.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Nichael posted:

Sure, but he banned her on the advice of a Nazi. Who I later 6ered, which is something I got de-IKed for. I understand why she doesn't want to give him $10.

Lastgirl is C-SPAM incarnate, and I mean that in the best way possible. She's funny, smart, and understands this community better than anyone.

I sympathize. However, I think realistically you want to petition Lowtax for this one. He has reversed bans before, and is generally open to feedback. We generally cannot overrule the guy who owns the site on stuff like this.

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

Nichael posted:

I got the impression she was unrelated to the live bans, though maybe a Nazi directed him to her post? She wasn't banned for "Mod Sass" like the others. She's lucky she didn't get permabanned.

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

Is logic remaining a mod?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

*a month passes in which CSPAM was right about everything and the mods/admins were wrong/lying about everything including one of their own being a Discord nazi with access to vulnerable posters' PII in the mod forum*

well you can't have the mods you wanted because your community just can't be trusted with that sort of responsibility, but we're sending in a good cop for reals this time

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
lmao @ the thread title

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

Wheeee posted:

*a month passes in which CSPAM was right about everything and the mods/admins were wrong/lying about everything including one of their own being a Discord nazi with access to vulnerable posters' PII in the mod forum*

well you can't have the mods you wanted because your community just can't be trusted with that sort of responsibility, but we're sending in a good cop for reals this time

So that's a no, then?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

LK isn't bad, in conjunction with other mods and IKs selected from this community he'd be fine, but this is hilariously insufficient given the tremendous breach of trust recently on the part of this site's volunteer staff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

LK's cool but seconding that there should also be a mod """from""" cspam. nichael, wampalord, along those lines.