Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

What are Canada's growing NSS cost overruns even attributed to? Labor? Materials? Engineering? I thought these things had already been designed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

MrYenko posted:

So, if I did my math right, Canada could buy FORTY brand new Arleigh Burkes for what they’re planning on spending for fifteen ships-on-paper-only.

I mean, I understand that requirements are different, and the Burkes probably cost more to run than they want, but holy gently caress how do you gently caress up a program that bad? Are the contractors just opening a bank account and pouring cement trucks full of CAD$ into it?

Buying 40 Burkes introduces a whole other problem of recruiting that many sailors! (I know, just don't buy as many and save $$ )

I was annoyed that Canada didn't get in on the Mistrals that were built for Russia, I thought they'd be good flagships for various humanitarian/disaster relief support as well as being capable air platforms to fly helicop-oh, poo poo yeah lol nevermind. (The Cyclones seem to not be a complete disaster now that they are being delivered, at least).

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

No way...

College Slice

For my entire adult life I don't think I've heard of a single good ending to Canada's procurement.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

I still feel like Canada turning over their procurement dollars over to the DoD along with a list of their requirements would result in a lot of positives for Canada. There would be a massive cost savings for Canada, it would eliminate a political football, result in stuff being delivered in a reasonable period, and probably not catch fire on their way to Canada. I mean even with extremely healthy profit margins, Canada would still come out ahead.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Raenir Salazar posted:

For my entire adult life I don't think I've heard of a single good ending to Canada's procurement.

There's very little positive upside, it's either well that went pretty much as expected or god drat this shat the bed extra hard and it's still going, there is literally no end to it!

One that "just worked" were the mad scramble to procure Leopard 2s for afghanistan (driven by a failure of planning, of course but thankfully the dutch and germans had some tanks they were motivated to sell)

Also the recent selection of the new rifle for the Rangers went alright but realistically if they can't select and purchase a bunch of bolt action rifles I don't know what the gently caress

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

The arrow

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

No way...

College Slice

Stravag posted:

The arrow

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Didn't some of the Avro engineers gently caress off to the US space program, and the LM project in particular? Having a hand in putting people on the moon is an ok consolation prize imo

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

No way...

College Slice

Phy posted:

Didn't some of the Avro engineers gently caress off to the US space program, and the LM project in particular? Having a hand in putting people on the moon is an ok consolation prize imo

But it isn't the Maple Leaf on the moon though!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

priznat posted:

There's very little positive upside, it's either well that went pretty much as expected or god drat this shat the bed extra hard and it's still going, there is literally no end to it!

One that "just worked" were the mad scramble to procure Leopard 2s for afghanistan (driven by a failure of planning, of course but thankfully the dutch and germans had some tanks they were motivated to sell)

Also the recent selection of the new rifle for the Rangers went alright but realistically if they can't select and purchase a bunch of bolt action rifles I don't know what the gently caress

As we've observed here before, the only time procurement goes correctly in Canada is when it bypasses the procurement apparatus and the government writes a check

C-17 being another successful example

Somebody please re-post that OSS document on institutional sabotage, because I think somebody at some point replaced the first page of it with block letters "MILITARY PROCUREMENT FOR SMART PEOPLE"

Oh, and while thrashing around on the NSS, I discovered that when Irving got the contracts for the Halifax class, it bought out several small shipbuilders, hoping to go international with their naval shipbuilding---

Only to have these dreams crushed when the program ended and no new work was forthcoming

So this is the second time Irving has tried this. Question, is their ambition to be a shipyard bidding on international naval contracts a grift, or does somebody think they can actually be competitive and can they explain how

MrYenko posted:

So, if I did my math right, Canada could buy FORTY brand new Arleigh Burkes for what they’re planning on spending for fifteen ships-on-paper-only.

I mean, I understand that requirements are different, and the Burkes probably cost more to run than they want, but holy gently caress how do you gently caress up a program that bad? Are the contractors just opening a bank account and pouring cement trucks full of CAD$ into it?

lol

Where did you get the price, and are there yards out there that in could theory build some ABs?

asking for a friend

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 13, 2021

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I swear to god they taught the baby boomers this in kindergarten.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

No way...

College Slice

shame on an IGA posted:

I swear to god they taught the baby boomers this in kindergarten.

Aren't these the sabotage orders for occupied France?

Captain von Trapp
Jan 22, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

One thing I'll say for the Airborne Laser is that while it never was any good at its advertised purpose of shooting ballistic missiles, it was a great testbed for beam control, atmospheric optics, and all kinds of other technologies and phenomena. We got our money's worth, and those research dividends are still paying off today now that laser technology has improved to the point where high beam powers are more viable without carrying around tons of toxic chemistry for a few seconds of firing.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I was looking up some flights near me and stumbled upon this crazy list of military/government call signs.

Tag yourself: https://henney.com/chm/callsign.htm
On a first random look I’m taking PRIME BEEF

edit: what I looked up is that VIKNG and PACKER are indeed both used by the C-130s at MSP

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Apr 14, 2021

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I'm AXE OPS

Maybe BEAVER OPS [BEAVER OPS CP for 7th Bomb Wing (B-1Bs), Dyess AFB TX]

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Make your move...'cause mine's gonna be ugly.

The one that always gets me are the DOOM callsigns from the 2nd BW out of Barksdale.

Every so often one of their B-52H will show up on ADS-B and it's impossible to miss because it's got a custom icon.

The E-6Bs occasionally have fun or callsigns, and the E-4B has some funny/scary ones like ADIOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

Aren't these the sabotage orders for occupied France?

yes