Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Its so goddamn amazingly cold war jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

The same whack job who came up with the bop drive

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Never had the chance to get out to South Dakota, but it's definitely on my list. Too many museums, not enough time.

Less airpower but theres this place i wanted to go but never got the chance: https://www.heartlandmuseum.com/

Has a bunch of land vehicles and choppers and apparently a bunch of tanks that post ww2 were refitted to be tractors when they were brought back to the US because production hadn't shifted back yet in 46/47

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Yeah i was working a project out there and when i finished it was raining and didnt go because its all open air and poo poo. Should have gone anyway.

The only reason i found out was i drove past like 20 times getting to different survey areas and went "the gently caress is with all these choppers parked on the side of the interstate" and did some digging.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Blistex posted:

Is that anything like the H.O.P. Drive?

I dont know what that is but the bop drive was this genius's way to beat the laws of physics to use a giant hammer on an arm to hit a spaceship in the rear end and propel it forward

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Most ships in current navies are 30+ years old so were built for height of the coldwar staffing. As the military slowly draws down it leads to manning issues. That why the freedom/independence automation was such a huge deal

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Nothing

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Not having a carrier Saratoga is an inexcusable crime regardless of everything else

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Just use the society names or whatever from that book series ive been meaning to read. "Good ide at the time", "This again, Really?" Etc

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Mortabis posted:

State names should be reserved for the most important vessels like they were with battleships.

Which is why theyre given to subs packing nuclewr missiles

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

joat mon posted:

First ship of the Kissinger class, with sister ships Gallagher, Behenna, Golsteyn, Lorance, and Calley.

Will the class only have weapons that can hit themselves in the foot

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

They were, people just forgot to specify WHICH xmas

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Nothing with cheftain is must see tv

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

He puts forth factually incorrect info as gospel at times and is just awful to listen to. He also doesnt like people not knowing who he is. Xthetenthx (i think) went to a wargaming event where he was and in the middle of talking to another guy chumptain walks up and goes do you know who I am, Im the chieftain. People who watch his vids sometimes go nuts listening to him in the wg games discord

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Hauldren Collider posted:

Bmore PD is just legalized organized crime

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

It may be typical woman blaming too but from what i remember in school his wife was really pushing him towards it too because she wanted to go back to England

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Hurray? Werent low yield nukes already on subs in the form of torps? I assumed in the height of cold war stupidity that was a thing that happened

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

The hurray was sarcastic because i couldn't see a good reason for it in today's conflicts. Any really but today's in particular

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

How often do nations award medals to foreign servicemen? Because this dude https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvester_R._Foley_Jr. got medals from France, Japan, the S. Vietnam govt before they fell, RoK, and RoC

Edit: I know it happens from time to time but to have medals from that many nations is odd right?

Stravag fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Feb 6, 2020

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

NightGyr posted:

A podless hustler

I don't think I've actually been more erect about a plane before jesus

Edit: man the transport variant would have been hilarious

Stravag fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 9, 2020

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

The US also tries to trade lives for an objective as little as possible and little speedboats with unguided rockets is the exact opposite of that

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

The joe buff? novels about dogfighting attack subs slinging tac nuke torps at each other had some blue/green lidar being used from P3s and poo poo like that to detect subs hundreds of meters deep. People pull that poo poo all the time with whatever the newest thing discovered is being a tech miracle. Hell the john carter books were full of radium bullets being explosive when exposed to light able to make pinpoint shots dozens of miles away from a shoulder rifle

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

TK-42-1 posted:

this can’t possibly be true

Nah man Senior Prom is when we charge into a country, promise we'll pull out at the end, blow our load, and then get stuck in a sticky mess with no idea how it all went so wrong

Edit: holy poo poo it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Senior_Prom

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

If they don't name this groversub scinfaxi or hrimfaxi or alicorn we have failed as a people

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Im sure if youre bombing with literal tons of lead and sand with fixed wing aircraft its going to get dispersed as gently caress and also what if you miss and smack it into a new area and make everything worse somehow?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Is the soviet/chinese bit because they used their own gear?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I had thought it referred to the barrage ballons they used to put up around london to help protect the city. Go figure

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Truly the weirdest Falcons

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Watercooled MGs were at their best when armies were one upping each other by having a new bolt action rifle that held FOUR rounds before having to shove in a new clip instead of THREE like their rival nation had. Quick change barrels and noone ever wanting to get into the type of fight where an MG can sit in an emplacement and belt out 20k rounds at a time at people peaking their heads above a trenchline ever again. Tanks and armored vehicles became usable enough that a static 80 pound mg is just a target to get run over. 30 and 50 cal antitank rounds werent a threat to their armor anymore let alone an MG chambered in you normal rifle round. Aircraft advanced enough that they werent more dangerous to their pilots than they were to the enemy and carried more bombs with larger payloads and carried MGs of their own that they could strafe an mg emplacement with. You still saw them used with the atlantic wall crazy fortifications with 10 foot thick reiforced concrete ceilings meant to hold back a landing force but everywhere else you needed to be able to move the things quickly.

In short the rest of warfare caught up.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

From what i remember reading its 2 seperate engines with some weird goofy linked gearbox thing so either engine can power both props. No idea on them being synced.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Want the train thing the only scene left intact from the original director's who got shitcanned or am i thinking of a different movie? I had no interest in the antmans so skipped both of them

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I made my choice.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

zoux posted:

Ha! What'd they do?

Revert time 50 years in the time bubble and make their ship work in a new way and use the energy of an incoming energy beam power their poo poo. Its the last episode of sg1 i think?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Saint Celestine posted:

Pretty much yeah. Also unrelated hijinks due to having infinite time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unending

Up there with the OTHER temporal anomaly episode which involved the longest golf drive ever recorded.

IN THE MIDDLE OF MY BACKSWING?!

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Im baffled by the idea of instead of using 1 larger engine on each existing pylon for them, throw 2 larger engines on the inner most pylons

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Platystemon posted:

It looks dumb but it works out better for the load on the wing.

Ok fair enough

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Is that not just a giggles twitter? I thought that was the whole schtick when they mentioned receiving their 800th f22 which had less than 300 built and wasnt sold to the RAF last i knew

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

You could use whatever seeker heads are in mavericks and hellfires to have it track a target with fins that it only deploys when its in the target area as a quick idea off the top of my head. I dont know if those can independently pick targets or not but its an option. It wouldnt be great but im assuming if youre using a 1600km range rocket assisted artillery shell its because you couldn't get a platform to deploy tomahawks safely so you would go with what you can make fit in the shell and would improve you chances of whatever youre aiming at. It would also depend on what youre trying to hit. Youre not going to try and hit individual tanks from 1600 km out I would imagine, but if youre launching at a ship a radar seeker would probably be an easy and effective option.

Stravag fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 7, 2020

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

If you get hit with the end of it that snapped yeah youre gonna have a real bad day. If you get smacked by the end that didnt snap it wont have nearly the velocity so it's survivable. I wouldnt want to get hit by either option personally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

It always felt like half the host dialogue between them was filmed on different days after a while