Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yet another thing that can be just put down to the often terminal condition of romcom poisoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
at least at every bachelor party I've been to, it's for the dude getting married, so they get to pick the where and the when and other poo poo, or at least provide high level guidance on that while the best man does the logistics and coordination

this seems really rear end backwards to me

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Great, now the robots are stealing our shitposting jobs as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5oGJTUpbpA&t=85s

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
Wife Plays Music Way Super Loud

quote:

I [33M] am going crazy with my wife [22F] playing her music unreasonably loud. I've tried calmly asking her to turn it down, that it's too much for me. She tends to get defensive and *barely* lowers the volume.

I am unsure how to approach her so that we can compromise. She tells me she feels restricted by me, that she can't ever play her music aloud without me asking her to lower it. I won't be unfair - I almost always ask her to turn it down because it is often so loud that I can hear it over my quality bluetooth headphones, which are cranked to tune her music out.

She likes many different genres, but mostly plays either heavily-autotuned rap or tribal chanting. While I don't like either, and she knows this, I try to tolerate both.

When she plays music aloud, she uses a huge bluetooth speaker she got from her mom. Her entire family likes music jacked way up. If my wife showers, cleans, or does dishes, she uses this speaker at what must be max volume.

I've offered her my headphone for every scenario but the obvious shower. She rarely accepts because "she can't jam with headphones on."

Last week, she made a noise complaint with the police because our neighbor yells at his kids at night, 5-7pm. I've told her that it's hypocritical to be super loud when she doesn't like it when our neighbors are.

"The difference is that I'm listening to music, not yelling at kids. And it's not night time."

"Right, but not everyone likes your music. Maybe they don't want to hear it in the morning. You can't get mad at our neighbor for being loud when you're much, much louder," I say to her.

How can we compromise so that she can jam and I'm not miserable?

TL;DR:
Wife plays music crazy loud and I want her to lower it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I would be pissed if I found out I took 2 days off of work and made a 14 hour round trip for a party.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Propaniac posted:

Don't marry a 22yo if you don't want college kid problems

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Motronic posted:

Making this a surprise is stupid and not feasible. Drop that requirement and all of a sudden this ridiculous coordination between way too many people and national borders becomes almost possible, you broke brained idiots.
The other completely reasonable solution that fixes everything is to drop the idea of it being a completely standalone event. Instead, you have the friends come into town an extra day early and have your bachelorette party on the Thursday before the Saturday wedding or whatever. This is incredibly common with weddings where the couple lives in a separate city from the majority of the friend group.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Don't marry a 22yo if you don't want college kid problems

Yeah I was on his side at first because that sounds annoying as hell but thats what you get dating someone that young.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
that sucks in practice because you have to take more time off for the wedding and then, assuming you rage, you're starting off on the wrong side of the party curve, and anyway the bride and groom are stressing about the wedding rather than enjoying doing their own thing with their friends

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Propaniac posted:

Everyone knows you can’t listen to worm music with headphones, god is that obvious.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Everyone knows you can’t listen to worm music with headphones, god is that obvious.

Did anyone ever figure out wtf worm music is? It has haunted me for the last half a year since this was originally posted.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
This person is my hero

AITA for being “disgusting” in front of my fiancé’s family to prove a point?
Disclaimer: discussions of poop.

quote:

So, I’m a semi-vegan. I have lactose intolerance, gluten sensitivity (not to be confused with celiac), and IBS. I get teased a lot for my “dietary choices” mostly cause people think I’m a preachy PETA rear end but in reality I’m fighting a constant battle to not poo poo my pants. I also get people thinking I have an eating disorder because I’m relatively petit and can’t eat 99% of food, and spend a lot of time in the bathroom. I do eat occasional fish or baked chicken but 99% of my diet is plant based. Red meat is a no-go, no dairy, and I don’t eat grains which sucks cause I love bread so fn much 😭

Over the weekend my fiancé and I went to his parents house, they wanted to give us an engagement dinner. (We’ve been engaged for three months now, but we live a ways away). At the dinner was mom, step dad, younger brother, and grandma.

They know of my food aversions, they know I just eat “rabbit food,” I’ve been with my fiancé four years now. But at the dinner they served very well seasoned chicken and sausage jambalaya with cornbread and smothered potatoes. I’ve lived my entire life in the southern US surrounded by delicious food I cannot digest. I was really hurt, it felt like I was ignored. My fiancé asked if there was anything I could eat, since it was all almost completely against my dietary restrictions. Their response? Was I should just “live a little” and I needed some meat on my bones anyway. After all we were celebrating, I should enjoy myself.

Well I excused myself and my fiancé asked if I wanted to leave. I said no, I’m used to it, I didn’t want to come off as stuck up. So. I ate the food. Not a lot, but enough to be polite. And listen, it was loving good, I’ll admit it.

But less than an hour later I felt the rumbles. You know the ones, where a deluge is imminent. We were all chatting in the living room, the night was winding down, but I knew I wouldn’t make it all the way back home. I excused myself to the restroom, but at the last second I decided rather than go to the guest bathroom on the other side of the house, I’d go to the half bath next to the living room.

So... I went. In all my loud, stinky glory I went. It lasted maybe five minutes but the damage was immeasurable. The bathroom stunk and when I came out it was obvious everyone heard. It was awkward. I said “sorry, sensitive stomach you know?” We left shorty after.

My fiancé was embarrassed and we fought on the car ride home. He said I did it on purpose and it was “disgusting” and I shouldn’t have been so petty, we could have just left, why would I act so immature, etc.

I wasn’t sorry, I said his family knew about my problems but ignored me, I couldn’t help it. Was I being an rear end?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The last few days, r/relationships and AITA have given me hope. There have been several cases where somebody posted "My partner is [doing awful poo poo], am I being unreasonable?" and Reddit choruses You are not, and then the person says "Whew" and leaves the relationship. It's great. In between all the garbage of various sorts, people are being helped.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

artsy fartsy posted:

This person is my hero

This person loving owns. Them and the fiance seemed to be capable of basic communication too! Right until the end there

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

hallo spacedog posted:

Did anyone ever figure out wtf worm music is? It has haunted me for the last half a year since this was originally posted.

I went and found the original and based on their post it seems like music made to entice worms to un-burrow? EDIT: Or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worm_charming

quote:

AITA for listening to worm music?

Recently I discovered worm music and i’m addicted to it. I listen to it all the time. I introduced some of my friends to worm music and they all love it too. The only person who doesn’t like it is my mom. when i put on worm music in the car she calls it gay and retarded and “not even music” After that I just decided to not play worm music in the car. Fast forward a few days and I was in my room playing worm music really loud. The thing about worm music is that when it’s loud it’s not really loud. My mom was across the house and she went over to the kitchen to get a drink and then she heard my worm music. She stormed into my room and screamed at me to turn it off.

Am I the rear end in a top hat?

Other options: The soundtrack of the Worms games. Uhhh, music for reading the Worm fantasy web serial. Uhm, music to do the dance move "the worm" to. IDK sounds like some weird worm charming thing if it all has a low volume (for being more vibration based).

Xachariah fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 29, 2021

Late Fees
Jan 8, 2004
Your fees are valid.

it's music with lyrics about Dune

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

One thing that strikes me, after a hell of a lot of pages of reading, is that none of these people knows how to handle not getting what they want out of other people.

Any healthy relationship is a constant series of give and takes; you come into conflict and resolve it, because the relationship continuing is more important than whatever silly issue is annoying one of you right now. Sometimes you give, sometimes your partner gives. If you're both in the habit of trusting each other and working through it, you get through, even for crazy, 20-year-relationship-ending stuff. But if that ceases to be true - if actually the relationship is less important to you than getting what you want, or being right, or being seen to be right - then it's all aboard the r/relationships express.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Late Fees posted:

So weapon of choice?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Late Fees posted:

Toto's soundtrack is fantastic, nta

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Hughlander posted:

So weapon of choice?

And that one Grimes album

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

From legal advice

My (M42)ex (F40) shedded my mothers gift to my daughter (F18) of $500

quote:

I just found out that the gift my mother gave my daughter for her 18th birthday last year, a card with 5 $100 bills was taken by her mother, my ex wife and put in a paper shedder and then burned.

Because of the amount of money it was I wonder if my mother can sue her over this since it wasn’t her money to begin with. My ex is and always has been super petty about things and the reason she gave was quite simple “I did it because it was from your mother”. As she never liked anyone from my family

Edit: The part hurts the most is that my mother never had a lot of money and I know $500 was a lot for her to give but it meant so much to her for her to have it. And this news made her extremely upset over the matter

Further comments make it clear the ex wife did this in front of the daughter.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

artsy fartsy posted:

This person is my hero

There's one guy in the comments who keeps harping on "fiancé offered to leave, therefore you are the rear end in a top hat." Like he's said some variation of this in several different replies.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

artsy fartsy posted:

As great as this power move is, I am a little concerned how the fiancé doesn't have their back on this.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Am I in trouble for refusing to cooperate with a hospital as ex' "emergency contact"

quote:

3 years ago I was in a relationship. He was abusive, did some really deplorable things I found about later. I made a report, got a restraining order, and haven't spoken to him or anyone that knows him in 3 years.

A week ago he was in an accident. His phone was destroyed/could not be accessed but he had some information in his wallet. He still had me as his emergency contact. I was not aware he had added me as his emergency contact at any point.

I got a call Monday from an unknown number, it was someone from a hospital. They started telling me my ex was in a serious accident - I immediately cut them off and said "I don't care who this is, do not contact me again". They called back and asked if I could help them get in contact with someone else (at least I think that's what they wanted, I didn't let them finish) I cut them off pretty fast and said "I don't care, I hope he dies, do not contact me again" and hung up again.

His sister (we were friendly but I cut contact after the break-up) messaged me yesterday only letting me know that their family hired a lawyer to sue me for refusing to take the hospital's call, causing a delay in his treatment. He also had some allergies and medical details they didn't know about which caused complications and skyrocketed his medical bills. I had no idea about either.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

Post Removed Within Minutes posted:

Title: City Cops and Prosecutor trying to railroad my Brother

Original Post:

So about 2 years ago my brother was letting a coworker rent a room from him while they saved up for their own place. My brother and I operate very similarly with regards to addressing people by one name. We've known people for years without ever knowing their full legal names. Well this the issue they're using against him. He knew this guy from work for over a year and they were cool. He invited him and his son out to some of our religious group functions. So when dude needed a place to stay after getting booted from his house during a divorce my brother was a good guy and offered it to him.

Anyway, the cops came knocking one day a few months after dude had moved in. They kept asking for him using his full name. Well, we all only knew him by his shortened middle name. So my brother and his teenage son told the officers and detective that they didn't know the name, which was true. His wife knew the name because she dealt with the mail. However they never once asked her to come outside and join my brother and repeatedly told her to stay in the house. This person turned out to be a child molesting gently caress bag. And my brother would have given him up in a heartbeat, had he known the name and the charges at the beginning of questioning.

Now the pissy little detective is pressing charges for lying to an officer and obstruction and the prosecutor filed them along with some other poo poo and my brother is staring at felony charges on some pissy trumped up bullshit. He already has a history because his ex-wife got him in trouble. This poo poo would ruin him and he's about to be 50, so getting a job in this market is going to impossible. Let alone he's the sole earner in the house because his current wife has hyperthyroidism and her body is literally eating itself. So she WILL die without him there.

They have a lovely pubic defender who wants him to take a reduced sentence but still cop to the felony lying charges. They can't afford better, and let's face it because of kung flu most of us couldn't either.

Thoughts on how to approach this? Sorry for the horrible sentence structure, I'm a bit emotional.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Hughlander posted:

Am I in trouble for refusing to cooperate with a hospital as ex' "emergency contact"

Lmao

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Hughlander posted:

Holy poo poo OP owns

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Do they actually have a case against her though? Like could she actually be sued for not discussing with the hospital?

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

hallo spacedog posted:

Do they actually have a case against her though? Like could she actually be sued for not discussing with the hospital?

As far as I'm aware, being someone's ICE contact isn't legally binding.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I feel like maybe there could be a case if they were estranged but hadn’t actually gotten divorced yet, that’s about it.

Late Fees
Jan 8, 2004
Your fees are valid.

YTA

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

hallo spacedog posted:

lol, no

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

'cause they forgot the s?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

hallo spacedog posted:

yeah she's gonna be tried in fairy court because her ex wrote down her True Name and stuck it in his wallet, binding her to his will

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
They can't "have a case" because then you could literally put down anyone as an emergency contact and then sue them when they are completely blindsided by it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
That’s why I figured the only way there could be any possibility of a case is if they were still legally married, but then again, the last time I lawyered was in high school.

Late Fees
Jan 8, 2004
Your fees are valid.

Batterypowered7 posted:

'cause they forgot the s?

read like overgeneralization of the ends in s --> apostrophe after rule, which is incredibly annoying, but i guess you could be right. i'm the rear end in a top hat

haggisforthesoul
Feb 2, 2006
Soiled Meat

artsy fartsy posted:

Play lovely games, win lovely prizes.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

yeah she's gonna be tried in fairy court because her ex wrote down her True Name and stuck it in his wallet, binding her to his will

That will only work if there's gold trim around the American flag and that they declare admiralty law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
You forgot joinder!