Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Picnic Princess posted:

Wait. They'd pick a different kid in case the first one doesn't want to change their name? That's horrible. They shouldn't be parents. That kid is nothing but an accessory to them.

No, she says that's what her sister should do, not what her sister offered to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Midnight Voyager posted:

If I'm doing the math on the ages, it seems like the brother literally never lived with any of the other siblings at all. He lived at someone else's house until he was 14, and the guy was 12 when he was born.

What I'm saying is, it doesn't sound like he's a brother, it sounds like he's a stranger who shares a mom.

(I'd still invite him to the wedding)

It sounds like him and his other siblings never made an effort to get to know him, and that years of resentment from him (and his mother) over this de facto rejection by family members has led to this blowing up in his face. If I was his mother, I'd be furious too, and would probably not go to the wedding in protest.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for ignoring my son for three days as punishment?

We thought this was unacceptable and horrifying, so we decided to do it too.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Serephina posted:

Both sides are multilingual there, so they should know better.

Learning another language to a level where you can engage in that kind of conversation properly takes years, (or least several months of really intensive work) so I can understand their reluctance. This is just a guess, but I suspect they've also gotten into a situation where neither side wants to learn the other's language, because that would be letting the other person win, like "why should I learn their language, when they won't learn mine?"

On the other hand, both trying to learn each other's languages is pretty much the only way I can see the salvage this, since this sounds like it could be a relationship ender.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Miss posted:

Update: My (23F) boyfriend (25M) of 5 months is convinced my dog has behavioral issues

Wow, bullet dodged just in time right there.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Solus M.D. posted:

AITA for refusing to clean the toilet bowl after my wife bought taco bell

There's a type of ethics called Consequentialism, where you define an act as good or evil by the consequences it has, rather than what the act itself is. This post is a good example of how that can go terribly wrong.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Motherfucker posted:

Real talk thought don't clap your boyfriend for sleep crimes without at least making him aware of the situation. Once you do all bets are off of course since the balls in his court in terms of fixing his poo poo but I think its a little mean to literally hold him accountable for something they straight up can't be aware of without you making them aware of it.

I'd just bail on grounds that I can't imagine this not being a sign of something horribly broken inside the person, but if I were to give them the benefit of the doubt, what could they do? If they're doing it in their sleep, and it genuinely is innocent, what steps could they take to prevent it?

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 20, 2020

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Person with a confederate flag tattoo not coming along seems like a win to me!

e: this thread moves too fast.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Smirking_Serpent posted:

We decided to get a puppy. Put the deposit down, and the day comes to pick her up (8 week old lab). I decided to contact the breeder and set up the proposal with the puppy. The whole event went off flawlessly. It was an amazing and exciting day for our families and everybody came in waves to celebrate with us and meet the puppy.

Is this normal? Maybe it's just the language he's using, but it sounds like he's marrying the dog.

Anyways, if a ring is stuck on your finger, it helps a lot if another person tries to take it off. They have to pull the skin around the ringer in the opposite direction they pull the ring and it should just pop right off. If you just pull on the ring, the skin around it bunches up in front of the ring and it gets stuck.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

I am leaning more toward rear end in a top hat. Like she could have just left it alone or been like “yeah that sucks” but to go into all that detail for no real reason just seems assholeish.

He feels bad about being bullied there is like 0 reason to make it worse lol.

I dunno, I was bulled when I was at school and as an adult, I've come to understand why and I think that helped me. Thinking of yourself purely as a victim of bullies with no deeper understanding beyond your own self-pity isn't really that healthy in the long run. You don't need to forgive your bullies or think they're justified, just see their point of view a bit.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Generally, bullying is barely about what you like or what you look like or even what you do, it's about whether you look like a vulnerable target, and that's all that really matters.

Everyone's situation is different, sometimes the bully is a sadist looking for a victim, sometimes they're vulnerable themselves and looking for someone to take it out on, sometimes they just have a short temper and the victim rubs them the wrong way.

In the end though, you can't really do anything about who the bully is, but you can do something about who you are, and understanding how you acted in that bullying situation, and why, can make you a better person.

MarcusSA posted:

I guess. I just don't think she needed to :actually: him over it. Just seemed mean.

Yeah, "actually it's because you were a cringe worthy creep" is certainly pretty loving brutal!

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Guys, just put yourself in your bully’s shoes, and you’ll see that actually it was kind of your fault.

Everyone in this thread is obsessed with blame and who's fault something is. It's possible to understand and explain why a guilty party did something without exonerating them or blaming their victim.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

tractor fanatic posted:

You starting this off by blaming the victim though?

I don't think I did, but considering what I just wrote (below), maybe I do a bit?

From what I read, the guy thought he was bullied because of a lazy eye, something totally beyond his control, and that probably comforted him. His GF however, told him that actually it was due to things he did, which he certainly could have controlled. So she basically tore away a safety blanket he was using about his own past, which was a fairly cruel thing to do.

That doesn't really mean it was his fault that the bullies acted the way they did, it should be clear to anyone that the bullies themselves are to blame. What it does mean though is that he didn't use to be a very likable person, and that's on him. The guy has changed as well, he is a better person now, so maybe he doesn't need to keep lying to himself about who he used to be.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I actually know someone that basically killed their cat by trying to keep it to a vegan diet. Towards the end she was all "I'm not taking him to the vet just so they can tell me to feed him cat food"

That's horrible, a dog can (in theory) survive on vegetables and grains, but a cat just can't digest them at all. Poor thing will just starve to death :(

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA For refusing to go to my sister's wedding because my other sibling is in the wedding party and I'm not?

There's a bunch of comments from the poster about this, but this one jumped out at me:

quote:

There are a lot of ways I can help her with the wedding that don't specifically involve being a bridesmaid, and also ways I can feel included without specifically being a bridesmaid. The last straw was the complete exclusion from anything in the wedding, including: not being in any photos, and not even being seated with the rest of my family. All while the atmosphere is "first family wedding" etc, except minus me.

You can put before your first arrow, years of trying to improve our relationship with nothing in return and being excluded from many things over the years. Yes, my sister is the sort of person who will always have a polite and logical response to anything you say to her, but that does not address anything that you have said or how you feel.

It's not that she's not in the wedding party, she's literally relegated to 2nd tier guest. When my brother got married he asked me to bake him a wedding cake, which was a hilariously awful idea, but him and his wife wanted everyone to feel included and even though I laughed in his face, I still appreciated the thought. It sounds like the sister can't even be bothered to give the appearance of caring.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

spacetoaster posted:

Holy poo poo. So many giant problems could be avoided if people could just keep the horrible thoughts they have on the inside.

This is related to my theory about the Bridezilla phenomenon. We spend our whole lives suppressing our stupid and selfish impulses, until society tells us that this one day is our day, and we can choose to do what we like. So all those impulses and ideas come spilling out in a torrent of ME ME ME while the world watches in horror.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

My sister [32] and her husband [30] are getting evicted from their apartment, and my mom [65] and dad [67] thinks that I [40M] should let them live in my beach house for free

"Man up and deal with it!" say couple shifting the consequences of their actions to their children.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

tactlessbastard posted:

I went to high school with a guy with the name Richard (pronounced) Reshard. At homecoming, he was announced as so and so Reshard, son of Mr. and Mrs. Ritchard :ughh:

Well, I found his namesake, I can see why he wanted to hide it: https://youngonesbottomrikade.fandom.com/wiki/Richard_Richard

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Algol Star posted:

Different perspective on an estranged parent situation from the guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2020/jul/03/my-half-sister-has-rejected-my-parents-who-is-really-to-blame

Feel like her parents poisoned her relationship with her sister and she can't see it.

They say parents make the most mistakes with their first children, it’s possible the older sister’s blow up convinced her parents to become better people.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

Doesn't have PTSD and is a manipulative garbage person.

Or, gained PTSD from dealing of consequences of being a garbage person.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I dunno, I think his intentions were fine, but the whole "Can I teach you something about culture?" comes across as quite patronizing, and his GF's response implies she was expecting him to be patronizing and rude, so that's likely his usual MO.

OTOH being silenced the way she silenced him is really aggravating, and I'm not surprised he's angry at her about it.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I couldn't follow this at all. Everyone sounds stupid as hell.

His mother is poor (or used to be poor), and has a rich friend.

His wife's mother also wants to be friends with that rich friend, due to being a social climber (even though said rich friend dislikes social climbers)

Rich friend had a party at his mother's house, and his wife convinced his mother to invite her mother to that party.

Since the mother and friend dislike the wife's mother, they lied to her and told her it was a formal event, when it was a casual one.

The wife's mother turned up in some fancy gown and was humiliated.

Wife is now angry with his mother.

Edit: Wife's mother has already acted awfully to his mother since she used to be poor, which pretty much explains why they treated her the way they did.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jul 21, 2020

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Mr. Lobe posted:

Yeah for me this one was definitely a case where I went 180 degrees from reading the title to the text.

Seems like they're not a good fit for each other anymore. If they have incompatible values that make it impossible for them to maintain the relationship they both agreed to, there is no resolving it together.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. This sounds like the kind of little thing that could spiral into destroying their marriage if neither of them is willing to compromise, and if you believe his side of the story, it's hard to argue that he should be the one to compromise more than he already has.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
The guy he grabbed had just threatened to beat him up. It's not like he randomly attacked a passer by.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Lysistrata posted:

Not to mention that even in his own recounting, his aggression suddenly ramps up when someone says "you dont own her," to the point where he seems to get angry even writing it down days later.

Its a very weird way to treat someone you respect as an equal, so I think its safe to assume he doesn't.

If I'm trying to get my wife out of a dangerous situation, and one of the people trying to put her in that situation accuses me of being controlling, I'd probably get angry too since I'd feel like the person was trying to misrepresent my intentions.

Anyways, the whole idea of him being controlling would be much easier to understand if his wife had actually stated to him that she wanted to go with them. As it stands, the people his wife were with were towing her around like she was a doll, trying to take her away from him. In a very real sense, it was those people who were being controlling, there's no sense that the wife actively wanted to go with them.

I get that the guy was aggressive, and maybe he is a bit of a dick, but looking at the situation as he describes it, I don't think he did anything wrong here.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

pentyne posted:

other then the whole "stand there choking a guy so I could see the fear in their eyes" while his black out drunk wife is shambling back into the house unaided.

You mean the guy who was going to try and gangrape his wife? The one who'd just threatened to beat him up?

But anyways, looking at everything else the guy has said, the subtext is pretty telling here, so I don't really feel like defending this guy as a person anymore. I guess my only real point was, I was with him until the next morning when he turned out to be an rear end in a top hat.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

DreamingofRoses posted:

You mean the guy who was still seated in the car?

I didn't realize that sitting in a car was the only defense I needed in this world for being a total prick. This changes everything!

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

DreamingofRoses posted:

It changes what should be prioritized, like instead of escalating a pissing match with someone who isn’t an immediate physical threat he could have focused on getting his very impaired wife safely inside.

That's fair enough! But you know, it's late, you're tired, and you have 4 aggressive people arguing with you and trying to take your wife away. I think it's a bit unfair to expect the guy to calmly and logically assess the situation here.

But anyways, in the end

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Sometimes, assholes can be heroes.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean no server is going to judge you for what you order but here we are

I was a waiter for 4 years, and the only time I looked down on a customer for what they ordered was someone who ordered pesto pasta and then sent it back because they didn't like basil or Parmesan cheese.

Waiters, even at high end places, really don't care what you order unless you start making a huge fuss and being difficult. Ordering stuff which isn't on the menu, for example. Or demanding things which aren't possible, like pesto pasta without basil :argh:

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for pulling the plug on my daughter’s “album release” party?

I knew I was gonna hate this guy when I saw him put the word singer in quotes.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

ArbitraryC posted:

You know I want to agree but people who randomly sprinkle foreign words and pretend it’s a complete slip of the tongue to appear more worldly despite being nowhere near fluent and obviously forcing it are I dunno, pretty hard to be around.

Niche type but you run into a bunch of people in college that did like a semester study abroad and good luck getting them to shut up about it for the next decade of their life.

It genuinely can happen sometimes. I came home from a dutch lesson once and said something to my US flatmate in English, but using Dutch word order (e.g. something like "I'm glad that I home am because I tomorrow so early must work") and it took me a few seconds to realise I'd gotten it wrong. When it does happen, I sometimes talk about it because I'm proud about it tho, mostly because I'm working hard on something that most people don't care about (since they don't speak the language) so I need a little affirmation sometimes that I'm not totally wasting my time, if that makes sense... I totally get that it's annoying :shobon:

Cliff posted:

Thinking emotionally: Not wanting to sell your flat because it is big enough for a family, in a great location, and owned outright
Thinking realistically: Wanting your partner to sell their flat because they bought it with "stripper money" and you wouldn't "feel right"

I don't think there are any people in this world more insecure than men.

Also thinking realistically: The flat was bought with stripper money, but if we sell it and then by another house with that money, the stripperiness will be removed and all will be right with the world!

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm in goddamn Australia where everything is twice the price and a year late by default and even then it takes some effort to go over one thousand dollars for a decent gaming computer last I checked, unless you're letting yourself get gouged for Alienware poo poo.

Eh, an RTX 2070 graphics card will set you back at least 800 AUSD straight away. I mean, I'm sure you can get a good gaming PC for less than a 1000, but going over is easy if you decide you want something high performance.

My last gaming PC cost over 2000 euros, though I am notoriously bad with money.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Soylent Pudding posted:

My favorite coffee shop in grad school had a delicious vegan curried lentil pastry and I should figure out how to make one.

They sound like Samosas, maybe?

https://eathealthyeathappy.com/spicy-lentil-samosas-vegetarian/

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Soylent Pudding posted:

You hatelove to see it:

AITA for emasculating a boy in a game of football?

What is it with men being angry with women that they were beaten by? Why are they not angry with themselves? It's quite a leap of logic here:

1. I should beat her, because she's a girl
2. She beat me, because she's better than me
3. Is this my fault for being bad? NO! It's hers for being UNFAIRLY GOOD.

Like, would he feel LESS emasculated if the girl clearly let him win? Because that would imply that not only was he bad, but also deserving of pity.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 20, 2020

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for telling my ex I'm not going to be an ally?

His mistake was to say he wasn't going to be an ally, he should have just said he doesn't want to be her friend.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for refusing to stay in MIL’s “guest house?”

120 square feet is like a 3x3m room, I don’t understand how anyone could possibly think that would work as accommodation for a family of 6.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

teen witch posted:

AITA for not paying my daughter $200.

65$ a month is almost nothing, and the fact this guy is trying to swindle her out of it is horrible. Also, the kind of person who can save 500$ from 65$ a month is clearly not the kind of person to suddenly go and splurge all their money on drugs and video games.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Midnight Voyager posted:

Some parents just assume kids are always faking sick. Boy have I ever experienced that one. I don't understand why some parents can't understand that their kid is a person who has feelings.

It sounds really harsh, but those parents were actually lucky the result was only deafness in one person. Meningitis is extremely serious, it can kill and it can spread to other people. According to this CDC page, the fatality rate for untreated meningitis can be SEVENTY loving PERCENT.

At one point when I was in University I had a rash on my arms which matched one of the symptoms of meningitis. I went to hospital, and was immediately taken through triage and seen by like 5 different doctors. They couldn't figure out if I had meningitis or not, so they put me in isolation on intravenous antibiotics and contacted my university. All of my friends, my girlfriend and all of HER friends were all told to take an antibiotic course as well. Considering my other experiences with the NHS involved sitting in a waiting room for 4 hours with a broken arm, it kind of felt like I'd come in bubonic plague or something.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Bruceski posted:

Do note that meningitis is named for a symptom, swelling of the head and spinal cord membranes and can have a lot of causes. They're all bad, but lethality and other complications vary depending on whether it's viral, bacterial, fungal, et cetera. I think it was viral for me, spent the better part of a month in hospital and it's all a blur except for when I got a spinal tap (interesting data point about how memory edits things, I don't actually remember pain but I remember the screaming and complaining about the pain) but no lasting damage, I was just as slow-witted before I got sick.

Ouch, that sounds horrible man. I feel for you :(

I would imagine they were worried I had bacterial meningitis, given that I was on antibiotics for 3 days. In the end, they decided it probably wasn't that (my friends had to complete their antibiotic courses anyway, just to be safe). I asked them what I did have, and they said it was an "Idiopathic Skin Condition",and when I asked what that meant, they told me "Idiopathic" is doctor speak for "We don't know".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I wish people would stop blowing the money they need to live on absurdly expensive romantic gestures, it makes me sad :(

Like, if she loved you, she’d want you to have a nice life free of crippling debt, right?