Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

davidspackage posted:

The whispered inner monologues are such a blunt method of adapting a book that lets you read any character's thoughts, but it gives the movie a unique quality. Maybe Villeneuve should have the characters speak their thoughts directly in the camera, like panto performers.
It worked in House of Cards (the British original; haven't seen the remake).

Reading this thread is not only bringing back memories of reading the novel and watching Lynch's adaptation, but also National Lampoon's Doon, where a galactic conflict is fought over control of the mind-altering substance, beer. Also ribbed were the internal monologues, conversations where everyone is hiding their true intent, "Aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh", Drunken Omaha, Safire Halfwit and - a joke I didn't get until years later - NOAMCHOMSKY.

Edit: I just this second realised who "Safire" is mocking.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jan 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Sidenote: I'm re-reading Doon (thanks, ebay!) and there are so many jokes I didn't get when I first read it as a teen. Herbert's literary style is ribbed even more mercilessly than I remember, as well. Definitely worth a read if you can find it.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Just realised that the first line of the thread should have been:

A N I D A H O

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Gonna be fun for the studio publicity guy who realises he has to find a way to sell a story that's essentially 'the rise of Mohammed, and Islam's Jihad against imperialist capitalism' to the Star Wars and Marvel crowd. How far will "...but with giant sandworms!" go?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Now he looks like the wrathful Buddha.
Now he looks like he's in a wind tunnel!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Samovar posted:

What's that from? I think I recognise it...
"Mitchell/Mitchell!/Mitchell/ry-yyyyye on a sammich/heart's pounding/veins clogging/MITCHELL!"

drat, now I'm picturing Joe Don Baker as Lynch's Baron.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Don't you mean "Ahhhhhhh-h-h-h-h"?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I assume this is the bit where the spice miner gets eaten?
"It's insured," murmured the Duke.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Edit: Freezeframe anime intros.
[Paul is mid-fight with someone, and a blade stabs at his throat when FREEZE-FRAME! RECORD SCRATCH!]

"You're probably wondering who I am and how I got here..."

[Montage of character names superimposed Michael Bay-style on stylised freeze-frames. Whoomp, PAUL! Whoomp, LETO! Whoomp, DUNCAN! Whoomp, GURNEY!]]

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Michael Bay's Dune: a stuntperson is killed during the filming of one scene, so footage of Shockwave's giant worm is awkwardly cut into the movie (with ornithopters CGI'd in to cover any Transformers) as a replacement for the missing shot.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Just realised how much funnier it would have been if people shouted "WOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRMMMMM!" instead.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

spanky the dolphin posted:

https://twitter.com/DRMovieNews1/status/1301573216255832064?s=20

I also see some people on twitter saying the trailer will be 3mins long.
I hope the trailer really is "stunning in sense and scope", because these stills are... kind of underwhelming? Dimly-lit CGI shot that could be from Rise of Skywalker, dimly-lit shot of kid in museum, dimly-lit shot of kid in library, publicity shot of actors in Borg costumes.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
'The Robots of Death' was actually the trigger for the Butlerian Jihad.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Mulva posted:

It helps to remind yourself that all helicopters work on the theory that the helicopter is too stupid to know it shouldn't work, and must be distracted from all times from realizing the unnatural state of it's existence, least it return to it's natural resting state of "lying at the bottom of a burning crater".
Fixed-winger in our midst!

(The version I heard was: the only reason helicopters can fly is that they're so ugly, the ground pushes them away.)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Maybe Villeneuve is taking a "the actors' faces are the most important thing in a shot and nothing should distract from them" approach, but that felt... sterile. All these huge, expansive spaces with not a lot going on in them, as if background detail had been deliberately toned down.

Still, maybe that's because I was viewing it on a phone and it'll look far more impressive on a giant screen... ah.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
MY WIFE has gone to bed early, so gonna drink wine and watch LynchDune tonight, because why the gently caress not.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Ha, I'd completely forgotten that in the Lynch film, ultra-badass fan fave Duncan Idaho (played by, um, the national security advisor from The Hunt For Red October? Yeah, I didn't recognise him either) appears in like three scenes and is merked by some random Harkonnen soldier in five seconds flat.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

MikeJF posted:

It'll be at the very end of Part I, won't it?

I wonder if they're going to just call the next one Dune Part II or give it a subtitle.

(Well, it won't be part II, fancy movies call it Volume II or Chapter II these days)
D U N 2.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Microsoft's lawyers suddenly perk up and are not quite sure why.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Filming the first half of a novel without any commitment to making the rest is just a mind-blowingly :stare: decision. Lynch's film may have been something of a train wreck, but at least it told a complete story. So is this just going to end with a card saying "Baron Harkkonen died on the way to his home planet"?

Dune's a densely-packed story, sure, but it's still a single book. If you can't condense it even to a three-hour epic, you're not trying hard enough.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I just have a grim feeling that with the glut of big movies waiting to be released, Dune - which is anything but a fun and exciting four-quadrant spectacular with a traditional uplifting hero's journey storyline - will get good reviews only to be kerbstomped at the box office by Bond or Fast 9 or whatever Marvel movie is cued up. And "it's only half a story!" will be touted as one of the reasons. :smith:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Mention of the Butlerian Jihad made me think: it's been a long time since I read past the first book (think I got as far as God-Emperor in my teens), but is Ix the only known world that isn't a feudal nightmare run by warring aristocrats or conquered by brutal religious fanatics? I remember thinking it sounded like the only planet where I might remotely want to live; is there a catch?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Odds that the two "pause the trailer to give the audience a chance to laugh" quips are the only jokes in the entire movie?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Jewmanji posted:

It's like having multiple Christs. There can be only one.
Now picturing multiple Christs decapitating each other with swords.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I have to admit, I'm still concerned that we're going to end up with half a story that never gets finished. "Should we go for a three-hour runtime and try to get the whole book in there, even if it means truncating or dropping some aspects? I mean, Titanic and Avengers Endgame were three hours long and people sat through those." "Nah, two and half hours max, and we'll leave Paul leading the Fremen against the Harkonnens until part 2. After all, what are the odds that some kind of global emergency will massively affect the potential box-office returns on our $160 million movie?"

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Maybe Part 2's going to be like part 2 of Atlas Shrugged, where it's made on half the budget and with a totally different and cheaper cast.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's not getting unanimous praise unfortunately.
Yeah, Variety and Hollywood Reporter both have "It's impressive, buuuuut..." reviews, boiling down to its running out of steam some time before the To Be Continued ending, most of the characters you become invested in being killed off (blame Herbert for that, though) and a feeling that what it's showing has been blunted by imitation in other films, specifically Star Wars.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

porfiria posted:

Is there any reason why in Dune the preferred method of fighting isn't to ram SUVs into each other? Wouldn't a shielded SUV ramming into a shielded dude still gently caress the dude up really bad from getting thrown around?
Ha, that reminded me of the episode of the comic Empowered where the heroine goes "you know what will gently caress up any supervillain, no matter how strong their armour is? Hitting them with three tons of metal at 70mph" and she then ploughs a speeding Hummer into some dumb bastard.

D U N C (buggy)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I am struggling to find the quote now but I remember reading that when the police caught and arrested pedophiles in the US they were almost always Star Trek fans
So now we know who Neelix was meant to appeal to.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 10, 2021

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Jewmanji posted:

The baron is not very Trumpy.
But Trump is a Baron. John Baron.

I know, it's "Barron"

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Tankbuster posted:

Look it sets up the Sardaukar as a pretty cool elite villain. Its just the fight scenes felt kinda like a football riot with slightly more jumping around
Better than the Dark Knight Rises cops vs thugs interpretive dance battle y/n

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Fast & Fremen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Dune adjacent: the NYT has an article about AI being used to create production stills from a movie that never existed - in this case, Jodorowsky's Tron. (The AI was trained mostly on his Dune production art, and the results are, IMO, pretty drat cool.)