Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

font color sea posted:

Life size Sandworms only!

Gore Verbinski's Dune would have been something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

God created COVID-19 to train the faithful.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

DandyLion posted:

Running a very real risk of reaching our own impending Butlerian Jihad and ending up with no way to watch it though....

Human civilization circa the year 10,412: "Many awful news updates on SA, much like those on Fark."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

That just means the return of physical media, we'll watch things on datatapes and filmbooks.

Just like it says in the Orange Catholic Bible, HDDs shall not be replaced.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Capntastic posted:

This is a good Tenet joke because it’s totally backwards

Yeah but [AnIncredibleJokeRelatingThisToTenantInvolvingTimeTravelI'mTooTiredToThinkofRightNow]

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Pascallion posted:

Waterworld: A Live Sea War Spectacular at Universal Studios is better than most movies.

Probably better than the Dune version would be, too, unless they got you high on “spice” somehow.

A live Dune stunt show event where edibles are distributed beforehand would be cool as gently caress. And they can insert in character music/conversations in it for the ecological/world building stuff.

Basically just make Stunt Rock 1:1 but with Dune poo poo and Pink Floyd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0eFDJ8UztI

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

GORDON posted:

So.... as months and years go by before the movie is released, does it lesson the chances of the second half of the movie getting made? I think I might just be angry if the first movie is good, but all the actors aged and went on to other projects before making the sequel.

In the book three years pass between when Paul and Jessica flee into the desert and the big battle at the end. So even if it's a few years between flicks for scheduling reasons I don't think it will matter. Plus quite a few folks get killed or/and don't show up for a while (or haven't appeared yet) after where it looks like the first movie is ending which might actually make scheduling easier like if they just need Thufir for example for like half a minute of voice over and to stand in a crowd at the end or whatever.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

i'm just saying make a long rear end Dune film and then make the next film Dune Messiah or w/e

For the real book length disparity make the first Dune adaptation like five hours long and then make the Dune Messiah adaptation 85 minutes long.

Cacator posted:

I'd say the Saracens came out looking pretty good compared to the crusaders in the Kingdom of Heaven extended cut.

I really like that movie a lot. If anyone hasn't seen it it really is like an Alien 3 Assembly Cut level difference in quality. Even much greater in some ways with how much more character and plot was cut out.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Comedy option of Copolla because Redux is so long it makes the viewer feel like they're going crazy just like Lance

I'm not saying the French plantation segment is weird and dumb and not particularly greatly executed (I mean it is on all three counts) but like, it's hilarious that they really put that scene back in like right in between them actually approaching Kurtz' territory and "Soon there would be nothing left, it was just me, and Kurtz." :lol:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Yeah, iirc the studio wanted to say in marketing that they had alternate cuts for all of the Allen movies in their big megabox collection, and offered Scott a (presumably large) amount of money to just gently caress around for a bit and make a different cut they could use.

Both Gladiator and Alien have an intro before the those cuts of the movie where he's basically like "what's up motherfuckers the film I directed and chose to have released in theaters was absolutely flawless but here's some stuff I threw together so these marketing suits will shut the gently caress up peace"

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

no way in hell..

it's Alien > Alien^3>Aliens>Prometheus>Alien Resurrection>Alien Covenant

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, better than Aliens but not Alien for sure.

phasmid posted:

Alien 3 is proof that David Fincher is a better director than Scotty Riddle.

Bugblatter posted:

Well, he didn’t say Fincher is better than Cameron. So he might not.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i like Alien 3 better than like 95% of this subforum and even i wouldn't go that far

it's only the second-best Alien movie after Prometheus, after all :haw:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

I think that graphic was made before Covenant, but if it were in the list I'd put it above Resurrection. Covenant has a lot of really interesting stuff going on but it's a mess—just like Resurrection. But it has David which for sure gives it the edge. I feel like Isolation would fit between the two on my list.

Though yeah Covenant deserves a rewatch from me. It was a weird expectations thing for me the first time around.

Yeah I made it like a few months before Covenant dropped. I think my actual, real order would be:

Alien (either cut)
Alien 3 assembly cut
Aliens extended
Prometheus
Aliens theatrical
Covenant
Alien 3 theatrical
Alien Resurrection (either cut)

But this is like a pointless thing to rank for me because to me theatrical Alien 3 and Resurrection are the only movies in Actually Bad territory. I love the rest.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The machines in The Matrix are three laws compliant and the system is the result of an extremely convoluted chain of logical leaps to punish humanity for attempting to genocide robots without actually breaking them.

This is what I think too. They even said in the first movie, the 1.0 version of the Matrix was an idyllic paradise but it ended up not working due to the lack of conflict and stimulus making brain activity too inactive to power stuff with.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah I always interpreted the machines taking over as less a Terminator thing and more what I guess today would be a "Your entire life is managed by Amazon" sort of a thing.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Agreed the Lynch Dune is way better.

Speaking of which finally watched this cut of it and honestly I think this is the best version of the Lynch movie that can exist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJykw3H4PDw

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

i wish they'd just release one massive epic film instead of a two parter.

With how people binge watch stuff that's not a bad idea

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Men are meat.

Men are Vampires, Women are Wampires.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Herzog should voice any guild navigators.

Jodorowsky should play the ghost of Liet-Kynes' father when they're tripping out in the desert before they die. I saw him speak once and holy loving poo poo that can that guy rant about climate change. Like don't even write dialogue for him just turn on the camera and be like "So Mr. Jodorowsky I noticed it's a little warmer today than yesterday-" and he'll pop off for like three hours.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

RestingB1tchFace posted:

No matter how many times I watch Lynch's Dune....I'll never quit being amazed it. Mostly by how Lynch was given a major budget to create a movie (that very often looked like it had no budget) which would be impossible to follow by anyone who's never read the book. Insert the goofy inner dialogues and the extremely jarring cuts....and you have to wonder if any of this was on purpose. Not to mention the world making GBS threads space worm.

kaworu posted:

I feel like there's a masterpiece somewhere in that film, and you can see glimmers of it here and there. And it's exciting and awesome because you know you're watching a filmmaker shoot for the moon - and ultimately miss. But it's a pretty goddamn magnificent failure.

I feel like Lynch wanted to make some kind of sci-fi Lawrence of Arabia, and the studio wanted a by-the-numbers Star Wars-esque money-maker. It's a shame we'll never really know what Lynch's real vision for that film would have looked like.

I'd say this fan edit is the best version of the movie and absolutely worth watching. It really brings out all of the best parts of what Lynch did with it, but also the movie's flaws. You can see how the third act, like it really falls apart in the third act in general and looks the cheapest there and I doubt any cut of what was filmed would have nailed the third act because of that. But I absolutely loved this version of the movie compared to the others:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJykw3H4PDw

Also notable because unlike the Alan Smithee version it's not just longer because of them repeating the footage of folks landing on Giedi-Prime and walking down those stairs like four times and stuff like that. There's footage and shots that aren't in any officially released version in this and even a few very minor newly made bits. Lot of genuinely respectful work was put into making this cut good. I love it.

I think a big part of what makes the final act so bad (for me) is how they set this huge epic mega-battle of battles, but then so much of it is conveyed via the Emperor and his generals on those monitor console things in that one room which was a huge mistake to me. If they didn't have the budget to have an insane amount of extras running around stabbing/shooting each other in a coherent way they should have done what the 80s Henry V did and kept it focused on a much smaller group and done something coherent with them instead.

Then again, in the book the major battles are simple affairs with not a lot of page time, compared to the much more detailed one on one dueling. I'm curious to see what kind of balance Villenueve goes for with that.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 27, 2021

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

I think Children of Dune is a step up. Also one of the first roles for James McAvoy.

The Children of Dune adaptation is just all around solid to me, and I think it was smart to just make Messiah and Children one story. The first adaptation, warts and all, was generally considered okay so I was surprised how many of the roles were re-cast in between. That is a bit of a downside, in some cases they got more known/talented people but I think they were miscast. Like Stilgar in Children is like, wait, this guy is Stilgar?

I still want to see someone try for adapting God Emperor of Dune. It'd basically be a Neil Breen movie with a massive budget.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

david_a posted:

I watched the “Dune alternate edition redux” aka the Spicediver fan edit of Dune 1984 last night. There were a few awkward moments because he didn’t have any footage to work with (one moment that stood out was the beginnings of the Harkonnen attack) but overall it felt pretty coherent. The picture quality was godawful; I didn’t realize it was SD-only because some of the footage isn’t available in HD and YouTube didn’t do it any favors.

It kinda made me tempted to buy that upcoming Dune 4K but I can’t remember the last time I watched the theatrical cut. It’s possible I’ve only previously seen the extended cut, and even that was years ago last. It’s a shame Lynch refuses to touch it anymore because there is clearly enough material for an “official” improved cut.

Maybe it’s because I recently watched Flash Gordon, but some of the production design felt similar. The clunky spaceships & aerial vehicles especially have some of that same vibe and both have some pretty baroque interiors. The shoddy compositing in Dune is also an unintentional callback… (seriously, how did parts of this movie end up looking so cheap?)

Even with a three-hour cut there were parts that felt really compressed. Paul turning into a Fremen and going all Lawrence of Arabia was very stunted. I just don’t know how you could have done better in a single movie without radically simplifying the beginning; there’s just too much stuff to cover for a single movie.

I have a lot of the same thoughts about that fan edit. I think it's kind of the best cut you can make with what was filmed, but it really does make it clear how rushed the production was or/and how out of hand it was because the entire third act is breakneck. But in that edit I also love how much better most of the movie flows.

david_a posted:

Maybe it’s because I recently watched Flash Gordon, but some of the production design felt similar. The clunky spaceships & aerial vehicles especially have some of that same vibe and both have some pretty baroque interiors. The shoddy compositing in Dune is also an unintentional callback… (seriously, how did parts of this movie end up looking so cheap?)

From the people who brought you Conan the Destroyer, The 1976 King Kong, etc.:

Also amusingly, some of the costumes from Jodorowsky's Dune are in Flash Gordon - The guards he plays football with were the old Sardaukar designs and there's a few others in Ming's court. :D

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

phasmid posted:

Ming went into hiding but Rabban found him. Then Shaddam cut off Rabban's head because he had seen too much.

This movie won't be good enough to have an extra bit after Jessica tells Chani about how history will remember them as wives where it shows the Duke's ring on the ground that Paul reaches out and takes while cackling with a THE END..... ? popping up to tease Dune Messiah.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Mike N Eich posted:

We watched the Lynch Dune movie last night for the first time in maybe 20 years for me. It's certainly has its problems, but not without its own charm. I enjoyed myself quite a bit, though that may have been 90% art direction and world building, as the meat and potatoes of the film are not exactly up to snuff.

One thing made me feel like I was experiencing the Mandela Effect though - I distinctly remembered seeing a scene where Paul was challenged by a Fremen to a knife duel, and Paul kills him and was then pledged that man's rations of water for the rest of his life. This wasn't in the version I saw and it drove me mad, until I went to youtube and realized it was a deleted scene likely inserted in the TNT versions of the film I saw in bits and pieces on TV. (Though the water part wasn't in any scene I could find, I may have just imagined that.)

This is correct, the knife fight scene wasn't in theaters or on VHS until much later releases had come out.

david_a posted:

That’s true for like 1/4 of that fan cut though :pwn:

Adds some genuine Log Lady energy to the Bene Gesserit intro. :D

I appreciate that the fan edit tops out at 480p to try to keep it consistent.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Payndz posted:

Mention of the Butlerian Jihad made me think: it's been a long time since I read past the first book (think I got as far as God-Emperor in my teens), but is Ix the only known world that isn't a feudal nightmare run by warring aristocrats or conquered by brutal religious fanatics? I remember thinking it sounded like the only planet where I might remotely want to live; is there a catch?

Many machines on Ix...

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

u brexit ukip it posted:

"Light your palm trees on fire" hate it, or "eternal vendetta against your entire family" hate it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWq15lDh8yM

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Nothing having the right color does sound more interesting on paper than how this looks though.

I mean I'm mega-hype for the movie because it's Dune+Villeneuve but still

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

I never understand where this notion that Dune has to look totally extravagant comes from. It’s not in the text. Lynch and Jodorowsky both took the fairly sparse physical descriptions and ran wild, but it’s not some great act of apostasy to render the visuals in a more subdued fashion. There’s plenty of striking visuals in the trailers, it just doesn’t smack you in the face with colors.

One of the earlier descriptions in the book is a globe of Arrakis that the Baron has. It sounds utterly antiquated and lacking any wild sci-fi imagery- it has very fine gold inlay for the latitude and longitude markers. That’s it. And yet if it was in the movie people would be like, “boring!!!”.

The book takes place in a stark desert and inside of caves. I never picture Lynchian stuff.

The Baron's threads and all of the Harkonnen heraldry is a blue griffon on a white field and there's a lot of green and red on Atreides uniforms. If they actually did stick to what color info we get in the book it wouldn't be subdued at all. It's just kind of weak to me if everyone's wearing dark grey/black when in the book the characters' inner voices and the narration often puts so much reverence and importance on their respective factions' colors and symbols.

That said, this trailer shows so more detailed outfits and colorful ones and I'm going to be seeing this in theaters opening night no matter what because it's Dune.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 23, 2021

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

phasmid posted:

Salty Star Wars nerds trying to distract ppl from how their trilogy is just Dune but with less plot and more muppets. May the tooth be with you.

Muppets Dune would whip rear end

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

This movie will be yet another Dune adaptation not brave enough to have chairdogs so it's not really going to be an issue.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Look up people with dark eyeball tattoos. That’s how it would read on the screen, dark blue, even full black eyes in dark scenes. Very alien and unrelatable which is not something you want out of half your cast probably.

When Herbert uses "blue within blue" to describe it often I always pictured something like the the super deep and rich layers of blues you see in old Middle Eastern bowls and some glasswork and stuff. With the sclera's blue color being a lot flatter looking than a typically moisturized human one but with the iris and pupil still being the darker and more prominent parts so that it still reads as a humanly expressive eye.

I go to bat for Lynch Dune all the time because I love it but the glowing effect of them there doesn't really convey it either, but I can understand the logistical nightmare of, like, having to either CG every single Fremen's eyes to how they're acting or also having to do some crazy custom contact lens for every on-screen Fremen actor so while I have a set idea in my head of how it "should" look I don't really mind the various attempts we've seen.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 23, 2021

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xealot posted:

I imagine a lot, there's obviously a ton of plot similarity between it and Dune.

Though also, blues and greens figure into a lot of Islamic art, and I could see that being at least partially because those colors contrast with the natural environment in much of the Arabian peninsula. Mosques and other institutions becoming these blue/green oases makes a ton of sense for religious purposes; these colors otherwise evoke lush plant life or the sky itself. There'd be something transformative about those spaces, and something eye-catching about people wearing garments or accessories in those colors. I could easily see that developing mystical or holy associations in Islam going forward, and that feels like the kind of visual detail Frank Herbert would've run with when writing these books.

Yeah Herbert definitely took a lot from this, and even from the first book you'll see him describe Fremen as wearing green outfits during various spiritual matters/ceremoney like when in mourning/etc.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

deoju posted:

Africa.

Fun fact: One of the dudes from Toto is the son of the legendary composer John Williams.

He composed the ambient music loops on Jabba's barge in ROTJ and also did stuff like that for the prequels IIRC, I know specifically at least the background stuff around the diner scene in Attack of the Clones

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

[futuristic lamentation music]

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Should just unironically use some of the tracks from the old Cryo Dune game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF_0W1cYPYo

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Many editions of it even have a glossary in the back in case your mind is too blown away by concepts an item called a chrysknife being a knife that is special or whatever. The presentation of the Lynch movie and the mini-series are debatable but the book isn't a difficult read at all.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Jewmanji posted:

The glossary is good and helpful, are you seriously ragging on the glossary?

Absolutely not, it owns hard, just that I think the overall difficulty of the book is exaggerated a lot.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

DarkSol posted:

Of course he was, in multiple ways, in fact. After all he was Paul's grandfather (thus providing part of the genetic bloodline for the Bene Gesserit to get their Kwisatz Haderach) and the long standing feud between the Atreides and the Harkonnens was the perfect cover for the Emperor to get rid of Duke Leto. The Emperor would have eventually had to get rid of him (or his heir), just like he got rid of Leto, since the Baron had eyes for the Imperial Throne.

The last part about the Baron having eyes for the throne himself. I love the party/arena fight scene in the book so much for how much you get out of that character's thinking and how at first his plan was [very long term to groom Feyd to maybe potentially get him or a descendent of his on the throne but as the scene is playing out he's like, wait, holy poo poo it could actually happen in my life time with me at the top? I love the line in his monologue of him standing atop a mountain promethian exclaiming "I AM WRONGED!" and rallying the other houses under him. I know it's all internal monologue stuff but I would love to see a bombastic Baron actor delivering all of that.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Blood Boils posted:

Can't put a price on kanly

I like how kanly is this long term vendetta war of assassins but also kanly is something you can just call out when you really want to knife fight one of your fellow nobles.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Call them dicks and when they land stick a potato in their exhaust port

This is why they have those Guild Janitors following them around in the Lynch movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I'm sure Brian Herbert and KJA were aware that the Jihad was a revolution against AI/advanced technology and not a literal Terminator robots rising against us scenario, they just consciously chose to poo poo on that to make a story as a easy as possible.

It's funny though like, with internet of things poo poo and Facebook's algorithms today the Jihad as worded in the original book of people thinking all this super tech will set them free but instead just lets some folks at the top control everyone even more efficiently is relevant.