Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Martman posted:

The book baron is literally the evilest dude ever to exist but he has huge George Costanza energy at the same time and it really adds an amazing counterpoint to the overall thread of questioning the "serious hero" narrative. I think you could absolutely attempt to craft a Vladimir Harkonnen for this movie who is not homophobic but still carries the same kind of absurd paranoid scheming villain energy in fun and wacky ways, but it feels like they just gave up on it. He was still cool as kind of a weird Northern European mob boss, and I understand the motivations to simplify his character, but it was probably the thing I missed the most.

The guy who plays Baron Harkonnen in the scifi miniseries gets to chew the scenery in exactly the way you're describing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P14BItB67zE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

Does anyone know what kind of instruments are played during "Armada" theme when the Sardaukar show up?

It sounds like motherfucking distorted bagpipes or some poo poo -- if that's even possible.

Starting right here,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8HzOPVIqaU&t=181s

It sounded more like distorted digeridoos or similar long wood flutes to me. It's not got the underlying dual-tone of a bagpipe.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

stratdax posted:

That's what they're saying. That's their point! He wouldn't be able to get away with it if he tried it on the spacing guild, because they're actually powerful, unlike the BG. The BG seem powerful but get dunked on every turn by even the most simple of rules lawyerings.

The Bene Gesserit through their services had a ton of soft power and influence, kept their abilities secret, and deliberately eschewed hard power for a long, long time. Their plans proceeded without hindrance and it worked very well for them right up until it didn't because someone had objectives straight counter to theirs and they had no recourse to the naked force everybody else could and did bring to bear.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Boris Galerkin posted:

Well ok, so the Fremen bribe the Space Guild not to put satellites in orbits. That’s fine and all but I’m asking why House Arteides, a space faring civilization capable of producing spacecraft and going to conquer/settle a planet, who fully knows that it’s a trap and that they’ll be attacked by the previous conquerors of the planet, who’s only avenue of getting to said planet was via space transport, did not send up their own satellites and other defense systems?

Space defenses aren't allowed by decree of the Spacing Guild (no accidents allowed with regards to Heighliners and they know what the Great Houses are like), and even an observation/weather satellite system requires their permission and their people to run it. Sending a frigate in a suborbital hop is also something that requires permission and overflights of the South Pole (and their terraforming zones) are something the Fremen pay a shitton of spice to prevent.

The Guild is absolute in space by treaty and law and they enforce their monopoly jealously.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Two and a half hours is a long film, but not the almost four hour cut DV made...

This movie has a what now?!

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Flappy Bert posted:

Reflecting as a non-viewer, I have a question on the politics and Leto that hopefully the book had something to say on.

With the Atreides being assigned Arrakis, what does Leto envision his plan as being? He thinks he's being set up to fail the spice production quotas, and his plan is to make peace with the Fremem to maximize production. Assuming that all goes well in a year or two, what then? Does he think the Fremen alliance will become military to set up independent power? Or does he want to sit back, collect cash, and set up Paul to maybe even marry into the imperial family?

The plan was to have enough Fremen enlisted with the Atreides to counter the inevitable Sardaukar, something that both Thufir and Leto think is a 1:1 ratio. They figured they could get their needed five battalions in a few months given Idaho's excellent relationship. The regulars could handily have crushed their Harkonnen counterparts. What actually happened was that two legions, probably about 4x that, of Sardaukar along with the Harkonnen army dropped in about ten days after the family made planet fall. They had little fortification up, their retreat had to be improvised which put them in caves that the Harkonnens brought explosives to collapse on them, and the house shields which would have still bought considerable time were sabotaged.

After the invasion they intended to tie the emperor up with the Landsraad hopefully with living sardaukar in evidence that he had his hand in the cookie jar. After that, dig in, use obscene spice money to terraform the place, win the population in earnest and keep building power.

Complications fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 1, 2021

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Long story short though was that the move to Arrakis was something that Leto thought was the set up to a more political death blow, not the final lowering of his head to the not quite literal execution block.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Jack B Nimble posted:

I did think it was kind of funny that losing to Jessica demonstrates weakness, but you can't fight her directly. It seems a little contradictory: either she's a legitimate warrior and losing to her in battle signals weakness and she may also accept challeneges in combat, or she's a spooky weirding woman and being bested by her is trickery that exists outside of the rules of their honor system.

Sayyadina or no, she's a water fat offworlder. Those people pretty much all suck at fighting by fremen standards. Stereotypes and prejudice are still bullshit in Dune.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Randalor posted:

We've gotten 3 RTS out of Dune and barely scratched the surface of stuff they could put in. Just keep giving me that sweet, sweet non-canon House Ordos.

Crushers and monitors sound so fun, and are perfectly within the capabilities of an engine like Supreme Commander's. I want to start off a mission smashing an enemy base flat with an orbital drop before unloading troops all over it and making it mine.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Jack B Nimble posted:

Want a plot hole? Why is a carryall capable of carrying a spice hauler but not able to just pick up the crew?

My personal take is that the Harkonnen designed that model and they didn't give a shiiiit.

It's because in the books the carryall is hijacked by a sleeper agent and fucks off since the condition of the equipment the Atreides has been left was exposited on earlier in the text. It's a neat bit of storytelling to still get that exposition in without adding the scene but yeah they should've adjusted the evacuation proportions or something.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

FTL communication as used in science fiction is usually distinct from someone carrying messages on FTL ships, but you're right that it's still faster-than-messages-sent-at-c.

I'm enough of a nerd that I spent one or more posts in the GBS thread theorizing about whether the Guild Heighliners travel in a hub-spoke model, ad-hoc where they need to, or whether it's more like a planned set of routes on a time table.

Probably a combination of all three. You've got planets like Kaitain that'll have a lot of direct to-and-from traffic for goods alone due to population or importance or whatever that'd be a hub and then there's longer general trade routes around long series of major Great House planets and then more rare special charters for when something needs to go somewhere rapidly. It's a million+ worlds there's room for diversity.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Neo Rasa posted:

Duncan is basically the younger new model of Gurney. They're both the Duke's most badass fighters (though IIRC in the book it's said Gurney cam still defeat Duncan consitently when they train?) and greatest haters of Harkonnens.

I actually found it weird how little they interact at all considering that.

Gurney is the memelord of the house, throwing out quotes from plays and books in just about every sentence. Duncan does not meme. So he probably thinks Gurney is a bit lame.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Kurzon posted:

It occurs to me that a warrior who combines those shields with conventional body armor would be unstoppable. The Sardaukar wore body armor when they attacked Arrakis, but Duncan had no trouble knifing them. Do they not have Kevlar gorgets in the far future?

This is just Hollywood convention like where you can shoot arrows and stab longswords through platemail, like when Duncan takes some slashes directly to his armored chest and that kills him. The armor is there to telegraph that these are Serious Business Mooks and that's about it. Yes, obviously they should only be vulnerable at joints or whatever but nobody's got time for that level of choreography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Usually when movies change somebody's character it's to get rid of their agency and interests in favor of Big Protagonist Energy but Dune 2 instead changed Chani to have more agency and interests independent of Big Protagonist and I like it. She knew what she was about - freeing the Fremen from outside oppression. And when Paul switched from hurting the Harkonnen and freeing the Fremen to becoming the oppressor with the Fremen as enforcers she just left. gently caress yeah. Chani subsequently not getting dunked on in palace intrigue by a princess experienced in palace intrigues sets up new and weird things to do in Messiah and Children and Villaneuve's shown the ability to make fundamental character changes that aren't worse than the original. I'm down. Let's see Messiah.

From a book fan's perspective... yeah, the movie could've used another 30-60 minutes properly setting up background politics, but it does pretty good implying that there's way more at work with the interludes at Kaitain anyway.