Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

esperterra posted:

ATTN STAR TRACK GOONS

If you would like to quote this post!

If you already have three gang tags, tell me which one you'd like to lose. If you don't want to lose any proceed w/ your own caution. The limit of gang tags is nebulous and you may get them axed by another mod or admin if they find your av/tag/text combo too excessive.

If you want your current tags rearranged or your text changed, I can do that as well.

I apologize ahead of time for the spam this might cause. It's just easier for me to organize and make sure I don't miss anybody! Feel free to quote me in your regular-rear end discussion posts if you were already going to say smth so we can keep this at least kind of neat.

thx in advance

This looks like fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Jake Sisko should’ve been the journalist for the hostile interview a the beginning of PIC. There would’ve been more to work with Jake’s experience of hostile automatons. That would’ve had more tension, civility, and sympathy for both characters not the ST:TMZ reporter character they used.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Tars Tarkas posted:

Brainstorming a bit but:

The season's themes seem to be environmental catastrophe and collapse of a centralized government. The dilithium disaster is coded as a mystery, but could easily track to it's original reference as fossil fuel and a return to it's scarcity, compounded by real world fossil fuels causing climate change, here they just got used too much and all blew up or something. Along with that environmental theme, Book is some sort of green jedi who can grow healing plants and talk to animals, he's even saving endangered species. The collapse of the Federation is probably best tracked through the movie The Postman (this also tracks with the USPS being dismantled by our dystopian leadership), with disaster compounded with other things causing collapse of the centralized government and cities walling themselves off until a guy shows up in the uniform of the past with a reminder of what was lost, and a way to communicate. This inspires the young and give nostalgia to the old who remember the old ways. With all starships exploded, millions/billions dead, and little to no way to reach other planets, people are going to freak out no matter how utopian it is. Eventually bad dudes pop up to take advantage of the situation and there isn't anyone to smack them down, and things fall apart. Of course, I could easily be reading too much into this, and it could all be Michael The Burn-ham's fault again.

This sounds like a cross between Postman and God Emperor Dune/WH40K's The Age of Strife

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

HD DAD posted:

Drunken Disco speculation. Spoilered just in case.

Sahil mentions not knowing “how much of the Federation is out there”. Book casually drops that the Gorn had hosed up subspace. The season finale is titled “Outside”. What if we’re in some kind of territory of space that is absolutely wrecked, where both warp and long range communications are either unreliable or impossible. This area could be huge. However, the Burn could be a red herring of some sort, and there’s an outside force trying to keep this section of the galaxy cut off from the greater whole. Discovery pops up with its spore drive, bands everyone in this patch of space together, defeats the bad guy, and suddenly...the Federation is still there. Super alive and kicking and bigger than ever, and they’re really happy to have us back.

Could be super dumb but hey

If there's one thing these threads have proved over and over it's fan mad plots and speculation are 100 times more entertaining and engaging than the official product.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Kirk's logs are full of that kind of stuff.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Gonz posted:

The Starfleet Admiralty is probably devestated, if it even exists at all anymore.

Almost all Admirals are evil and murderous. Who better to reconstitute Starfleet Command than Georgiou?

At best upper management is “your problems aren’t their problems”. But with cold blooded attrition and genocide.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Haven't seen the season until this episode.

1) Man, everyone's acting is overwrought.

2) There goes Micheal again, trying to "fix" things.

3) Hold Burnham hostage, send Saru to get the data.

Why is everyone in Discovery verse a complete rear end in a top hat?

edit
Holy poo poo, that is David Cronenberg. Give HIM a Star Trek series.That's actually well scripted and acted.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Nov 13, 2020

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Triple Post, damnit.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Double Post

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Who was being an rear end in a top hat this episode? The admiral who was absolutely right to be cautious and did nothing wrong?

Lt. WIlla was a complete rear end in a top hat. Smart rear end answers, bitch attitude until the prerequisite 5th act denouement, but she's right, Tilly and Stamets are totally unprofessional.

Admirals are expected to be sociopathic assholes. It's how corporate America Starfleet works.

quote:

Also why would you keep a first officer as collateral when the captain volunteers instead?

Sure, let's send the one who started the Klingon/Federation war and keeps stepping on her CO's answers and butting heads with the head of Starfleet.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Discovery's crew has been together for 900 years. They're do for rotation.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Okay so keep both of them and let Lt. Nilsson lead the mission. :v:

Also she didn't start the war. T'Kuvma did.

Federation apologist.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

This show is so overwrought.

This is a great quote from the Elliot Page thread:

quote:

A thing that used to be great about trek was that it was primarily a workplace. If you were a shape-shifting blob or a host-linked parasite or a robot or a non-binary human, cool, but your primary identity was your rank and role. Personal identity was ultimately subsumed under a common goal. I think this is now not considered to be good (or at least not ‘woke’) so identity is given a bigger emotional weight in the modern shows, and the characters are made to be unrealistically insecure in those identities to play up the drama. I don’t like it, personally. It sure as hell doesn’t come across futuristic and it’s bleak to portray a future where people are STILL insecure about gender or uncomfortable about discussing it.

The Adira/pronouns and Agent Cronenberg are the interesting parts of the show. It feels like older Star Trek, exploring relationships, overcoming conflicts, and doing things. In previous ST iterations, characters did things and we learned about them along the way. In Modern Trek, we get a real time almost live social media like commentary inner dialog as the action/drama/situation happens.

Kovich is the most interesting character on the show. Why? Because the only things we know about him are what pushes or illuminates the plot. His lack of inner turmoil or insecurity is quite refreshing.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I hadn't caught that one, but honestly... I'd say possibly. It's not an easy finger-point at a 1:1 rip, but if you tilt your head and squint you can kinda see similar design aesthetics between the Systems Alliance dress uniform and the Picard-era Starfleet uniform around the collar and shoulders.

Still better than Discovery or those gray late 90s abominations.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Double post.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I liked the brief scene with Adira and Stamets, she fucks up and he corrects her. They take it personally but he shows that mistakes can happen for any reason and they are shown it doesn't make them bad or incompetent or anything. This stuck me because my job is very much managing teenage girls and I have a few that are very smart, very hard working and very good at what they do, but when they mess up and get told about it, they get really upset. I always try to make sure that they know they're not in trouble, this doesn't make us feel like they're not up to their jobs or anything. Everyone makes mistakes, everyone does something without thinking, and you get in trouble.

I worked in an environment very much not like this.
It really fucks with your head.

The actors always have more fun in mirror universe.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Cronenberg and exploring pronouns were the most interesting things about this season.

Every time Kovich is on screen: "Finally, a professional."

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

I wish Burnham didn't have a contract that stipulated how much percentage airtime must be devoted to them and their godlike powers, but whatever. At this point I'm waiting a reveal that she's not 100% human but has Q powers.

What’s up with this? Is this a real thing?

Does SMG have that kind of pull to put in a contract?

That’s almost Shatneresque in need for attention.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

MichiganCubbie posted:

This is going to get fanficy, but I wish they had Into Darkness go into a story about Starfleet rushing to the Romulans for answers and then helping them with a possible exodus from Romulus, now that we know the star is going to blow. Have this culminate in the Enterprise being in a firefight with someone, maybe Admiral Marcus as a hardliner not wanting to help the Romulans, and a Romulan Bird of Prey, captained by the guy who plays Sarek in the new movies, flies in to help the Enterprise.

This is the different reality where he can call Kirk friend.

Every Star Trek thread has a few posts where goons come up with more creative pitches than what is produced. This is one of them.

Mine is Cumberbatch should’ve been Harry Mudd instead. Or one of Khan’s supermen, not Khan himself because waking up space Hitler is a dumb idea.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

MichiganCubbie posted:

Cumberbatch was great casting for any number of characters, but not one of Indian/Sikh origin originated by a Mexican actor. It was a terrible example of whitewashing.

I really like the idea of him as any of Khan's crew. He can still be a superhuman even if he isn't Khan.

At least give an explanation why Khan, a well known and studied figure of human history, looks like an Eton graduate.

Let him give a snide comment about how 23rd century medicine is great at plastic surgery but can’t solve childhood illnesses like he cured to blackmail Starfleet terrorist.

Can’t they deep freeze children until they find a cure? Oh wait, JJ Abrams.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

My favorite part was when JJ flat-out lied to people about it

Mine too. That was actually fun. More movie makers should lie about the plots of their movies in case their plot twists are ease to guess.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

SpeakSlow posted:

I mean, screaming "Space Hitler" every thread is an easy way to dismiss the Emperor Georgiou thread in Disco, but really it's a nature versus nurture issue aka Grant Morrison Earth 2 issue.

tl;dr: Georgiou redemption good, stop it with the purile Space Hitler criticism already. It's boring.

All of this is true but its execution sucks.

Nodosaur posted:

drat Star Trek fans, they ruined Star Trek!

As soon as someone loves something they corrupt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Alchenar posted:

I don't actually think it's an unfair characterisation of the problem with Discovery's writing (once you get past the bile and hateful agenda the writer has).

Take the Vulcan episode for example. The factions on the planet aren't treated as a set of groups with overlapping interests and equities that conflict with each other and need to be treated with nuance and respect, they're treated as a bunch of squabbling fools who are blind to the big picture and need Michael to step in and give them a teary eyed speech about why they should just do what she wants.

Take Trill. Exactly the same problem. Picard would have realised that the planet is tinder and Adira is a match and the episode would have been about negotiating access to the pools in a culturally sensitive and respectful way. Michael is all 'gently caress your religion' and just does whatever she wants because She Is Right.

These are not stories about 'not engaging the Nazis in good faith'. These situations are set up as nuanced problems where in reality you'd want to balance the interests of everyone involved, and instead Disco says the answer is gently caress You I'm Right.

Ah, the Federation Savior Complex.