Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Finally a good thread for good movies on this boring forum! Y'all warm my heart, much love

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Who What Now posted:

The PT are mostly fine, but Midichlorians, every love scene with Anakin and Padme, and the two-hour fight on Lava planet are all inexcusable and yet people keep trying to excuse them.

What's inexcusable about any of that?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

sponges posted:

Prequel haters treat those movies like they’re the word of satan and they’ve appointed themselves Helen Lovejoy

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Majorian posted:

It really can't be overstated how bad the acting in the OT is. Which is weird, because most of those actors are really, really good actors usually. George is a terrible director of actors.

True enough

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

zoux posted:

Here's the thing: the prequels suck

The compulsion to moan over the prequels is insignificant compared to the power of liking the prequels

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

We watched R2 gently caress the death star actually

And cloud city, and I think maybe the bunker on endor

The James Bond of beeping toolboxes

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

The prequel fans have a lot more honor and courage than the Disney faction though so I would totally support you guys in the final battle

too bad we're coming for both camps

And it's not gonna be much of a battle, we have the highest ground, the truth: the prequels are good

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Majorian posted:

The lesson here is that George Lucas is a bad filmmaker.

Finally some consistency in prequel hate - OT hate!

And thx and American graffiti I suppose

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Majorian posted:

That's fine that you believe that. Ed Wood had his fans too. Michael Bay certainly does. Most people disagree though.

Bay is extremely successful, precisely because so many people like his stuff!

Aren't nerds supposed to worship logic/reason? Try using it in your claims bro

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Re: the tone

I remember Roger Ebert wishing there was a Han Solo character to bring some skepticism/awareness to the table, but that would have ruined the joke.

The Jedi and the Senate are too complicit to listen to a nerf herder like jar jar or a slave like Anakin - they just subsume them into the system

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jan 29, 2020

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

The senate definitely listened to Jar Jar's plea for space fascism. If only they hadn't.

He was duped by Space Hitler

The William Mackenzie King of the frog dinosaurs

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Who What Now posted:

There were zero boobs in gold bikinis they are garbage movies

Phantom has a dec rear end shot of an alien gal watching the death race

Clones has Natalie Portman in a leather corset in front of a raging fire

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Who What Now posted:

Broke: ST
Woke: OT, PT, ewoks
Bespoke: Auralnauts, Black Star Warrior, Troops, that tie fighter anime

Fixed

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

ItBreathes posted:

The Prequel haters are all pretty unified in the dialogue sucking rear end and the acting being wooden. Why the Prequel lovers keep trying to talk past this I'll never know.

We've all seen the OT; lovers know what to expect from star wars.

Haters I can only assume haven't rewatched the OT since they were children and are relying on heavily rose tinted nostalgia memories

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Majorian posted:

I can't speak for all the people critical of the prequels here, but I've watched all of them quite recently, in the lead-up to "Rise of Skywalker."

And you consider the acting and dialogue in the OT to be good?! :cmon:

We can always compare examples to similar scenes in the prequels, to stay on topic.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

2house2fly posted:

Are you Han Solo bragging about how quickly the Millennium Falcon made the Kessel Run? Because I think you're using words whose meaning you do not understand!

Lmbo

"Your honor, how dare they say such things about my client, Yoda the kung Fu space pope. Just because he lead an army of slave soldiers doesn't mean he was complicit in slavery! Anyways they weren't slaves, they were very happy"

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Bongo Bill posted:

I never hear people complaining that A New Hope is boring and confusing because it's about farming, because that would be an obviously stupid thing to say about that movie. And yet for even less reason there are complaints that The Phantom Menace is boring and confusing because it's about taxes. The truth is, however, that it's not, and moreover it's clearly not. My Pollyanna-like hope is that this statistic will prompt someone to think about what's actually in the movie, instead of what was in the RLM review.

If fans could think, there would be none of us here ;)

Majorian posted:

Some of the acting and dialogue is quite good. Some is really clunky. Like I said earlier, it’s not Shakespeare. But I see a noticeable drop in quality in both the writing and the acting in return of the Jedi. I kind of feel like you’re being a little willfully obtuse in denying that.

:ironicat:

Edit: like dude, you were saying earlier that the acting was naturalistic and that rotj was one of the 2 well directed og films

Why do such damage to your own credibility??

(Apologies if I'm mixing you up with somebody else)

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jan 30, 2020

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

*pounds table

Examples!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

euphronius posted:

So yes Ankle Biters has lower production values than Attack of the clones

Sometimes I worry that I will get bored with prequel hate, that it will lose it's hilarious "say anything!" desperation. But then fans find a new level and my faith is restored :3: I love them, they are so wrong but I love them

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

sponges posted:

Is your tactic here to post with such frequency that the people you’re arguing against give up from exhaustion? Is this like an attritional thing?

I’m not even judging, I think it’s working.

The truth will prevail in the end, it always does

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Sheev is more satanic than hitlery imo, and you can't fight the devil with violence, that's one of his tools

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

this is in fact the main point of lukes arc in return of the jedi

Yup. Too bad he drank too much Ewok milk and forgot the lesson

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Roth posted:

This thread is what I imagine purgatory to be like.

It's heaven to me.

I suppose I owe Pick an apology; I said this sub forum would be uninteresting but it's hella entertaining

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

gently caress off with this

unironically yes, it's the dominant posting mode in cined

Lol come back to Snyderdome, Cease, we miss you

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Guy A. Person posted:

I don’t even like the prequels but it’s smug bullshit like this that made me start siding with the fans of them over the years jfc

Guy, if only you knew the power of the liking the prequels

Join me, and together we will rule the fanboys like father and son!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Roth posted:

Is the Snyderdome thread this ridiculous? I'm going to have to start reading that one too.

It's amazing. This sub has turned out to be more fun than I expected but CD's star wars threads are great too - still lots of the same poo poo posts but much higher percentage of interesting effort posts and exquisite meltdowns

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

You guys ever think you will tell your children about how you better understood a kids movie than other fans who had a more literal and brand focused mindset?

I can't see myself divorcing my prequel dvds to breed with a woman, but yes

Really, would it even need to be said? Talk about an unfair comparison! What can a "literal brand focused mindset" even understand about storytelling

poor JivJov, thought of jakkuoine and died

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

yeah this elaborate canon of posters that cined hates is weird as poo poo, leave it in that forum

JivJov is legend and I genuinely love him?

Son, just because someone disagrees with you about Yoda or batman, doesn't mean they hate you

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Burr and Favreau are of Abram's generation, I would not be surprised if they hate the prequels.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

I guess I don't see how it's racist towards real world minority groups that they make fun of Gungans since Gungans don't speak with any real world accents and in no way represent them, as we've discussed

Bill Burr is a poo poo though iirc so

It's racist towards Gungans. Regardless of the show runners intent (I agree with ruddiger that they think it's funny and probably didn't even think of it's moral implications) it's still characterization for Burr's character and the world of the Mando. Same with treatment of jawas

You joke, you rascal you, but that's not quite what the Gungan discourse has concluded.

It's obvious to everyone but the most sheltered of nerds that they don't sound like any actual Carribean accent (and besides Ahmed Best, all their voice actors are white Englishmen), nor does their physical appearance or culture resemble any specific group of people.

They literally are a minority within the story, but the arguments to tie them 1:1 onto an IRL race will always go off the rails. It'd be more accurate to say they represent minorities in the abstract. And so, depending how folks react to and speak about them, that absolutely can take on the appearance of prejudice.

I was gonna just say prejudice, but Roth has made the reasonable request to try to make a little more effort/sincerity, and truthfully I don't really think most prequel haters are bigots - even when they say stuff like "Jar Jar is intended by Lucas to represent a black Rastafari and I hate everything about Jar Jar but it's Lucas who is problematic for making me sound crazy" - that's due more to their reliance on half baked memes than genuine racism. At least I hope so, that's an almost direct quote from a friend :eek:

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

he made the movie wrong as a joke

See like, this person is almost certainly a normal, reasonably smart and funny adult when not talking about fantasy space movies. But like many, they just can't resist the siren call of "pretending to or refusing to understand things is a position of strength when arguing"

This is what is meant when we accuse y'all haters of having internet brain or meme worms

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

euphronius posted:

It’s a paint by numbers western which is good becuase westerns are good

Imho

I've only seen a few episodes but Mando is def on Rogue 1 levels as the best thing to come out of Disney's star wars.

Good, almost great, but dragged down by too many overt nostalgia references. Sometimes it's fine, but too much is pointless and embarassing

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

nobody has watched koyaanisqatsi. get thee behind me, satan

Baraka is better

sponges posted:

The completely unearned smugness here. I wanna kiss it.

:kiss: hello tone police? It's Y Cant Ozma Post, I'd like to report a smugging no it wasn't me

Cease to Hope posted:

prequel haters posting the "bad acting," "nonsense plot," "ugly cg" memes, get some new material smh

Yes please. Or at least attempt to flesh out the memes into actual arguments using evidence from the good/bad star wars

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

man, this is a fun thread. gently caress off with this internet stalker poo poo, you incredible loving creep.

It's not stalking to remember the arguments/conversations you have within the dying gay forums

This accusation only worked on BotL because he was widely disliked, I don't think ruddiger is quite there (and I hope he doesn't! Chill bro!)

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

2house2fly posted:

This line is often held up as an example of bad dialogue, but it's pretty decent actually. Highlights the inequalities of the setting by contrasting his experiences as a slave in the desert with Padme's as a queen of a holiday resort, foreshadows the later events where they go to two sand planets and gently caress everything up, and serves as a shy young man's oblique way of confessing his feelings to his crush. Does a lot of heavy lifting!

Agreed, plus it's funny. It's good, on purpose!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

CainFortea posted:

It's supposed to be sweet and endearing. We can tell that because of the lighting, the scenery, and the music.

Are you familiar with return of the living dead?

Music is as reliable as narration. You should trust your feelings; both characters ARE awkward weirdos

Edit: weird beyond just believing in liberalism and authoritarianism; they're both already heavily involved in religion and politics and are veterans of armed conflict, having killed other sentient beings

They're not normal young people

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 2, 2020

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

are you familiar with star wars? the soundtrack is always incredibly on the nose. if it's a sinister scene, they'll sneak the imperial or vader motifs in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_xUviDPUOE

C'mon, you wouldn't be this credulous if it came from a politician or news editorial, don't get tricked just because it's music/art!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

yes. I've seen return of the living dead. it's an incredibly different movie.

lol the clip is literally saying "not every lesson from a different movie is applicable to this one"

No, try again Freddy.

Put aside your Supposed-To targeting computer, and reach out with your feelings

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

And peep those page views!

I'm not surprised; the prequels are just that entertaining and interesting

even people who don't enjoy them can't resist revisiting and dwelling on them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006