Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I had to rage quit the tutorials for this bc of the overkill mechanic (I can’t remember the name) tutorial with Darius where you can deal lethal damage but the game is scripted to only resolve the tutorial if you do it a certain way but I came back to it and figured it out after smoking some weed about it.

I’d say they should patch it out but it’s a good lesson in ordering and the way stacking and ordering works outside of the actual literal stack for spells, it was just delivered in the most annoying way possible and I wasn’t even noticing the subtle hints it was giving me about upgrading Darius bc I was mad that I failed it with lethal damage

Yes, that tutorial is the only one that's a bit unintuitive because the game does not tell you (or if it does, I missed it), that the attack order resolves from left to right, instead of being simultaneous like Magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Zotix posted:

Are there ant good content creators you guys have found for LoT?

Swim is pretty good, has decent videos aimed for beginners, has guides for cheap meta decks and upgraded starter decks.

This video is pretty helpful for starters https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_xeAB2gepo

Also Phreak (yes, that Phreak) is pretty popular as well, but I've not seen much from him.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
This game kinda reminds me about the Vs System, all the emphasis about tempo, alternating turns, buffing and value trading gives a similar vibe.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Just completed my first expedition and I got 7 wins in the second trial, it was an absolute rollercoaster of emotions because I started losing and winning games alternatively since the third match until the end. I picked 3 Fioras and in hindsight she's kind of a trap option, too unreliable, only triggered her autowin power 3 times, and I'm sure I would habe won those matches anyway. In the end what carried me was quality minions and combat tricks.

I really like how generous the rewards are for expeditions, and the game in general, compared to other tcgs.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Somehow I've won my second expedition with a crappy demacia freljord deck. Some games were unreal, there are people running around with literally constructed level decks.

Can I get some advice about which direction to go with this one?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The way it worked in hearthstone, if you used a unit to gobble up another unit and then silenced it, that gobbled unit is gone forever, that's how I would expect that interaction to work and not just release the detained unit because that should be silenced off.

No Wave posted:

I'd pick the Anivia bucket and hope I get a Tryndamere later on (elnuks are also op so I like being open to them). I'm probably being too influenced by the quality of that bucket overall. The only reason to pick the Shen bucket is to hope you get lots of elusives later but I dont like drafting like that. Really depends on how you like drafting and what you're comfortable with, there's an argument for any of them (I don't like the sound of Demacia PnZ but maybe it's good idk).

I've only done expedition five times so I'm not qualified to give firm advice. Your previous pick looks more questionable tbh, urchin is average, funsmith is very bad and Ezrael is below average/extremely unreliable but idk what else you were offered.

I'm probably going to choose Anivia here, it's going to be a learning experience for sure. I've already done a winning expedition with a Fiora deck before.

About my previous pick, it was Draven/Shen/Ezreal with really underwhelming buckets iirc.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

To whoever told me Elnuks were great in expeditions.

Thank you.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Eraflure posted:

Yeah I'm just taking a break until SI gets nerfed. So loving tired of playing against them every single game.

I've been playing a championless "aristocrats" SI/Freljord deck since launch to great results, but bugger me, the SI/Freljord control decks with Warmother's Call are even more unfair. SI in general is really pushed up in constructed.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
I've been burned by RNG in expeditions for the first time, lost to every shadow islands deck I encountrres, which is like half a dozen times, at least. Rekindler is a very busted card.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
My first trial this week had some outrageously powerful cards like Hecarim, double rekindler, Rhasa etc and I only got two wins. The second trial I drafted a super lovely deck that's still going strong at four wins. RNG I guess.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
So glad they decides to change the ui for cards owned in the deckbuilder, it was friving me insane.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
The update is in. They were not kidding about the speed upgrade.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
The game is flooded by aggro decks right now or it's just me?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Hecarim plus whatever, spiders, zed elusives, demacia elites, noxus based decks.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
I'm a boring player and I just value stats, removal and solid combat tricks above everything else.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

And that's how I've just got my first 0-win trial, double loving catastrophe in a single turn.

You may ask, how did you not kill him earlier? Easy, he played 4 kinkou lifestealers, plus some other lifesteal stuff. gently caress my life.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 5, 2020

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Finally caved in and crafted a Hecarim deck, and even won against a Heimer deck who had great draws and flooded the board with strong turrets but managed to pull through with a combination of rekindlers and a massive harrowing. This is bonkers and I'm sure it will get nerfed at some point.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Just had the shittiest expedition ever, 0 and 1 trials, got baited both times by good early buckets with aggro cards that dried up later. Oh well, back to the ladder to spam Hecarim I guess.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
I was getting dunked by a demacia/ionia barrier deck, but I set up a rekindler to revive Hecarim (again) and go for a last push on turn 10, of course he had a much better board than me.

Rally+Harrowing is so satisfying.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Rally is a feast or famine mechanic, however when you are crushed by it people remembers how unfair it feels.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
I got two champs as well in one chest.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
I'm really not used to such massive changes in my digital-onlyTCGs coming from Magic and HS. I lile that they are willing to completely redesign already existing chards fron the get go.

I need to digest all of that but they seem decent changes overall, even if it wrecks some of my most played decks. Fully leveled Hecarim seems hilarious though.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Dumb question: Kalista needs to be on the board for her level-up clause to "see 4 allies die" to trigger, right?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

"I've seen" on the levelup text usually means they have to be on the board instead of just having stuff happen before being played.

Ok, I was not sure about this one, thank you.

Edit: nvm

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 16, 2020

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
I think the game is generous enough to not be a disadvantage for F2P, maybe that will changw when the card pool increases.

In other news, I haven't been playing much lately, and yesterday I thought I had level 10 vault unlocked, so I didn't bother playing, turns out I was only lvl 9, so no expedition for me this week. I mean, I could pay for it, I have 21k shards, but I just don't feel it.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
New patch is out https://playruneterra.com/en-us/news/patch-0-9-3-notes/

The main changes are on the economy especially the vault reward structure, which now gives a guaranteed champion wildcard on level 10+ and the expeditions token is now a reward for level 2+. Speaking of expeditions, it's entrance cost is reduced however the rewards are also worse.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Do we know if the current champions will rotate out?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
My only rule of thumb in expeditions is to prioritize bodies with decent stats and good combat tricks, so I usually end up with decks revolving around demacia or noxus, boring but pretty effective.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Pilchenstein posted:

Yeah, the main issue I have with aggro or elusives or frostbite decks is that I cannot guarantee I'll draft enough of what I need to make them work.

That's why you can't really force an archetype, and especially not in the first three or four picks, you always have the risk of your needed picks to dry up and end up with a deck with all the wrong synergies.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
That's a buff girl.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Just finished my weekly expeditions, got 0 wins on the first one thanks to me trying to force spiders and failing horribly and got 7 wins on the second on, courtesy of just picking beefy guys, elusives and combat tricks (demacia+ionia), the cherry on top is that I got to activate Fiora's special in two games (she was my third champion).

Seriously, people who picks monodemacia and gets all the good cards are incredibly annoying.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
First expedition of this week, tried to force spiders and failed miserably because I got offered exactly 0 skitterers and picked too many weenies. Still got 5 wins but at that point I just couldn't compete against people with perfect decks.

Just look at this poo poo.

:wtc:

I probably made a mistake there but c'mon.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Apr 18, 2020

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Holy moly the spell squad got even better.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Dragon's rage seems turbo bad on it own as a 7 mana spell, but as a free ability on a leveled Lee Sin looks great.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Plunder poro art is so dreamy :allears:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Fizz is gonna be really annoying.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
I think the spell fizzles if you make him untargetable when the spell is in the stack as well. It's how it works in magic and makes sense in LoR considering that's how it works when you remove the legal target off the board, example: a single combat+will of ionia. I'm not sure how Rhassa's ability would resolve, though.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
I'm not sure I like the RNG of the toss mechanic combined with the cards that do something when tossed.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Pilchenstein posted:

Yeah, the debate is whether it makes him untargetable permanently or just by spells currently in the stack. I would hope it's the latter but they've not worded it clearly (as one of the loading screen tips says, if an effect doesn't say how long it lasts it's permanent).

Judging from the text and what's shown in the video, I think it will only affect the spells currently in the stack when the ability is triggered, if they made untargetable as a tag it would have been way easier to tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
I think tossing them only puts it in hand instead of discarding it from the deck, you have to play them as normal, unless I'm reading it incorrectly. Still 3 5/5 with fearsome and a late game trigger buff to 8/8 for a 5 slow spell is ridiculously powerful. It puts all the other 5/6 mana summoning spells to shame.