Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

Peachfart posted:

So basically the flu in non-lovely healthcare countries.

Possibly the ability to drink water that isn't hot helps too.

There might not be enough hot water to go round if all the nurses and doctors are sick too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

Please, while shopping for miniature replicas of Japanese guns do not forget. https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32902066969.html

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

GotLag posted:

40 years of telling people there's no society, to look only to their own needs, and that believing in anything bigger than yourself is the mark of a naive (and probably dangerous!) idealist.

Its crazy how chinese and western culture evolved to the same conclusion from different starting points

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

Cultures where there is a history of choreographed performance smells like militaristic heritage to me. Its a good way to maintain training in your population for when the northern invaders drop in.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

Banana Canada posted:

Savoury grass jelly? I'm game.

No joke, sounds dope.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

RE: making GBS threads
I did my post grad with predominantly Chinese student and the toilets were unusable past 10:30am. Those things got hosed in poo poo daily.

Then couple that with people clearing their entire sinus cavity in sinks and it was probably the worst disease vector in the whole uni.

BrassRoots fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 10, 2020

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

peanut posted:

larping w yr titties out

Sounds loving tops

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

I think you guys missed the bigger story this week. China put an 80% tariff on Aus barley leading to breweries having to pass on the extra cost to consumers since Chinese barley is not good enough for making beer.
https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/australasia/article/3086509/beijings-trade-spat-australia-could-make-beer-pricier-china

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

How do you put out worse barley than a literal coal-burning desert?

No why? Am I doing it right?

They're actually threatening to ban a whole bunch of Imports including beef and stuff. This wont stop Aus products getting in to China, it just creates middle man countries. Speaking with Chinese guy I studied with, he said it was a big deal to get Aus beef because no one over a certain income level trusted the Chinese beef.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

Can't remember where I saw it but there was talk of offering UK citizenship to Hong kongers if the bill went through. That would be a great middle finger to the PRC.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

After reading all the no why storied in this thread I dont have much faith in the Chinese armies abilities. Combined with the fact that the military rank structure is probably built on connection rather than competence makes it a recipe for a complete poo poo show. Still hoping we don't get to find out though.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

Blistex posted:

Being a Chinese national is going to be a massive red flag (lol) to be allowed into various levels of research and development in the west now that it's been shown on multiple . . . . oh wait! China and Chinese universities pay money.

To be fair, if it wasn't for Chinese students my research program would look uninhabited. I also met some really nice people who came from hard working families with no ties to government. One guy in his thirties even had several brothers around the same age. In Beijing. Then there were the kids who's parents were oil barons. loving bums and annoying as gently caress.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

like Saudi annoying

We had a lot of Saudis too. They were actually pretty cool but had real backwards ideas about stuff, as you would expect. but at least I got the feeling they did their own work instead of farming it out like the Chinese kids.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Was that linked to a specific event? I know there have been times when some right wing idiot in Japan did something stupid and there'd be mobs smashing sushi restaurants in China for a bit. You can always drum up active hate but I didn't encounter the kind of pervasive Japanese hatred that I did in Korea. I have no problem believing it's out there though, I just never ran into it that I can remember.

I always find it quite funny that the majority of sushi shops in Australia are actually run by Chinese and koreans. This is purely based on the shop keepers appearance and manner though. To me Koreans, Chinese and Japanese all look so uniquely different its pretty easy to tell them apart.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

It does have its utility as a face-saving excuse for suicide/alcohol poisoning.

There's also the thing about keeping windows open when the heater is on. That actually has a sensible basis, heating systems were just burning coal/wood/charcoal and people dropped like flies in winter from carbon monoxide poisoning. They actually mandated the window thing during the Park Chung-hee era to deal with the problem IIRC. Unfortunately, people forgot the actual reason behind it and it turned into "grandma said" wisdom, so now they still keep all the windows open while the electrical heater is on and doing nothing.

Nice. I was wondering when this news story would pay off. Fires have chimneys for a reason kids.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-08/two-people-die-at-kurrajong-property-north-of-sydney/6528930

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

Kharnifex posted:

Mekongs hosed, Laos, Thailand and Cambodia are a screwed

Huh? Can you explain more?

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

I have this weird feeling that once they are tested militarily that they will find out that all their 18chrome steel or whatever is actually only 14chrome steel and poo poo just falls apart because some guys was siphoning off a few millions to buy condos in Canada and Australia.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

snergle posted:

cross posting from the relationship thread but korea or china?

Sever. Setting herself up for divorce anyway if she moves there.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

Just started listening to the Dee episode. You guys have nice speech cadence. Nice and easy to listen to.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

Stayed in Yokohama Japan and went to a restaurant where only the dish boy spoke any English. We ordered by pointing at pictures and unintentionally ordered pigs intestine on sizzling hot plate. It was ok. Kind of like chewy peanut butter. Wouldn't recommend it though. Sushi was off the charts though. They also did a special regional kind with tiny shrimps.

Also, by flat do you guys mean the square ones? I like square chopsticks but can't abide by metal. Everything just slips off.

Forks are still supreme though. The only dish that requires chopsticks is shabu shabu.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

Yes, I had mine carved into dragon. It breathes fire.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

Porfiriato posted:

In the comments there’s video of the fall

https://twitter.com/ktse852/status/1528738445421531138

It’s not like the kid rams it or anything, just sort of bumps it with his backside and since it’s unsecured and super top heavy it goes right over. Seems scammy as hell to put something like that right in the high traffic entryway of a shop.

Uuuh. Kid clearly leans against it like he is leaning against a wall. Oh well poo poo happens. Not sure why everyone needs a villain and a victim. I did the sam as a kid in Indonesia. My dad had to fork out the cash then too (only like $50 though in the 80s)

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

Just dropping in from lurking to say this thread is #1 thread.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

I trust China to handle it fine tbh

Ditto. My expectation is that the building is competent enough but during operation, crews are exposed to unhealthy levels of radiation.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

That's the healthiest looking corpse I've ever seen.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

eSports Chaebol posted:

gently caress it, I wanna try the gutter wine

Australia also commits the mortal sin, they put metabisulphite into the vino. Gives me a loving headache.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Have you tried UHT milk? You can drink it out of the container without worry, and it doesn’t have that boiled milk taste

What are you talking about. It absolutely does have a super weird taste. Its also much sweeter than normal milk.

Still, beggars cant be choosers when you're desperate for English style tea.

E: aus milk comes from black and white milk specific cows. Ive only ever seen them in paddocks and never heard of barn raised or kept. New zealand would probably be "cleaner" tham aus if you were being very strict.

BrassRoots fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Feb 3, 2023

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

A lot of american milk has the fat taken out (2% etc). my guess is most euros are drinking homogenised full cream. When you take the cream out, the lactose concentratiin is higher. Thus, sweeter milk.

Generally milk is pasteurised. Doesnt taste as bad as boiled milk. Never had fresh myself.

Fyi UHT stands for ultra high temperature. They techically super heat it to like 135degC.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

I cannot wait. Its going to be a shitshow.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

It reads like a mission statement before an actual plan.

"Soverignty is good. All countries should have it"

OK...... so how do you use that logic to solve the current crisis? How does it apply to the current situation? Whay should countries do to ensure soverignty is respected?

I WANT ANSWERS DAMNIT!

E: this is not a serious post. My tongue is firmly in my cheek.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

Let me play devils advocate here:

Maybe his wife is pissed because he is useless and not a great communicator.

He should now tell her that yes, the whole family should move back to china. He can quit his job and they can all live there. He can then proceed to drink baiju amd sleep on the couch.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

We had a good run.

They need to get in line
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gosford_Glyphs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

Mangos are still goat. Never not amazing.